The Confession Letter. From Zodiac? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Possible Zodiac Victims » Cheri Jo Bates (1966) » The Confession Letter. From Zodiac? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott_ben
Username: Scott_ben

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 7:42 am:   

I believe this has been a point of contention in the past on this board and I would like to express my views concering this letter. Was this letter from the killer of Cheri Jo Bates? I believe it was. The Riverside police said as much in their letter to Napa in '69. Their wording I believe was that "there is no doubt that the person who wrote the confession letter is our homicide suspect". Strong words! Why the sureness?
Many have pointed to the car being disabled in the same manner as stated in the letter. However I believe it might of been the statement in the letter that the knife broke. This is a very specific statement that truly only the killer would have knowledge of(unless the letter writter had inside info). Also if the statement was untrue it would discredit the validity of the letter. Now was Z the killer of Cheri Jo Bates? I was of the view that he just wrote the letters. However my I'm starting to turn the other way.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   

Scott ben, I read the same thing about the letter. How ever the knife (I believe I read it somewhere), was not broken off inside Cheri Jo. I still believe the Z did it, along with a few others down south.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   

"I plunged the knife into her and it broke. I then finished the job by cutting her throat." - Confession Letter

The writer of that letter couldn't have finished the job to a point of almost decapitating her with a knife that was broken off inside her which was a small nife to began with could he?
But he never said he broke the blade. He just said the knife broke.
He might have simply broken part of the handle.
That might be why Zodiac had a taped handle on his knife at Lake Berryessa, not to keep it from slipping out of his hand but to make sure the handle on a knife used in an attack wouldn't come apart again.

"I first pulled the middle wire from the distributor."

That wasn't made public that it was the middle wire of the distributor but the writer could have made an educated guess on disabling the car if the letter was a hoax so that's not the definitive clincher.

"I kicked her in the head to shut her up."

That's the key phrase in the confession letter.
They hadn't disclosed to the media that she had been kicked in the head. But she was.

"Her breast felt very warm and firm under my hands."

We don't know if her blouse had been snagged or torn in the front but I would guess that this is where the watch came off.
He put his hand and wrist that the watch was on under her blouse and in the struggle it got snagged on the material and came off. the watch didn't just fly off his wrist and he saw where it landed. It came off in her clothing and fell out of her clothing as she was being dragged away and struggled with and he never realized the exact spot where it might have hit the ground so he couldn't find it before he had to leave the scene.

Bargle
Username: Bargle

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 5:18 am:   

I think I've pointed this out before, but I'll mention it again, just in case.
It's also possible the killer was using a lockback or switchblade knife and the locking mechanism broke. This would leave the blade swinging freely. He could still use it for a slashing type cut, but if he tried to make a stab with it, it would likely fold up on his fingers.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration