Diggers/BC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Other Zodiac Suspects » All Other Zodiac Suspects » Diggers/BC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   

I received Muskogee's Mt. Diablo keychain in the mail on a day off from work with much too much free time on my hands. The keychain is wonderful but it, unfortunately, led to this hypothesis relating to Z's signature symbol, the Mt. Diablo map, the "gullwing" symbol in the Halloween card and the pictogram at the end of the BusBomb letter.

Zdiagram

I superimposed the Halloween card symbol with Z's own symbol and then merely "connected the dots" along the horizontal axis and joining at the vertical axis to form a roughly equilateral triangle. A quick glance at Z's Phillips 66 map shows that Mt. Diablo, like any mountain on most road maps is represented by a triangle at the center of his symbol. The angular measure of this triangle representing Mt. Diablo is difficult to determine precisely but it is very close to 57.29577951 degrees or (everyone say it together...) A RADIAN (an equilateral triangle would have an angle of 60 degrees).

I then superimposed Z's BusBomb letter "pictogram" with X's surrounding the symbol at certain 30 degree increments and the "watchface numbers" from the Mt. Diablo map. I thought I had discovered this idea myself many months back, only to find that Ed Neil and Howard (and probably others) had already discovered that the x's can be aligned to match the months of Z's killings, as mentioned in the Dripping Pen card (DES JULY AUG SEPT OCT =7). It, of course, includes August, which is open to speculation and possibly just another example of Z intentionally keeping everyone guessing.

I do believe that his identifying months on the perimeter of his symbol is strong evidence that Z's symbol had a deeper meaning than just a "bullseye" or watch representation. Z is apparently using it to represent time in several different ways and I think he was clearly aware of how this can also represent the astrological Zodiac, which is essentially just another way of dividing the calendar year.

So... where have I seen this diagram before? The triangle in the center of the cross-hair symbol reminded me of this mandala form which I've posted before:

http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/images/d68_01_l.jpg

It is the cover of the Diggers last publication which was mass-printed and given out for free by the Diggers in the summer of 1968.

http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/dp_memo.html

One glance through the Diggers Papers will show that the group had a rather radical anarchist agenda along with some serious hatred for "straight society" and police in particular. Their list of "brothers and sisters whose work is represented in this document" includes many influential SF counterculture figures as well as folks like Fidel Castro, Malcolm X and George Metesky (the New York City "Mad Bomber"). It is difficult to say who was actually a part of this group and who were merely spiritual/intellectual influences since the Diggers were very secretive about membership.

The Diggers, by the way, are credited with coining the phrase "Do your own thing", which later became part of the everyday lexicon of hippies and the outside world. Z, by my count, mentions or threatens to "Do my thing" three separate times in his letters. The reverse swastika symbol, with the arms "folded" opposite of the Nazi swastika, is the Hopi Running Man Symbol, one of many derivations of the archetypal cross/circle combination used by Z. Please take a look at the second diagram and tell me whether Z was not at least influenced by this symbol/mandala...

DiggerZ

The bottom stroke of the "F" is shorter, of course, because of the smaller arc of the inner circle. The four dots align PERFECTLY with the perimeter of the outside triangle.

So... if correct, who would be familiar with this mandala and use it in their own symbolism? I suppose it could be any one of the 30,000 or so people who received this free publication in August 1968 (months before Faraday & Jensen were killed). It could be someone who was influenced by the Digger philosophy (Bruce Davis comes to mind...) or someone like Ted Kaczynski, who certainly would have admired some of their ideas.

I will make a case here for consideration of BC, who I'm convinced is likely "Anonymous" (a name for one of his "alter personalities") at the end of the Diggers' list of influences. The Digger agenda fits everything that BC believed in (anti-establishment, anti-police, anti-military, eliminating attachment to personal property etc.). His two best friends from Wichita, Michael McClure and Dave Haselwood, as well as his best friend's husband, Wally Berman, are among the Digger "brothers & sisters". BC, by this time, had stopped signing or taking credit for any of his own artwork.

I believe that BC may well have the been the artist who created both the front cover mandala and this Diggers Mandala on page 13:

http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/images/d68_13_l.jpg

The mandala is very reminiscent of other BC works from the period and BC worked primarily on similar geometric mandalas from 1965-1967 before disappearing from the art world and society from 1967-1971. I've posted before some quotes from BC about his being unable to control different "personalities" by the late 1960s and working at menial jobs.

Here's a 1966 picture of BC looking at the world through Zynchronicitous glasses and a photo taken of him by Larry Keenan through a similar lense:

http://www.juliebakerfineart.com/artists/smith/3141-019.jpg
http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/keenan/beatgeneration/1965/16b.jpg

I have no doubt that BC created this mandala for the Oct. 1, 1966 Acid Test Festival at SF State University, basing it on other mandala work he created in 1966:

http://www.lysergia.com/MerryPranksters/SFState1966Oct1_flier.jpg
http://www.artnet.com/artwork_images_618_25314t_Bruce-Conner.jpg

Can anyone tell me this writing is not extremely similar to Z's? The sample is small but consistent with other small samples of BC's printing I've seen. Compare the "Sept & Oct" in this letter http://www.zodiackiller.com/340Card.html or any other letter sample.

Bruce's close friend and fellow beat artist, Jay DeFeo, spent years working on another Zynchronicitous painting/sculpture originally entitled The Death Rose in her apartment on Fillmore St. from 1958-1966.

http://thegalleriesatmoore.org/publications/defeocl.shtml

BC and several of the "Digger brothers" revered this painting and helped her to remove it, eventually to wind up at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1969. BC actually filmed the removal of the The Rose, producing a movie about it entitled The White Rose in 1967. BC recently donated his correspondences with Jay DeFeo (many in the form of "cryptic messages and collaged postcards") to the Bancroft Library at Berkeley but they are, unfortunately, sealed until 2015.

http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/events/bancroftiana/112/defeo.html

For the record, I'm still only stating a case that this guy should be investigated further as a person of interest and there is certainly information missing to consider him a "suspect". This guy, however, is not Mr. X, although he did live on Jackson St. at one time. BC has always claimed to have multiple distinct personalities (including one named "Bombhead") and was deeply involved with the psychedelic drug world in the late 50s and 60s. He has created disturbing sculptures and assemblages of the Black Dahlia, a dismembered child in an electric chair etc. etc.. He has declared himself dead on more than one occasion, often refused to be photographed, fingerprinted or sign his name and wears white gloves to public events. He fits eyewitness descriptions from Presidio Heights and resembles the Stine composite sketches. He had himself fingerprinted in Palo Alto a week after what is possibly Z's last letter is sent. I'll leave the whole Wichita Vortex out of it for now...

Many thanks to VDave for formatting the diagrams!

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   

Deo, Excellent work. Your suspect is as good as any other, imo. I will mull this over and visit all the links over the weekend. BTW, do you know if BC is married?

Deoxys

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:56 am:   

Thanks, Dave.

BC has been married since 1957 but is hardly henpecked. His wife has tolerated his running off to Mexico to avoid imminent nuclear war in the early 60s, the peyote use, the multiple personalities, the alcoholism in the late 70s when he was a punk-rock photographer etc. etc. If my wife was that tolerant, I might still be married.

Regardless of what you think about BC or my interpretation, I think the connection with the Diggers' "logo" is important to consider. I challenge anyone to find another symbol that incorporates the cross/circle combination with Z's mysterious Halloween card symbol. The fact that it was widely distributed to Bay area residents in August, 1968 makes it all the more fascinating to me.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   

Deo, the reason I ask is that there is a Mrs Conner on the Board of the Presidio Trust. Do you know if there is any connection?

Do your own thing=Whatever floats your boat, lol.

Deoxys

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   

Interesting, Dave. I doubt it is the same Mrs. C. since she is an artist as well and seemingly pretty low profile. I'll discuss this with you further in chat.

Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   

A brief addendum for Howard and Jim Nelson...

A band named Orkustra was considered the "house band" of the Diggers in 1967 and played at one or more of the Bay area Acid Test Festival during the same period.

The lead guitarist for Orkustra? Bobby Beausoleil, Manson family associate, now serving time at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institute for the 1969 murder of Gary Hinman.

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2004-11-17/news/fea ture.html

Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   

For anyone interested (read: Deo himself), this 1982 interview with Peter Berg ("co-founder" of the Diggers along with Emmett Grogan) seems to confirm BC's involvement with the Diggers. Berg speaks of BC's 1967 run for San Francisco City Supervisor as one of many stunts the Diggers used as part of their "guerrilla theater" concept to liberate the minds of Bay area residents. His campaign speech? A six stanza list of desserts ending with "One Gallon of (presumably acid-laced) Kool Aid!"

5228 SF citizens apparently approved of his message.

http://www.diggers.org/oralhistory/pb_jg_0482.htm

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   

Very interesting link, Deo. I had forgotten about this thread. BB was from Santa Barbara, and would have been 16 at the time of D&E.--I have a Grass Roots LP. I'll check to see if BB is on it. I also had Love, but sold them. I was in the Straight Theater, and the I Thou in Oct.67. Wild scene.

I was reading a book about desert Indians. The Hopi or Zuni medicine men had a long stick with etchings on it, that they would feel and narrate a yearly history of their people. Some of the symbols appear similar to BC's art, and Z's cipher symbols.

BB's attire in 66-69 reminds me of Dr. John or Leon Russel. He would have fit right in to the Panhandle scene, and recording studio scene.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   

Very interesting! I think you may be on to something with the symbols and Digger connection.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   

Deo, that is very interesting stuff. One question: How did you decide what scale the cross-circle symbol and "wide flange beam" would be when you placed it on the grid? Would that matter?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   

From your Sept.3rd link--"Williams moved the crowd to Baker Beach". That would have placed BC and all other "friends" as walking or driving through Presidio Heights! This was pre Stine, but indicates they were familiar with the area.

I listened to David LaFlamme and It's a Beautiful Day--cult classic. I was also at The Family Dog on Ocean Beach one night in 67. They were projecting these art images on the wall, with no verbal or sub title accompaniment, except for the live band playing on stage. Everyone was sitting around on the floor, spaced out, while the security guards watched. I think the entertainment was "Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks", "Commander Cody", and Chet Helms.

Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   

I didn't necessarily scale the diagram, Tom. It actually would fit whichever of the concentric circles that one chose. Would it matter? You would have to ask Z about that.

Dave, BC and friends were fascinated with Indian mythology and mysticism long before they came to San Francisco and I believe their interest influenced the Diggers' subculture in SF.

http://homepage.mac.com/thorntonstreiff/PhotoAlbum 1.html

Allen Ginsberg, who was friendly with BC and his friends, made a very public trip to Wichita in 1966 to discover the origins of the ideas brought from Wichita to SF. The trip inspired his famous 1966 Wichita Vortex Sutra poem.

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/keenan/b1965-1.htm l (pic 2)

http://homepage.mac.com/thorntonstreiff/PhotoAlbum 2.html

http://wings.buffalo.edu/cas/english/faculty/conte /syllabi/377/Wichita_Vortex.html

I believe that the Diggers celebration of solstices and equinoxes was also borrowed from American Indian culture.

http://www.diggers.org/images/ss68_bm.jpg

Note their symbolic representation (lower right)of this solstice event (the solstice before Z's attack on Faraday & Jensen).

Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   

Dave, remember that BC LIVED on Jackson St. (near the corner of Jackson & Fillmore a little over a mile away from the Stine scene) when he first came to San Francisco so he was certainly familiar with Presidio Heights.

The comment about the light shows at the Family Dog made me laugh. BC created light shows for the Family Dog at the Avalon Ballroom during this time so if you were there to see it, you were probably witnessing BC's work! Did you like it?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   

No, I didn't like it,haha. I thought the whole scene at the Family Dog sucked. It confused me!

I have posters from the Avalon and the Fillmore. One of them is Big Brother.

I just sold a first ed. of Empty Mirrors by Ginsberg last week. I think I got screwed on the price.

My sister was a 16 year old runaway in the Haight in 68. She lived in Daly City, then moved to Vallejo and Hogan High. My DAD cruised the Haight looking for her. I was too busy. I had to get back east for military duty.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   

Here's a quote I just read tonight, from Manson in His Own Words, by Emmons:

"Since I was a musician, travel and job changes were expected, so if I was in Frisco today, Mendocino tomorrow, or Santa Cruz next week, my parole officer had no cause to get upset."

He had been using Mary Brunner's address for the benefit of his parole officer.---Anything was possible with BB, Manson and other hangers on. BC was right in this mix, and may have influenced some of the followers.

Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   

Howard can probably tell you more about it but both Manson and Bruce Davis, as well as Bobby Beausoleil, apparently had contact with the Diggers in San Francisco. I believe Manson made use of their free food distributions in the Golden Gate Park panhandle.

The Diggers are also said to have traveled with Anton LaVey and Church of Satan members to Washington D.C. in October 1967 to the "Exorcism of the Pentagon" event as part of a large Vietnam War protest. There are definitely some close connections between many of these freaky counterculture groups including the Manson Family. Who influenced who and in what ways is difficult to determine.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:57 am:   

Below the pic of Shorty Shea and Spahn, check out the link to the film--The Ramrodder, with Beausoleil and Catherine Share in the cast. The date is interesting too.

http://employees.oxy.edu/jerry/spahn.htm

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   

Vallejo Dave, Thank you so much for that link ! I would like to see the movie Ramrodder, do you have any idea where I could get it ? There is a name in that cast that fits into a part of my puzzle ( if in fact it is the right person )! I gave you the name in one of my emails to you. The name Ramrod ,is the name of a gay bar in S.F.lol.

Va_trent
Username: Va_trent

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   

Here is a movie that wasnt listed on that filmography for Beausoleil...

"Mondo Hollywood (1967)… Frank Zappa, Jayne Mansfield, Jimmy Carl Black, Bobby Beausoleil, Jay Sebring, Gypsy Boots. Low-budget hippie exploitation junk noted for the once-in-a-lifetime cast. Black was Zappa’s drummer. Beausoleil went to prison for a Manson Family related murder, and Sebring was a Manson Family victim in the Sharon Tate murders. The soundtrack was composed by the future Attorney General of California, Mike Curb."

Neat, eh?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:32 am:   

Sandy, I would guess you'd have to get that movie from underground sources in Socal. Who is your other person?

"Hard On The Trail" might be a good watch too. Looks like there were some noteable actors involved with the Manson/Spahn/Beausoleil porn flick industry! I witnessed a film at a reserve drill in SF. It may have been one of these. The title was--"The Plumber.",lol.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:11 am:   

Here's a site where you can order Mondo Hollywood, Hard on the Trail and others. Check out all the Manson related stuff, Anton Lavey, Kenneth Anger, satanism, scientology--all the noteables.
http://www.aes-nihil.com/mad.html

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:26 am:   

You can find a DVD of Ramrodder on Amazon.com. (A double feature btw)

Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   

Here ya go, Sandy:

http://www.amazon.com/Ramrodder-Revenge-Virgins-Ji m-Gentry/dp/B00007ELDR/sr=1-1/qid=1167864850/ref=p d_bbs_sr_1/104-2753520-6179949?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It sounds like a low-budget gay porn movie to me.

Trent, that's gotta be one of the strangest casts ever assembled for a movie.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   

I'm waiting for "Mondo Napa" to be released!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration