Z moves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Cecelia Shepard and Bryan Hartnell » Z moves « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   

I don't understand how Z could have advanced upon the victims in the way Hartnell describes. From looking at the aerial photo(the one with the red x) wouldn't Z have been in plain sight the entire time? The ground doesn't even appear to lower significantly, to the point that it would allow him to circle around the victims and advance from the other side.

My thought is that maybe after Cecelia see's him watching, she and Hartnell go back to whatever they were doing and simply pay the man no attention as he circles around them...that is until he approaches.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:09 am:   

Zodiac Island is quite high, at least 7'-8' above the sand spit that connects it to the shore (from what I remember anyway; I haven't been there in months). Also, Hartnell and Shepard were on the far side of the island under the trees, opposite to where the sand spit is. Coupled with the fact that they were both lying down, it's not surprising that Z was able to approach them so easily. Also, Z didn't have to circle anything; he could easily have walked straight from what is now the parking lot along the sand spit and straight behind the 3rd tree where he put his hood on.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   

Cecelia never got a look before Z put the hood on? It says she seen him about 30ft away before he ducked behind the tree to put the mask on.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   

In the late 1990s I read a report at the Napa County Sheriff's Dept. that indicated Cecelia had seen the Zodiac prior to his wearing the hood. Unfortunately I couldn't copy the report, so I hardly mention it as I'm working from memory only and have no corroboration. Apparently the report included details of Cecelia's conversation with an EMT prior to going unconscious. Cecelia also said Zodiac was wearing glasses before the hood went on, but again I'm working from memory only and could be mistaken.

Bomaye
Username: Bomaye

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   

Would this report you speak of, be made public? Meaning, wouldn't someone be able to access it? Not that I can, being so far away.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   

No, it's an open murder investigation, so the only way you'll likely get access is if you make a friend on the inside.

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   

My question about this has always been--if he wasn't wearing the hood when he was first coming down the hill (and likely not wearing the tunic either, nor have the knife or gun at his side nor the rope showing), then where were these items? In a bag? He must have been carrying something but I've never read any indication that he was.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:32 am:   

The lack of the suspicious man apparently carrying anything is one of (many) reasons that it's doubted that he could have photographed the killing. However, like you, I wonder how he carried his "costume and props." The father & son, who apparently saw him too, didn't mention him carrying anything either. (BTW, did they ever give a description or input on the composite??)

I suppose that he could have stuffed them inside his jacket, or hung them from his belt, but even that seems like it would be a little conspicuous.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   

I seem to remember Hartnell referring to a pouch on the jacket. This made me think of those jackets where the front pockets meet. He could have stashed stuff in there.

Or:

Would it have been unusual for a man to have his jacket tied about his waist? The jacket could have draped over his knife and gun if that were the case.

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   

True David, the son (who Graysmith purportedly interviewed before he wrote his second book) never says anything about Z carrying anything nor having a jacket tied about him.

Then again, Z could have been carrying his 'equipment' later in the day when he was doing more than idle stalking. The reason is that, having seen Hartnell's Ghia and perhaps knowing from it and its contents that a couple was down below, he had reason to take his kit with him since he knew there were targets down at the edge of the water.

The fact remains though that Cecelia and/or someone should have noticed and he was taking a big chance walking around with this stuff on what was basically a late summer afternoon.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration