ZODIAC SHOW & TELL Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Zodiac Discussion » ZODIAC SHOW & TELL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vscantu
Username: Vscantu

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   

This is a thread for all to show their Zodiac collector's items or memorabilia. Any souveniers, odds & ends, etc.

It's a renewal of a thread I'd started on this board before the old one 'crashed'. Hopefully we'll all have some cool stuff to show each other.

Here's mine:

C:\Documents and Settings\Victor\Application Data\Yahoo!\Mail\attach\958[1].jpg

It's the very first book ever to have a likeness of Zodiac on its cover. This is a rare 1st edition of the 1974 book, "Great Crimes Of San Francisco". the only edition that had the Zodiac pictured on the cover. All the later editions have a semi-boring photo of an old victorian house on it. It has 10 or so stories of murders & major S.F. crimes.

The picture on the cover is a mysterious one that seems to be a never-before-seen version of the famous S.F. Wanted poster. You can see the exact same printed info below Zodiac as is printed on the "official" Wanted poster. Right down to the date, "October 18," and the number, "90-69".

This one contains many "errors", such as the Zodiac (headshot on left) with a pencil-thin mustache! He also sports fairly long hair- about twice as long as in the accepted Wanted portrait. Was this an early police drawing of him? (You can make out the artists' light orientation pencil lines on the lower half of his face.).

The Lake Berryessa drawing of him on the right in his 'costume' also shows a couple of major inaccuracies: His hood hugs the round outline of his head and is pointy on top. Whereas the 'real one' was a flat, 4-pointed hood. It also extended well below his chest, almost to his waist. Whereas the one above only goes down to his shoulders. Except in the very front, where it is just a little longer.

The actual Zodiac article is introduced as "The first major study of the Zodiac murders." It's a pretty fascinating account of the Zodiac saga up to the "Exorcist" letter. It's a good 37 pages long and is written by a S.F. Chronicle reporter of the time named Duffy Jennings.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   

Is that really supposed to be Z's Lake Berryessa outfit?!? He looks more like a beekeeper than a hooded executioner.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   

I bid on a copy of that book on ebay a year or two back, but Scott outbid me! His excuse was that I already had 2 copies of it... which I do, but of the later edition with the Victorian home on the cover! Oh well...

Vscantu

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:38 am:   

I know, Deoxys. That's a pretty ridiculous version of the "Lake Berryessa Zodiac". And if you enlarge the graphic (by dragging "File" at top to "Print Preview", then increasing the 'magnification' to "200%"), you can barely make out the white 'Zodiac' crossed circle on the bottom of his 'executioners' (or "Beekeeper") bib. It's much more clear in real life. And where did that thin mustache on the other face portrait come from??

Plus he seems to be wearing the 'windbreaker' type jacket that was described in the Stine killing. All of which makes the book that much more of a cool, but curious collectors' item.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

He looks tall enough to be Scotty Pippen.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   

That looks like Levi's and cowboy boots to me. Where's the wing walkers?

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   

I collect books, photos, letters, magazines,LP's, autographs--anything to do with the SF area, in addition to Z items. I like reading about the places Z might have frequented, such as places described in here

caen02C:\mysettings\mydocuments\caen.jpeg

The Presidio, Playland, The Chronicle building, Union Square, Pacific Heights and others.

Vscantu

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   

Pretty interesting, Vallejo_dave. It's funny that the book shows an almost replica of Zodiac's symbol in the upper-right corner!

I'd be really interested in seeing anymore of your Zodiac related items posted here.

Bargle
Username: Bargle

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   

My first 'indepth introduction' to the Zodiac case. I bought it off the spinner rack at the local 7-11.
The Zodiac Killer by Jerry Weissman

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   

This video is really rare and one of my favorite Zodiac nuggets I've obtained over the years.

WC

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   

I have the first wanted poster dated Oct 13th 1969 No.87-69 before the revised composite.Suspect WMA, 25-30 years,5'8 to 5'9,Reddish brown hair- crew cut. Heavy rim glasses Navy blue or black jacket. George Bawart VPD gave it to me when I spoke to him about a POI in 69. Funny that my R.Hernandez suspect has that thin mustache.

Vscantu

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   

Bargle: Very cool book cover there. I vaguely recall that title. Is the book really about the actual Zodiac Killer case? I seem to remember it as being a totally fictional account that has nothing to do with the real one. But I could be wrong. And the Barnes & Noble site doesn't tell you what it's about. Please enlighten.

Vscantu

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   

Tom: Let's hear more about your Zodiac video. If it's one of your favorites, there must be some fascinating details about it. All we get on your post is just a 'still' photo.

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:32 am:   

Here's my edition of Great Crimes of San Francisco, and the 1977 novel, Zodiac Killer: Still At Large:

GCOSF.jpg ZKSALa.JPG

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   

Dennis Kaufman should scan and post of piece of Stine's shirt.

Søren_roest_korsgaard
Username: Søren_roest_korsgaard

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   

Ha Ha Ha

Bargle
Username: Bargle

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   

Vscantu, the book is about the Z murders. It is highly fictionalized though.
The character of Z is completely fictional. he's named 'Robert Bennett' in the book. He had peformed in The Mikado and was in the military.
The Cheri Jo Bates murder is described as his first, though changed greatly, as is her name, to Bunny.
Paul Avery becomes Paula Avery.
The Lake Herman Road, Blue Rock Springs, Lake Berryessa and the Paul Stine attacks are all used, though greatly changed.

The text of the 3 part cipher is mostly used. Other letters are paraphrased. The Desktop poem is mentioned.

I think it was Tom that mentioned in an old thread that he thought the cover depicted Paula Avery. It doesn't. In one place in the story, Bennett is practicing aiming in his room at pinups he has on the wall. That's what the cover depicts.

I won't spoil the ending in case anyone wants to read it themselves. I think it's an okay read, but not great.

Vscantu

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   

Very cool collector's item, Bargle. I thought the cover graphic was Britney Spears!(LOL) But seriously, I'll have to keep a keen eye out for it in the used book stores.

Vscantu

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   

Wow, this thread is turning out to be a real thrill. It's like a Zodiac museum!

ED: Thanks for posting your "Great Crimes Of San Francisco" book. I didn't realize that not only was my cover picture WAY different, but so is the 'subtitle',
"Tales Of Blood & Barbarism On The Barbary Coast" vs. yours, "True Tales Of Intrigue By The Bay"

And your other book is really fascinating, "Zodiac Killer...Still At Large". I never knew it existed.

Same question about that one as for Bargle's book; Is it a fairly 'true' account of the Zodiac case? Probably not, since it shows the madman (is that Kenny Kilgore?) beheading his victim.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

Is that my imagination or has the madman already beheaded his victim, yet she's still holding her arms up in self-defense?

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

No, the victim has not been beheaded, but rather, his or her arms and shoulders are up and head/neck cranked forward. What's interesting is the novel isn't really about the Z crimes, it's about a half Dutch/half black guy named Jan (ie, John) Hunter and his trials and tribulations, which include the Z and other murders not attributed to Z. Interestingly enough, the author uses the real names of the victims and even signed the book inside, "12/22/1978 To Bobbie Lee, a very pretty girl. Cliff Smith Jr."

It's only 128 pages long, and Hunter, age 23, finds himself in Riverside on page 69; the Z murders actually take up only a few pages, intertwined with the bigger story about Jan Hunter, which ends in 1976 with him raping a woman he's kept a prisoner in a cage in his home.

Weeza
Username: Weeza

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:00 am:   

I have to dig out my Z map...huh?

Vscantu

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:57 am:   

ED wrote, in reference to "Zodiac Killer- Still At Large":

" Interestingly enough, the author uses the real names of the victims and even signed the book inside, '12/22/1978 To Bobbie Lee, a very pretty girl. Cliff Smith Jr.' "

OK Ed, the obvious question for you: What is "12/22" the Zodiac anniversary of?

(I don't know, but it's a slam-dunk you have at least 2 "Zanniversary's" at your fingertips. Hey, I just made up a word!)

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:28 am:   

Any suspiciously accurate info in the novel, Ed? That would be "interesting" if Z wrote it. He certianly knew his way around the written word.

Flashram
Username: Flashram

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   

In Vscantu's pic... Zodiac looks like Cobra Commander!

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   

Could the villain of Ed's book possibly be the infamous Robert Hunter Jr., changing his name to Jan and time-traveling to the future to imprison women in his Jackson St. abode?

Vscantu

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   

Yeah, Flashram, the Zodiac pictured on the right of my book does look like Cobra Commander! Here's a link (that's him on the right side): http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/cc.html

I think it's my favorite Zodiac book cover. Just cuz it's so trippy, but based on the actual Zodiac Wanted poster. With several very bizarre mistakes.

Plus the Zodiac chapter was written by an actual S.F. Chronicle reporter- who was probably an associate of Robert Graysmith and Paul Avery. Too bad he didn't write the first full-length Zodiac book instead of Graysmith. History would have been much different then.

Ed_neil

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   

Here's another one:

Oken1.JPG

In Zodiac, pp. 247-248, Yellow Book claims he found all the symbols Z used in his ciphers in As Above, So Below. The only problem with that claim is that particular book was published in November 1973... oops.

Vscantu

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:47 am:   

Great find, Ed!

At first I thought Graysmith may not have been implying that Zodiac used the book "As Above, So Below" by Alan Oken to write his 340-character cypher. I figured he just used it as a reference to find the symbols in any one place, before or after Zodiac's reign. But then I checked the "Zodiac" book & found this on the page you mentioned (page 248)- which has Inspector Toschi saying to Graysmith:

" "Your information on the Oken book is startling." Toschi wrote to me. "To think that Zodiac probably used the same text that you have read is fascinating." "

Theory:

Maybe Zodiac traveled forward in time past 1973, then did a search & found "As Above, So Below". Then he used it to ingeniously create the 340-character code, then traveled back to 1969 with the cypher & mailed it out that way.

...Well, it could have happened!

Serialprofilingfan
Username: Serialprofilingfan

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

Yes yes !!!! That's it z used the equipment that was used for the philliadelphia experiment since he was navy supposedly ...blam went ahead in the future took care of bizznezz and came back in zodiac time framed ala and the other poi`s and using mind control technics from the mk ultra program yeah it all makes sense now!

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:04 am:   

Masturbating all the while, no doubt!

Vscantu

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   

Will you quit with the masturbating, already, Doug!?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   

I guess I'd better, before we all go blind!

Vscantu

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   

Oh by the way, ED, do you remember how much the "Great Crimes Of S.F." book - Zodiac cover- sold to Scott for? A million dollars?

Just curious.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:33 am:   

Not offhand Victor, sorry... I was probably at work that day and couldn't outbid him, lol, but I'd guess it was less than $20...

Vscantu

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

Did Zodiac use this book to formulate his warped theory of killing? It's a rare, 1967 Alfred Hitchcock book of horror stories. It's an extra big, hardback that has on the cover a painting of the infamous story, "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell.

C:\Documents and Settings\Victor\Application Data\Yahoo!\Mail\attach\001[1].jpg

The cover shows the 'hunted' character, Sanger Rainsford, just after his ship wrecked, swimming to the dark island of the guy who enjoys hunting & killing people- General Zaroff.

And the 1st page of the story starts with this satanic drawing on it,

C:\Documents and Settings\Victor\Application Data\Yahoo!\Mail\attach\002[1].jpg

All-in-all, it's a really fascinating find. Even though the story was written much earlier, I couldn't help but wonder if Zodiac read this particular version of the book.

Especially since it also has a Zodiac-like story called, "Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper". It is a fictional account of a 1940's hunt by "Sir Guy", for The Ripper, who never ages. This is because 'Red Jack', as he is sometimes referred to here (shades of Zodiac calling himself "The Red Phantom"?) kills in order to offer the Gods blood, who in turn give him eternal youth.
"-when the moon & the stars are right- and with the proper ceremonies."

The ripper-hunter, Sir Guy, has studied the dates of The Ripper' murders. "The pattern those dates formed. The Rhythm. The solar, lunar, stellar rhythm. The sidereal asapect. The astrological significance."

He's sure The Ripper has killed scores according to this warped method.

"As sure as the stars. I've plotted his chart, you see. All 87 of the murders correspond to certain astrological rhythm patterns."

The devilish picture introducing "The Most Dangerous Game" story above, and the 'Ripper' tale a few pages later, both easily bring to mind Zodiac's scary 'Halloween Card' with it's reference to reaching 'Paradice' by murdering innocent people. Eerily, Zodiac's card also has a mocking, haunted face- smiling maniacly, with an open mouth. See Tom's photo here:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/HalloweenCard.html

Sounds like it was a good inspiration for our wacko to feed off & call himself "The Zodiac Killer".

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   

Since this thread is for souveniers, odds, ends etc.. I'll submit this under the odd category.
This is a video from a garage band called Time Flys of their song "Zodiac Killer's Son."
http://newusedrecords.blogspot.com/2007/02/time-fl ys-video-zodiac-killers-son.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration