Metal Box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Arthur Leigh Allen » Metal Box « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bomaye
Username: Bomaye

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   

It has been mentioned on other sites that Allen was seen occasionally carrying a "metal box" that no one was allowed to look into. It was also mentioned that he kept this box at his brother's house in the North Bay.
Does anyone have any information on this "metal box" and/maybe was it ever found?

Ubpclaw
Username: Ubpclaw

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   

I seem to remember this metal box being brought up by yellow book, he thought that Allen stashed it at the bottom of Lake Berryessa and thats why he went diving there. Who knows how much of that is RG's imagination though.

Bomaye

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   

Lol, wow...
Stashing the box on the bottom of the lake - that is wacky, RG was one wacked out guy.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   

If the lake level is down quite a bit, there is a peninsula that extends from Z Island towards Goat Island. That would be a great place to bury something (which would be underwater 99.9% of the time)... there was once a house on that ridge, btw, the foundation of which can still be seen in very dry years...

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   

If I remember right, Bomaye, the strongbox of Allen's that you mention contained some mysterious letters written in code, which were sent to him by a bloke called Joseph Mitten - a patient at Atascadero State Hospital whom Allen struck up a friendship with during the two summers he worked there as a psychiatric technician in 1961-1962. However, I have no further knowledge of the matter - including what happened to the box and its contents - beyond what I have already mentioned.

Incidentally, I have always opined that Allen's buddy Mitten was somebody whom law-enforcement should have investigated further. It strikes me as exceedingly strange that they apparently did not take any steps in that direction.

Etphoto
Username: Etphoto

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:18 am:   

Nachtsider,

What do you mean by "investigated further"? What do you think LE should have done that they didn't? Furthermore, what is you source on just how much LE did when looking at Mitten? Just curious.

ET

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:58 am:   

After Mullanaux talked to Cheney he interviewed Tucker, and Tucker mentioned the box, which was included in the search warrant. Tucker said his wife was talking a ph.sycology course and was interested in the code and looked at it, some of the symbols were similar to zodiacs code. Mullanaux wanter to interview Tucker's wife but he never got around to it. Graysmith probably never talked to Tucker or his wife but elaborated the story to make it more interesting. There have been times during droughts when LB has dried up to the point where the old town of ? shows up. Someone hunting for fishing lures or metal detecting would have found a box.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   

The "Joseph Mitten" story first surfaced due to my e-mail exchange with a guy named Chris Iman. Iman allegedly had friends on the Vallejo police force who told him the real identity of the main suspect from a Zodiac book (Allen). Iman allegedly interviewed Allen, who claimed the Zodiac's codes were the work of an inmate (Mitton) at Atascadero State Hospital. Allegedly Mitton was a killer.

Who knows if any of that was true. I've done searches for Joseph Mitton and found nothing. Maybe the last name is spelled Minton, but I didn't find anything under that spelling either.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   

If Allen's claim was true, which is a big presumption, then how does he fit in the puzzle? Was he friends with the Zodiac? Did he idolize him, and therefore aquire suspicious items deliberately, to share in the thrill? Was he wallowing in the "fun" of knowing more than anyone, while drawing undue attention to himself? Was one responsible for the publicity, while the other did the crimes?

Allen apparently spent much effort to look guilty, or at least suspicious. One must question this "imaginary friend" as being a unlikely confidant or yet another layer of his "I'm-so-mysterious-frosting."

Another "John Mark Carr" or another (pair of) Hillside Stranglers?

If there were two people responsible for the "Zodiac Campaign," there are inconsistencies such as the writing on the car door, which matches the letter handwriting, etc. Plus, if this friend made the Zodiac codes, why would Allen carry them around in a metal box? If they were just being stored, there are much easier and safer ways. If he was using them, then, for what??

Bomaye

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   

Was Edmund Kemper at Atascadero State Hospital at the time ALA claims all this? Edmund Kemper (even though he was younger - so don't start bashing right off the start)1. was a killer 2. was kinda nuts but at the same time had a near genius IQ and would have been involved with the psychiatric dept. (inmate side of things). Just a thought...

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   

Allen worked at Atascadero before Kemper committed his crimes. I think Allen told Tucker the codes were from an insane person at Atascadero that he corresponded with, or something. When Allen was at Atascadero he complained how his mail was read before he got it. I wonder if the code was used in some way to avoid this.

Ray
Username: Ray

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   

One does not need to scuba dive to 300 feet on compressed air to place a metal box gently on the bottom at some strategic location. One only needs a boat and a rock.

Nachtsider

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   

Etphoto, I feel that law-enforcement should have done the following:

(1) conclusively determine whether or not Mitten really existed
(2) immediately track him down to be questioned in the event that he did, concurrently compiling as much background information on him as possible
(3) thoroughly interrogate him with regards to the Zodiac case (especially on his whereabouts during the dates of the murders) and his connection with Arthur Leigh Allen, preferably with the aid of polygraph equipment
(5) expeditiously compare his handwriting, fingerprints, etc. to the Zodiac evidence

Davidmm has provided numerous valid reasons why the above measures ought to have been performed. Absolutely nowhere can I find substantiation that investigators resorted to any of these actions not even after hours of searching the immense and comprehensive bodies of information that dedicated researchers like Tom and Jake Wark have gathered on their respective websites.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   

Nachtsider, I don't believe Allen named Mitten until 1990 or so...and it was to a civilian, not a cop.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   

Jim, I think that's from a certain yellow book. If I remember correctly, "Bob Starr" allegedly showed someone his secret metal box, I believe his sister-in-law. When she expressed interest, he claimed they were the work of an insane person, but didn't offer a name or that they were at Atascadero.

Nachtsider

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:36 am:   

Nevertheless, Tom, Iman could have done something constructive with the results of his interview with Allen - reporting the information to the authorities, for instance. This should have been an easy task for him to accomplish, considering the fact that he had chums within VPD. 1990 was most certainly not too late to pursue this lead.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:26 am:   

For all I know, Iman went to the police with his info.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

Tom,
Some more spelling variations:Mytton/Myttin/Mytten family geneologies.FYI

Etphoto
Username: Etphoto

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:15 am:   

Nachtsider,

So your source that LE hadn't examined Mitten (or however its spelled) as closely as you think they should have is, you couldn't find any documentation that they had? Okay.

ET

Nachtsider

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:49 am:   

Tom, I strongly feel that Iman should be queried further about that one. I shall privately contact you about this issue soon.

Etphoto, the fact that my thorough searching could not find any documentation whatsoever of an investigation into Joseph Mitten strongly suggests that nothing was done - nothing significant, at least. Please bear in mind that I have naught but the utmost faith in Tom and Jake's data-gathering capabilities. The points I present above clearly indicate how closely I think law-enforcement ought to have looked at Mitten. 'Nuff said.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration