Book's Co-author on YouTube Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Books » This Is The Zodiac Speaking » Book's Co-author on YouTube « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   

Dr David Van Nuys, coauthor of "This Is The Zodiac Speaking: Into The Mind of a Serial Killer," discusses the Zodiac case, and his analysis of Zodiac's letters, in a series of short videos on YouTube.

The first was just launched, and will be followed by future installments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ME86R-m8I

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   

Thanks for the link. It was rather difficult for me to watch, though. Van Nuys looked everywhere but at the camera, plus he spoke as if he was talking to children.

The video was definitely meant for people who are rather new to the case.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   

I finally received my copy of "This is the Zodiac Speaking" yesterday. It looks to be a pretty good read, though I have already found some conclusions that I believe are without real foundation.

In this video, it is obvious Dr. Van Nuys is reading his dialogue while he is speaking, resulting in the less relaxed style of speech. Sort of like a morbid Mr. Rogers. Public speaking isn't the easiest, most natural thing to do, especially for someone who may be more comfortable writing. I applaud the effort.

I think it is great that he is using the medium of Internet video to address the movie-going public. Maybe this will help damper some of the myths the picture may propagate. It is a shame that most of youtube's audience will nix these videos in favor of those containing half-naked girls and idiotic comedians.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   

Yep, it's intended as an introduction to the case.
The first couple of videos were shot very quickly, and it shows. It's an experiment to see if people are interested, and if it would work in the medium of a video podcast on YouTube. We were also racing to get it onto the web before the movie opened.

The scope of the case would obviously take hours to present in a lecture format, and Dr Van Nuys probably will do a long audio podcast, but we're just giving this a try to see how the public responds.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   

He's obviously a well-spoken guy. It's just odd to hear someone speak about serial killing using that tone of voice. I was actually tempted to describe his delivery as similar to Mr. Rogers (as Yarbchris did above) but I didn't want to sound like I was bashing the guy.

I'll check out his future videos.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   

I wasn't trying to bash the guy, either. A lot of people that you hear on TV and such have been trained as speakers. I know from my own podcasting experience that my speaking abilities are sub par. I'm sure the content Van Nuys presents will outweigh any perceived deficit in speaking skills. I guess we can be a little overly critical sometimes, too.

Mike_kelleher
Username: Mike_kelleher

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:54 am:   

I've just seen David's three podcasts and I certainly enjoyed them. David and I no longer live in the same state so it's not very easy for me to keep in contact. I miss our dinners and conversation.

Anyway, this is a pure-out, blatant plug for David, my friend and co-author. He is an honest man who is not afraid of speaking his mind. If he makes a mistake, he'll step up and make it right. In other words, he's a man worth listening to. I could not have picked a better co-author, or a more honest one. I'm really looking forward to more of his podcasts.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration