NANCY SLOVER FOUND Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » NANCY SLOVER FOUND « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   

After years of searching, I've finally found and interviewed Nancy Slover, the former Vallejo Police Dept. switchboard operator who spoke with the Zodiac early in the morning of July 5, 1969.

Here's a link to the update, including an audio message from Nancy to all the visitors of Zodiackiller.com.

If anyone has comments or questions they'd like me to ask Nancy, please submit them here. Media inquiries should be sent to nancy@zodiackiller.com.

Much more info is on the way...

Fix It (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   

Thank you for taking the time to find ms. slover.

Brian_d
Username: Brian_d

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   

Excellent coup, Tom. It's invaluable to speak directly with the principals involved. She sounds like she's in her mid thirties!
I see you posted that Z 'Goodbye' taunt was over the top. How so? Was it said in a dramatic or humorous inflection?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   

Brian, thanks. Nancy is going to make another audio file where she demonstrates exactly how he said it. She did it for me a few times and it was really weird. (I'll post the file as soon as I get it.)

Brian_d

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   

Good to hear, Tom! I'm more anxious to hear this than I am for the release of Season Two of the Rockford Files tomorrow.
I wonder if missing taping this call facilitated VPD investing in recording technology for their operators? That would have provided a great yardstick in suspect screening for this creep and who knows where or even if we'd be here today!

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   

Please ask Nancy how old the caller seemed to be.

Scott_b
Username: Scott_b

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   

Excellent work, Tom! So far, this year has been wonderful in terms of the number of Zodiac case related principals who've been contacted and are sharing their experiences. Could you post what she said in the audio message in this thread? My computer speakers took a digger on me this past weekend.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   

Anonymous, Nancy said she thought the Zodiac sounded about 35. By the way, I played her a recording of suspect Rick Marshall's voice. She listened twice, but found he spoke in a more animated and distinctive way than Zodiac did. Arthur Leigh Allen's up next and I'll post her comments about him soon.

Scott, in the audio message she stated who she was and how there is some misinformation about the call that she wants to correct.

Timothy (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   

Tom, I am very glad to hear this. It will be neat to hear the further thoughts from Nancy, other then what are in reports.

Thanks TOM!!!

PS. Let me know about the website thing......I can't wait to see what ideas you may have.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   

Tom,
A beautiful coup and congratulations!!!You have great perserverance and keen insight as to what needs to be accomplished and how to do it!

You made Zodiac case history,well,I know it isn't the first time.LOL

Did Slover reaffirm the 'monotone' voice concept?

I think all we suspect promoters should provide you with a suspect voice recording if you will have her listen to it.I up for it!

Can't hear her message on your board.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   

Thanks Howard. Yes, Nancy was adamant about Zodiac speaking in a monotone.

Also, she stated that Zodiac used the word "millimeter" and not the shortened "MM" as in the report. (I had to ask her about that; it's bugged me for years.)

She worked at the Vallejo Police Dept. for five years and was positive Zodiac wasn't a Vallejo police officer, as she would have recognized his voice.

George
Username: George

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   

Another amazing item, Tom. And thirty-seven years after the fact. Good going!

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   

I was wondering what street did Nancy Slover live on at that time? What Victim of Zodiac lived on the same street as she?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   

Mike Mageau.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   

What everyone said, Tom. Does Nancy believe that she would still recognize Z's voice today? I know that's speculative but I just wonder if this brief conversation still seems "fresh" in her mind. Great work!

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   

No, she didn't necessarily believe she could identify the exact voice. However, the was still absolutely fresh regarding the type of voice it was and the way he spoke.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   

She is said to have believed that he sounded scripted like he may have been reading his short report and he keep going and just spoke louder when she tried to interup him, is that true?
Also to give us some idea of what he sounded like is their any personality from televison, movies, radio, sports, politics etc, that she could compare his voice to in a way. Not exactly I understand but kind of sounds like to give us some kind of idea.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:13 am:   

Johno, your first question is 100% accurate according to what Nancy told me.

Question # 2: I asked her that exact question, as well as if she ever heard someone from a restaurant, grocery store, etc whom she felt sounded like the Zodiac. She said no.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:45 am:   

It's good to get another "mystery" cleared up: that of the alleged voiceprint of Z. It never existed, and now we finally have proof from the person who actually took the call and spoke to Z. It's also zynchronicity of the highest order that she happened to live a few houses away from Mike Mageau...

Fantastic work, Tom!!!

john prisk (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:53 am:   

this is quite fascinating - I have like a million questions but oddly cant think of a single one right now....
wow...

Jaberwocky (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:59 am:   

Hartnell spoke with Z for about 15-20 minutes up close and he said he had a distinctive voice.Hopefully Z's voice has'nt changed that much since he's aged.Another witness who has heard Z's voice,what a find!Kudos to you Tom for never giving up and keeping this site alive.Persistance really pays off.I can't wait to hear from Mrs.Solver again.

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:25 am:   

Great Stuff Tom, congrats!

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:40 am:   

WOW! This is sweet news. Thanks Tom and Nancy. Maybe she can also give us some insight as far as what the atmosphere was like at the cop shop during the zodiac years.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:22 am:   

Regarding Arthur Leigh Allen's voice, Nancy wrote:

"Not the guy I talked to, or should I say, in my opinion, not him. It's been a long time but surprising, I still remember what he did not sound like. It would be exciting to listen to the same voice again."

Carl (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:00 am:   

Tom this is very exciting , I would like to hear more on this development .

Chari
Username: Chari

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:18 am:   

This will be great to hear!

UBPClaw (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   

Tom, do you have voice recordings of "Andy Walker" or of "Donald Andrews" that Nancy could listen to?

muskogee (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   

A HUGE thanks to Tom and Ms. Slover for sharing this information!

Tom, three questions:
1.) For the suspects you've had Ms. Slover listen to, how old were they when their voices were recorded (were these recordings made within a few years of the murders, or were they more recent?).

2.) Since Ms. Slover felt Zodiac was speaking purposefully in monotone (and his statement sounded scripted), did she notice any hint of an underlying accent, manner of speaking, or other vocal quality (ie. nasal voice) which he may have been trying to cover? I know this is a long-shot, since he was only on the phone briefly, but I have to ask!

3.) Did Ms. Slover feel the taunting, "Goodbye," was in Zodiac's "normal" voice, or did she feel the taunting quality was also part of the "script?"

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   

Hi Tom-

So much for Mr. Baldino. We can finally put that story about the recording to rest once and for all.

I echo what Muskogee said. Please ask Nancy if she can attribute Z's voice to a known type of accent.

Mike

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   

Great find Tom. Nancy could provide us with other details about that night to clarify things.

What was the weather? Who all was coming and going in the office that night? Had Nancy ever heard of Dee before that night?

Johno

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   

Slover took all three calls reporting the crime right?
The first call at 12:10 by 19 year old Debbie from 17 year old Jerry's house after she, Jerry and 17 year old Roger drove there to report finding the shooting victims.
The second call from Debbie's brother-in-law Rob who was a policeman after they drove to his house to have him call so the police wouldn't think their previous call was a hoax.
The third call at 12:40 from Zodiac.
The police had already responded to the first call and found the victims by the time Rob made the call. The three teens then went to the police station in person after Rob made the 2nd call. Were they there when the call from Zodiac came in?

nord (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   

Wow Tom ,this is major ! Could be the biggest Zodiac news since A.L. Allen passed away ,any thoughts about filming interview for DVD ? I'll buy 1st one !
Congrats !
Dan

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   

Hawk: Nancy had some great stories about the Vallejo PD back then. I'm sure she'll share them soon.

UBPClaw: Unfortunately I don't have audio clips of any of the major suspects besides Marshall and Allen.

Muskogee:
1) The recordings of the suspects were made more than 20 years after the Zodiac's call
2) None accent whatsoever
3) He deepened his voice for the "Goodbye." I'll have her elaborate in her next audio file

Mike: Baldino has apologized. Now we can all move on.

More answers to come...

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   

Tom,
A while back you speculated about a possible Z call to police after the LHR murders. Any chance Nancy can shed some light on this possibility?

John_prisk
Username: John_prisk

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 1:54 am:   

Vallejo Dave said - -
"What was the weather? Who all was coming and going in the office that night? Had Nancy ever heard of Dee before that night?"

I'm curious V. Dave why any of these things matter? How do they impact the call itself or its inherent implications and importance?

I am mostly interested in his overall tone as he continued to speak over her as she questioned him mid speach - did he just talk louder or did he sound like he was irritated at the "interruprion"? Did it cause him to stammer even in the slightest or did he continue smoothly (just louder, or what have you...)?

Bryan The Giant (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:06 am:   

Wow what a find, geez your away from the computer for a few weeks and pow a new developement, makes you never want to leave.
Bryan

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:41 am:   

The weather may give us some clue about Mageau and his multiple layers of clothing.

Read Johno's post above about the teens.

There have been many posts on the boards about Dee possibly dating police officers. I'm curious if Nancy would know anything about this.

Re Z's speech, he probably wanted to state his message in a short a time as possible, so as not to be traced. Do you, John, think that anyone is going to be convicted on how they inflected their speech 37 years ago over the phone?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:29 am:   

Nancy has graciously provided a recording of her best impression of the Zodiac's phone call, complete with taunting "Goodbye" at the end.

-- Here's a link -- (138KB/MP3)

Kat (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

Great work Tom!!! And thanks to Nancy too!

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   

Wow-that goodbye is incredibly creepy. Thanks to Nancy for providing her rendition, and Tom for posting it.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   

The good bye at the end of the call sounds like a fog horn or ship horn. Agree yes or no ?
Very interesting.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   

As the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski left a taunting call for the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office--only he misdialed the number by one digit (440-1111 instead of 440-5111) and got the Association of California Insurance Companies instead. The message was picked up by an answering machine, and a "gravelly" voice said "Hi. I'm the Unabomber, and I just called to say Hi." This was the day before the explosion that killed Gilbert Murray in Sacramento. Based on the Slover recording, I'd love to know just what that Unabomber recording sounded like. I think I'll try getting up with the Association of Insurance Companies and see if someone can help.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   

Agreed, Anonymous. The interval between the "good" and the "bye" is also reminiscent of a certain chant that our Philadelphia Flyers fans use when reproaching a bad officiating call. It's two syllables of a word that starts with an A and ends with an E and has an SSHOL in the middle.

Rocky (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   

Nancy I mean no disrespect to you in any way, but I hope Zodiac is still alive so he can come on here and hear just what an idiot he sounded like.
The good bye is wierd, but I started laughing after listening to it a couple of times. I'm afraid in this day and age people aside from myself would find a live conversation like that comical. That or I have a twisted sense of humor!

amozartii (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   

The last words could mean anything, but I think he was just playing with her. Anyway the fog horn connection is kinda interesting, KGO radio always used a fog horn sound back in those days as the call single. Hmmm ?

John_prisk
Username: John_prisk

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   

Vallejo Dave said - -
"Do you, John, think that anyone is going to be convicted on how they inflected their speech 37 years ago over the phone?"

Not hardly, but I'm not concerned with it in that way. My interest in the particular question I posted above is strictly in the idea of a scripted V non-scripted call...
The implications of which (either way) are rather intriguing.

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 5:51 am:   

He doesn't sound at all intimidating. Maybe he was trying to be humorous or he really is retarded in some way.

Brian_d

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 7:10 am:   

Thank you Tom and Nancy for the object lesson in never assuming anything until the facts are in.
I know I always assumed he said 'good bye with the inflection being on 'bye'. I dare say many, if not most of us did.
Now we know.

armchairpi (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 9:40 am:   

Does anyone else thing that the phone call, excepting the goodbye, sounds uncannily like the initial part of the BTK phone call, excepting the confusion over... what was it, the street name?

armchairpi (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 9:58 am:   

... that is to say, incredibly rote, business like, unemotional, etc. (whether scripted or not). It ain't your average Joe Murderer who can perform those kinds of mayhem and then call the cops with such a casual, Joe Friday, report.

Break Out (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

Armchairpi, you are right about the similarities of the monotone, rote style of both the BTK call and what we know of the Z call. I think these people (DR, Z) are not necessarily without accent in their daily speaking but they purposely speak this way in their calls. Paula and his family must have heard recordings of DR's call at some time (in a news report) and didn't recognize the voice. The "Good Bye" at the end of the Z call, to me, shows both the sarcasm of the perp and the ____ (not quite satisfaction but I can't think of the right word) at being done with this lowly but in his mind necessary task of reporting his grand deeds to the poor ol' dumb blue pigs.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   

Here's the latest audio file from Nancy as she answers some of the questions you've asked in this thread. Keep 'em coming!

-- Here's a link -- (173KB/MP3)

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   

Im blanking on all the details and Im sure Ill get ripped apart for it, but did Nancy happen to see the talk show that Zodiac had supposedly called in to seek help from the attorney but kept shreaking and hanging up. Then eventually set up the "secret" meeting on top of whatever building it was lol. If you can figure out what Im talking about after that dribble the question is did she think the callers voice on the talk show compared to the voice from the 911 call?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   

Nancy was only asked once to listen to the voice of a suspect -- it was the person who kept calling "The Jim Dunbar Show" in late 1969 claiming to be the Zodiac and asking for Mel Belli. Listening to the suspect's voice with her were surviving victim Bryan Hartnell and the Napa County Sheriff's Dept. switchboard operator who spoke to Zodiac after the Lake Berryessa attack.

Nobody felt the suspect's voice matched the Zodiac. Eventually the caller was identified as Eric Weir, a Napa State Hospital patient.

Don Winton (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   

WOW Tom, and Nancy,thanks so much for both your efforts!! You've colorized a black and white picture;Or brought a blurry photo into sharp focus.Well done,great stuff!

Johno

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:04 am:   

The goodbye really does sound like a foghorn as has been noted by others above. Two long blasts of a foghorn.

Colette
Username: Colette

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:58 am:   

That "goodbye" sent chills down my spine...creepy.

Jbheath
Username: Jbheath

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:14 am:   

Tom:
Have you had a chance to play a voice clip of Bruce Davis for Mrs. Slover?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:15 am:   

I don't have a recording of Bruce's voice...

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   

Tom,

Excellent stuff! Please pass on my thanks to Nancy for taking the time to share her unique, personal perspective. I've read the transcription of that phone call many times and I'm struck by how different her imitation of the call is compared to what I had previously assumed it to sound like. Just goes to show the occasional inadequacy of the written word...

In Nancy's version of the call she appears to put extra emphasis on the word "killed". Could you please ask Nancy: (1) to verify that this is, indeed, the way Z said it and (2) does she have any further comment on it?

Thanks!

Jbheath

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   

Tom:
I have his voice when he surrendered in 1970 I could send it to you and you could send it back. Or maybe Howard has something? Email me and let me know.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   

Jbheath, here is Bruce Davis's voice. I pulled this from the show Charles Manson - The Man Who Killed The 60's

Bruce Davis talks about killing

Click on the link about the desensitizing process.

Ryan

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   

Wow, Id love to hear what Nancy says about how his voice compares. Sounds like he has that same very slight drawl to his voice that people who have heard Z described

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   

Thanks Anon. WOW, this is great stuff. I can't wait to hear Jb's voice clip.

Nancy's version of "Gooood Bye" sounds like a fog horn to me also. The audio adds so much more to interpretation.

Mike_r
Username: Mike_r

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   

Hi-

For what it is worth--and it is probably not worth much at that--on p.27 of "Zodiac," RG states that type of flashlight that Z carried was SUPPOSEDLY recognized by Mageau as a "floating lantern", such as he had SUPPOSEDLY "seen on boats."

The only reason I mention it is that there is a sense of the "good-bye" sounding like a "fog horn," which obviously ties into this admittedly tenuous motif.

Mike

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   

UBPClaw, nobody that I've heard of said Zodiac's voice was a drawl. Monotone was the common description, with Bryan Hartnell saying it sounded like the voice of a student (whatever that means).

Johno

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   

Sgt. Robinson who interviewed Hartnell on the 9/28/69 wrote it in his report of 9/29/69 that "Suspect spoke with some type of drawl, but victim stated it was not a southern drawl, did not really know what type of drawl."

Hartnell himself refered to as a drawl in that interview when he says, "You know there's some drawls that a lot of people have similar."

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   

Thanx Johno, Im having trouble finding the reference on the site but I know for certain I have heard a description that said he had a monotone voice but they did detect a very slight drawl to his voice.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   

I recall Hartnell struggling for the proper voice description before settling on "student" and that's what he has stuck with since. In any event, we can definitely rule out any type of accent, which is certainly what a southern drawl is.

Johno

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   

But he never said a southern drawl and Sgt Robinson made that clear in his report when he stated, "..not a southern drawl."

Hartnell said, "...there's some drawls that a lot of people have similar."

Later in the interview Robinson pressed on about the voice and asked, "You mentioned drawl. Well not drawl, an accent."

But Hartnell never said accent. He said drawl.
Robinson is in effect leading the witness and trying to get him to say he had an accent by skirting the drawl issue but Hartnell won't tell him he had an accent and says, "It was just something...I guess his way of talking. It was something I couldn't repeat."

Robinson finally drops the accent querry and asks, "Did he have a throaty voice or high pitched?"
Hartnell says, "In between. But it was just a unique way of talking."

Hartnell is not saying that Zodaic had a regional accent of any kind. what he's talking about likely his enunciation of words. He spoke for example with elongated vowels or sustained or clipped consonants. He pronounced his words strangely and drew them out or cut them short. He didn't have an accent he had a unique way of speaking. Kind of theatrical so to speak.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   

No, he never said a southern drawl or regional accent. I know that, but the last thing I want is for people to read this thread and get such an impression.

Nancy heard no accent or drawl or whatever you want to call it. It was a consistent monotone that grew louder when she tried to interrupt and deepened at the end for the "goodbye".

Johno

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   

I have another question for Nancy.
When Zodiac called Nancy did he pause before he spoke or did he immediatly give her his report?

Female dispatchers are the norm now but in a small town like Vallejo in the late 60's and being so late at night I wondered if he may have been expecting a male dispatcher to have answered and he was taken off guard for a moment when a female voice answered.
He may have not originally intended for his goodbye to be anything other than the words goodbye but when he learned it was a female he was talking to he may have adlibbed the goodbye on the spot just to freak her out.

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:30 am:   

I wonder if Nancy took the calls from people reporting a suspect? I would like to hear some of those accounts.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   

Tom could you please ask her if he enunciated each word, or as K. Johns said spoke precisely ? My suspect talks slowly never fast ,and enunciates each word carefully. I can send you a copy of his voice if you like.I have never heard a voice like this guys.That is one reason why I believe K.Johns was in the Z's car.Not only does he talk rather slow, but he changes his voice to a very deep flat sounding voice.

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   

Sandy, I think with your unique experience you certainly have reason to give Nancy a recording of your suspects voice. Id be very interested in hearing what she thinks of it and how it compares.

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:42 am:   

Rocky, I agree with you. At the time Zodiac probably sounded threatening, but in this day and age he kind of sounds like a dork. It is somewhat odd that he didn't read the whole message in his monotone voice but rather completely changed on the last word. Interesting observation above from Johno that maybe he ad libbed the goodbye when he realized the dispatcher was female.

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   

UG, in the day and age that this phone call came into place, you would've thought that Z was afraid of being traced and wouldn't have held that
Good Bye so long. Right? Didn't LE trace phone calls back then?

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   

Yes, they were able to identify the phone booth he made the call from and attepted to get prints.

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   

Thanks UB, Duh! Ok, then don't you think the Good Bye was a taunt to the police instead of directed at Nancy? That's what I'm leaning towards. He held the Good Bye to say trace me, but you gotta chase me!

Jbheath

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   

Nancy: Could you please listen to the clip of Bruce Davis I would like to hear your opinion.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   

Nancy's responses to your questions:

-- Here's a link -- (129KB/MP3)

Johno

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   

I was the one who brought up the question of female police dispatchers and although Nancy may be correct that people hired as dispatchers have always been predominantly female, dispatchers themselves have not.
Most police departments big or small didn't start hiring non-officer dispatchers until the 1960's. Officers which were mostly male, manned the phonelines and switchboards and dispatched calls to the sqaud cars. Many smaller towns still had officers in that postion in the 1970's.
When Zodiac called Napa police 11 weeks after he spoke with Slover it was male officer David Slaight who answered his call on line one of the switchboard.
Since he didn't pull the spooky goodbye on Slaight, Nancy must be correct in her suppostition that he was playing with her for shock value.
He's pulling the shock value card on Slaight so this to me clearly shows that besides being a killer he enjoys scaring women when not killing and females would be the primary target of his attacks with the exception of course of Stine.

I still wonder if he paused when she answered his call before he began with his prepared text as if he was suprised that a female answered.
Had a male answered I think he would have just said goodbye or not even added goodbye. He would have read his text and hung up with no goodbye. I think he ad-libbed that goodbye and it wasn't part of his original prepared text.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   

Johno, you might be right; when Zodiac called the Napa PD nearly three months later he got a male operator and did no such taunting.

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:23 am:   

In the State of Calif, Dept. of Justice Investigation Report, Officer Slaight mentions that the male voice was " young sounding." Is that Nancy's recollection?

Also, and check me if this inaccurate, but wouldn't the November 8th Cipher be the most logical to mention the Goood Bye in it! I'm assuming because the Oct. 11th, correspondence only mentions the Stine matter and the November 8th Driping Pen Card would be relative to a stabbing. I've poored over that Nov. 8th cipher trying to find Gooood Bye in it. Has anyone else attempted to do that? I know that there was an old thread where some of you guys were working on radians, which is what Z had mentioned in one of his writings. Between the radians, the Cyrillic and Greek alphabets, a Cipher key, physics, and the Zodiac, I have a deep suspicion Gooood Byeeee should be in that unsolved Nov. 8th cipher. What do you guys think?

Johno

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   

It's very interesting.
Two phone calls to two trained individuals Slover and Slaight and two different sounding and acting Zodiacs.
Zodiac #1 to Slover speaks louder to get his point across when Slover tries to interupt him and then closes with a spooky taunting loud goodbye.
Slover says she's been taking calls for many hours every day for years and can rightfully consider herself a good judge of age and she puts Zodiac in his "mid-30's."

Zodiac #2 to Slaight pauses to let Slaight interupt him to ask where he's calling from.
Zodiac instead of talking louder or becoming taunting like he did with Slover is instead almost inaudible in his signoff as he says he's the one who did it and lets the phone drop on it's cord still connected to the police department.
Officer Slaight puts his age as "young sounding, early 20's."

CWH (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:57 am:   

wow, this is very very interesting. The "goodbye" is creepy!

James78 (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   

Anybody would know immedietly if they heard a Southern drawl. Im a northerner living in the south. When I moved here the first thing people said when I spoke is your not from around here.

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   

I also wanted to add that Nancy's Goodbye didnt sound anything like Robert Graysmith's. He tries to make things more dramatic dont you think?

Brian_d

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:10 am:   

I don't believe Grayarea ever spoke with Nancy Slover. Par for the course with that guy.

Hallowtim
Username: Hallowtim

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   

Tom, thank you for putting Nancy's recounting of the Zodiac call on. I can't believe how scary that good-bye is.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   

Brian: Nope, he never did. No surprise there...

I've added a pic of Nancy from 1970 on the main page of Zodiackiller.com. More goodies on the way.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   

This discussion continued here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration