Here's the Beef? (Allen's driving his... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Movies » David Fincher's "Zodiac" » Here's the Beef? (Allen's driving history) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   

In a recently-updated version of a Zodiac book, mention is made of a traffic citation issued to the movie's main suspect, Arthur Leigh Allen. It's presented in a rather vague, mysterious way, as if it's quite important.

The info is presented in such a way to make it seem as if the ticket might even play an important role in the upcoming movie, as credit for discovering the ticket was given to a movie producer.

See below for a history of traffic citations issued to Arthur Leigh Allen:

(Thanks to Mike Rodelli)
ticket

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   

The only date that stands out to me (although I admit the coffee hasn't kicked in yet) is March 13, 1971 -- the day Zodiac's L.A. Times letter was postmarked in Pleasanton, Cal.

Considering Allen's father, Ethan, was hospitalized not far from Pleasanton (and died four days after the letter was postmarked), I see nothing suspicious about Allen's ticket, even if it had been issued in Pleasanton.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   

Is the time of the ticket listed? If it was early, then he presumably would have reconsidered mailing the letter from that location. If he got a ticket late in the day, then he might have already sent the letter.

Another excellent find, Tom. Not a smoking gun, but ubercool nonetheless.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   

Great work!

The two tickets from Napa and one from San Francisco are rather interesting but the smoking gun ticket is well... blown away...

I wonder if Graysmith stole the idea from the Son of Sam case where Berkowitz was nabbed on the basis of a parking ticket?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   

Mike Rodelli sent it to me. Apparently he beat the movie producer to it, I don't know. Perhaps that book will get updated so the right person gets credit. I'll hold my breath.

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   

Hi-

The only think I can think of is that they may form some "conspiracy theory," whereby Allen goes to SF to get the letter from an accomplice and then mails it in Pleasanton.

Note the really important information: Allen did not receive a speeding ticket (nor any other ticket, for that matter) at Lake Berryessa (or anywhere else) on September 27, 1969. That is just a stinky pile of you-know-what...

Mike

Mike_r

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   

Hi-

I received that info in the summer of 2001 as part of a larger package of info. Phoenix Pictures was not even a dot on the horizon back then... ;)

Mike

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   

All of the Zodiac letters up to that point had been postmarked in San Francisco. So, one could theorize Allen intended to mail it in SF as usual, but got spooked because of the ticket, and decided on another location so he wouldn't be placing himself in the same place at the same time as the Zodiac. Remember, Allen had been interviewed as a possible suspect more than a year earlier.

But smokin' gun? Ummm...no.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   

Nearly getting caught red-handed might also explain why the letters ceased for three years.
Obviously this is all pure speculation.

The fact is, March 13, 1971 probably saw at least 100,000 people in San Francisco who didn't live there.

Mike_r

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   

Hi Tom-

The only problem with the logic is that if Allen got "spooked" from mailing the letter in SF because he did not want there to be a "smoking gun" that could later place him in SF on the day a Z letter was mailed, why would he then mail it in a city with which he can ALSO be logically associated (due to his father's hospitalization in Pleasanton) on the same day?

Mike

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   

Allen's father wasn't hospitalized in Pleasanton; he was in Oakland, which is about 20 miles away or so.

(I'm sure Ed can give us exact measurements lol)

Mike_r

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   

Hi-

My bad...I have to get my Zodiac geography down. ;)

Mike

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   

By the way, that book update did specify a parking ticket rather than a traffic ticket. However, has anyone really come to expect that kind of attention to detail from you-know-who? Not me. It was probably a traffic ticket.

However, for Allen to have been issued a parking ticket on a relevant Zodiac date, it would have needed to be documented within a few years of his being cited, as back then such records weren't saved more than a few years.

Allen was most focused upon in 1971 and 1972, yet there was no mention of an incriminating parking ticket in the search affadavit prepared by SFPD in 1972.

I smell BS.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   

In fact, living in the Bay Area, there never would have been a time when Allen was more than 20 to 25 miles away from the scene of a Zodiac event.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   

Doug, enough of your logic. You'd never make it in Hollywood.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   

It's interesting to note that not only did Allen receive no tickets on any Z crime date, he received no tickets at all between June 1967 and July 1970, which means that during the 9 months that Z was killing, Allen got no tickets. Oops. Can't let facts interfere with complete BS...

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   

You're right, Tom: I'd never make it past the casting couch!

Ubpclaw
Username: Ubpclaw

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:15 am:   

I wonder if he got a ticket on a street with a water reference in it? If he did that would all but virtually seal the case in RG's eyes.

Nancydrew
Username: Nancydrew

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 3:11 am:   

so allen can be placed in a city on a date that zodiac wasn't apparently there. oh gee be still my heart.

wouldn't that be like placing lawrence kane at lake berryessa on dec. 1, 2002???

tom, someone needs to teach a class called zodiac for dummies. or logic for dummies, either title works.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:50 am:   

I don't want to get off topic, but I can't find a link to that picture of Darlene in front of Terrys (?) with the cook. Wanted to look at the license plate of that car again just to compare to ALA's above.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration