The Sandy Thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Other Zodiac Suspects » General Suspect Discussion » The Sandy Thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   

This thread is for Sandy to post her Zodiac-related experiences in.

If you have questions or comments relating to her, please post them here and do not sidetrack other threads.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   

I think that it is possible Z has a medical problem that causes him to shake, and it has gotten worse. That would be a good reason why he hasn't written/printed anything for so long as far as we know. I say "as far as we know" because I believe he has and it has been discounted as fake.I don't believe any of you have seen the note that was left for me back in 87 or 88.I don't know how to insert it in a post or I would. Vallejo Dave has a copy of it perhaps he could show it to you, so you can maybe vote on if it is a fake or not. I have been told by a hand writing expert for Oakland PD,that it is too much like the Zodiacs printing to be his ! SFPD has the original one "still" sitting in the evidence room, and I don't remember if it was in blue ink or not.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   

OK, here's the note that Sandy got in 87 or 88, just so you can compare with your research.

beniciaC:\mysettings\mydocuments\benicia.jpg

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   

I looked at most of the news paper articals on the Zodiac,and found one of them was about a person claiming to be Z in Oklahoma. He had called a radio station and told them he was in Oklahoma because it got too "hot" for him in California.That was in the 70's.My suspect has had lic. plates from other states( I am pretty sure he stole them)one was Arizona I saw twice, Nevada once, Utah more than twice.I believe he travels and has a lot of money to do so.I saw on Tv a true story about a killing (I think it was Ohio in the 80's)of a young boy, who's father is a policeman there. It is believed that it was the killer who wrote words about the killing on the fathers patrol car !I thought it was so Z like.

Sandy

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:00 am:   

Howard ,I spent most of this morning reading the updates and interesting news articals on your site.The writing camparison of Davis's to the Christmas letter sent to the sister of Donna Lass, is very close!That curl on the top of the M is very much like my R.H.as well. It looks like the writer was trying to change his way of writing, because the M near the bottom is so different.I see my letter is on your site as well.I also read the artical on Nancy Bennallack and found the "Modesto" and Pacific Telehone co.connection interesting, reminding me of both K. Johns and Darlene.I need to check out your site more often! The climbing of the perp at Nancy Bennallacks apt,shows a very agile guy, Bruce would be young enough, and so would my R.H.,not so sure about Kane being agile. I would need to read the arrest reports on his breaking and entering.I did find some paperwork on Kane in that area around that time with a "Paradice" leasing company.I tried to picture Allen doing that climb LOL.

Sandy

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:19 am:   

Howard , I read the Doreen Gaul letter again, those doodels driping down, look like tears to me.What do you think the writer was doing with the extra L's typed out of place ? I noticed those L's when Darlenes sister Pam showed me that same letter back about 92. Of course I thought it was a clue, "L" for Larry. You must have given her a copy .

Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   

The hood that was left in my car in Napa at the end of Sept69 or Oct 1st was not sewn.The hood was a simple paper bag with the eyes cut out,I am not sure about the nose, I seem to remember the mouth was just a slit. it was painted black with Ink or shoe polish. It had a very strong bad smell that could have come from it sitting in my car on a hot day. The Z logo could have been sewn or it could have been white paint I am not sure, I know that what ever it was I wouldn't be able to wash off.I thought it was a Halloween costume at the time I found it in my rootbeer/brown car parked at a bar in Napa with the window down. The day was a very warm day. Why someone would put all that stuff in my car, I have no idea.Ed seems to think anyone could have done it! I don't think so, not that soon after the L.B. stabbing. I have yet to find a discription in the news paper at that time,that someone could have copied for the purpose of making me think that the Zodiac put something in my car. It wasn't untill I saw Graysmiths drawing in his book 1987, that I felt for sure that had to be the Lake B. Costume.The guy had to be on drugs if he thought my car was his.Was it put there to try and frame my husband ?My husband was a bartender at the Coronado Inn,he went out with a lot of girls,Darlene could have been one of them ,I just don't know. I do know that my husband was not the Zodiac!

James78 (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   

Sandy that is very interesting. I wonder as well if it was put there by z although it could of been anybody. Not alot of strange things ever happened to me at all, so I could imagine the fear. I was robbed 1 time by a group of men and I was a little drunk but I was scared. I was with a friend and he started mouthing back to them and I told him to shut up. Then they left, thats about the strangest thing that happened to me and I like it that way. Alot of speculation. Thankyou for the story!

Timothy (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   

Sandy, what did you ever do with the costume?

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   

Personally, I have no idea as to how anyone can possibly misjudge a person's height if they have a paper bag or a hood over their heads, even if there is a lot of space between the top of the head and the top of the hood. All one has to do is look at their shoulders and, in the case of Z, where his glasses were positioned relative to his shoulders! Unless one is a giraffe lady from Africa, then it is impossible to look at myself pictured above and guesstimate my height at 5'10" or so.

Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:08 am:   

Timothy, I thought it was a costume for Halloween. The bag I just tossed,the cotton cloth I could still have it in a box somewhere with other material I save to sew with. The other things that were left were a ruler ,compass radius, Ammo can filled with felt tip pens and a few earings,one small girls watch, a Bible that was partly burnt,a dictonary made in 1943 with what looks like blood spots.A green plastic templet of the alphabet.Most of what I had I gave to SFPD. Ed I didn't use boot polish on the bag, I use spray paint. I still have it and none of the paint ran. It was sweat that stung your eyes. Remember Hartnell said that the killers hair was wet looking ? Thats why . Paper can't breathe like cloth will. I think you look very tall with the hood on.I don't think Hartnell was paying much attention to where the eye holes were on the hood, as much as how large the gun pointed at him looked.

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:05 am:   

Thank you for the information Sandy. I am curious to know if maybe the Zodiac was planning on lifting your car to use in a crime? Maybe he intended on doing so but was foiled?

I know you have speculated that perhaps there is connection between he and your husband, with possible victim connection.

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:05 am:   

That was my post above. Sorry, I forgot to enter my name.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   

Sandy, I thought you said it was boot polish for some reason, no matter. It wasn't sweat that stung my eyes, it was the fumes from the spray paint. I only wore it a few minutes and it wasn't particularly hot at that time of day, nor was it hot wearing the paper bag.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   

Sandy- can you give us the date and more description of the Bible? Was it leather, what denomination, etc?

Also the dictionary. What kind was it--Webster's--any further info would be helpful.

Sandy

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   

Ed, The tree that was near the table looked closer than that to me. Are you saying that tree is a new one ?

Sandy

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   

Vallejo Dave,The bible is Catholic, I can see the words Baby Bible & Pryer Book Co. Peoria ILL.Sept.12th 1935. Archbishop of Chicago Mundelein. At the very top of the page is Jewels and the rest of that corner is torn. The size is about two by 1/34 and 1/4 in.thick. The cover was never on but the back has a small part that looks like it was black. The Dictionary is a Funk&Wagnalls.It is called The Modern Dictonary,For home- school-office, it is cloth like.Prepared by Frank H. Vizetelly,Litt.D.,LL.D. In Association with Marion J. Burchard. Funk & WAgnalls Company New York and London 1937.Copyright 1935 and 1937.It is about 7 by 10in, and 3in thick.What looks like blood is two spots in a rusty brown color,three white spots, 9 small black ink looking spots, all on the front cover.There is very small printing on the inside back cover---2t 1.00, SFPD has the ruler from Healds Collage.I wonder how far back they can go to check names. In 68 -69 there were not that many Healds in Calif.

Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   

Sandy, the tree that Z stood behind was chopped down in the 1970's or 80's, near as I can tell. The stump is still there in the center of the island, and I'd guesstimate it's no more than 50 feet away from where Hartnell and Shepard were lying.

Jack: good question. I'm not sure if they found the girls.

Pinball Wizard (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   

Ed, it is very easy to misguesstimate one's hight after being stabbed so many times and then questioned by police while heavily sedated.

The brain cells are not made of stainless steel.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   

Pinball, Thank you ! Howard I put the paper bag on and it made "me" 5in taller. There where 4 corners on that hood that had 4 small cuts which were folded so that it would have rested on the perps shoulders.The black poncho type cape must have held the hood on. Along time ago I read that someone believed the Z was Catholic,because he felt a need to confess. Kane would not fit that profile,but my R.H. would.

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   

Sandy, is R.H. still alive? If so, where does he live now?

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   

PDD, The letter that would be somewhat like drowning would be the Jan.30th Exorcist letter-- He plunged himself into the billowy wave and an echo arose from the suicides grave.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   

Ed, Yes 50 ft sounds much better than 100 to 150 ft. away.Thanks for clearing that up.Knoxville rd was the only rd that I myself took each and every time I went to the lake which was often. For the Z to neal down and write all of that on the car door,and we are sure that he did. I would think that B.H.s car door must not have been facing the street, but rather the slope leading towards the couple.With the killers car parked behind the other car he would have perfect cover from the on coming cars. We know for sure that there were other cars on that road at that time ,because a father and son walking that area said they believed they saw the killer.There were other people at the lake.I think he became more bold each time he killed,and wasn't worried about being caught.

Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   

Sorry, but by looking at the relative distance between the top of the hood, the eyes/glasses and the shoulders, one can tell that there are a number of inches of false height. And if something so obvious can fool someone so easily, would you trust anything else they say since their perceptions are so easily mislead?

Pinball Wizard (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   

Hey Ed, you can look all you want because you have no bloody holes in you. You have not lost like half of your blood. And hopefully you have not been injected by some morphine-base sedative in order to calm the pain out of you.

Some traumatized victims may remember small details from a crime scene but some may not for whatever reason. A crime victim is always a valuable tool in trying to solve a case. At times, some are better than others.

Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   

"Yes, I remember how tall he was, but it's really strange, the top of his head appeared to be about 18 inches or more in height relative to his shoulders..." What, you think that Hartnell did not get a very good look at Z during the several minute conversation before he was stabbed and did not notice anything unusual like a bizarrely tall head? Oh, and Hartnell went on to become a successful lawyer afterwards, so we can safely assume he's fairly sharp and would not have been so easily fooled by several false inches of height (if they in fact existed in the first place).

Sigh... why do I always have to point out the obvious?

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:08 am:   

Eighteen inches; definitely not. Two or three; perhaps--just enough to sow confusion.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:00 am:   

Doug, I meant 18 inches from shoulders to the top of the hood; it would have been a dead giveaway that something was amiss. I just measured the distance from my shoulders to the top of my head, and it's roughly 11 inches. Perhaps an extra inch or two of false height might be possible, but any more and it would be obvious. Either way, what evidence is there other than pure conjecture that there was a few fake inches built into the hood?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:46 am:   

No evidence at all, Ed; but it's interesting speculation.

One thing to bear in mind is that Zodiac was carrying a gun, which I think would have been sufficient to detract attention from his physical characteristics. I vaguely recall the scene in "The Godfather" where the the son is preparing to murder the cop and the rival gang member at a restaurant. He's told by the more experienced guy not to worry about being identified, because everyone's attention will be focused on the gun. It's a salutary point, I believe.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   

The hood was made of cloth, not paper. I don't know who put that costume in Sandy's car, and I can't explain it, but in the LB report, it was specifically stated that the hood was made of cloth (page 1, section 57 and page 23, paragraph 5). Hartnell, who was there and who saw Z and the hood at very close range (Narlow told me that when Hartnell stood up, they were literally eyeball to eyeball, they were that close!), reported that fact.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   

I still like the idea of the mortarboard and gown. In those two articles one has everything necessary to build a costume like the one Zodiac purportedly wore.

Sandy

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:28 am:   

Ed , A paper bag painted black would not look like a "paper" bag to the average person.If you can't explain how these things got put into my car and by whom, then how can you assume it was not the Lake B. costume.In one report the costume is made to sound as if it was one piece,and another it says it was two pieces !The large sun glasses the Z wore that day, made the eyes look as if they were up a inch or two higher than they the eyes were. And yes there is a space of a few inches from the top of the head,but not enough to make one look like a freak! I don't understand why you get "so upset" at the thought of the Zodiac putting the costume in my car ? There was not a picture of that costume in the news paper for someone copy and to think, gee I think I will try and scare Sandy Betts today. I think I will put all of this crazy looking stuff in her husbands car.Maybe she will call the police and they will think her husband is the Zodiac ? And that clothes line she "had" down the side of her house,well it is just like the one I used to tie up those kids at lake B with. For sure that will make a good case ! Zodiac did write about punishing people maybe my husband or myself made him angry? I don't know but it was put in the car in front of a bar, that my husband was drinking at in Napa on his day off, which would have been Monday after noon about 2pm.

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   

Sandy, I have never once doubted your story, nor can I explain it, but the hood was described by the guy who was stabbed by Z and got to see him very, very closely for several minutes as being constructed of cloth, not paper. Maybe Z made a cheap throw-away version to leave in your husband's car to pin the blame on someone at random.

FrenchFry (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:54 am:   

Maybe the hood found in Sandy’s car was a first try that Z deemed not up to the task. The paper bag version could then serve as a pattern for the cloth version that followed. . If he first made the hood with a paper bag, it would explain why the cloth version was square on top.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

Ed, What I am saying is,the hood that was left in my car would "look" just like the rest of the costume which was made of black cotton.The only way to tell the difference would be to touch it. It wasn't stiff looking ,it had wrinkles in it.Believe me I am a pretty good seamstress,making four sharp corners at the top of this hood would take a lot better than I could do.This guy was inovative,clever,and a bit of an artist.I was once followed by a guy who I saw for a few minutes when he stood next to me in a 7-11. I felt a small amount of fear,enough to call the police as he drove across the street and waited for me.he drove away when he sawme make the call. When the police asked me what he looked like ,I said he was about 5-10 light wavey long hair,blue eyes about 30yrs old.The officer asked if he had a beard or a mustache ? I said I didn't remember. The store clerk said that the guy infact did have a goat tee and a mustache.Know one has any idea of what it is like to be under any amount of stress,and how the mind can blank out things you would think would be easy to remember in detail.If you have ever watched on TV, the test given to eye witness's in a mock robbery.And these people knew it was not for real ! They got a different discription from almost all of them!It makes no sense that someone other than the Zodiac put these things in the car,"unless" he was a mind reader, or traveled ahead in time.The chance of someone else knowing that the Z would use a costume "even" close to the one in my car, a day or two before, and use it in a crime in Napa county, is astronomically impossible.And thank you for knowing that I don't make things up.Love ya anyway, Sandy

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   

I am sorry but I didn't answer a post and I can't find it now. Someone wanted my thoughts on the blood spots on the book that was left in my car Sept 69.I can only guess that it "could" be a combination of B.Hartnells and Cecillia Shepards.Or in some cases the perps.If I had the money to get the DNA checked out I sure would, (Berry Scheck where are you?)because if it is theirs,it would be just a matter of time and the case would be solved I would think.I keep it in a safety deposit box, just because I believe it is thee smoking gun.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   

Sandy, I am not very fimiliar with how much DNA testing costs, how much would it run?

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   

I the late 80's I recieved a envelope with a stamp that had a red fire engine on it.I had been dating a oakland fireman at that time.I had never seen a stamp like that,nor have I sense then. What got to me was that someone drew a Z through it.It was in my mail box but it didn't have the usual markings that other letters have through the stamps.I still have the envelope. Has that happend to anyone else, or do I have all the odd luck ?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   

Sandy, you should be impressed. There is a thread named for you!---Send me that stamp, and I will scan and post it.-----I was the one who asked about the blood spots. Save that evidence!

Jack (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   

Sandy,----Are you saying the hood was left in your car before there was any public discription of the hood,etc.?-----Also, who is it you suspect as being Z;---is he still alive,-- and can you list some of the evidence you feel points to him? Thanks!

Dave
Username: Dave

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   

Sandy,

Facinating story! Folks here tell me you are credible. What all did SFPD tell you re: the items you handed in? Did they ever run any tests on them?

Dave

wineman (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   

Sandy, that letter looks very much like Zodiac's handwriting. What was it in reference to? Please tell us more details.

sabre fan (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 4:36 am:   

sandy excellent posts,
the issue with the hood,who would think in a state of sheer horror they would pause for even a few seconds and say to themselves"ummm i think the hood looks a little funny because of the relation of his glasses to the top of the hood"that is reachin'im sorry,but it is.i also like the ideaof the paper hood.it could have been a crude attempt of z's handywork....sandy again awesome and interesting stuff

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:25 am:   

Ok, I have some questions. After reading these posts I am somewhat confused. Sandy, did you ever contact the Police about what was found in your car over 35 years ago? You seem to have very good recollection about the details. Also, why would Zodiac send you a letter? It just so happens he leaves his items in your car then years later sends you a letter? Please clarify.

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

Sandy,---just curious----what was the name of the Napa bar your car was parked by when someone put the hood,etc., in your car? Thanks;--is the man you felt was stalking you still alive and how well did you or your husband know him? Thanks

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   

Sandy,---is it that you don't have time to answer afew questions on your thread or that you just chose not to;----if you don't want to it's OK,--but if you'd just let us know I'd appreciate it, Thanks!

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   

Jack, this thread was just created Saturday afternoon. It's now only Monday. I'm sure Sandy will answer when she gets the chance.

James78 (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   

That letter doesn't look like the zodiac's. It looks like a forge.

Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   

The writing definitely has some similarities, but check out the cursive "d"... while it's very similar, the author of the letter failed to incline it sharply to the right, such as in the Stine Letter; that is one of the reasons Andrea McNichol discounted the 4-24-1978 letter as a fake (Handwriting Analysis: Putting It to Work for You, pp. 88-90). Whoever sent it to Sandy made a good effort, but not good enough.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 8:09 am:   

Sandy's letter looks to me like someone's notes; something someone wrote down while listening to a radio program or television show about the Zodiac.

Curious Cat (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 9:09 am:   

In her posts Sandy indicated that this letter was put by someone in her mail box sometime either in 1987 or 1988. However, this letter is dated 1-7-85. Why would anyone date a letter as such and then wait for so long to mail it? If sandy can not remember when she received this letter, then that is something to look at too?

Did Sandy report this letter incident to police immediately? If she did then she can always get a copy of that police report to refresh her memory. If she did not then what was her excuse for not doing so?

Also, in her post of May 3, 2006, to Timothy, Sandy wrote: "a dictonary made in 1943 with what looks like blood spots." However, in her post of May 5, 2006, to Vallejo Dave, Sandy wrote: " The Dictionary is a Funk&Wagnalls.It is called The Modern Dictonary,For home- school-office, it is cloth like.Prepared by Frank H. Vizetelly,Litt.D.,LL.D. In Association with Marion J. Burchard. Funk & WAgnalls Company New York and London 1937.Copyright 1935 and 1937.It is about 7 by 10in, and 3in thick.What looks like blood is two spots in a rusty brown color ..." Where did this 1943 date come from for a book that is copyrighted 1935 and 1937? Can Sandy explain her 1943 date?

Did Sandy immediately report the hood incident to the police? If she did, when? And if she did not why not?

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

The 1-7-85 date refers to a show called "People Are Talking" that was broadcast on that date.

Jbheath
Username: Jbheath

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   

Ed:
I also checked the letter against the Stine letter and I found that the "M" and "T" are similar also. And you know I wonder if Kathleen Johns was missing a bible, her car was burned? HMMM.And Johns reported that the man she was riding with had alot of clothing in his car, why not watches too. Im going to re-read the johns report.

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   

Thank you, Ed. Although I do not agree with your over all Z stand, I still think that your findings at times can be labeled, "priceless."

Keep up the hunt.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   

Sandy-This is your life-LOL----the 1943 date was probably a reissue of the original 35 and 37 edition of the dictionary.

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   

Is there another section on Sandy? I'm a little confused as to what her connection is to Zodiac. With all these strange situatons with the hood & letters, well I'm a little stumped. I don't see any facts at all!

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   

Sandy dated Howard "Buzz" Gordon, a Vallejo cop who had an affair with Darlene Ferrin (which she discovered after reading the yellow book). She also appears in the BRS report.

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   

Sandy,
Other than websearching, which I have tried, I have no idea how to find out about the story of somebody calling a radio talk show in Oklahoma and claiming to be Zodiac. I have never heard of the rumor except on this board. I do not recall any news stories about it. Now I did live out of Oklahoma from '75 to 78 so if it happened then it could have been in the papers and I missed it.
One interesting thing, an Oklahoma connection with Zodiac is not so far fetched as it might sound. The tales of many 'Okies' moving to CA during the great depression are true, and lots of people have relatives between the 2 states (me included). When I worked at a state hospital in OK from late '78 to late '84 we often had patients admitted who had once been hospitalized in CA! For some reason, most of them seem to have been treated in Camarillo State Hospital!

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

Sandy,----on another thread today you said you've been interested in the case since '68 "after being followed by a man I believe to be the Z".----Could you tell us who that man is and why you believe him to be the Z?----Thanks;----we're all holding our collective breathe here!

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   

Yes! We have to tie some of these stories together. By the way, do you still have that letter? Has it been check for prints, DNA, etc?

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

Hello all,Tom is right I have not had much time to read the board and give you answers. I still have a very busy life in spite of being bothered by some kook who just happens to be a Z suspect.This week I went to vallejo's Hogan High to do some research,and to Sacramento as well. So now I will try to give you answers to your questions.Anonymous -I have heard it would cost hundreds.Napa PD wants the FBI to have it done,and has asked me to wait untill they have the time to work on the Z case.Vallejo Dave, I will send you the stamp and a few other things. Jack- About the hood,yes it was put there before the discription was ever known.If I would have seen a discription like that in the Napa paper,I would have known for sure it wasn't a Halloween costume,and would have taken it to Napa PD.Dave - The police must be great poker players, Det. Deasey just said thank you. He was polite but I felt he was tired of the case and all the people who thought they knew who the Zodiac was or is.He never gave me a evidence number so I still can't get what I gave him.As far as I know he just put it somewhere and never tested it.Wineman - I didn't know for sure that it was indeed the Lake B. outfit,untill I saw Graysmiths drawing in his 87 book. After recieving the Z book I started being bothered almost every day by the man in my picture. That is how I was able to take his picture.I went to the police in Vallejo, S.F., Napa, and here where I live. They give you about 5 min of their time, in that time I am very sure they think you are a nut case!The more I told the nuttier I sounded.Napa PD a few years ago now were the only PD that I think believed me. Lt Banniduchi(sorry about the spelling)works on the case when he has time and reads Toms board.He saw the costume copy and is very interested what I had to say.Wineman - He didn't wait yrs to do things and send me stuff, this started in 68 and is still going on. The letter/note was not sent to me, he gave it to my freind who worked at Lyons in Antioch sometime in 88 or 89.He told her he wanted to help me catch the Zodiac LOL.He told her that this note would help me.When I looked at the note I didn't think it could be from the Z himself. I just looked at the heading saw the R.G.name and the book name .I thought the man didn't know I had read the book, and was telling me to get it. I just put the note in my purse and forgot about it. I have many purses,that one got put away for a yr or so. When I went to use it again I found the note still inside and I took another look at it.At first I thought it looked like my own hand printing !I knew I didn't write it, then I saw how much it looked like the Z's. I gave it to SFPD,and made a copy of it just incase they lost it. I made one enlarged one to see if it was a copy of the Z's.I could see that who ever wrote it did it in a hurry,not like someone tracing the letters slowly. Vallejo Dave has that copy also.It was given to my DA boyfriend to have his print guy check it out. I was told it was too much like the Zodiacs to be his ! Jack- The bar that my car was parked at was called the "Soscoll House" (Not the correct spelling)it was next to the high way,not far from the St.Hospital in Napa.I didn't know the person who left it in my car, and I don't think my husband did either. Neither of us remember meeting this man.He just put me on his list I guess ?I am sending Vallejo Dave a card that was left for me in 68 or 69,it is like a love letter,and at the end it says: Fighting the urge to add- non plus. He signd it More than just friends.Curious cat- V.Dave gave you the answer about the date.My other answer to your question about the hood is in another post above .Jbheath - The bible could not be from K.Johns, her interesting ride was March 70. The hood was found in my car the afternoon of Sept 29th 69.Wineman - The letter/note was given to SFPD.I doubt they did anything with it.Deasy told me that he was expecting two people who also believe they knew who the Z is. They were coming in as soon as I left he said.For all I know he just brushed it off his desk and said something like : Next ! Jack I will get to your answer later today. I have to get ready for a lunch date at 11 am.

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 9:53 am:   

Sandy,---If Z put that hood in your car it is haunting for me to think Z could have been that close to CS as I believe she died around 3 or 4p.m. on that same Monday afternoon when you found the hood in your car around 2p.m.! Why would Z be just a couple of blocks away at that time? He would have known that both LB victims had survived the attack;--was was he planning something or monitoring their condition at the hospital? Were there any strange phone calls coming into the hospital that afternoon asking about their condition?---Gives me the creeps tp think Z may have been just blocks away at the very moment CS passed away.

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   

Sandy, this "person" still contacts you to this very day? You have a photo of him? Has he ever called or spoken to you?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   

Sandy, thanks for all your volunteer work, and visiting Hogan High. Could you post the names of those 2 plays that were playing at Hogan in the fall/winter of 68, and who was the director?

When you went to LB for leisure time, which beaches or areas did you frequent?

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   

Jack,The bar was more than a few blocks away from C.S. My guess would be 2 1/2 to 3 miles. I am sure Ed will take the drive he is a stickler for that kind of stuff lol.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   

Wineman, Yes he is still alive as well as a few of his so called friends. Yes I have talked with him,and I have his voice on tape.Most of the information about what has happend to me is in the archives on this board. His pictures that I took on Aug 8th or 9th 1990 it was a friday at 6:30pm Howard has the picture on his site as well as Ryan O's site. You know the strangest thing about this picture, is it has been posted for a few yrs now and only one person said he saw this man in Vallejo in the late 80s ! The man himself has never asked them to remove it. The person who saw this man was a young boy cutting school. He went into Bobs Big Boy ( no longer called that). The Boy had the Robt Graysmith Zodiac book paper back. A older man spoke to the boy and asked him how he liked the book ? Then the man said he was a fan of the Zodiacs ! The boy thought the man was just trying to be funny. The old man and the boy met a few times over that week.The next time the boy went in to BBBoy,a waitress said the man had left something for him in a paper bag. The boy looked inthe bag and saw that it was another yellow Z book just like the one he was reading.He picked it up and on the inside cover was- I thought you might like a autograph copy- it was signed "The Zodiac" and it had his logo as well. The boy still thought the man was playing games with him,untill he found his picture on either Howards or Ryans site. The boy and I have emailed each other he has discribed the voice, his eyes,and the car he was driving at the time.He lost the book in his many moves,maybe someone will find it some day in a used book store ?

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   

Oklahoma Mike,I found it at the library looking at the chronicals on Zodiac. It listed all of storys printed in the papers and mags.and the dates they appeared, even the page number.I have stacks of information, as soon as I see it again I will give you the date it happend.

SF Nite Rider (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   

Bobs Big Boy at the corner of Broadway and Sereno Dr. Now it is a chinese restaurant!

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   

Vallejo Dave, The directors were Mrs.Anita Hanley and Maureen Gaul in 68 and 69. In 68 the play was "The Whole Town is Talking" playing on Dec.1st and 2nd 68. Not long after that Z struck and the whole town was talking ! In 69 the play was Masque and Slipper. Zodiac wore his hood for the first time (masque) ? Under activities was written : A time to laugh,love,toil with a will, for someday the hands of the clock will stand still. Dave the place at lake B. that I went the most was Spanish Flats and Montecello dam.I have mailed you some interesting stuff.One has something about the hood standing stiff on the killers shoulders ! Another is a picture of a man in a cloth hood sent to Pam H., big "difference" you can see the shape of the top of the mans head, which would be visible in any cloth hood. Unless ofcourse the mans head is flat lol.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   

Jack, It started as far as I can tell in 68, it could have been sooner and I didn't make any connection. In 68 I worked as a cocktail waitress at Flamingo Joe's on Springs road Vallejo. I got of work early about 12:30 and drove to the Melody club to pick up my pay check.I stayed for a few minutes talking to some guys from Richmond who I knew. They walked me outside to my car ,it didn't start. I asked them to look under my hood and check my coil wire, ( my dad was a machanic so I knew about cars)it was not just loose it was gone ! The guys stole one out of another car and I went on my way. I felt that someone was following me, I knew I had to loose them before I got home.I thought I had lost the person but to be sure I turned off my lights. I was going so fast I had to turn down the next block. As I came closer to my home, I saw a man in a car with his lights still on ,parked across the street from my house. He was looking towards my drive way when I pulled up next to him, facing the opposite direction.That put me very close to his face.He didn't see me untill it was too late,when he saw me he twisted his face up like some insane person ! I knew better than to try and make a run for my front door. I kept on going back towards town where I found two cops in cars talking . I was telling them what happend that I was followed from Vallejo. As I talked I spotted the man in a mid sized light brown car, crossing the high way,going towards a all night restaurant. I pointed at him as he was looking at me. One of the officers said to the other: Joe you go and check him out, I will follow her home. That man is the man who still plays games with me. It would take me about 7 hrs to tell my whole story, but I can tell you this ,the man in my picture was ID'd by Vallejo PD Conway or Conroy as Larry Kane from Lake Tahoe. I was one of many who picked his face out of a picture line up as Larry Kane. What the connection is between Kane and the man I had followed outside of my work in 88 who is R.Hernandez, I have no idea. I have seen the two of them together only once.Larry Kane just happens to be a Z suspect.No one that I know of has ever checked this R.Hernandez for prints or dna. I haven't found any criminal records or military records on R.H. But Kane has it all.It seems that another poster had a run in with my suspect.She has emailed me and gave me the same discription of Kane. She was another lucky one that got away many yrs ago!

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   

S.F.Nite Rider, Yes that is the place ! Did you eat there ? If so how is the food,I love Chinese food.

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   

Sandy,

Nope, never ate there before. I always preferred the China Barn for my chinese food.

Flamingo Joes? Lincoln Rd. East and Florida St. Nice topless bar!
Melody Lounge? Sonoma Blvd. between Alabama St. and Louisiana Street. Another nice topless bar!
Later became the practice place for Confunkshon, a vjo based disco group. Did you ever work at Gold Fingers also on sonoma blvd.?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   

Hey-- I never had chinese food before I came to Vallejo. We hit a place on the way out to the Solano County Fairgrounds that was my first experience, and it was good! This was the era about the time that chinese food swept the nation. They didn't have it back EAST at that time!

Flamingo Joe's was off Springs Road--I was there!
SF--Did you like Jack-in-the-Box, Chicken Delight, and IHOP?--and did you go to any bars that were not topless?--LOL

Tom_voigt

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   

This thread is about Sandy's experiences. Perhaps you two can e-mail each other instead.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   

S.F.Nite Rider, The Melody wasn't topless. We had top named entertainment there, like The Rightous Bros. Someone slipped something into my drink one night while I was working, and I was taken to the hospital.What ever it was caused a slight stroke and I was out for 3 days! I never left my glass at my station ever again.

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   

Sandy, what is Howards site so I can have a look at this photo? I'll check the archives to read more about it. You said you have the man on tape?What did he say? What was his voice like? Has he called you many times? Thanks!

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:56 am:   

In Sandy's post made on 5-13-2006, she wrote: "In the late 80's I recieved a envelope with a stamp that had a red fire engine on it ... It was in my mail box but it didn't have the usual markings that other letters have through the stamps.I still have the envelope."

Sandy, what was inside that envelope with a fire engine stamp on it? There is no record to show that Z had ever mailed an empty envelope with some stamp on it. Did you report this incident immediately to the police?

In another post made on 5-20-2006, she wrote: "The letter/note was not sent to me, he gave it to my freind who worked at Lyons in Antioch sometime in 88 or 89.He told her he wanted to help me catch the Zodiac LOL.He told her that this note would help me ... I just put the note in my purse and forgot about it. I have many purses,that one got put away for a yr or so ... I gave it to SFPD,and made a copy of it just incase they lost it."

As I understand it now, it took Sandy at least about a year or so to give the original letter to SFPD. Did SFPD give Sandy a receipt? From my personal experience, I know this much that a receipt will only be given out only if someone insists upon it. After waiting for about a year to report a suspected Z note, is it any wonder that Deasy did not take Sandy and her alleged Z note seriously just on appearance? The note could still be declared a serious Z finding.

I also want to know how long did it take for Sandy to report her discovery of hood and other items in her car to the police? I also want to know if Sandy had kept a set of ID cards and credit cards in each purse she owned back then so that whenever she needed to put one away for a year or so then she could simply use another purse with similar kinds of contents without requiring her to transfer the contents of one purse to another every time she decided to switch her purse?

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   

VD, only Sandy Betts can make or brake her very own possible Z case. If you look at every Z case very carefully, you can notice that each one is very unique in its own ways.

The best example that I can give you is the Zodiac's kidnapping of Kathleen Johns and her baby. Some doubted it that it was a Zodiac case at all. Some thought that whoever did it was just trying to target KJ. But, as far as I can remember, no one tried to consider the possibility that KJ's kidnapper was actually after KJ's baby.

Unfortunately, KJ was not able to make her potential Z case. However, let us hope that Sandy Betts can do better in this day and age.

nick777 (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   

Hello Sandy,are you any relation to Dicky Betts,guitarist for "The Allman Brothers Band"? If I could arrest "Kane" right now I would,even if he turns out not to be involved with the Zodiac Killer cases he should have been prosecuted as a stalker,at the very least.If he ever contacts you again,even in passing,a drive by,letters,anything,call the local P.D.quickly,if they don`t listen contact me at nick777@att.net.The letter could be authentic,it looks like Z`s tortured scrawl.The statute of limitations has run on most of your encounters with Kane.

armchairpi (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   

sandy, howard's sight is zodiacmurders.com right? i can't find the pic of your stalker.... link anyone?

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   

Wineman, Howards site is the Zodiac/manson connection. The other site is Zodiac Vortex .Tom has links to these sites. Yes I do have him on tape, DOJ told me that they would arrest me if I taped him ! I knew that if he called and left word on my phone recorder that would be ok. Well the one that SFPD has, the man says: This is your secret admirer, sorry I missed you. Don't worry , we will get together soon. Bye - Bye to you to ba-by-. Another call which I wish I never picked up was : I like your voice,(then heavy breathing) I want your . I picked up the phone he then hung up. The other call when he says "sorry I missed you", I was shot at through my bedroom window and he did just miss my head. Or he was talking about 3 shots fired inside the caldacot tunnel at 1pm in Nov, 3 days after Veterans day. I had chassed him 3 days before, and then thought how stupid I was for doing that! None of the shots hit my car or me,I think he was just warning me never follow him again. I got the point. I did make a police report as soon as I saw a policeman. His voice changes from almost normal to a deep taunting sound. He talks slowly and enunciates every word.Almost as if it hurts to talk. I can understand why Harnell said it was like a drawl but not a southern drawl.He spoke to me when he came in dressed in a womans dress. I thought he was a woman but a large one.He also spoke to me when I took his drink order.A few minutes later he stood next to me to change the order.By then I knew who he was, he came up behind me and touched my shoulder, I screamed so loud !He didn't even flench. He looked as if he enjoyed the scream. He then said to me very "slowly" and in a much deeper voice than the one he used when he orderd the drink. He said: I - am - very - sorry - if -I fright - ened - you.( My hart dropped down to my feet). This was the night that my friend followed him outside to get me the plate number- 1EEJ927. Eight months later my friend was stabbed disemboweled and left for dead in Oakland on my birthday.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   

curious cat, There was a letter in that envelope nothing that looked like a Z letter.The envelope had double postage. You must be joking when you ask if I reported that to the police ? I don't run to the police with silly things like that.I save it for when he is in my yard, or shoots at me. You must be a male or you would know that women take out only the important things in a purse,( like a wallet, money and lipstick) when they are in a hurry for a date. I took the note in as soon as I realized that it looked like z printing.I don't like to repeat everything that I have told before,so go back to the archives and see if you can understand what I have said .If you still don't get it, then I am sorry.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   

Nick777, I wish I was related to Dicky Betts, but sorry no. I have called the police here and told them about this guy. I have been told to document everything. They said that they can't do anything about him following me(that was back around 93). The officer that I spoke to said he had never heard of a stalking law ! I do have a case number,and I get traps on my phone when he bothers me.I have cameras and monitors around my home. I am a very good shot (he knows this)and I will shoot, not make a threat to shoot. One night when he was in my back yard, I called the police. He was seen driving away from my home by the back up officer. That officer said that when he is called for back up, he can't turn around and chase the suspect,he has to proceed to the other officer. From that night on I do what I have to do,if it means going after him myself.Kane did a drive by about 4 months ago.He no longer will talk to me on the phone,he just stays on the line for a minute or two then hangs up.He just wants me to know he is still around. Thanks for your nice post, I will email you.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   

Armchairpi, I will see if I can get you the link. The other site is zodiac vortex.

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   

Armchair, Go to the top of this page click on zodiackiller message board,then to zodiackiller,com updated April 13 2006. click on the "updated". Scroll down on the left side ,you will see zodiac links.Then the "zodiac/manson connection" that is the site.If that wont do it ,I will snail male you his picture,I have a few of them.

armchairpi (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   

sandy, thanks for all the effort! i've found the "zodiac/manson connection" site, but am not finding the pic within it. do you know where on zodiac/manson to look? thanks!

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

Sandy, I would really like to see your suspect in person sometime, to see if he looks like what I remember. It literally makes my blood run cold to think that man might still be around. Somehow I figured he must have died years ago.

Nightshade (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   

Sorry. That was I who posted above.

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 9:09 am:   

Sandy, thanks for all your time & info. Now do you think this guy is actually the Zodiac?

Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   

Wineman,You bet I do !!! Others who have ran into him are also believers.

Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   

Armchairpi, You are right it has changed. But I did go back to the link for Zodiac Vortex and Kanes pictures are still there. Click on suspects to the left of the Z logo on the front page of the site. Then you will see names of suspects, click on Larry Kane's name. Ryan Olesin is the web host ,he has many pictures of my suspect there. I will check with Howard to see if he has those pictures some place on his new site.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   

Well why on God's green earth is that piece of garbage still floatin around? For cryin out loud
Sandy, Tom, Ed, go get him!!!!

Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   

Nightshade, Anytime you would like to see this guy in person, just let me know. So far I haven't found anyone who has the wavehoes (not the right spanish spelling) to go with me to see this guy ! I would love to talk to him in person with a back up besides my two friends Smith and Wesson lol.

Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   

Anonymous, It will take law enforcement to do that, and they are too busy with all the crimes that are going on today,to spend time on a very cold case like the Zodiac's. The only way they would go after him is if he came out from under his mothers skirt, and sent another note with proof,that he is still around. And I am very sure he is too afraid to do that now, with all the new technology we now have ! BTK tried it and was caught, Zodiac isn't as smart as BTK, so for sure he would be caught as well.He is a coward after all.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   

Ok, here's what you do then! Go find him at nearest water hole, Tom you knock him over the head with your DVD, Ed you explain to the patrons who he could be, (short version please!) and while he's down, Sandy jab him with a syringe and draw some blood. Take the blood by private limo (on Tom)to the nearest FBI headquarters to run a DNA analysis. I'm certain that all the PD's have the collected evidence from the 60's & 70's and could run a comparison. Sandy, remember with BTK the evidence from the Otero's was matched to Rader after all those years.

Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   

Anonymous, Yes after all those yrs.But they would not have made that match if they didn't get a very good tip as to who he was. I believe the police do have the Z's DNA,what is missing is the real Z to compare it to. I have my suspects DNA,from envelopes he has sent to me (along with notes) I just don't have the money to get it compared with what the police have. I would like to start with what looks like blood drops on the book that was left in my car Sept 69,and go from there. I have kept it at a bank in a safety dep.box to keep it from degrading.

(Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   

Sandy, why do you suppose you were a chosen one? Are there victims that you were acquainted with? Did you ever diss this guy when you were a waitress?
I think you should contact Maury Povich to cover the costs of DNA testing. I'd bet he'd do it!

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   

Sandy,

Zodiac isn't as smart as BTK? But just remember,BTK is behind bars and well, the Zodiac is still roaming the earth at will! I think he may be just a tad bit smarter....IMO!

Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   

Rader is an idiot. He let his ego get in the way, and that's why he got caught. Z was above average intelligence, but he knew he was pushing it in PH.

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   

Sandy, this is unbelievable that this guy is still out there...Zodiac or not! I mean who in the hell is this guy? People like this should be locked up, just a complete nut. Anyway, if this guy could be Z the police had better have a closer look. Tom & Ed any thoughts?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   

Let's continue this discussion here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration