Richard Radetich? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Possible Zodiac Victims » All Other Possible Zodiac Victims » Richard Radetich? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   

Here's a fascinating link about this nearly 37 year old murder that Z apparently claimed as his own in his 6-26-1970 letter:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=5388 7

Thanks to Carl for finding this link!

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:19 am:   

I wonder if Joe Wesley Johnson is aware of this. I thought SFPD had along ago solved the Radetich case.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:21 am:   

Well, it only took Carl 25 years to finally produce something meaningful from his "research"...

Rachel
Username: Rachel

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:43 am:   

Hi Guys~

If Zodiac did kill Radetich, which I think I once read some researchers question, does anyone have any thoughts as to why Z referred to him as simply "man" instead of saying I shot a "cop" or "police officer?" Since Radetich was shot in his car, the perp obviously knew he was a policeman. Apologies if this has been discussed...I am having problems linking to the Archived Board.

Thanks~
Rachel

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:48 am:   

I think it is rather striking that the April 20, 1970 letter claims "there is more glory in killing a cop than a cid." He then sends the Dragon card a little over a week later. Radetich was killed on June 19, 1970. The very next letter is the letter claiming he has "shot a man in a parked car." Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. They were looking at Johnson as a suspect. Zodiac may have not have wanted to lose credibility in case they convicted Johnson. Also, the amount of "heat" would likely increase dramatically (or at least one might think so) if he claimed to have killed a cop. You don't see $100,000 rewards being put up some 36 years later for just any murder victim. By not being specific he could keep LE guessing. On the other hand, it is hard to accept that the Zodiac wouldn't be bursting at the seams to announce that he had killed a police officer.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:47 am:   

Well, speculation is that he shot Stine because it was being noised about that he didn't have the moxie to kill a man. So he claims he "shot a man" as a way of laying the speculation to rest. Or, since the police are referred to collectively as "the man," one representative of the class might conceivably be referred to as "a man."

It would be nice to have a police report on the Radetich murder, to see exactly how it was carried out.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:57 am:   

Here's a link to a great story from today's SF Chronicle.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

But investigators at the time ruled out any Zodiac link, in part because the serial killer, who has never been caught or conclusively identified, had used a 9mm handgun in his other crimes.

Now that's the kind of logical, analytical thinking that confirms my faith in the abilities of the San Francisco P.D.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   

Agreed Doug, if they had looked at the information on tnhis site, Z claims to have used a 38, as well as the ammo in this crimes as well as one of the other known vicitims. They even stated it themselves in this article that Z said "he shot a man in a parked car with a 38.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   

He used a .22, a 9mm, and a knife. By knife, by gun, by fire, and by rope. There is nothing to indicate that Zodiac would refrain from using a certain caliber of ammunition.

"No group ever claimed responsibility for killing Radetich."
-but Zodiac may have claimed responsibility. He claimed to have killed a man. Who else died in a parked car from a .38 caliber gunshot at that time?

"The majority of us felt that there was an underlying factor here -- he was killed because someone wanted to kill a cop."
-Zodiac wrote: "there is more glory in killing a cop."

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   

Given (a) Z's apparent claim of responsibility, (b) the murder has never been solved, (c) the murder occurred two days before the summer solstice (see here for relevancy), and (d) the murder appeared to involve a somewhat abstracted desire to kill, I'm inclined to believe Z, in fact, was responsible.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   

At 25 years old at the time of his death Radetich may have been around the same age as Zodiac. If this was a Zodiac killing it would seem to make sense considering Zodiac's antagonization of SFPD in letters where he's always giving himself a number next to SFPD-0.
I've often thought that Zodiac had a specific hate toward SFPD. Maybe a wanna-be cop who didn't make the grade.
Maybe Radetich was targeted because Zodiac knew him. Just for the heck of it if I was investigating this murder I would look into who were Radetich's criminology classmates when he was studying at San Francisco City College in 1966.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   

"According to initial reports, no witnesses saw the predawn shooting or the gunman."

George
Username: George

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   

Of course the Zodiac was the only person in San Francisco who might have cause to shoot a police officer in 1970. Otherwise the city was the serene place. It's a hell of a jump from a cab driver to a cop.

One hallmark of Zodiac actually murdering a police officer would have been a little detail and endless bragging in future letters, in my view. But let's keep adding victims. How about the Santa Rosa series?

Yarbchris

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   

All of these skeptics have finally gotten through to me. It all makes sense. I have been so naive. Of course, Zodiac had no reason to kill a cop. He didn't see any glory in that kind of thing. He could only have killed those five; It's preposterous to think he may have killed more. Its physically impossible for Zodiac to have killed someone and not bragged about it; He liked bragging, not killing. That whole "I shot a man in a parked car" thing wasn't bragging about a murder. He wasn't a serial killer. He was a serial pen pal. The killings were just so he would have new material to write about. Zodiac claimed to have shot a man in a parked car with a .38 (before anyone knew the caliber of bullet that killed Radetich) because he wanted to prove to us naive researchers that he was a liar. There were so many men killed in park cars with .38s in those weeks, he could have meant any number of them. The Zodiac wouldn't have poked fun at the Exorcist movie, its not like he had some kind of sick twisted humor. He always did everything the same way, every single time. He probably didn't even kill Paul Stine. You can get bloody shirts anywhere (just ask Kaufman). Faraday and Jensen were killed over a drug deal. The Ferrin and Mageau incident was some kind of conspiracy gone bad. That was just some kind of weirdo prison escapee committing a robbery at Lake Berryessa. The Zodiac Killer was just a figment of San Francisco's LSD infested imagination. Anyone who thinks differently only serves to exhaust us weary skeptics who have had this whole thing figured out for such a long time.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   

I think you're right there, George: if he had killed a cop, the world would never have heard the end of it. He'd be crowing about it to this very day, or squawking like a catbird on crack cocaine.

Something tells me, too, that he didn't have the nerve to kill a cop. I believe he tempted a confrontation at PH, but that would have been a confrontation calculated to get him killed if it had come to pass--he wouldn't have had to deal with the consequences.

George

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   

Doug, I agree. The Zodiac body count meant more to him than anything else so he would be believed in the way National Enquirer believers believe.

One would also think a reference to Radetich in the probably out of town L.A. Times letter but there is no such hint.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   

Bravo, Yarbchris.

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   

Yarbchris,

Don't let George's argument-by-sarcasm get under your skin... One minor point regarding your post. The caliber of the weapon actually was published in a SF Chronicle article in the days following the murder.

George

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   

A sarcastic response beats an apoplectic one each time and the post most dripping with sarcasm in this thread wasn't authored by me. Your mention, Mike, about the .38 as the murder weapon in the newspaper in the days following is appreciated and I'd also add that most cops carried a .38 caliber weapon (at least in 1970 and in San Francisco) so the caliber would have been an easy guess for the Zodiac to make.

I'd still like to see one reference to Radetich in the "post Radetich" Zodiac letters and I don't mean box scores. Anyone care to objectively take this on?

Oh, and, Mike C., let's dispense with pot and kettle, please. Can't we just agree to disagree?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   

Even if he had mentioned it in a later missive it wouldn't have proven his complicity--he would have needed something to authenticate his claim. And for my part, I'm convinced that if he had really done it, the authentication would have been forthcoming.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   

See my site for the Officer Radetich autopsy report.

Mike I am with you on this one.The method of attack or walking up to a car and suddenly shooting an occupant is not unlike Z's former attack at BRS.
Stine was shot in the head in car(the good Officer was shot in the head also in 1970-see autopsy)as was Faraday.

Even in MM's case,Z said he tried a head shot,but failed because MM was moving about forcefully.

Some have felt that Z imitated an Officer by employing that bright light and rear cut-off technique.Even MM thought it was an Officer at first.FYI

Z did say there was "glory" in killing a cop.
But,like so many details in the Z case there is still an aura of mystery connected to this homicide.
My best guess it was Zodiac,but each poster comes to their own conclusions,which is good;until further light is shed on the case.

George

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   

Exactly Doug. No damning evidence in post Radeitch letters, which may just may be why no law enforcement agency ever officially charged the Zodiac with this crime. I'm not talking about decades-later hunches as a major motion picture nears, but actual physical proof, which of course doesn't exist.

George

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

One question. On Friday, June 19, 1970 would it still be "dark" outside as has been posted. I live at a similar latitude and at 5:30 AM on a June 19, it's hardly "dark."

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   

George, you wrote:

"...most cops carried a .38 caliber weapon (at least in 1970 and in San Francisco) so the caliber would have been an easy guess for the Zodiac to make."

You seem to be implying Radetich was shot with his own weapon; he was not. Perhaps you're thinking of Zelms, who was...

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   

It’s interesting to note that if the Zodiac, in fact, was responsible for Radetich’s murder, then he twice benefited from his murderous deeds being misattributed to a black man.

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   

>" I'd also add that most cops carried a .38 caliber weapon"

So, are you saying Radetich was shot with his own gun, or that he was shot by a cop? What difference does it make what caliber the cops used unless that was the case.

>"no law enforcement agency ever officially charged the Zodiac with this crime."

How can you officially charge Zodiac with a crime if you don't even know ho he is?

>"I live at a similar latitude and at 5:30 AM on a June 19, it's hardly "dark.""

Then why was Radetich using a spotlight?

I am not saying that it is a sure thing Zodiac killed Radetich. I am saying there are some real reasons to consider the possibility.

I love it when someone says let's "agree to disagree." It's a tidy little concession.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   

Mike, I made that same observation years ago. Black males seem to play something of a special role in the Zodiac affair. And of course there's the "shabbly dressed" negro who supposedly saw him in the phone both in Vallejo.

Yarbchris, in my experience "agree to disagree" means that two parties are going around in circles with their arguments, and it's getting tedious. No one is going to "win" the argument here about whether Radetich was the Zodiac's work. There's a list of pros and a list of cons; no more.

George

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:15 am:   

Doug, see what happens when you don't assiduously scour the boards looking for those who have appropriated your "original ideas?" Or perhaps your ego, like that of most people, doesn't require such draconian measures? At any rate, I appreciate your "agree to disagree" observation but my two belligerent stalkers aren't interested. After this post, I'll still try.

Mike, you wrote:

George, you wrote:

"...most cops carried a .38 caliber weapon (at least in 1970 and in San Francisco) so the caliber would have been an easy guess for the Zodiac to make."

You seem to be implying Radetich was shot with his own weapon; he was not. Perhaps you're thinking of Zelms, who was...

Perhaps I was thinking that the caliber of the weapon, .38, was a lucky guess. A .38 in 1970 may have been the most frequently used by criminals on city streets, if not, it was among the most common. The Zodiac flipped a proverbial coin and got lucky in his letter regarding the caliber which felled officer Radetich.

I understand that for one of your theories to work, Radetich must be a Zodiac victim, so I can appreciate your perseverance.

Yarb:

>" I'd also add that most cops carried a .38 caliber weapon"

So, are you saying Radetich was shot with his own gun, or that he was shot by a cop? What difference does it make what caliber the cops used unless that was the case.

Lucky guess by the Zodiac, who could have been referring to anybody. See above.

>"no law enforcement agency ever officially charged the Zodiac with this crime."

How can you officially charge Zodiac with a crime if you don't even know ho he is?

I believe the Paul Stine slaying on 10/11/1969 introduced the Zodiac to the world. The cops knew who the Zodiac was. Now, if you're asking how the known Zodiac can be charged with the Radetich murder, that's a damned good question. :-)

>"I live at a similar latitude and at 5:30 AM on a June 19, it's hardly "dark.""

Then why was Radetich using a spotlight?

Let's see. To improve his vision in the early morning light even though daybreak had already occurred? Kinda like driving in the morning with your lights on for a couple of hours until the sun makes everything vividly visible. Or driving in fog or rain. Or using a flashlight in similar circumstances.

I am not saying that it is a sure thing Zodiac killed Radetich. Neither am I. I just think it unlikely. Why does my opinion bother you so much?
I am saying there are some real reasons to consider the possibility.

Agreed. You've got the caliber and a mulitple killer's solemn word for it.

I love it when someone says let's "agree to disagree." It's a tidy little concession This concession you love almost never works but I figured it was worth a try.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:15 am:   

George, your opinion does not bother me in the least. On the contrary, it seemed you were quite bothered by mine. As for "winning" an argument, that was not my intention. I think issues should be examined from all sides. I have stated the obvious time and again: We have yet to know who the Zodiac is. We may think we know him and what he might do in a certain situation, but until he is identified it is all theory.

As for the phrase "agree to disagree," I'm quite aware of its meaning. In my observation, it is seldom used in that manner. It is used more often as an attempt to silence the other party,in which case it almost never works. I have no idea how the term was used between Mike and George. In my opinion, the term has become cliché and rather meaningless. After all, isn't it a given that we all aren't going to agree?

>"belligerent stalkers?"

I've been sarcastic --perhaps a little more than necessary-- but I don't see where I have been hostile. I am certainly not stalking you. I fail to see where you have been threatened in any manner.

Mike_cole

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:47 am:   

"I understand that for one of your theories to work, Radetich must be a Zodiac victim...."

This is clearly nothing but intentional mischaracterization. Nice George...

Etphoto
Username: Etphoto

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:42 am:   

Thanks for the news link Tom. Interesting case. If I were the investigator in Radetich murder, I would consider Z as a possible suspect. But being an unsolved homicide there are probably a boat load of possible suspects. I see no reason to make Z stand out above all the rest(whoever the rest might be). Why did Z prove so conclusively he killed Stine but only mention Radetich as a man sitting in a parked car?

ET

Davidmm

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:59 am:   

I think that Zodiac only referred to Officer Radetich as "a man sitting in a parked car" to belittle his position as a policeman, like referring to the President as "the man who lives in a white house." If Z was just seizing an opportunity from a newspaper story, as many postulate, again, why wouldn't he have said "Policeman?" He could have said it was a cop whether or not he actually did it, so I don't think that his phrasing eliminates the possibility of his involvement.

As for the question of why he didn't verify it, or send in proof, I think Zodiac must have bolted from the scene asap, if he indeed did shoot the officer. He'd almost gotten caught at the Stein scene, and probably assumed that the police would come swarming immediately if there was a "Blue Man Down." I doubt that notating details or taking trophies would have been forefront in his mind.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:02 am:   

I think this kind of thing on Zodiac's part follows the pattern of the bus shooting and bus bomb threats. Having achieved credibility through his known killings, Zodiac can have some low-risk fun with the authorities. In most cases like this, the police can simply wait for the killer to strike again and make some kind of mistake that will bring his identity to light. In Zodiac's case, he didn't allow this to happen, which is one of the main reasons why he wasn't caught. The threats and boasts are just that: threats and boasts.

Howard_davis

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   

A "white Cadillac" was seen 'speeding away' from the Officer's car.
Johnson drove his girlfriend's car which was a different make and model from the Caddie.FYI

Apparently,the perp just drove up and shot Officer Radetich in the head and sped away.So there was no walk up.

Davidmm

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   

Where did the quote about the white Cadillac come from? The recent newspaper article said that, despite the account that has circulated for years, there were no witnesses at all.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:33 am:   

RYYYYYYUUUUUUUUTE!!

Flashram
Username: Flashram

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:03 am:   

Did Zodiac ever claim the LB attacks other than the "score?"

I think if Z knew the cop, he wouldn't have claimed it.

Etphoto

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:12 am:   

Others will have to chime in, but it is my believe Z claimed he killed someone sitting in a parked car and some on this board made the leap that since Radetich was sitting in a parked car when he was killed . . .

ET

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:56 am:   

Etphoto, that leap was first made by the public and press soon after that particular Zodiac letter arrived back in 1970...

Etphoto

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   

I stand corrected. The public and press made the leap.

ET

Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   

Davidmm,
Accounts indicate that no one SAW the Officer get shot, but residents heard three shots looked out their windows and saw a late model white Cadillac speeding away.

When Officers Martinez and Currie got on scene they were told to,"Get down.They might still be around."
A year later the police said the late model white Cadillac was the 'most promising lead.'There was just no evidence except the three.38 slugs.

From what I can see was that as the detectives/ officers(100's of them!)and ,of course,under great pressure-showed Johnson's photo to some residents and they said they knew he had lived in the area.
The police knew he was wanted for another crime so they placed him on the wanted list.
Later,Johnson saw his picture on a wanted poster and it was the first time he learned of the crime.
He had been in Ohio when the crime took place.FBI agents got him in Dayton and brought him back.He was later released as there was zero evidence that he committed the crime.
It is now considered a full blown cold case.

I believe that whoever shot Officer Radetich followed him as he was patrolling and when he pulled up to write the citation he saw that as his opportunity to drive up quickly and committ that terrible crime.

Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   

Thanks for the further info, Howard!
Any idea if the Cadillac was speeding away in the opposite direction? Like he fired from inside his car into the patrol car? Any indicators about the angle of the bullets that would show if the shooter was on foot or from a seated position?

Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   

Thanks Howard. Your post answered a lot of questions. The Cadillac info is interesting.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   

If Zodiac was writing in wriddles when he said "I shot a man in a parked car with a .38." he may have meant it this way: "I shot a man (with a .38) in a parked car." HE didn't need one such gun; his victim had it.

Most interesting about the time of this murder: 5:25 AM. This fits into my theory: it's one of the times when the hands of the Zodiac watch come together, marking the time of a kill. Like midnight, 6:30, etc.

None of this "proves" it's a Zodiac murder but it sure is zynchronicity...

Davidmm

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:00 am:   

J_eric, the quote in the letter doesn't have to be stretched into a riddle. Officer Radetich was shot with a .38. That fact, according to the recent article, was the reason the police dismissed it as a Zodiac murder. "Because," they said, "The Zodiac usually uses a 9mm." (which is a juvenile approach to detective work, IMO.)

Howard_davis

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   

Zodiac 'usually'used a 9mm,...except for LHR(and if we have a young Z at '63 SB then another use of a .22)and the possible .45 Z was holding at LB!
He was capable and did change weapons!

One bullet went through the Officer's door and the other two went and smashed the driver's windshield striking the Officer's head-which was the intention of the shooter.
So if one slug hit the door this may be an indication the perp was in a car as opposed to walking up to the window.
Certainly ALL three shots would have gone through the windshield-in my view.

The perp may have been quickly pulling up along side of the police vehicle when he fired the first shot which pierced the driver's door then slowed and took better aim and when he saw his shots hit the officer he sped away.
It was a blitz attack.Many reports called it a "sneak attack."

The white car was seen "speeding"away in the same direction as the police car was facing.

Davidmm

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   

THanks for the additional info, Howard!

If the white car was speeding away in the same direction that the police car was facing, did the shooter fire from the driver seat, across the passenger seat, and out the passenger window? It's possible, but that almost suggests a separate driver and shooter being in the white car.

Nonetheless, I'm still coming down on the "Likely Zodiac" side of the equation.

Howard_davis

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   

The police said apparently a car pulled up "alongside"of the Officer's car and opened fire.
Since no one saw the actual shooting it can only be assumed that the perp shot from the driver's seat through the passenger window(based on logistics,etc.- shooting from the driver's side through the passenger window has been done in cases I have researched.Either way it was a deadly encounter!
I hope to post the autopsy and obtain more information.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   

Correct me if I am wrong but, in order for the bullets to "enter" the front windshield, the perps car would have had to be facing the officers car. The last shot could have hit the door as the car drove away.

Bargle
Username: Bargle

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   

Sandy, it would depend on whether there was one person in the car or two. If there was only one, he would almost certainly have to have been driving towards Radetich. If there were two, it's possible that the car stopped a bit ahead of Radetich, someone on the passenger side could fire back through the windshield of R's car. It would be easier if the passenger were left handed. Unlikey perhaps, but not impossible.

Yarbchris

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   

Shots can be fired at an angle, especially with a large window, as found on Cadillacs of that era. I don't see that a shot through the windshield would necessarily indicate the position of the car. It would only take seconds for a driver to glance back while firing through the passenger window or even the rear passenger window. The range of motion for the human arm is wider than one might think.

Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   

Sandy,
Two of the bullets smashed through the driver's side windshield -not the front window.
The third shot went through the driver's door.

Etphoto

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:53 am:   

I always thought the windshield was the front window. You mean driver's side window, not windshield.

ET

Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   

Etphoto,
Good-correct-side window.Sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration