January 12, 1974 Daly City Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » January 12, 1974 Daly City « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   

January 12, 1974, Daly City

A caller (to the police department, I believe) claiming to be Zodiac says that he killed a woman and dumped her body in a Daly City church. I believe the area churches were searched, but nothing was found. Any thoughts?

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   

Source?

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   

After checking again, I need to make a clarification. The news story was dated January 12, the actual call may have been earlier.

The source for this information was the January 12, 1974 edition of the San Mateo Times.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   

Well, unless you can at least reproduce the article textually, there's not enough to go on for me. I can't begin to discuss something intelligently without a bit more info.

I do know there were lots of crank letters and calls back then.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   

I would LOVE to see that article. :-) Tons of thoughts but none are relevant if it's not a true story.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   

I would love the full text as well, that is part of the reason I made this post. I thought someone might be familiar with the story. The site I where usually purchase west coast articles has been down for weeks, if not months. This has been frustrating because I have discovered many interesting stories that I cannot discuss because I cannot read them in their entirety. All I had a chance to see was a small amount of text, the gist of which I have posted here.

I have no reason to doubt the story, which referred to police reports. I have plenty of reason to doubt the claims of the caller. Still, I would like to know more about anything related to the Zodiac, and this seemed a bit interesting.

Deoxys

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   

Well... the obvious interest is that this article would have been written 17 days BEFORE the Exorcist Letter, which was apparently mailed from somewhere in or near San Mateo County. In other words, the call would have been placed at a time when Z was nearly forgotten about (or at least not in the headlines) and then Z decides to write again two weeks later.

Who knows? Even if this was a prank, it could have been a catalyst to encourage Z to pick up his pen for the first time in several years.

Here's the contact info. for the San Mateo Times if anyone wants to do some sleuthing:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/c ontactus/

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   

I would love to see the article too, since I lived in San Mateo, and my parents lived in Daly City for a time.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   

There was a body of a young girl found in a Church 10 mo. later Oct 12th 74 "Columbus Day" at Stanford, South of SanFrancisco. Her name was Arlis Perry. I remember her because when I saw her picture, I thought of how much she looked like me. Her car had had a low tire the night she was killed.She had asked her husband of 8 weeks to fix it,he had put it off. She went to the church that night,and was found early in the morning with a ice-pick in her head, and a 30inch candle pushed inside of her, she was also beaten and choked. She had written a letter to one of her friends in North Dakota a week or so before. she wrote that she had seen a man in the elevator one day . She said that when she said hello to the man, he looked at her but wouldn't say hello back. A man who was seen near the crime scene, was asked if he had seen anyone ? He replied that he saw a sandy haired man, and that the man was not wearing a watch. I believe that the man the police spoke to could very well be the sick killer. Noticing that a man was not wearing a watch ,I feel that alone was very strange. She was posed with her legs spread,her slacks were posed with the legs spread in a way that looked like the sign of the masons V with a upside down V over laping and facing in the opposite direction across her calves. A diamond like shape. The only thing missing from the Masons logo was the G. She was only 19yrs old. She was killed on a holliday and just one day and 5 yrs from the Stine killing. Some of you will say that this is nothing like the old zodiac's way of killing,true it is different. If you break it down to a "young girl", ice-pick (water),"car" with a bad tire,"watch" (its about time), beaten and choked. I can't help but think about Cheri Jo Bates. Cheri Jo had been to "church" the day she was killed. I find it very interesting that a phone call be it a fake or not, it is a very odd coincidence !

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   

Thanks for the information, Sandy. I think there is a chance, however small, the murder could be Zodiac related. I have my doubts that the incident is related to the call, but it is an interesting coincidence. Ms. Perry was apparently killed inside the church. I think the caller said that he dumped the body in a church. Palo Alto is also a good 30 miles away from Daly City.

Sandy

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   

Thanks Yarbchris,The caller had to be somewhat a liar, do to the fact that there wasn't a body dumped in a church. 10 months later he could have been in that area for what ever reason, and saw the opportunity to at least have a body in a church.It looks to me that Arlis was stalked by this killer, because whom ever it was had a phone put in Arlis's husbands name. We know this because her friends had called and a stranger would pick up the phone.Years later words of her death were found in a satanic bible,it read Arlis Perry: Hunted, Stalked and slain. Followed to California.

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   

The Perry murder has been attributed, with much debate, to William Mentzer. Mentzer has been fingered as "Manson II" and there exists some debate as to whether he is indeed the Zodiac killer. There are many Satanist stories surrounding the murder. Some seem credible, some fall into the madness of conspiracy theorists. Even David Berkowitz is linked to this murder.

As for the Daly City phone call, the caller did give out false information. The call may have been a message or some kind of a test. It may have just been a meaningless prank. There was so much going on at the time, I can't help but feel there is something to it.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   

And maybe it was just a random murder that others took advantage of by making false claims about it.

Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   

The Arliss Perry murder has always fascinated me because of the church connection and all of the conspiracy theories that have revolved around this. I'd still like to read the newspaper report of this call. The contact info. for the San Mateo Times is linked above.

Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 12:22 am:   

Deo, the article was available at Newspaperarchive. They have recently changed their pricing strategy and do not seem to allow single article purchases anymore. I plan to purchase the article sometime in the future. I'm not ready to dish out for a subscription just yet because I have been doing business with another supplier. This research thing can get rather expensive at times, especially when examining multiple cases. I don't think the subscription is very expensive, so I will be signing up later.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:08 am:   

Yarbchris, Manson "11" was also called Mr. Realestate who was also a Mason. Bill Mentzer as far as I remember wasn't into realestate,nor was he a mason. The witness Tommy Ziano said the shooter didn't look like David Berkowitz. And as a witness he had to have seen Mentzer's picture, yet he wasn't ID'd. I would love to see a comparison made to the pug nosed 44 used in the S.O.S. murders and the pug nosed 44 used on Edda Kane age 44 on Mt Tam Aug.19 1979.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   

I have yet to see a good connection between the crime and the Daly City phone call.
I'm not all that familiar with Manson II, Mentzer, or any of that, so I'll refrain from making any judgments. I was just touching on the various theories surrounding that murder. As far as I can tell, the identity of Manson II is still debatable.
I think the speculation regarding the Perry murder (and the actual crime) is very intriguing. I may try to examine the various angles (on my site) after more research.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   

Sandy--I would like to see a comparison of the .44's also. Alledgedly, Carpenter received a .44 in the mail from the NYC area before Edda Kane was shot.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   

Where does the .44 pug nose information come from in the Kane case? I was under the impression that she was killed with a .45 caliber.

Sandy

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   

Yarbchris, Edda Kane was killed with a 44 pug nosed BullDog. Vallejo Dave, I thought he received the 38 in the mail. I went to SanDiego to read the file on Carpenter,the police lost some of that file ! I would love to talk to Carpenter some day.I still find it hard to believe that he could stop his stuttering, when he spoke to his victims. Until he was caught, the police believed it was the Zodiac who was doing the killing, and making all those phone calls.

Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

Another one of those strange coincidences. A young Asian girl 23yrs old is missing from the "Stanford" campus on Saturday the 20th, her name is Zhou Mengyao. It is un-like her to not return to class. I posted about the murder at Standford just two days before she disappeared.It gave me a strange feeling when I saw the breaking news.I pray she is found safe.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   

Mengyao Zhou, has been found dead in the trunk of her car, in Santa Rosa near a school.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration