DNA from crime scene and letters sent Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Possible Zodiac Victims » Cheri Jo Bates (1966) » DNA from crime scene and letters sent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colette
Username: Colette

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:00 am:   

I wonder if Riverside PD ever checked the confession letters for DNA and compared them to the DNA from hair in Cheri's hand. Would the letter DNA match Zodiac letters?

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   

Collette,
The '66' letters didn't have stamps so not even salvia could be typed then;but the flaps could yield DNA unless the writer used a damp sponge or some such method.

The'67 notes' envelopes stamps and flaps could be typed.
If it were found that the stamp DNA(if there is any) were a different type than the DNA on the flaps it could be very interesting!

I have never heard if RSPD ever made any attempt to compare DNA with the hair strand.
Since the Bates hair DNA typing is in the National Base it can be checked or will come up as a 'hit.'

We know at least two Z suspects have had DNA typing and that's Allen and TK.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

Also consider that the the DNA in Codis (however your spell that) is mitochondrial DNA and at the time, MDNA could not be tested against syliva and blood.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   

There were a couple drops of dried blood found in the alley indicating the killer left back onto Terracina. Were the dry blood drops Cheri's or her killers? I couldn't find anything saying it was either Cheri's or the killer's. If it was her killer's blood, it would maybe seem that during the struggle he may have been slashed as well. Think if you were killing someone with a knife wouldn't you think with the struggle that took place that you would get slashed as well? There would be even more injury to the suspect! I wonder if local hospitals were checked out to see if someone needed emergency help with a cut? Even if it was Cheri's blood the killer still could of been hurt and looked to get medical attention. Let me know if this has been discussed already?

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:39 am:   

James78,In a lot of stabbing cases the perp gets cut,I missed reading about the blood found in the alley. I just saw something very interesting about DNA testing. It is molecular Bio.discoverd by Tony Frudakis PHD, called "DNA Witness".It can give us the nationality of the perp. In 92persent of the time it can give the eye color ! That could narrow down the suspects to perhaps a few, if used on the Zodiac DNA.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   

I read about the dry blood drops in one of those old newspaper archives.

Colette
Username: Colette

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   

They could also get DNA from the watchband and see if it compares to the blonde hair DNA.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

One issue with DNA and this case that I've never seen anyone address...
Cheri, according to all accounts, had DNA under her fingernails from scratching her attacker. (One account said she scratched her attackers face, although I don't know how they drew that conclusion.) She also was clutching hairs. I heard that the DNA from her fingernails had deteriated too much to be annalyzed when technology reached that point.
Eventually, the hair's DNA did not prove to be a match with the lead suspect.
However, I don't recall anyone, including the "lead suspect," being reported as having scratches on their face or anywhere visable.
Did ANY of the people who were interviewed show scratches on their face or arms?

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   

Have the detectives in this case ever cross-referenced the DNA from the three letters' envelope flaps? It seems that establishing a DNA connection, or lack of one, between the "Confession" letter and the two following letters would be easy, these days. Of course, they could compare the results to the crime scene DNA.

I've never heard of the CJB letters being analyzed for DNA, even though they have crime scene DNA. Has anyone else heard otherwise??

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   

Colette, I thought I read that the hair was light in color, but I hadn't heard that it was blonde. Do you remember where you read it was blonde ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration