This is the one! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Books » This Is The Zodiac Speaking » This is the one! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave
Username: Dave

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   

I really cannot say enough good things about this book. It deals with and relies soley on the facts of the case. The analysis of the Z letters are done almost sentence by sentence and, assuming you agree with the authors, reveal so much about someone we seem to know little of.

No plug here and I am in no way associated with the publisher. If you haven't read this yet, please do. It is utterly fascinating.

Dave

Scott_ben
Username: Scott_ben

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:30 am:   

I also wish to add my support for this book. I have read most zodiac publishings(accept for Times 17 which I believe to be rantings of a madman) This book does not include any reckless speculation or twisting of facts to meet any specific suspects.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:54 am:   

I've been talking with the co-author of "This Is The Zodiac Speaking," Dr David Van Nuys, about doing a video interview. He contributed psychological assements and profiles of Zodiac based on his letters.
We're still talking about what form the interview will take, and are very interested in questions or topics that people would like Dr Van Nuys to address.
Also, Dr Van Nuys deliberately assessed the letters without researching presumed knowledge or data about the case. The goal was a fresh perspective without the baggage surrounding the persona.
Are there any conclusions or observations in the book that would be interesting to reassess in conjunction with subsequent knowledge?

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:37 am:   

This scholarly and well-written volume I consider a must-have for any student or researcher of the Zodiac homicides. Drs. Kelleher and Van Nuys have painted a portrait both vivid and disquieting of an extraordinarily cold-blooded killer whose viciousness was overshadowed only by his astounding ability to manipulate the media and adapt, these strategies – along with considerable luck on Zodiac’s part – constantly permitting him to stay several homeruns ahead of law-enforcement. The authors adhere to nothing but hard facts and do not repeat the obtrusive errors that other Zodiac researchers have made in their analyses of the case. All in all, an excellent study of the subject, packed with fascinating insight – one that cannot be recommended highly enough.

It is intriguing to note that of all the major Zodiac suspects, only one fits the superb behavioral profile presented in the book on numerous vital counts. I am in no doubt that Dr. Howard Davis is already aware of this.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:11 am:   

I've followed and read this case since the '80's and must say this is simply the best book on the Zodiac case I have ever read, bar none. If you are new to the case, forget Graysmith and start here first! The author follows the crimes and the reactions to them by the police, the media, and the killer himself in chronological order. A realistic, logical analysis of what must have been going through the killer's mind as he commited his crimes and their aftermath is examined - important for a good understanding the killer’s true motivations. He commits a crime, writes a letter, the letter is then analyzed sentence by sentence. Kelleher's work makes you feel as if you are almost an invisible third person seated beside the killer. Before reading this book, I thought I knew a lot about this case. After reading Kelleher’s work, it all just kind of “clicked.”

Exiled
Username: Exiled

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:55 am:   

I have to agree with these other posts; this is the definitive book on the subject....and Kevin you are right on the money, you can skip Graysmith's docu-novels and start with "This is the Zodiac speaking"....for the first time the reader gets to truly delve into the mind and psyche of the killer...and you really get to see how pathectic and desparate the fugitive ultimately evolves into. Bravo! Kelleher & DR. Van Nuys, we finally have a legitimate case study that has been long overdue.

Joanne_in_mb
Username: Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   

Exiled, I got the book for Christmas and I loved it.

http://www.JoAnnesPage.net

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

I really enjoyed this book. I particularly like how it read more like an investigative report rather than a novel as Graysmith's did (badly I might add)

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   

I liked it, too. The case per se is screaming for some objectivity, and I'm also looking forward to Michael Butterfield's book.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   

Didn't know he had one coming out, any details?

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   

See the News Center...

Flashram
Username: Flashram

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   

I just finished this book, and I agree. It is currently the cream of the crop on Z books.

Although I do not necessarily agree with all of Nuys' statements. I am looking forward to Butterfield's book as well.

I will admit, I started in with RG's book, and then ZU, but after studying this board (also hearing people's claims of RG fabricating stories over the years) I've discredited them. I do think they are good reads though.

Doug, you do not sell Dr. Zodiac at all anymore? I'm still interested in reading it, even with the RG errors.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   

Flashram, I think Dr. Zodiac is a thing of the past. Graysmith's errors aside, I think the real problem with it is that it got very dated very fast. Hardly had I gotten it ready for distribution when a plethora of Kaczynski-related information came to light, and it all happened right in the middle of a major career change for me, so I never had the time to make the necessary alterations. My new book is much more thorough, much less "campy," and doesn't try to be a general book on either Kaczynski or the Zodiac.

However, if you're really interested in the old book, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do about getting you an unofficial copy.

Flashram

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   

Ah, what of this new book? Is it out/When will it be out?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   

Flashram, I thought everyone knew. I just finished it; it's called The Unabomber and the Zodiac, and right now I'm working on a proposal to submit to prospective agents/publishers. Essentially it's a straightforward look at the major similarities between the two criminals in terms of psychology, criminal signature, locations and dates, intellectual eclecticism, bomb-making, cryptography, mathematical references, physical descriptions, literary allusion, meta-codes, style and tone, and handwriting. I've spilled some ink going over the major objections to an actual linkage, along with opposing points-of-view, of course.

I had fun writing it (though it was quite a chore) and I'm hoping people will get a chance to read it in print form. Barring that, I'll publish it myself in e-book format, just as I did with Dr. Zodiac.

Flashram

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   

I haven't ran across that info yet, There's so much on this board to sink my teeth into I'm sure I'll continually overlook something. I look forward to reading it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration