Still alive? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Other Zodiac Suspects » Rick Marshall » Still alive? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave
Username: Dave

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   

Anyone know if Marshall is still alive? He'd be 78 now. Anyone know if a DNA sample was ever compared to any of the letters?

Dave

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   

Dave , The only one SFPD did a DNA check on was Allen ,as far as I know. They just don't seem to have the time or the money to do DNA checks on any of the other suspects. I know Howard would love to have B.D. tested,I would like the DNA I gave to them from a glass my suspect drank out of compared to the Z's. I went as far as writing to the Mayor, asking for my evidence back,because Det.Hennesy has given me nothing but a run around. He says Carol has the key to the evidence room,Carol says Henessey is the only one with the key ! Carols ex-partner told me he knows for a fact, that they will never give it back to me. I haven't heard anything about R.Marshall passing on.I am sure if that happens VPD will say : if we just had some more time, we could have proven "he" was the Z lol. I "love" cops, I dislike incompetence.

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:26 am:   

In the event of Marshall's death, someone really should get in touch with whoever is involved in his autopsy and/or burial in order to arrange the preservation of a tissue sample or two from the body for possible future DNA testing.

Greygost
Username: Greygost

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:21 am:   

Federal Law is pretty strict on DNA privacy issues, at least when it comes to samples in DNA databanks. I'm not familiar with California's standards, assuming Mr. Marshall still lives there. DNA testing of dead body samples is pretty much limited to requests from Law Enforcement agencies (assuming the body is under control of the local medical examiner or coroner, which is not always the case in natural deaths), permission of the next of kin, intervention from Public Health agencies (again, think coroner cases) or court order from a judge.

Not that I think he's the Zodiac, but has anyone ever just asked Mr. Marshall for a sample while he's still with us?

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   

It's a little creepy we're sort of anticipating his death. He's a real person. I know its just hypothetical, but imagine if it were you...

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   

Planning for death isn't the most pleasant of activities, but it is a necessity. Marshall is a few years over the life expectancy of U.S males. He was a suspect in the Zodiac case, and we have technology that may prove his innocence, or perhaps even his guilt. A lot of the things we talk about on this board might be considered "creepy." I think it would be even more creepy to avoid the unpleasant tasks that might well serve the public.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   

I know what you mean yarbchris - I just think it doesn't really serve the public when there's nothing really pointing to him as a good suspect, imo

Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   

Sanfran, the last three letters of your last post says it all.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Well of course. Despite some posters belief that they know all....Everything on here is an opinion really

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   

Sanfran, that is very true. Don't think I am incapable of seeing things from your perspective. I just think there are a lot of lost opportunities when it comes to finding the truth.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:21 am:   

Nothing pointing to Marshall? He's probably a much better suspect than most of the others, I'd put him right up there. At least in Marshall's case actual Zodiac detectives had high interest in him, including Narlow. That can't be said of Kane and some of the others. He was very much into old films, lived in the right area, looks like the description, was a ham operator, had teletype equipment, was supposedly in the navy, etc. According to Kelleher, it's very likely Zodiac visited the Mikado production that was going on at the time. No, I'd say he's better than average as far as suspects go.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:38 am:   

I'm at a loss as to why being a ham radio operator is significant. Kaufman harps on that too about Jack Tarrance...

Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:14 am:   

Being a ham radio operator in and of itself is not significant, but there are some very interesting parallels that Z shares with possibly being a ham radio operator.

1) Bus bomb diagram - Z correctly drew jumpers in his schematic diagram. This is not NASA stuff for sure; there are thousands of people that know how to do this. It's not something the average Joe would know to do though. One thing is for sure Z absolutely had to have some rudimentary knowledge of electronics to draw the diagram correctly as he did. There was definitely some level of either electrical or electronic training in his background, no doubt about that. His diagram, while basic and not very realistic, was nevertheless technically correct in theory and how it was wired. The bombs were correctly wired in a parallel circuit. Even novice class hams at that time had to have at least this level of knowledge.

2) Teletype paper. Once again - if it is a fact that any of the Z letters were written on teletype paper (which I have still not been able to really nail down), then this would be another thing would point towards him being a ham operator. Many ham operators at the time communicated not only by Morse and SSB, but also with teletype machines and paper. Supposedly, Marshall had one of these. Marshall was a ham, repaired electronic organs, and also worked for techtronics (oscilloscope mft.)

He could also have the same training if he were a electronic tech in a radio station (Marshall was) or was in the military as a radio operator. There ARE other jobs he could have had which would share these characteristics, ham radio is not the only one.

Dennis has a photo where he shows Jack also drawing a schematic correctly with jumpers. Of course, this by itself doesn't prove that Jack was Zodiac; I am sure he wasn't based on handwriting and accent. It does however reinforce my point - Jack, a ham radio operator, like Z, knew to draw a schematic diagram correctly by using those silly yet important jumpers. The devil is in the details.

I'm not really sure that Z was a ham radio operator; there are things that "suggest" he might be however. I think it's about 50/50. There is no doubt he had electronic/electrical training.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

I agree with Ed. A Ham radio operator is no more significant IMO than a magician. And some of the other stuff...you could be describing my dad or a billion other men of the time.

He's as good a candidate as any I suppose, but as I've stated before - I don't think any of the people listed on this site are the actual zodiac and there really isn't any definitive or even compelling evidence pointing towards any of them.

Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   

Ed didn't say a ham radio operator is no more significant, only that he failed to see it, which is why I explained it.

I also didn't say I really think Marshall is actually the Zodiac. However, you made a blanket statement in which you said "there's nothing really pointing to him as a good suspect" which makes no sense at all as he was investigated and to date I don't believe he was categorically cleared as Allen was. Ken Narlow was very high on Marshall. This shows me that while you easily make blanket statements, you have not researched the suspects very well.

You unfortunately are unable to grasp the significance, probably due to ignorance of the subject, of why Z had a background in electronics. The bus bomb diagram also uses a relay, not something the average Joe or a magician is going to know how to wire up correctly. Apperantly this is something you think should be disregarded. Whatever.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   

I agree that Z had more than just a passing knowledge of electronics and/or electrical devices as evidenced by his dorky bus bomb schematics. And I understand what you're saying about ham radio operators, Kevin. Kaufman thinks this is one of the things that proves his stepfather Jack Tarrance was Z, since knowledge of Morse code is a requirement. What he failed to point out is that such knowledge is not unique to ham radio operators, and that Z never once used Morse code; kinda like how Penn latched onto the radian and Mt D and ignored everything else related to it, Kaufman saw the word "code" and ignored other, far more important facts. I guess I'm looking at it from that perspective, and I can see how some of the evidence is suggestive of a background in ham radio. However, I definitely wouldn't use it as a basis for either including or excluding suspects.

Sanfranguns

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   

Kevin - you're childish sarcasm is cute if you are a 15 year old cheerleader. Spare me your haughty uber-bitchy passive aggression otherwise.

My statements aren't "blanket" - they are my opinions based on the evidence that's laid out or a simple response to something said. The ham radio operator angle has been debated ad nauseum on this and the archived board. As Ed described above - there ain't no ham radio anywhere in the case history except the one running around in your imagination and the suggestion of fourth party people to the case (I'm referring to the "Andy Walker" letter). It is totally possible there are other things I'm not aware of - if there are - share them or point to where people can find them. I don't have a photographic mind and the suggestion that people can't contribute to the conversation here without a detailed understanding of every minute piece of evidence is idiotic and the very thing that keeps people away from interacting at all with this board - which would be sad if that person was someone with information that could be sparked by participating here. I'd rather read a post that needs to be politely corrected than ramblings of ham radios and snuff films by people so overwhelmed with knowledge on the case that they feel the need to sell us their designer theories.

As far as Narlow - that's great that he thought Marshall was a good suspect. That does interest me. It would be great to know why he thought that. In and of itself, it really doesn't say much. Throughout history law enforcement officials have had their pet suspects - Jack the Ripper comes to mind. That could just as easily be a symptom of being so intimately involved in the case that you need to reach a conclusion in your own mind.

And I'd like to just conclude by saying that I'm not trying to be a jerk Kev, but look over your posts on this subject and count the number of times you are making a total leap based on no real evidence. I can't remember (or find via Google) the exact quote, but it says something like - in the absence of evidence usually the obvious is true. That doesn't mean we need to reach definitive conclusions at all here that supports only what seems obvious, but it does suggest to me that we should veer conversations away from wild speculation that goes from A to C by totally circumventing B. Sorry if that's a bit too logical for your tastes

Kevin

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   

Sanfranguns, you're not over it yet?

Saying "there's nothing really pointing to him as a good suspect" was ignorant, why don't you just admit it? You stated it as if it is fact, something which, if you read my posts, I'm not doing. I'm sorry if you didn't like being called on it. At no time did I say that, for a fact, Zodaic is a ham radio operator, only that I see a strong possiblity that he could be based on teletype paper, electronics, and various other things. I do know for a fact that Marshall was a ham operator though. These are some of the reasons Narlow was high on him, it's not just me that saw a possible connection to it. There is no leap of faith here, there is plenty of evidence to suggest the possibility, many other's besides myself have seen and discussed it.

Even if you ignore the ham radio thing, there are other interesting angles regarding Marshall - the silent film thing comes to mind. Yes, he is as good as a suspect as any other here. As I mentioned, I don't think he was cleared.

The funny thing is, I personally have some doubts about Marshall being the Zodiac mostly based on the video I've seen of him responding to questions about it. He just didn't seem like a killer to me, for whatever that's worth. However, I wouldn't rule him out carte blanche like you did.

I'm not even going to bother with your first pararaph other than to say it's a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black. Get over it.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:51 am:   

The physical Description, handwritting, locations of where Marshall resided are definately intruiging and yes, the HAMM radio side of things make it intersting as well. Kevin is right in that Marshall was never discluded, but for some reason truly unknown to most of us, LE lost interest in pursuing Marshall. I think that there are a few other intersting, very circumstantial, tidbits to Marshall, like the ceiling at the theater, where Marshall worked, looking like the Zodiac chart etc.

Ed, lets just clear something up. Who exactly initiated reported years ago that Zodiac is believed to have knowledge in HAMM radio when the Z profile was created? Was the HAMM theory thrown in there after Marshall was developed as a suspect?

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   

I don't recall any real profiles being prepared on Zodiac prior to the late 1970s, other than someone who attempted to explain why Zodiac killed Stine.

If I recall correctly, there are symbols used by HAMMies that are similar to Zodiac's cipher symbols. Or something like that. Or maybe they use teletype paper.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   

TT: this 6-16-1976 report is the earliest mention I know of that links ham radios to Z, but the alleged connection (other than Marshall using one) was never clear, but I do understand what Kevin is getting at. I got this gem from another Zodiologist ca. 1995 and forwarded it to Tom...

Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   

At the time, all hams were required to pass a test that shows they knew Morse code (which has no bearing on anything that I can see), and understand basic electronic theory. There are 5 levels of licenses, each with increased electronics and Morse (faster speed) requirements. In ham radio, there are many methods of communication and hams will operate in the manner that they prefer, which can be SSB, CW (Morse), etc. "Some" ham operators used teletype as a means of communication, but this required a higher level of license which included a much more challenging license procedure. Supposedly Marshall had a teletype machine, but that's according to grayscale. Supposedly, one or some of the letters were written on teletype paper, but once again, that's according to grayscale. What really needs to be nailed down is if that is actually true.

If it can be proven that one of the known Z letters was really written on teletype paper, then it would lean more heavily on a ham operator or someone who worked in a radio station, both of which applied to Marshall. Teletype paper is not common outside of the industry. If none of the letters were written on teletype paper, then the odds of Z being a ham operator drop quite a bit.

The way I understand it, it was another ham operator who turned Marshall in based on suspicious conversation made over the air. The information on this guy is sparse - it seems everyone went with grayscale and focused on Allen to the detriment of others good suspects. I saw in other forums where film bufff friends of Marshall defended him against the accusations, and in the video of him he sure didn't look like a killer to me. Maybe he's a guy who would sit down and talk about it? Is he alive still?

Bomaye
Username: Bomaye

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 8:11 am:   

I remember when people thought BTK was a HAM Operator... lol.
Maybe Jack the Ripper was also a HAM Operator.

Kevin

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   

Uh, don't laugh, the BTK was a ham radio operator, or at least he was at one time: http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolve d/btk/16.html

Sanfranguns

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

I am over it Kevin and I'm not admitting it because there is no strong evidence pointing to him. Period. Over it.
Silent Film interest - again, interesting, but not a strong connection in my opinion.
Look - I'm not trying to fight with you - I actually believe our feelings are more closely aligned and the disagreements at this point seem to be based more an semantics, so I'll just agree to disagree on what constitutes strong evidence. For me, its fingerprints, handwriting, witness testimony, things that place him at the scene of the crime or speak to his actual motivations. Things like ham radio operations and a love of silent films are peripheral and fairly weak because many people also fit in those categories, which was my original point

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   

Back to the original question this thread posed, is Rick Marshall still alive?
On July 21, 2001 Tom Voight reported that he had learned that "Zodiac suspect Rick Marshall is in extremely poor health and deteriorating rapidly at a San Francisco care facility." I haven't seen any update on this story that is now six and a half years old.
Is there or was there any update?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration