Why the name "Zodiac", Part 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » Possible Zodiac Influences » Why the name "Zodiac", Part 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   

Continued from here.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 8:27 am:   

There was certainly a lot of inspiration around the Bay Area in the 60's for Z to get an idea for his image.

http://www.janisjoplin.net/posters/1/

Patrick_t
Username: Patrick_t

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 9:03 am:   

I think the Zodiac got his name from the Zoltan fortune teller machine, it's just a theory I know, but why not. I am not a hard time believer (I would not defend my theory like Carl), but I think the idea is as good as all the others, without any direct proof.

"This is Zoltan speaking" machine had all the zodiac symbols/signs (the real zodiac symbols, not the cross like symbol). was ditributed in late '60, early '70.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   

Here's a link to the topic with Zoltan discussion.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:24 am:   

You have to admit, he picked a catchy and memorable name for himself! Perhaps that was his sole motive after all. The police might have dubbed him "The Cipher Killer" (I think they did for a short time) or "The San Francisco Bay Murderer." Bor-ing! Even "Unabomber" lacks zip. "Zodiac" caught the public's attention such that many people (not just on this board) still remember his name to this day.

It sort of brings to mind Astrology and a Maniac all in one. And in Spanish, going by phonetics and not spelling, "Zodiac" backwards is "Caidos" - The Fallen Ones. Weird, huh?

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   

He may have picked it from the 1967 Elektra Records album "Zodiac Cosmic Sounds" which was a pyschedelic moog synthezized concept album of the 12 signs of the zodiac by Mort Garson.
Elektra's Jac Holtzman got Garson to put together a group of well known studio musicians as The Zodiac including Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Bud Shank, Alex Hassilev, Jaque Wilson, Emil Richards and Paul Beaver with spoken word narration by Cyrus Faryar.
Back album cover stated it "Must be played in the dark."
Became an underground cult classic.
No cross haired symblol on it though.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   

Only the Zodiac watch has both the name and the logo.I believe the guy was a diver who knew Darlene and her ex who was a diver.He could be the guy they called "Honcho" who went to NY with them, and the Virgin Islands.I would like to find anyone who remembers a guy called Honcho living in Vallejo/Napa or S.F.back in 66/67.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   

IMO, the watch theory makes the most sense if we include the Bates murder as being his first. He aparently lost his old watch/idenity during that murder, and gained a new watch/idenity from that point onward. Like the Helter Skelter example. We can debate the motive endlessly, even if we do find the specific source.
I've always been suspicious of the aparent connection to astrology, since his letters seem relatively free of direct references to astrological terminolgy or situations. Sure, his cyphers used some astrological symbols, but they used a wide selection of images from other sources. They definately weren't "Zodiac-specific."
I just got the book Tom referenced, "An Astrologer Looks At Murder," which seems to be a curiously specific influence to pop up at the beginning of Zodiac's campaign.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:42 am:   

Even if we don't include the Bates murder, that watch is the only place other than a Zodiac car, where you can see both the logo and the name together. Back in the 6o's a lot of us thought we knew a lot about astrology signs, I still dabble in it. He could have gotten the name as a nick-name because he would ask everyone he met, what their sign was. Then saw the watch and made a connection with the logo kind of like, which came first the chicken or the egg. I was told once by Darlenes sister, that Darlene gave the killer the name Zodiac, because he did ask everyone about their sign. How she knew that I have no idea. My post above this one should have asked for the dates between 66 to 74. I think whatever it was that Darlene, Jim, and Honcho were into, Honcho was the main man so to speak, and could very well be the poi we need to find. Isn't that word a Hispanic word for boss ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration