Why No Boasting About This Crime? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Possible Zodiac Victims » Robert Domingos and Linda Edwards (1963) » Why No Boasting About This Crime? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   

Always wondered why, if Domingos and Edwards were Zodiac victims, Zodiac made no direct claims to the murders. One idea came to mind the other night: perhaps someone saw Z going back to his car from the beach. Might even have had a brief conversation wtih him such as "Gee, I wish I could spend the day at the beach instead of just taking a lunch break beside the highway..." or some such.

This other person, if he existed, would have to be parked far enough away from the crime scene not to notice the rising smoke from the burning shed (i.e., a few hundred feet south and thus facing away from the scene). Z was afraid this person could come forward as a witness - so he never specifically mentioned the crime.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Scott_ben
Username: Scott_ben

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:29 am:   

Z also never bragged about Lake Berryessa. Never mentioned it in his letters. Only the car door and a phone call. Which is more then this crime. Which is why Z has never been officially linked to it.There is a number of reasons he may have been silent about it.

1. It was his first murder. Before he had thought of the Z persona.

2. He knew one or both of the victims.

3. He was actually a suspect or questioned by police.

4. It may not have been Z

These as well as you theory could be the reason

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:20 am:   

I think #2 is a good bet. Domingos was a star athlete, as I recall. Perhaps it was a team mate who became jealous. If so, Z would not want to call attention to the crime because of his close connection to the victims.

Z must have been to the site beforehand. He must have known the shed was there, and premeditated burning it.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:56 am:   

That presupposes that he knew Domingos and Edwards were specifically going there, checked it out beforehand and planned everything in advance. If anything, he knew it was there simply because he had been to the beach before, not to plan a double murder, but to enjoy the day.

Scott: Z wasn't completely silent about LB. He included it in his victim tally in the 11-8-1969 Pen card: Des July Aug Sept Oct = 7. He also claimed 7 victims on page 1 of the 11-9-1969 letter as well.

Scott_ben

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   

Yes, Ed forgot to include that in my post but you are right. He also implied he had committed other murders. "You are only finding the easy ones", I believe is the quote. My point was, if he wanted to, Z did not have to boast or brag, as the thread implied. I do think this killer knew the victims in this crime. However I do not think this murder was preplanned. I think the killer came back and set the fire after the panic had set in over what he had done. He may of been to the site before mabye not. Like alot z crimes this might have been a kind of lovers lane area or party area known to the local youth. That would be my bet.

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   

To me....if pre-cut rope and a gun are taken to the crime scene you're gonna have one helluva time convincing a jury that there isn't premeditation on the part of the killer.

If the killer wasn't known by the victims, and indeed Z, then my guess as to why he didn't boast of this crime is because it was one of his first and he had yet to develop this aspect of his M.O.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   

Zodiac-type murders, i.e., apparently motiveless killings of people in lovers' lanes, while rare, are a bit more common than some might think. Without a linkage element, such as the concomitant requirement for publicity, it's hard to associate two separate instances, especially in a big place like California. The logical answer to the question is that this isn't a Zodiac crime.

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:51 am:   

I seem to remember another couple killing that has been mentioned in conjecture with this one. I believe it took place in Fontana, CA or therabouts. Anyone remember this? I saw this mentioned briefly somewhere in a Z related posting long ago.

Scott_ben

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:43 am:   

I don't know if this is a z crime or not, I swing back and forth. Wreck, everybody who has pre-cut rope and a gun are not planning a murder. Yes, he may have been planning to do something, but the burning of the shed is what I was really talking about. V. Dave stated he thought that it proved the killer had been to the site before. I simply disagree with the statement. Premeditated murder? Mabye. Was the killer familer with the site of the murders? There really isn't a way to prove that. The best case for it, is the remoteness of the area. However there is no way the killer could have planned murdering these kids at this site. He had no way of knowing
they would be there.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:51 am:   

I would agree with Doug that this wasn't a Zodiac crime; however, Bill Baker thinks it was, and he worked it. I think there is something there that Bill knows but we don't that may link it.

Fredcasa
Username: Fredcasa

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   

Scott--He could have known that R/L were going to that beach-it was senior ditch day, if he was a classmate he could have known their plans. I understand another couple was supposed to go with them but canceled..Perhaps he found out about that. This was a very isolated place, so I think the killer was familiar with it. It was known to the Lompoc high school students as a party spot..It is possible it was random..but to me it's unlikely. Pre cut rope, cartridge boxes in the shed,(why?) I agree if it was Z he was afraid to talk
about it ever..There may have been a direct link to him at the time..Another puzzle is when Robert freed himself why didn't he try and get the gun away from the killer? Instead they ran--perhaps believing the guy they "knew" wouldn't actually shoot them. I've tried to find out if there was someone in the school rejected by Linda..apparently she and Robert had dated for a long time. It could have been "worship" from afar. Wrecknball--there was a killing in San Diego similiar to this one--called the honeymoon murders..newlyweds shot and killed on the beach.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

This just popped into my head. Perhaps too cavalier an interpretation, but:

Take the 2 "crosshairs" in the Z symbol, stand 'em up on either side of the circle, and you get: 1 0 1. Add it to the zynchro list, anyway.

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   

You could also get 'lol', which would signify Zodiac laughing loudly and mockingly at all who were/are trying to capture him.

Sorry, folks - this Genessee Cream Ale must be getting to my head.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration