RECIPES !!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Arthur Leigh Allen » RECIPES !!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   

I added more of them as part of my Dec. 20, 2006 update. (Pretty good stuff! Last night we even prepared one for dinner. I'll post more on that later.)

Interesting again how Allen would intentionally misspell words.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   

I'm not sure about the intentionally misspelled words, Tom. Looks like Allen was surely a better speller than Z presented himself to be anyway.

The only obvious mistake I see is his spelling of "watter", which may actually be a typo. Allen does spell "disappears" correctly- a word which Z flubbed in the Bus Bomb letter.

Which delicious entree did you make?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   

What about "marjoram" and "cassrassle"? There are also many more examples.

I don't think watter was a typo, as he did it several times.

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 6:01 am:   

That cassrassle cracks me up...
I think that Allen intended all the misspellings.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 6:11 am:   

Please disregard anything I post after 2 a.m., lol. Marjoram is actually a cooking spice and spelled correctly. I missed "cassrassle" but I still tend to think that this is either unintentional or (more likely) his own little made up word. Why would Allen intentionally misspell words in recipes created for his own use?

Allen certainly had the ABILITY to spell far better than Z's letters would indicate. I think it is safe to say that if Allen was Z, he must have intentionally "dumbed down" his spelling in his Zodiac persona.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:16 am:   

I always assumed "marjoram" was supposed to be "margarine." Still, if you go back to his first recipes, there are numerous intentional misspellings. (Tasty dishes such as "Blaked Chicken Lith Lice.")

By the way, these recipes weren't for his own use; they had been given to a friend.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Those aren't so much misspellings as puns. The guy's got a genuine sense of humor, unlike the Zodiac, who's pretty dry.

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   

Allen mispells brown as "Broan". Zodiac mispelled brunette as "Brownette", in his confession letter to Riverside.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   

Sounds like Allen liked to rename things in a MAD-magazine sort of way. We've been doing it at home for decades, and try to make words/names etc sound either demeaning, rude or just plain silly. For instance, I often refer to Yountville as Gruntville, American Canyon is American Grunion, Livermore is Quivermore, and so on. It's fun & easy to do, especially on long road trips with plenty of roadsigns to read...

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 4:58 am:   

Ed, we do it with newspapers around here. The Pocono Record is the Pocono Wretched, and the Public Opinion is the Pubic Opinion.

"Blaked chicken lith lice" may have been Allen's attempt to make fun of Chinese pronunciation of English words. I remember many Californians referring to fried rice, as " flied lice."

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   

I refer to certain newspapers as the San Francisco Comical, the Eww Yuck Slimes and the San Jose Jerk-Your-Knee News. I've always called the State of the Union address the "Crate of the Onion Address." Seriously, I think Allen was thinking along those lines, in addition to making fun of whoever...

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   

Rush Limbaugh calls the Atlanta Journal-Constitution as the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation. Same idea. I did this all the time with my kids when they were growing up. In fact, we all still do it.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   

So, when Zodiac spells kid "cid," that's somehow different than when Allen spells brown "broan" or eggs "aiggs"?

Sorry guys, but I believe you're being biased against Allen. I mean, I believe Kane sucks as a suspect. However, if someone could show me examples of him intentionally misspelling words, I'd have to admit that he shared that trait with the Zodiac.

But Kane would still suck.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 6:45 am:   

That would definitely be a trait--wordplay and punning. Not necessarily misspelling per se, because Zodiac's intention in that regard was to confuse. But the "cid" reference was, I think, a definite pun, and there are others.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:53 am:   

Regardless, it appears that Art had a sense of humor, unlike Zodiac who was enthralled with hoity toity issues like opera, film, music and PR. Not to mention Literary Criticism and manipulation of the press. This points to Z having some college education, IMO.

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   

I still wonder why Allen claimed it was chicken blood on his knifes after LB, after all the recipes are poultry ones he must have known how easily it was to cause food poisoning from chicken.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration