Remembering Michael Maloney Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » Remembering Michael Maloney « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   

Retired SFPD homicide detective Michael Maloney died over the weekend, apparently from a heart attack. He was a great guy and huge friend of this website. Here's a link to a special report he prepared for Zodiackiller.com just over a year ago.

In the three years prior to his 2004 retirement, Maloney gave the Zodiac case renewed attention (along with his partner, Inspector Kelly Carroll).

I last received an e-mail from Maloney about a week ago; he was very much looking forward to attending the March 3 task-force meeting.

Meehall

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   

Hi-

Casting any differences of opinion that I and the SFPD detectives may have had aside, this is a terrible loss for the case. Here was a man who was willing to voice his concerns on this site over the way in which his former department is handling the DNA evidence. Now that lone voice of public dissent has been silenced. I think that in the days ahead, Mike Maloney could have done a lot of good for the future of the Zodiac investigation by speaking out in the media or on this site about the way things truly are inside SFPD and why the investigation was really closed down in 2004, when it should have been just heating up.

I am very sorry to hear this terrible news.

Mike

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   

I am privileged to have met Mike Maloney in 2004 with Tom. We had a few beers and just had a great time.

RIP, Mike. He'll be greatly missed.

Weeza
Username: Weeza

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   

May he rest well

Dahlia
Username: Dahlia

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   

I'm so sorry to hear this. Not only for Z-related reasons...but, quite simply, he looked like he was SO enjoying his retirement. What a damn crappy thing. RIP Mike--or rather, RIM--rest in music! Rock on!

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   

Awful timing with the movie coming out. I never met Maloney but he obviously had courage and was willing to voice his convictions and gore some oxes--at risk to his career.

For that reason alone, I think he has to be respected.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:15 am:   

God bless this man who put all of his care into this case and may he rest in piece

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:07 am:   

I met Mike a few years back, he was good enough to come down to meet with me. We spent the afternoon discussing the case and struck up an immediate friendship.At that time I was planning to visit for one of the task force meetings and he offered to put me up in his own home, that's the type of person he was.We stayed in touch over the years and he always planned to return to Ireland, he loved it here and it was always understood that I would bring him salmon fishing next time.I'm real real sorry I didn't get to keep that promise.
He had a passion for this case and put great effort into it, even spending alot of his own time following up leads.He was never the type to dismiss people and always listened.I know that from the stories he recounted.
An honourable man and a friend.

Mike, you are missed, my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Sean

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:58 am:   

Let's hope his questions about the case have now been answered by the Ultimate Authority.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:34 am:   

Sorry to hear the terrible news!

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   

I truly feel that with this shocking incident, the Zodiac investigation has suffered a crushing blow - Detective Maloney was one of the most tenacious individuals to ever look into this case, and his efforts to solve it were highly commendable, to say the least. Please extend my deepest condolences to the Detective's loved ones.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   

I was one of the lucky people who met this courageous person, he will be sorely missed. I am thinking that perhaps we can get the word out for Mike about Hennessey, and how much better off SFPD would be with out this stick in the mudd. Right now the mayor needs to draw attention away from his sticking it to his best friends wife. Getting Mikes letter to him might work. The timing is right.

Rachel
Username: Rachel

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   

My sincere condolences to Mr. Maloney's friends & family.

Rachel

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   

Warren-you said it all.A great detective has fallen.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:13 am:   

It was like getting a gut-punch to read the terrible news.

It's sad when anyone's life is cut down unexpectedly, but doubly so when that person had the passion and potential to accomplish so much more in his own life as well for others.

Mr Maloney's left a legacy, and Im glad that we can celebrate him through that.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:03 am:   

May he Rest In Peace. We gotta do something in his honor at the Task Force Meeting - a moment of silence? a toast at the Chinese restaurant?

John_mikulenka
Username: John_mikulenka

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   

I can’t speak for Mike Maloney—no one ever could—but I’m sure he’d be deeply moved by the tributes that have been posted during the past few days by members of this board.

I first met Mike about 6 years ago, when I started working on my documentary film “Hunting The Zodiac.” Even though I’d already decided to focus on amateur detectives, it seemed like a good idea to contact the two SFPD homicide inspectors who were in charge of the official investigation.

Mike was a giant of a guy—about six-and-a-half feet tall. My first impression was that he didn’t just enter a room, he sublet it. After meeting with him and his partner, Kelly Carroll, I stood up to leave. Mike tossed a magazine on the table and said, “When you have a free minute, take a look at this.” It was an in-house magazine published by the SFPD, and it carried an article about Mike and his passion for photography. It was an interesting gesture on his part—to reach out to me on a level that wasn’t related to police work. He may have had the bearing of a professional, but he also had the soul of an amateur.

It wasn’t until several months later that we actually got together for a few beers, and from that point forward, our friendship galloped at high speed. We all know how hard it is to make new friends later in life; people are set in their routines, or busy with family and work obligations. But Mike was as available as a college freshman on the first day of the fall semester. I can’t remember the last time I made a new friend so quickly and completely.

He had a wide range of interests—photography, music, astronomy, Buddhism, quantum theory, orchids, Gaelic language. Nothing was too remote or too dense for him to try to master. He wasn’t very good with the personal details of a friend’s life—I found myself on more than one occasion answering his questions about where I grew up, my family, career path, etc. The guy loved to talk, but small talk wasn’t his specialty.

Mike served as a Marine in Vietnam, and his career at SFPD lasted more than three decades. Despite the steadiness of his resume, he had a strong inclination to buck convention. Back in the 1970s, he was one of the first police officers to welcome women into the ranks, and he went so far as to request a female partner. The chauvinists at SFPD ridiculed him for it, but Mike didn’t care. When he retired in 2004, he let his hair grow long, pierced an ear, took up bass guitar, then drums. He once said to me during an interview for the film: “I certainly don’t want [the Zodiac case] to follow me out of my career.” But even in the comfort of retirement, he publicly criticized his former bosses for not doing more DNA testing on Zodiac case evidence. (Keep an eye open for an upcoming article in “San Francisco” magazine that quotes him extensively on this subject.) Like a lot of members of the Zodiac amateur community, Mike considered it his mission to tilt at the windmills of authority.

Knowing Mike Maloney changed my life. His help was vital to my film project, even though at least a half-dozen interviews had to be aborted because he insisted we start with a shot of Laphroaig or Lagavulin. He was a blast to party with—an instigator who was always generous when the check finally arrived. He could also be remarkably insecure for a guy with such obvious gifts of intelligence and empathy. He once chided me for being friends with him only because I needed an interview—but nothing could’ve been further from the truth. I felt lucky he tossed that magazine at me during our first meeting, and I’ll miss him more than he ever could’ve imagined.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration