Doobie Visits The Scene: Water, 38, M... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Paul Stine » Doobie Visits The Scene: Water, 38, Maple v. Cherry « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   

Yesterday I was in San Francisco and decided to check out the Stine scene, never having been there before. Without a map, I was still able to get to the location with little hassle (it even surprised me when "Tamoca" suddenly came upon the Washington/Cherry corner). Took a stroll around the neighborhood and have 3 observations to report - maybe important, maybe not.

The "Water" angle - the corner fire hydrant tale left me "dry." Yes, it's there. But so is...the Pacific Ocean! Clearly visible westward along Washington at Cherry which is the last summit of S.F. as the peninsula slopes gradually toward "Land's End" and the sea.

Maple vs. Cherry - this perplexing tale has Z asking Stine to be taken to Wash. & Maple, then he goes one block west. Looking northward to the Presidio from Washington, Maple and Cherry are quite different! Maple slopes downward to Jackson and ends in a circle filled with...flowers. Cherry, strangely, is almost level and beyond Jackson, ends in a circle filled with...pine trees. So - Z might have just had Stine slow down, looked down Maple, realized it was not the street he wanted, and asked to go the extra block. Cherry also ends with a weird little staircase that goes nowhere -to a wall with a 3-ft. drop into the Presidio. (While I was standing there two ladies actually came by muttering, "I know we had parked our car around here someplace, must be one block further on...)

Z wrote on 6-26-70, "I shot a man in a parked car with a .38." Cherry starts the 3800 block of Washington! (Weird because 2nd Avenue, 2 blocks west, is I suppose the 4000 block throughout S.F. though Washington does not extend that far west). It is the 38th block that killed Stine.

The Exorcist Letter of 1/30/74 giving the "score" of Me 37 SFPD 0 may be a clue that on the night of the Stine murder, Z parked his car on the 3700 block, Spruce and Jackson or Spruce and Washington? In fact I start to wonder if all those little "scores" (Zodiac 10 SFPD 0, etc.) don't simply represent the street corner or block where Z wrote or mailed his letters!

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 12:01 am:   

DOOBIE!!!

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   

Good thoughts, Eric. If that is the case, what would "Zodiac 10, SFPD 0" stand for?

I like your observation that Washington and Cherry is the last western hill in SF, with a view of the Pacific!--and Land's End. Would that be an indication that Stine's killer was familiar with the area?

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   

Perhaps, Vallejo_Dave, Zodiac wrote or mailed that "Z 10 SFPD 0" from the 10th block of Washington, which should be at Powell. In the heart of Chinatown? Well, lots of computer
"Ploglams" there anyway. Course, it could just as well be 10th block N or S of - what's the dividing line? - Market St.? My map doesn't give "block numbers" or I might have delved into all this years ago.

Maybe Z wrote those letters in his car? Or a "hippie van" which would be common enough in S.F. back then?

If the Pacific Ocean/Land's End was a factor in Z's choosing the murder site beforehand, I'd definitely say he had to have scouted the area by day. The seacoast is often not visible by night (fog). Too, if he hid out in the tree-filled Presidio, he'd have had to known in advance where he was stepping.

PS to all: I have some photos illustrating what I say; Mr. T.V. has copies but I can email to anyone requesting them. Please, no nasty requests like Doobie Eats Bluber!

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:28 am:   

J eric--I'd like to see your photos. Please email them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration