Zodiac Publicity Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Movies » David Fincher's "Zodiac" » Zodiac Publicity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 7:15 am:   

I didn't know where to put this so I thought this might be a good thread given the lead up to the film...

I was watching TV yesterday and saw and advertisement for Primeval that started by saying something like (rough quote):

"Zodiac killed 6, Gustave killed more than 300 and is still at large"

Primeval, for those who don't know supposedly tells the story of the mythic 20 foot man-eating Nile Crocodile, Gustave. They are kinda promoting the film as a serial killer flick - kinda stupid.

Ubpclaw
Username: Ubpclaw

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:21 am:   

I saw the preview last night and I certainly thought it was a serial killer flick considering they mentioned both Jack The Ripper and Zodiac by name, plus mentioned they had all eluded capture. If its a movie about a crocodile Ill be very disappointed.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:36 am:   

It is, sorry to say. I went to see Pan's Labrynth last weekend (which I HIGHLY recommend) and they played the trailer for Primeval and people actually laughed.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   

I also noticed the Zodiac reference. Smart of them to do that, as the major publicity push for Zodiac should begin soon.

A crocodile??? Hmmm....wonder if it can be placed in Juarez...

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

My wife told me about the preview's Zodiac reference last night. Visit the official site below and click on "Interactive Trail of Blood," then click on the top link on the far west side of the map (SF).

http://primeval.movies.go.com/

Ubpclaw

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   

I guess it doesnt help that the site says:

Inspired by the TRUE STORY of the most prolific serial killer in history

Stupid crocodile, wheres Steve Irwin when you need him.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   

"Inspired by the TRUE STORY..."

Ubpclaw, Fincher's Zodiac says the same thing.

"Zodiac" might turn out to be a crock.

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   

I saw the trailer for Fincher's Zodiac movie couple nights ago on Starz Channel

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   

That disclaimer is their way of saying, "This bears absolutely no resemblance to actual historical events and, as far as truth goes... hahahahahahahahaha! You're a fool if you take this seriously!"

Ubpclaw

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   

Im not so offended by the line "Inspired by the true story" or "Based on actual events", its the crocodile being referred to as a serial killer, thats just ridiculous

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   

>the crocodile being referred to as a serial killer, thats just ridiculous

Absolutely. We all know that crocodile was technically a spree killer! Stupid Hollywood people!

I wonder if there'll be a crocodile in "Zodiac?" Or maybe secret tunnels under Alkatraz. That'd rock!

Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   

Could be that Z was a time traveller from the future who wanted to become a serial killer. This was actually an episode of the short-lived Timecop series (based on the movie by the same name).

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   

A crocodile? "Near water"?!?!

Vscantu
Username: Vscantu

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   

Ed Neil wrote:

"Could be that Z was a time traveller from the future who wanted to become a serial killer. This was actually an episode of the short-lived Timecop series (based on the movie by the same name)."

ED: It's also the fascinating plot of that original Star Trek episode on serial killers called "Wolf In The Fold". It gives a credible theory that serial killers are extraterrestrial spirit-beings which inhabit the bodies of humans like The Zodiac & Jack The Ripper, throughout time. They "feed" off the fear of their murder victims. After getting its fill, the entity moves on to another time & place to occupy the body of the next serial killer.

Pretty spooky

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   

???

I hope you guys are kidding, Ed and Victor!

Vscantu

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   

Nope, no kidding, Tom. Now don't let that SPOOK you while you're in bed tonite. MWAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 12:23 am:   

Six weeks to go and the posters, trailer and website still don't give an exact release date...

Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:13 am:   

Maybe they were hoping that no one would notice the release date was the alleged anniversary of Yellow Book "discovering" Allen, and have to come up with a new one...

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:19 am:   

I thought there were multiple dates given for that alleged discovery?

Nonetheless, I'm sure they're more concerned with revenue than matching dates that only a few people might notice.

Vscantu

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   

Here's a crazy, but intriguing question:

Could the delay of the start-date for "Zodiac" be in any way associated with an attempt to apprehend or bring Zodiac out of the woodwork??

BTK was flushed out when it was publicly announced in an article that after 20 years, a book was finally going to be written about him. He was aroused enough to start sending letters & elaborate communications with a frenzy once he knew there was going to be renewed publicity about him.

Could this be the same thing???

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   

The focal suspect in the film is Arthur Leigh Allen, and he's dead. It would take one heck of a marketing strategy to bring him back to life. Considering they couldn't get a plug on Saturday Night Live, I don't see Allen haunting us again any time soon.

Vscantu

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   

But what if, as everyone knows, Arthur Leigh Allen didn't do it & the real Zodiac is still out there patiently waiting??

Watching... Observing your every move. Making your life a LIVING HELL! MWAHAHAHA!!!

Just kidding. Had you going there for a minute, though, huh?

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:15 am:   

I have a feeling that something big is about to happen. And Tom will get a large part of the credit !

Sanfranguns

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   

I didn't get to see SNL Tom, but they did plug Zodiac at the Golden Globes. When Jake Gyllenthal came out to present they introduced him in the following way: From Zodiac, Jake Gyllenhall

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   

Sanfranguns, I find it quite interesting that the only recent significant mention of Zodiac came from stuff that was prepared months ago, such as the Globes and recent GQ article.

I smell another delay.

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   

On Sat. night in a theater in L.A. I saw a huge stand alone sandwich board for the movie. All it said at the bottom was "Coming Soon."

Hmm.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   

The official website for Phoenix Pictures just says TBA (to be announced). Meanwhile, Paramount's site, along with the official movie site, say "2007".

Delay.

Scott_n

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   

Tom, they are obviously having trouble. Whether it's for reshoots, or reediting (Fincher is known to be a taskmaster who can take months to finish things) or for a publicity campaign that wants a stronger tie-in to Allen as the perpetrator is hard to say.

The most interesting possibility is the latter. I wonder if they think they can develop some evidence against Allen by waiting. But Graysmith's reissue was obviously timed to correspond to the release of the movie and, if they had something, why isn't it in his book?

I also think it's likely they've done some test audiences, probably in smaller metropolitan areas, that didn't bode well for a wide release.

Sandy

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   

Scott n, I also saw one of those extra large sandwich board adds for the Z movie. I asked if I could buy it when they were done with it. I was told that they have to send them back to the companys now, because of people selling them on Ebay.I will ask a friend who owns some theaters if I can get one.I missed Tom's B.D. this yr. that should make up for it.

Dave
Username: Dave

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:43 am:   

Fincher is well into production on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons". Reshoots and tinkering with the film seem highly unlikely. My guess is that the film is a picture lock.

I could be wrong, but there are fairly strict delivery dates imposed by the studios for films.

There are plenty of flicks I haven't seen heavy promo for including major studio releases.

This isn't a major summer blockbuster.

Also, the idea that they studios are stalling to tie in some recently discovered evidence seems unlikely.

D

Sanfranguns

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:17 am:   

I think there will probably be another delay also. Not that its the worst thing in the world if it comes out in the summer - that's a great time for movies - could be a big blockbuster

Scott_n

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   

Dave I think the repeated delay of this film indicates trouble. Of course, I could be wrong since no one really knows.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   

Maybe it'll turn out to be another Brenda Starr (with Brooke Shields and Timothy Dalton) that was shelved for some 3 years and I think was released directly to video (or was in limited release, I don't remember seeing that turkey in the theaters)...

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   

The test screenings didn't go terribly. They did reshoots and lots of re-editing, but it was not, by any reports, a frantic attempt to prop up a disaster. I wonder if there's some legal issues? Biographies of living people are sometimes touchy subjects. Have they run into slander and liable issues? Any chance that ALA's family is protesting?

Dave

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   

A repeated delay is more often than not a studio trying to figure out when to release any type of film. Probably just trying to find it's slot and what to open it against. Only time will tell.

D

Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   

I didn't have time to read all of the post to see if anyone else saw the Z movie advertised tonight on A&E. It is showing March 2nd in the theaters !

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:51 am:   

Based on the e-mail I've been receiving of late, a shortened trailer for "Zodiac" appeared on both NBC and Comedy Central last night.

THANK YOU DAVID FINCHER !!!

I was predicting another delay, but if those e-mail are correct, I was (happily) incorrect.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:48 am:   

I guess that means that nobody was able come up with a hilarious Zodiac sketch for SNL, huh?

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:34 am:   

Saw the trailer on some cable channel last night, the one with extreme fighting/wrestling (Impact?). Definitely said March 2.

Vscantu

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:53 am:   

From the above TV stations that showed the trailer, it looks like the big 'push' is on!

I went to the movies last weekend & the manager looked & also said March 2 was the release date. Maybe it's true!

(Boy is "Kenny Kilgore" gonna be pissed that his stepdad isn't revealed as the true Zodiac. He'll probably stage a one-man picket at his local theater. LOL)

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:16 am:   

Hey - I've got an idea - Why don't they set a big box with a mail slot up in the theatre and solicit questionaires on who the patrons think is the Zodiac. Then, a guy in the box can compare the handwriting to Z's and then they can grab him on the way out!

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:26 am:   

If he orders the buttered popcorn, you might even be able to get some prints.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   

Warren, if you're manning the box on opening night please check prints on anyone asking for Acid Kool-Aid with his popcorn. Thanks.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   

Ed - I think given the notoriety of the director and the actors and the reported budget of the film that its very very unlikely that Zodiac will be shelved. I'd expect a huge push from this film once a final release date is settled.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   

Sanfranguns, I think you're right. They'll at least try to recoup some of their expenses.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   

When I saw the long version trailer on A&E three weeks ago it didn't have a release date just 'coming soon.' It's interesting that a March 2nd release date is now showing up on TV when as of today the official Paramount website is still sticking with
'coming soon.'

Sanfranguns

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   

This isn't going to be a recoup some of their expense kind of film Douglas....all indicators are that this film will do very well. Whether it will be a record grossing film, is anyone's guess, but A List Director, A List ensemble cast, and a big studio behind it.....success.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   

I hope it's successful, if for no other reason than introducing a younger generation to the Zodiac.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   

There has been a lot of turmoil at Paramount which likely contributed to this film's release date being pushed back and the finally settled on March 2 release date.
Viacom owns Paramount and Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone recently severed the studio relationship with Tom Cruise and fired Viacom CE Tom Freston. Freston was the guy who had brought in Brad Grey to be chairman of Paramount. Grey shifted the studio strategy from emphasis on Paramount Pictures to the expansion of Paramount Vantage, the acquisition of Dreamworks and movies produced bu MTV and Nickelodeon. Grey will continue as Paramount's chairman but this restructuring among other factors led to the recent resignation of Paramount Pictures president Gail Berman. Paramount will now be without a president and Brad Weston the co-president of production will expand his duties and Alli Shearmur the other co-president of production is out.
Things look like the dust is finally settling but I'm sure several major film releases like Zodiac ended up being affected until all the restructuring was completed.

Dave

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   

Johno,

Thank you for posting the most sound, logical reason for the films delay.

D

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration