TIME Feb. 16, 1968 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » Possible Zodiac Influences » TIME Feb. 16, 1968 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   

How to Solve a Cipher
From February 16, 1968 issue of Time Magazine

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,8 37913-1,00.html

Think Zodiac might have read this article?

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:17 am:   

Nice find Yarbchris. I'm a dunce with ciphers, but anything like that which closely pre-dates Zodiac's reign is of interest to me.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:30 am:   

Brilliant find!!
I think that we should have a thread specifically called "Zodiac's Influences?" and showcase suspicious media from Z's era. Include the photos from Argrosy, Zoltar Speaks, this Cipher article, Charlie Chan on Treasure Island, Astrologist Looks at Murder, etc. These jewels are too fascinating to be buried in multiple threads.

Ubpclaw
Username: Ubpclaw

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:52 am:   

Heres a good website I found when I Googled Parker Hitt's Manual for the Solution of Military Ciphers from the Time article

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/coding/379/l esson1.htm

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:58 am:   

The Riverside confession mentioned the word "time" at least five times if I recall correctly, but that was written a couple of years prior to the article linked above.

However, Zodiac's Citizen/Badlands letter also uses the word "time" in a noticeable way; it appears that word was written first right in the middle of the page, and the rest of the letter was fitted around it.

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   

Curious why you think that Tom?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   

Because of the different slant and the fact that it's almost exactly in the middle of the letter.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:10 am:   

"Time" is he 'centerpiece' in the Citizen letter.I think Tom is correct.

Z is playing newspaper 'reader'or ordinary citizen in '74 and sending letters to the Chronicle.
Toschi said it best when he remarked that,"He's [Z]not fooling anybody-no matter what his game is.There's no doubt in my mind about either one[Citizen and Marco missives].I took them to a documents expert and in less then five minutes he told me positively they were in fact written by the Zodiac.He's trying to slip letters and cards into the Chronicle without being detected."

An expert does not necessarily look at the outer mechanistic style of writing as the perp may be trying to disguise or manipulate his/her writing;so the expert examines the intrinsic or inner basic writing habits of the writer.
In this case the expert realized it was Z's writing,but Z was using deceptive writing styles as a means to disguise his former PUBLIC writing manner or style.

The late Henry Silver(50 years of experience and 8 years formal training by that time!)told me he was able to demonstrate deceptive or disguised writing many times in court and point out the true guilty party.
He did not search for ordinary stylistic characterisics-how could he if the writing was disguised by the perp?

Although a conviction could not be obtained by his testimony he was proven right by the body of evidence.

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   

This is the type of thing that really makes this case so intriguing. Such clear motivation on the part of the killer and so little to explain it. Obviously I wonder why Zodiac would create a letter around a word pre-placed on the page, but Howard's last comment also makes me wonder how many did get past - how many letters were missed?

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   

Regarding Z's motivation to place the word "Time" in the center of the page...

>Such clear motivation on the part of the killer and so little to explain it.

I really think that Zodiac was schizophrenic to some degree. Having known a number of people who were burdened with this disorder, I was always struck by how they'd deliberately do very precise and apparently motivated actions that really ment nothing. When questioned, they would elaborate and justify, but their reasoning was so flawed that it was worse than "Looking Glass Logic." For example, one schizophrenic friend was talking to me while folding laundry. He set his bluejeans and shirts on his bed, continued the conversation, and stood there looking at the clothes. Then, without a word he scooped them up and carried them back to the washer. I asked him why he was doing it, and he explained that they'd touched his bed, and therefore had to all be rewashed. I pointed out that the blankets has just been washed, were clean, and only the bottm set of clothes actually touched the bed, but he said it'd still "made them all dirty again."

I think some aspects of Zodiac's communications could not even be explained by Zodiac himself.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   

I have a copy of S.F.Examiner dated Nov.15th 94. In the Announcements section was something I felt was very Z like. It had to do the the movie Dirty Harry , in the movie they showed a news paper with a note to Scorpio. The one I found in Nov. 94 had: To Scorpio we agree, but need "time" to get money. Be patient. (The Chronical was on strike durring that time.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration