The Official Movie Website Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Movies » David Fincher's "Zodiac" » The Official Movie Website « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:19 am:   

First of all, here's the address: www.ZodiacMovie.com.

Now, I know there's already a thread of discussion that touches on the movie site, but I feel it requires its own dedicated thread. So here we go.

If you click on the recently-added "Zodiac timeline" link, you'll see a background image of a Bay Area map, an image that is credited to someone's personal archives. The crime scenes are marked by red dots.

Now, I know I'm just a regular dude and have no Beemers or Flash technology, but I do have a brain. And my brain noticed that the red dot marking the Stine murder scene is actually in the ocean.

I know, you're thinking the same thing I was thinking: Police and media conspiracy! The Zodiac forced Stine to drive his cab into the Pacific Ocean before killing him! Another water connection!

But come on folks, let's get real. There's probably another explanation for the floating red dot. After all, don't forget who the map came from.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:25 am:   

By the way, I felt quite flattered after visiting their site. To no surprise, quite a few of their images were lifted from good ol' Zodiackiller.com. Of course, I don't own the rights to 'em, so whatever. However, prior to being borrowed, many were marked by me (in a subtle way) as kind of a signature. So there.

Maybe I can get some free tickets???

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:28 am:   

At closer inspection, that red dot appears to be right next to the Sea Cliff home of Robin Williams!!!

More errors to come. So far I've noticed the bad dots and wrong Herman Road gate. What's next?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:35 am:   

Oh my, that map is so funny.

They have some highway between Blue Rock Springs and Lake Herman Road. They have the Berryessa crime scene miles away from the water. And of course Stine was killed in the ocean.

I have beer coming out my nose.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:40 am:   

In looking closely at it, the LHR site appears to be close to the intersection of I-80 and Highway 21 (modern I-680), right by Cordelia and several miles north of Lake Herman, instead of half a mile east of there.

BRS appears to be between Highway 29 and I-80, in or near American Canyon. In reality, it's just 4 miles by road from the LHR site and east of I-80.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:23 am:   

"In 1998, Riverside's long time prime suspect had his DNA was tested against..."

Between the factual errors and typos, I need a drink.

Jeezus H Christ. If I can make the effort to have people proofread my website updates, what in the f*** is the excuse of those who actually have better resources???

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:09 am:   

And who spent $85,000,000+ on their flick... kinda makes one wonder about the bloopers I'm sure they missed...

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   

They list the desktop poem as being discovered in December 1967, even though it's listed as a 1966 event in their timeline.

They claim all three Bates letters were signed with a particular symbol, even though all three can be seen at the site and clearly one has no symbol.

They claim Riverside's top suspect was once Cheri's boyfriend, and that he was cleared via DNA in 2003:
1) He wasn't her boyfriend
2) He was cleared in late 1998; 2003 was when I did my update featuring an interview with him

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   

The timeline says that the poem was "written on the underside of a desk." I've always heard it referred to as the "deskTOP poem." I imagine that it wasn't the underside, unless someone turned their desk over to write on it.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   

It is my understanding that the poem was written on the bottom of the desk with a blue ballpoint pen. I have heard that the desk was possibly stored upside down, making it easier to write on the bottom. I am not certain, but it seems likely the poem was discovered while the desk was in such a position. Michael D Kelleher says it was the underside of a desk in "This is the Zodiac Speaking." In both Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked, Graysmith says it was written on a desktop, so the movie timeline differs from Graysmith's presumption in that respect.

Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   

I like how the web site, in Cheri Jo Bate's report, included the line "Riverside Police, to this day, are convinced that this was not a Zodiac murder." At least they're presenting some of the dissension, rather than implying that every one of Yellowbook's theories are true and uncontested.

Brian_d
Username: Brian_d

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:03 am:   

http://www.zodiackiller.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cg i?tpc=17&post=12207#POST12207

I didnít think telling the truth is the objective here, Tom. They wouldn't be using Graysmith if accuracy were important. Garbage in, garbage out. I think (fwiw) they want to do a typical Hollywierd treatment and use the 'based on true events' tag to draw an audience. Sounds like a multi-million dollar blooper reel, as Ed suggested.

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   

It'll be entertaining, no doubt about it, just don't confuse it with reality. I'll be there to watch it, and I'll get it on DVD too... I'm just expecting 3+ hours of Yellow Book being elevated to a status he never had in a fictional story vaguely based on 5 murders...

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   

Visually, the timeline looks blah IMHO. Nothing stands out; just washed-out grayscale stuff. And it's difficult to keep track of what you've already clicked on, especially when there are links within links. It would be helpful to make the initial link a different color after being visited.

I like the concept of such a timeline, as there's a ton of material to present. It's just so bland visually.

Vscantu
Username: Vscantu

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   

Wow, I just saw the section that shows where Zodiac may have pilfered his 'Bus Bomb' and 'Zodiac hood' ideas from! It's from this obscure bomb-making book written in 1965. The photos are so close to Zodiac's handiwork that it's scary. Here's the link;
http://www.zodiacmovie.com/timeline/

It helps if you can Zoom In to the photos.

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   

Hi-

As someone who has studied the case for almost nine years and has always endeavored to get my facts straight, it is amazing to me that they have Faraday's name spelled incorrectly in not one but two different ways on the time line on their web site. It's kind of insulting to the families of the victims and disappointing given the size of this project.

Mike

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

Mike, I couldn't find those spelling errors, but I'm not surprised based on the other website problems listed in this thread.

I always try to spell names correctly, especially if they're deceased. Not like it's hard to find source material...

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   

Hi-

I just took a look and it appears that they fixed them today.

Mike

Davidmm

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

I'm impressed that they fixed them. Seems to indicate that they're reading these posts and actually care about what they're doing with the site!

Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   

I suggested in the chatroom last week that we should stop posting comments about their problems and let them find them for themselves. We're essentially unpaid proofreaders here (while Fincher and his cronies have pocketed millions for filming a fictional movie very loosely based on a handful of real crimes)... something to think about here, ladies and gentlemen!

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   

No other mistakes listed in this thread have been corrected.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration