Reviews Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Movies » "The Zodiac" -- ShadowMachine Films » Reviews « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian_d
Username: Brian_d

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 8:55 am:   

I didn't get a chance to see this upon release, but I know others did. On the previous board, several professional reviews were posted and it was immediately obvious that the reviewers didn't know what they were talking about in regards this case. I was really hoping for some board members reviews instead, since most here do know a thing or two. Was the plot too turgid that reviewers couldn't get their basic facts straight or did Hollywierd strike again in that regard?
p.s. Is this movie still playing anywhere?

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 9:06 am:   

`That is not said right,' said the Caterpillar.

`Not QUITE right, I'm afraid,' said Alice, timidly; some of the words have got altered.'

`It is wrong from beginning to end,' said the Caterpillar decidedly, and there was silence for some minutes.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:05 am:   

I saw it, Brian, and I thought it was very well done. As Tom pointed out, it didn't look like a $1-2 million production at all; it looked like it had a much higher budget. The story was interesting, and Bulkley did have some original ideas, such as firing a warning shot to get BLJ to stop running, then he turned on his "electric gunsight" and shot her while she was just standing there.

I doubt it's playing anywhere a month and a half later, and it'll be out on DVD in August. I think it's well worth watching.

Detective
Username: Detective

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:34 am:   

Ed I too agree with you the movie was much better
than I thought it would be altho a bit farfetched
in segments like the boy running around town with the composite searching for zodiac but' its basic
premise to show what an impact it had on such a
small town like Vallejo was achieved.Yes the warn
ing shot at the girl does make you wonder.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   

Brian, Just last week I was looking for movie theaters to see what was playing (on the net). The Zodiac was still listed,but I didn't check it out to see where it was showing.Save your money and see the next one coming out I believe in Sept.It was ok. but not worth the drive to Vallejo to see it.

Brian_d

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

Ed and Sandy, thank you for the input. I'm looking forward to both movies, the ShadowMachine film more so since the gouge coming out regarding the Fincher film sounds like a comedy of casting and they, like Grayarea, seem more intent on altering the facts to tell 'more dramatic' story. As if this story weren't dramatic enough!

Brian_d

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:34 am:   

Just saw the film today. Ed, Sandy and Detective all have opinions I agree with, as mutually exclusive that statement may sound!
I think the filmmakers had to make some concessions to the interpretation of the case seeing that itís a movie that runs approx. 96 minutes. They had to contract the timeline to a manageable window. As far as content goes, I was very impressed with the production values, both in remaining true to the facts in the case and recreating the late sixties as I recall them. I never got the impression that this story was Ďcontrivedí in the sense that this story line was a stretch. The frustration the detective and his family demonstrate were probably very similar to what the case detectives and their families felt.
Speaking of frustration, the ending is true to life in that it leaves us hanging on tenterhooks as to what weíve just seen means. Close enough to real life for me.
Now for a few random thoughts. The warning shot fired over Bettylouís head is innovative and may be accurate. Iíve never seen an explanation for the single isolated round found by the gate, unless Al Lausito is correct in that Z was loitering beyond the fence and approached from that direction.
The scene b/wn Darlene and Mike were interesting to me as the actress playing Darlene seemed rather detached and disinterested in Mike and Iíve long felt that the conversation as described by Mike makes her sound distracted if not disinterested.
I donít want to Ďreadí too much into this as it is an interpretation in a film but it seemed strange that this impression should crop up again. I wonder if Darlene was waiting for some third party (not the Zodiac) to arrive?
I very much remember the night of July 4th, 1969 and spent that night and much of my childhood in Hayward. The celebrations as well as the school bus scene after Paul Stineís murder both struck a raw nerve with me and (not that anyone cares) made this movie more true to life than any documentary Iíve yet seen.
All in all, probably the best $19.95 Iíve spent this year. A strong, atmospheric period piece. Yes, there is much to be frustrated about this case and this film reflects much of the ambiguity of this case by not trying to interpret the events with too strong a storytellerís hand.

Detective
Username: Detective

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   

Brian I too can remember that 4th of july also at
our house on Redwood Road in Castro Valley doing
the fireworks & I too spent a considerable amount
of time in Hayward playing sports at Hayward High
& graduating from there in 1970.In fact one of my
habits was getting to school early to read the SF
Chronicle in the library which the school subscri
bed too which was how I learned of the Zodiac.I
can still picture in my mind the small little col
umn it received in the Chronicle but'even that was
big because the Chronicle was notorious for not
covering news outside of the city at that time.It
is a small world indeed.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   

I was at the Lighted Boat Parade in Vallejo on July 4th, 69. I also took grad courses at Hayward in 71. It is indeed a small world. I want to see the movie bad, and will probably get the DVD.

Jim_nelson
Username: Jim_nelson

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   

Brian D:

Please check this out as it is what I said in a review of this movie.

Jim_nelson
Username: Jim_nelson

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   

Forgot the link.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/discus/messages/17/216 .html?1153066703

Brian_d

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   

Jim, good review. I agree with much of it. I guess it's ambiguity worked against it. Too bad.

Ratman
Username: Ratman

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   

Just got the DVD today and watched it-
Very good chronology and showing the turmoil many people and esp. LE families went through.
It could have had a few more scenes with checking suspects (ALA?), but still held my family's interest to the end.
I like the ciphers and the chronology on the special features part also.

Scorpio95628
Username: Scorpio95628

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   

I realize I'm really behind the times here, but I just saw the film for the first time tonight. I was pretty impressed...it was much better than I was expecting. The scenes of the crimes being committed were very well done, in my opinion. This film being fairly good makes me wonder if Fincher's film will be just as good or better. I guess we'll find out early 2007.

Peace

Greg
Username: Greg

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:28 am:   

Good Film ! I wish it had more support and wider release. I watched it on DVD...and it is well acted and portrayed the Zodiac and his crimes pretty well...
Fincher's film looks like it has more money behind it. If it comes off as well as this production..it hopefully will have some success!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration