Ted K's attendance at U C Berkeley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Other Zodiac Suspects » Ted Kaczynski » Ted K's attendance at U C Berkeley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   

Doug, Linda, or anyone, Is there any way you could tell us where Ted K was on the campus of UC during his attendance there? What buildings and what time span he was there, based on the following map:

http://www.berkeley.edu/map/maps/large_map.html

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   

Kaczynski lived on Regent Street and would have worked at Campbell Hall--I believe that was the building that housed the math department. He lived there from June, 1967 through "sometime shortly after" June 30, 1969.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   

WOW--I didn't realize he lived there for 2 years! He was there for the People's Park riots, and probly cruised Telegraph Ave. Do you think he may have been influenced by the "Free Speech" movement, and other events near Sproul Hall?---I'd love to find some of his classmates.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   

I see Campbell Hall, just to the right of the Main Library, where Manson's first love and Patty Hearst worked, but where is Regent Street?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   

Try +Berkeley,+CA,Google Maps.

Yes, he was undoubtedly there for the People's Park riots. Funny thing is, I have that e-mail from the lady who claims she met him at the University of Idaho in late in the semester, 1969 and that he was there with his brother looking for land to buy. I'm thinking that perhaps with the riots going on he might have been away from the campus and not been missed. His brother claims they didn't start the trip until July.

That woman also said she spoke to him about the student revolutionaries, and he claimed that he grudgingly admired the SDS because they were committed to their cause--even though their ideas were diametrically opposed to his.

So far as classmates are concerned, remember that during his time at Berkeley he was an acting assistant professor; not a student.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   

Thanks for that map reference, Doug. I see Regent St. a couple blocks east of Telegraph. I arrived on the scene in March, 69 and my first stop after Vallejo was Berkeley. I spent time there at Telegraph Ave and Bancroft Way, exploring and watching hippies and students. I checked out Sproul Plaza and that general area.

When I got my job, I had to visit Workmen's Comp accounts almost daily in Berkeley--Claridge Hotel, Herrick Memorial Hospital, Alta-Bates Hospital, California Hotel on San Pablo, Oliver Tire and Rubber in Emeryville. I also attended some Football games at Memorial Stadium, and checked out the coffee house scene along Telegraph. I usually came up University or Ashby Ave, which crosses Regent St. I probably rubbed elbows with Ted, and didn't know it. The revolutionaries and the Panthers were out in force.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   

Doug, I note the north section of Regent Street ends across he street from People's Park. Perhaps Ted was more involved in these activities than we expected. Maybe his resentment towards high tech incubated here.

I had to visit places all thru that area. Calif College of Arts and Crafts on Broadway, Oakland Meat and Haslett Warehouses, Tharco Containers. In addition, I had to visit the Doctors of claimants. I remember one on College Ave and one on Park St. in Alameda. I would come down from Vallejo in the am, visit a few places in Berkeley and Oakland, then head for the office in SF. Since I was unemployed from Mar. to July of 69, I spent much time in Berkeley, as I wanted to go to school there. I also registered at employment agencies on Shattuck, Dwight Way and in Oakland.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   

I don't know, Dave; Kaczynski hated leftists and he didn't especially like crowds. However I can those campus radicals increasing his disgust toward people slightly younger than himself, particularly when viewed alongside their sexual proclivities--everyone in the Age of Aquarius was getting some, except poor Ted, who, according to his brother, advertised for female companionship, unsuccessfully, in the Berkeley papers.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   

"Hairy, horny, UC Prof looking for free love and someone to share his Sweat Lodge with him." I remember those ads, lol. I think Ted must have found some female "Satisfaction" while he was there.

BTW, Ironically, I ran into a guy that I knew from PA in Berkeley. He was totally flipped out and was selling pot on Telegraph. I had my Insurance Co. suit on and think I flipped him out too! He showed me his pad on Channing Way, and I was shocked to see an 8 or 10 year old kid smoking pot there. This guy had done the Hippie Hill scene in GGP. Today, he is back in PA, born again, and doing the religious, gospel scene here. He is drug and alcohol free, and looks good.

I might add that I also had accounts down Foothill Blvd, and E 14th St. to San Leandro, Hayward, Fremont, and Newark, in addition to some in Sunnyvale, like Ampex and Memorex. In SF, we had Schlage Lock, Bechtel, the St. Francis, SF Newspaper Printing Co, and many others. I just want it on record how familiar I was with the scene, before I forget about it! Keep up the good work!

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   

Nope, Dave; he never got any, at least according to his own accounts. "Acute sexual starvation" was how he described it.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   

"Acute sexual starvation syndrome". Hmmm, that gives me an idea to try and get funding and set up a new government "pork barrel" program here.

I doubt that Ted went without sex in Berkeley for 2 years, given his young age and the times, no matter what he might say publicly.

Did you get any records from UC regarding his classes and performance, or do you know what kind of car he drove then?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   

Dave, you're not the first person who's expressed doubt that someone could have lived in Berkeley for two years and not been able to obtain sex. Believe me, though, with Kaczynski it was true. Here's a guy who, while he studied at the U. of Michigan, tried to get a sex change operation because "the only way he could touch a woman was to be one." He's on record as saying he's never gotten any. The closest he ever came was in 1978 when he had a couple of dates with a co-worker and actually got to kiss her. When she ditched him he wrote a series of dirty limericks about her and posted them around the factory where they worked, causing his brother (his supervisor at the time) to fire him. A short while afterward he took a knife and hid in the woman's car, intending to mutilate her face, in revenge for having spurned him. He saw the folly of what he was about to do, and backed off the idea. But you can see just how sexually pathological he actually was.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 5:37 am:   

Interesting Doug. I had forgotten about his sex change ambitions. He and Karr could be soulmates, lol.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 6:35 am:   

Incidentally, Dave, his classes were, if I remember correctly, advanced set theory, and intro to topology. He drove a tan 1967 Chevelle.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:22 am:   

"I just want to be a Cosmic Cowboy, a Supernatural Hippie Rocking GaLoot."

Doug, what is topology? Not Topography, right?-----I wonder where Ted gassed up his 67 Chevelle. And if he had a credit card. That's a new car for a cash strapped "acting assistant professor."

Also, did he eat in the UC cafeterias, or in Deli's, lunchonettes or Pubs along Telegraph? I'm just trying to discover more info.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:39 am:   

Dave, here's a website that defines topology. It's way over my head.

Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions--we've got lots of data on Ted, but it doesn't go down that deep!

Ted's brother said he bought he car used, but even with depreciation it would still have been fairly pricy. His salary was approximately $800 per month; probably the equivalent of four times that much nowadays. But he knew how to keep his expenses low, didn't socialize, and didn't have a wife or girlfriend to maintain. Still, I doubt that he paid for the car in cash.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   

More good info Doug, thanks. I wonder where he bought the car. My salary was about $400. per month there at the time, so Ted was rich, relatively speaking.---I had a wife and kids to "maintain", so I didn't do much socially.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   

Ted claimed that the only reason he took the job at Berkeley was to save money so he could run off to the wilderness. I personally don't think that's quite right because he continued to publish mathemetical papers all the way through 1969. Whatever the case, his expenses were undoubtedly low. I wonder why he chose a Chevelle? Maybe he thought it made him look sexy to the chicks?

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   

That was my thought too, Doug. A sexy, souped up Chevelle with a 396 and Mag wheels. Someone saving for the wilderness would not buy a car like that, imo.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   

Kind of like an old fart who buys himself a convertible, thinking he's going to score with the babes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration