Where Is Lawrence Kane? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Other Zodiac Suspects » Lawrence Kane » Where Is Lawrence Kane? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joanne_in_mb
Username: Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   

I paid one of those internet search companies twenty bucks to get info on Lawrence Kane, approximate age 82, in Nevada. Unfortunately, I got scammed. The result they sent me was for a Larry Kane, aged 68, in Nevada. Too young to be the Zodiac suspect, too old to be the suspect's son (unless Kane sired him at age 14!). Listed as Larry Kane's relatives, however, are Gwen M. Kane, Tara D. Kane, and LAWRENCE W. KANE. Perhaps this is a nephew. I have Larry Kane's address and phone number, if anyone wants to contact him.

http://www.JoAnnesPage.net

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   

He must be the Zodiac ... he's got a round face.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   

I'm not certain I'd trust any research into Larry Kane. First and foremost, he was identified as a Z suspect on the basis of a disappearance (and we don't even know if a crime was committed!!! Donna Lass may have disappeared voluntarily) that was linked to Z on the very shaky basis of a card with an incorrect victim count that may have been prepared by anyone using Z-related information that had already been published (including the misspelled "Paul Averly") and could mean anything. I've posted at length about this, and the fact is, "Larry Kane" is not an uncommon name and I have the sneaking suspicion that a particular "investigator" looked for any old Larry Kane (and people with similar names) in the places he wanted him to be and just lumped them all together into a composite suspect that may actually be composed of many people, not just one.

That being said, maybe you found the Larry Kane that allegedly knew Donna Lass; he would have been 32 in 1970.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   

Ed, I didn't seriously consider Lawrence Kane as a viable suspect until I went back into the old archived message board and read the posts by Sandy. Also, according to Pam Huckaby, Kane was the guy who stalked Darlene Ferrin in the months prior to her murder. Kathleen Johns also positively ID'ed him. I'd love to find out more about this guy.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   

No, he couldn't be Z. He looks too Hispanic.

Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   

There's no evidence that the man who stalked Darlene Ferrin (assuming she was even stalked!) was the same man who killed her. Even if Kane did stalk her, there's absolutely nothing to link him to Z other than a vague card and the possibly voluntary disappearance of Donna Lass. That does not a suspect make.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   

What about KANE MY NAME? Eh?

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:49 am:   

Uhh, that's only part of the code, lol... what about the rest of the symbols?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:17 am:   

Cleverly inserted in order to fool the unwary!

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:59 am:   

Like the rest of the top suspects Larry's hair don't fit the composite.

Joanne, do you work out? Your body Rock's girl.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:31 am:   

Okay, who's the joker who signed my guestbook as "LK"? It was one of you, wasn't it? If not, maybe it was the -- gulp -- real LK! LoL.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:41 am:   

Not math professorly enough...

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:24 am:   

He's the Zodiac all right. He probably goes to Reno for "stove oil."

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   

Joanne, thousands of people read this board. Could've been anyone...

BTW, Kane's writing and fingerprints don't match Z's either. He can't be Z.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   

Hawk, thanks for the compliment. As far as LK's hair not fitting the composite, I felt that ruled LK out as a suspect, too, until I started digging around in the scads of info on this site (okay, I admit it -- I've been lurking for months). What I learned is that there are so many conflicting descriptions of the Zodiac, e.g., height, weight, age, hair color, hair style, etc. that no suspect's viability can be based only on their resemblance to the composite. Here are some examples which just relate to hair:

Mike Mageau's Description of Z
Reported by Ed Rust in his report of BRS
http://www.zodiackiller.com/DFR10.html
"[Mageau] Stated he [the attacker] had short curly hair, light brown, almost blond."

Bryan Hartnell's Description of Z
Reported by John Robertson in his interview with BH in the hospital
http://www.zodiackiller.com/HartnellInterview7.htm l
"...it was a brownish, you know, dark brown hair."

Description of Z by Teenagers Who Witnessed the Stine Murder
As referenced in Police Report
http://www.zodiackiller.com/StineReport2.html
"...reddish-blond, 'crew-cut' hair..."

Description of Z by Fouke & Zelms
As referenced in SFPD Report
http://www.zodiackiller.com/discus/messages/23/776 .html?1164526476
"...light colored hair, possible graying in rear..."

I take the hair descriptions with a grain of salt because a.) they vary so widely; b.) the viewing conditions were less than optimal; c.) the credibility of the descriptions must be questioned because the witnesses were under stress; d.) Z could have simply worn a wig!

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   

Glad that you decided to post after months of lurking, Joanne. I think a lot of people are, unfortunately, probably reluctant to post for fear of having their ideas or knowledge attacked.

You're right. The physical descriptions are all over the map and really can't eliminate any of the popular suspects (or 90% of the white male population for that matter). I think it would be very interesting to find Larry Kane and talk with him. Perhaps the approach to take would be to offer to help him defend himself against the awful accusation of having been the Zodiac Killer. If my face were installed here with guys like Bruce Davis and Ted Kaczynski, I'd want to tell the world why my face doesn't belong here! Perhaps he has a verifiable alibi for one or more of the important dates.

As Ed mentions, the fingerprints and handwriting make it highly unlikely that Kane is Z but I still think your investigation is worthwhile. I'd be glad to write him a nice letter... :-)

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   

Hmmm, Joanne, you have solved the case. It all comes down to hair.

Hawk

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:02 am:   

Joanne, I was referring to the Crew Cut. Hair color is not a factor as far as I'm concerned since it can be dyed. To my knowlege none of the top suspects can be placed having a crew cut around the time of the Stine murder.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:08 am:   

Thank you, Deoxys. Please send me your email address. Mine is JoAnneMB1@aol.com. I'll send you the address that the internet search company provided.

Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 6:23 am:   

Check your e-mail, Joanne. I'll let y'all know if we have the right Larry...

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   

Hawk, I know the possibility that Z wore a wig has been discussed ad nauseam on this site, but here's an old magazine article that you might find interesting:

Topping It Off
~ Time Magazine, Friday, Sep. 5, 1969 ~

Wear a shorthair wig, save hassles with the fuzz, draft boards, reserves and save hair. Call Underground Wig Movement, 942-2707. - Ad in the Quicksilver Times, Washington, D.C.

Aesthetically, they look like something Grandfather wouldn't wear to a senior citizens' frolic. But when you're a young guy trying to get along with the Establishment, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And the hard truth of the matter is, Establishment standards specify short hair for men.

Taking the matter into his own hands, a long-haired hairdresser named Bob Woodford, 31, started making shorthair wigs for America's harried longhairs. "When it doesn't make sense to have long hair in certain situations," he says, "you have two alternatives: you can cut it and wait two years for it to grow back or you can cover it up with a wig. Take a guy in the Army reserve. If he's going into drill for two days, why should he have to change his image for the other 28 days? The sergeants don't realize that his girl won't look at him with short hair." To help remedy this, Woodford bought a lady's wig, trimmed it down to a respectable male length, ran that ad in the underground Times and discovered a need for his product.

One fellow (who spent one year, one month and 26 days growing shoulder-length locks) tucked his flowing tresses under one of Woodford's wigs and snagged a job working for a gas-station owner who didn't want "longhairs hanging around." Another customer was in traffic court and, figuring that "I'd rather be prosecuted for my transgression against the Virginia traffic code than be persecuted for being a freak," he invested in one of Woodford's wigs. He didn't beat the rap, but the arresting officer said: "Well, one good thing came out of this: you got your hair cut." Another bought his wig so that customs agents would not search him for marijuana after a trip to South America.

Woodford views his anti-Establishmentarian invention with a certain amount of humanitarianism, well-laced with some simple cynicism: "It's great for certain situations when it's unprofitable to have hair, or at least too much hair. Since what some employers care about is appearance, that's what they get. Maybe that's all they deserve."

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   

Hey, maybe that's what that attorney wore when he smuggled a gun into San Quentin for George Jackson--an Afro wig. Some visitors also alledgedly smuggled gun parts in by way of their shoe heels and soles, and certain unmentionable body openings.

No reservists at the Presidio from 69 to 72 wore wigs. I can vouch for that.

Hawk

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 6:17 am:   

Joanne, I was referring to the Stine murder in particular. If Z has a Crew Cut, then why didn't he wear a longer haired wig to disguise himself? Your ad above shows that there was no such thing as a Crew Cut wig for even bald men back then.

Joanne, I think Zodiac had longer hair at the other crimescenes, but got a crew cut for some reason. I speculate that he may have gotten the crew cut to either change his looks in fear that someone may have seen him at LB, or may have even joined the Army reserves or some other branch of the Military for the Medical benefits, to leave the country for awhile and or to simply have the chance to shoot at some gooks in Nam to satisfy his need to kill. Take your pick.

"nauseam"? Thats sweet! I like it! lol

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:24 am:   

Between Mageau and Hartnell, you've got to infer that Zodiac got his hair cut for the PH event.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   

You're right, Hawk. It would be easier -- and therefore makes more sense -- that Z would cut his hair rather than cover it up with a wig. I wonder about your statement, though, that "to my knowlege none of the top suspects can be placed having a crew cut around the time of the Stine murder." Do we have a description of Kane around the time of the Stine killing? Personally, I've only seen four photos of Kane: http://www.angelfire.com/super2/summergirlmb/Kane. html. My point is... there may not be any evidence that Kane had a crew cut at that time, but is there any evidence he didn't?

Hawk

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:10 am:   

Joanne, there is one other factor to consider. According to the Hines report, Kane was a momma's boy and a possible homosexual. If Kane was gay, then the chances are he didn't kill Donna Lass, Darlene Ferrin or the Lull girl. As we have learned through out the past decades, gay men serial killers don't kill women, they kill other men. Do you agree?

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   

Hawk, I do agree that gay men serial killers don't kill women, they kill other men. However, I'm not convinced that Kane was/is gay. His military record indicated that he seemed to be indifferent to women, but that may have been because he was so distraught with worry about his mother. Kane was even married for a short time.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   

Harvey Hines, if you read this message board, please contact me.

JoAnneMB1@aol.com

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   

JoAnne, Harvey is in Or. He is a hard person to get a answer from. I sent him a picture of my stalker, which is the same person he told me was Kane. He has never gotten back to me, I think he is still upset with me when I told him he was wrong about the name Kane. How in the heck can two people have the same exact face ( scars and all) and have different names ? The man in my picture looks Hispanic in the summer, and very light skinned in the winter. My investigating is not the best, even though I have been told by LE that this picture is Kane, I have my doubts because I had him as R.Hernandez. As I have said before the only way to find out just who he is for sure, is to talk to him. Kane has asked me to email him, but never gave me his email address. I don't care to go to Tahoe alone and talk to him. Harvey said Kane would kill me if I went there, I will take that chance, but not alone.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   

Actually, I was told Harvey Hines died some time back.

Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   

JoAnne, I tried to email you but I had a problem. Please email me, I have some info on Kane that even Harvey hasn't seen. As far as Kanes handwriting goes, it was thought to be contrived by some LE, and couldn't be dismissed by other LE. The "finger prints", we can't have it both ways. Either the prints in the cab where the Z's or they weren't. If they weren't then we can't exclude Kane as the perp.I would sure like to have a DNA test done on him .

Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   

Tom, Thanks for that information on Harvey. I though you had heard he died and sent your condolence, but was informed that he hadn't ? If so I wonder if he gave all the Kane information to Pam in his will ?

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:19 am:   

Sandy,

You've got mail.

Sandy

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   

Joanne, I isn't there, please try again I have a lot of information on Kane you are welcome to.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:44 am:   

Sandy, I sent it again.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   

Joanne, I read your page and saw the message from L.K. ,he seem to use the same words that a Larry Kane had posted a few yrs ago on this site. How he could think that I am you is odd. Not very many people know where in Lake Tahoe he lives. It is not a good idea to post his address. I guess he thinks that only I and Harvey Hines have him as a Z suspect ? There are a lot more, but why spoil the game let him figure out how many. He could use some busy work.

Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   

Joanne,

Our letter to Larry was returned today "Return to Sender- No forward order on file". :-(

Tom, can you e-mail the address you had for Larry to perhaps try again?

Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   

Deoxy, When you looked up Kane you got the wrong person , because he changed it to Cane when he moved to LasVegas and then to Tahoe around late 74.JoAnne now has the correct address and phone number that I have on him. One of his friends told her that Larry has changed his phone number. I believe Larry is still at that address, but he uses a po box for his mail.He won't answer his phone even if you called him, his friends use a code, then he will pick up. I called once many yrs ago, he had a recording of a woman screaming in the back ground, very strange indeed. I would love to meet with him and have talk over a glass of wine and some fava beans

Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   

Well, if he doesn't want to talk to you, Sandy, he sure as hell wouldn't want to talk to me, lol.

I'd still be willing to give it a try, however, since the letter offers to allow him the chance to clear his name from being a "Zodiac suspect".

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:10 am:   

That's funny, I thought he was cleared years ago. Or was he ever officially investigated in the first place, other than to make Hines happy?

Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:19 am:   

Ed, valid suspect or not, Kane's still one of only six named suspects (including ALA) presented on this site. I actually tried to send him a copy of his "suspect page" and offered to post his response to any or all of the points of suspicion.

Sounds like he's not terribly interested in being contacted by anyone but I do think he deserves to be offered a "right of reply" to being listed as a suspect. Perhaps he has a verifiable alibi for certain important dates in Z history?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:44 am:   

As of late 2004, Kane was living in a condo in Zephyr Cove; one of his close neighbors contacted me with the news. I have his full address and telephone number around here someplace.

Of course, which "Kane" is he? Harvey Hines was not above claiming men with similar names were, if fact, the "Kane." Why? So he could place "Kane" wherever he needed "Kane" to be placed to be the Zodiac.

"Hey look! A guy named Barry Cline lived near Darlene! It must be ol' "Kane" using an alias!"

Sandy

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

Tom , He was there 6 mos ago, I drove up there to see if he was still alive. He has changed cars again, and again the car has no plates front or back. I didn't call him to see if he would answer. I found out what the code was from an arrest record in the late 70's.The phone company had a tap on his phone for a while. Seems he had connections to Golden Gate fields Albany Ca., a person in Santa Rosa, and one in Incline Village. He was arrested fined and put on probation. The offenses occurred between Oct.78 to Feb 1s 79. Even though I saw my stalkers face in a picture line up given to me by Harvey as Kane, I still wonder if he didn't have the wrong name for that person ? I only hope that someone some day, will see the picture I have posted and give me his real name. Unless the people who do know him are afraid of him.

Sandy

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   

Deoxys, He could tell you anything, but for sure he isn't going to tell anyone that he is the Zodiac, if in fact he is. The man I know as Kane feels that the rest of us are beneath him. He wouldn't even say hello when I stood in front of him and said hello to him. He only glared at me, as if to say how dare you speak to me. Whom ever this man is, he is far from nice. I hope you don't put your return address on the mail you send to him !

Deoxys

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   

Sandy, I wouldn't expect Kane or any Z suspect to confess in response to an inquiry. I took the approach of offering to help him clear his name if he could provide a verifiable alibi or rebut any of the points that made him a "Z suspect" in the first place.

I included my return address so I would know if the letter went through, which it didn't. Joanne has taken over the project so you should probably pass on your (understandable) warnings to her.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:04 am:   

I'm working on a letter to him this weekend. I am going to include my return address. I want him to write me back. I'll let you guys know if he does. I'm not afraid of him. He's in his eighties now.

Sandy

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

JoAnne, You would be surprised what men there 80s can do,this guy looks as strong as an ox ! I hope he responds to you, do you have his po box number where he recieves his mail ? If not email me. It isn't a good idea for me to post it.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   

Sandy, I don't have a p.o. box. It's an actual street address.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:23 am:   

My letter to Lawrence Kane came back to me today -- returned by the post office. It was marked with one of those "Return to Sender" stamps with multiple reasons for the return given (addressee moved and left no forwarding address, no such address, refused, etc.) but the post office didn't check which reason applied. Damn!

Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:33 am:   

Larry certainly prefers his privacy doesn't he?

Fine, Larry. We'll just keep on the lists of Zodiac suspects. That's the last time I'm offering to help you clear your name. :-@

Exiled
Username: Exiled

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:54 am:   

Joanne, I would gladly contact this guy(Kane) for you....you have my personal e-mail, send the info you have and I will use my resources to confirm if indeed this is the guy.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

Why is anyone even interested in Kane? He's nothing more than a voyeur who was linked to Z through very sloppy and highly questionable "detective" work into an incident that has nothing to do with Z, and we don't even know if a crime was actually committed! Donna Lass may have vanished voluntarily for reasons known only to her.

Oh, and since he was arrested, his prints are in AFIS, Z's prints have been run, and there was no match. His handwriting does not even look anything like Z's. Why are we still discussing this pervert?

Bomaye
Username: Bomaye

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

Ed,
Then Tom should take Kane off his list of suspects, as well as, everyone else on that list.
Geesh, why can't you just let people discuss.

Exiled

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   

Good point Bomaye, This particular thread is dedicated to inquiries about Lawrence Kane, so it should be no wonder as to why "we" are still discussing this pervert.

Kane is more believable as a suspect than Allen ever could be. Or the rediculous notion that the unibomber or the Manson family could have been "z". In my opinion, none of the individuals listed on this site make for good suspects, but if someone else thinks so, have at it!

If someone wants to start a thread claiming O.J. did it, let'em. We will all have to learn to agree to disagree and respect other points of view even if they are rediculous.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   

What makes Kane such a good suspect? Or, at least a better one than Allen and the others you mentioned?

At the very least, all of them can be placed in or near the Bay Area at some point. Kane can't, unless you choose to believe the smoke and mirrors approach of Harvey Hines.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   

I know something that's rediculous, but it isn't the unibomber theory.

Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   

Actually, I've kind of cooled on Lawrence Kane as my suspect. However, I wanted to at least try to elicit some response from him before he dies -- even if just to clear his name once and for all.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   

Bomaye, people can discuss anything, but I find it troubling that anyone would discuss a suspect that cannot be Z for the reasons already mentioned. It's kinda like discussing the plausibility of the flat Earth theory when it's a well known, established scientific fact that the Earth is spherical (I've even seen pics from space that prove it!), or thinking that the geocentric theory of the solar system is possible when it is a well known, established scientific fact that the solar system is heliocentric.

That being said, Kane is one of the worst suspects ever (except for all the others); he was identified as Z using very questionable methods while looking into something that may not even be a crime that was linked to Z on the basis of a card that could have been prepared by anyone and that could mean anything. In other words, how does one identify Z by looking into a crime that is not a Z crime and that may not even be a crime??? This line of thinking is bizarre, to say the least.

And considering the sloppy and questionable "detective" work that went into identifying Kane as Z, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the man who is believed to be Kane living at Lake Tahoe isn't even him.

Exiled

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   

Holy $#@! Ed, do you work for NASA????....either that or you attend alot of Star Trek conventions. But you are right, Kane makes for a lousy suspect....and look at me, I was(briefly) duped into buying J. Tarrance as a suspect.

My point is that we should all be able to endorse who ever we want as a suspect even if we're the only ones who believe in it.

And I hear ya' Doug Oswell, I read your CD-ROM...which is far more informitive than the 2 books that inspired the upcoming "ZODIAC" movie, but Dont be mad because I ademently oppose your theories about the uni-bomber/Zodiac connection. I am always open to new ideas about old ideas.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   

Believe me, Exiled, I'm not mad.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   

No, Exiled, I'm a massage therapist, but I majored in history, have a good scientific background, and am a Trekkie to boot. Of course, we can endorse whoever we want as a suspect, it just seems to me that many are totally unaware of certain facts and speak of these suspects as if they were viable. This isn't like discussing the Jack the Ripper case where everyone involved has been dead for decades and we have meager information on which to base a theory anyway, which means there are few or even no photographs of the suspects, no fingerprints, no writing, not much in the way of eyewitness descriptions, and so on. After 118 years, the JTR case is little more than an intellectual exercise, but Z is not since we have so much more hard evidence and technology that is quantum levels beyond what existed in the 19th Century. Up through the 1980's, it was feasible to assume that Z could have been any one of a number of suspects, but with AFIS, CODIS and so on, any of those with criminal records should be eliminated as suspects, since there should have been a hit on the Z prints with AFIS, and there has not been thus far. It is safe to assume that Z has never been arrested for anything, and if he was, it was so long ago that his prints have not yet been entered into the system.

Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   

This thread was started by Joanne asking "Where is Larry Kane?" I think the question is worthwhile because Kane is one of the few living, frequently discussed Z suspects who is not incarcerated and could potentially be contacted by anyone for a response. He may not be the greatest suspect but he made the top 5 in both the "official" suspect list here and in my informal Top 5 Suspects poll awhile back. It would be worthwhile, IMO, to be able to scratch him off the list.

Without suspects, the Z case becomes merely an intellectual exercise as well and the "Other Zodiac suspects" thread here is hardly overflowing with alternatives. Fifteen to twenty years from now, this case too will be considered a historical mystery along with Jack the Ripper and a few others. To me, it is the possibility (if not probability) that Z is still alive that maintains my interest in the case and my own person of interest.

Regardless of my own opinions, I'm glad there are folks seriously investigating ALA, Kaczynski, Davis etc. and I think our focus should be on ruling out suspects. There is so much controversy over the evidence in this case, no one can even agree on what is needed to rule a suspect out.

I guess my question for Ed would be if none of the suspects presented here are worthy of further investigation, what is there left to discuss?

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   

There is endless speculation about Z's possible background from the letters, there is getting to the truth of the actual crimes (such as forgetting about the chase to BRS that never happened, because it implies that Z knew Ferrin for which there is no evidence in support of that claim), looking at perhaps new suspects that have never been arrested that actually have good circumstantial evidence against them, unlike Kane, Tarrance et. al., possible solutions to the unsolved ciphers, etc... there are still things to talk about...

Exiled

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:24 am:   

Ed, I'm an old history major myself(Univ. of Oregon)...and I cant disagree with you, but I hope that by discussing all these run-of-the mill suspects, maybe, it can stimulate enough interest that somebody can either find something to eliminate a particular suspect(in this case L. Kane) or dig something up on a previously unknown suspect.

Running someone through NCIC doesn't always work, even if the suspect your looking for is in the system, they dont always show up,(believe me) NCIC is a notoriously flawed database...and thats the best we got.

I believe that its possible(but doubtful) for Zodiac to be alive and if he is, his personal records are out there somewhere....remember, The Green River Killer(thus far the most prolific serial killer in america) was once thought to be long gone and untouchable...and we all know how that ended.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:03 am:   

Tom lay upon a sofa with an eager auditory about him and told the history of the wonderful adventure, putting in many striking additions to adorn it withal; and closed with a description of how he left Becky and went on an exploring expedition; how he followed two avenues as far as his kite-line would reach; how he followed a third to the fullest stretch of the kite-line, and was about to turn back when he glimpsed a far-off speck that looked like daylight; dropped the line and groped toward it, pushed his head and shoulders through a small hole, and saw the broad Mississippi rolling by! And if it had only happened to be night he would not have seen that speck of daylight and would not have explored that passage any more!

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:07 am:   

Perhaps it may be flawed, but I have a real hard time believing that no one in LE checked Kane's, Kaczynski's, Davis' and Tarrance's prints (just to name a few) against Z's.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:47 am:   

They certainly checked Kaczynski's, back in 1996. The point is, and the authorities have confirmed it, that no one can be certain of the provenance of those prints. Cases like this go unsolved because no one wants to let go of the paradigms, probably because the paradigms are so effective in all the other cases. When people try to go outside the box they're ridiculed, and their motives are impugned. I grant you there are people who go so far outside the box that their theories become bizarre, but I flatter myself that I'm not one of them.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   

In reality, the only true connection Kane has to this case is that he knew Lass. Now, he could have killed lass and burried her somewhere, but until she is found, dead or alive, no one will ever know for sure. In re: to Lass staging her own disappearance, I agree with Ed, but how could she have never been located after all these years. I guess she could have cut and dyed her hair etc to appear different.

A theory I had was that Kane could have killed Lass and burried her so that she could not be found, but that does not mean that he is Z. Kane himself could have pulled and cut Z messages and letters from newspapers and created the card himself to blame Z. Im sure if Lass was ever found dead, Kane would be the prime suspect.

Or how about another off-the-wall theory. Zodiac met Lass, fell in love, taught her how to change her identity and they are living happily ever after somewhere unknown LOL

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   

I think it would be relatively easy to disappear if you aren't running from the law or something like that. You just don't tell anyone where you're going...

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   

"Im sure if Lass was ever found dead, Kane would be the prime suspect."

I disagree. I have copies of the extensive reports made by the private investigator hired by Donna's family soon after she disappeared. At no place is Kane mentioned. However, there was a pretty good suspect; he worked at the casino.

Interesting how none of her coworkers mentioned Kane back in the day, but Hines shows up 15-20 years later and they supposedly named him as a good suspect. Something stinks.

Stew
Username: Stew

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   

Fingerprints are good at convicting someone if there is a match. However, conversely, they're not good at exonerating people - ie. the bloodied prints in this case may belong to one of the paramedics who handled Stine's body if I'm not mistaken.

If these prints are not of Z then potentially we will never catch him based on comparing fingerprints. Remember it is a fact in this case that they obtained prints, however it is only an opinion (if I'm not mistaken) that they belong to Z.

If the prints were matched to any of the suspects, it would be damning evidence. If they don't match it doesn't necessarily mean the opposite (ie innocence).

Tom, Hines' report does read even worse than the yellowbook in places, however, this guy obviously was convinced enough to be obsessed by what he thought was Kane's guilt. Seems to be a psychological tendency to subliminally look/screen for positive connections with alot of people who latch onto "their" suspect. However, he needs to be given some respect for the fact that he was convinced of Kane's guilt perhaps.

IMHO there also seems to be a tendency with those that get obsessed with the case that solving it is not the highest value, rather solving it with "their suspect" (preferably one they've found themselves) is the goal. The "I want to be the hero that deciphers the code and finds Z etc, etc" mentality that attracts a lot of us at first. This can prejudice true objectivity.

Sticking to the facts is important, but there a paltry facts in this case but lots of opinions, suppositions etc. The fingerprints and the composite sketches are two opinions that are seemingly treated as facts. The DNA is highly suspect also if they are using the wrong letter as their sample, let alone knowing that it was Z's DNA that went on his letter. Like the prints it is damning if it matches, much less significant if it doesn't.

JM2c

Sandy

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   

Harvey never got back to me about the man in my picture being Kane. He didn't like the idea that I had the man followed to his car and had that plate ran.It came back belonging to R.Hernandez. From that day on my investigating was on that family.When I met Harvey( about April 90) he showed me a photo line up of 6 or 8 pictures. My hart stopped when I saw the picture of the man who had been bothering me for all those yrs. This was before I took a picture of my stalker (Aug 90). They are in fact the same person.I started looking for people who knew Darlene, showing them pictures of Kane in his early yrs.I found the gas station attendant who knew Darlene when she worked at Terry's. He said that the picture was that of the man who use to ask about Darlene almost every day. He would ask if she was working that day ? The attendant didn't remember what kind of car the man drove.Some other person who ran into the same man in my picture,lived in Vallejo in the late 80's. This person just happened to be reading the yellow book, the strange older man told the young man that he was a fan of the Zodiacs ! The man spoke to him in a slow and deliberate manner.Spilled coffee out of his mouth, not bothering him, as if it happened all the time. The young man said that he had a lazy eye. A few days later he was given a bag with another yellow book inside. Inside of the cover were the words: I thought you might like an autographed copy, he signed it The Zodiac, and had drawn the z logo as well.Ed will say again: That could have been anyone !What do you think ? This same person has been ID'd from other women who have gotten away from him,I spoke to them myself. This same man left at the same time as Vicky Bell did from my work Easter weekend 1988,her body was found the next day.This man is a murderer who started following me in 1968 Vallejo. What are the odds that he is just another kook who likes to kill ?

Stew

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

Sandy, I think you are on to something. I don't have the time-on-the-case resume as some of the other posters here, but what turns a lot of people off is that they are convinced Z is asexual in his crimes. IMO this is perhaps just what Z wanted us to think. The more I find out about Z, the more I realize or feel that Z was all about BS. Just like many serial killers who stage crime scenes, and try to lead people astray when communicating (eg Kaczynski), I believe Z was doing the same. I (as well as a lot of others I suspect) have found examples of this in his letters. I am of the opinion that Z did not go to sleep at night wondering if some NASA scientist was going to crack his code while asleep and he be awoken by a riot squad at his bedside.

I am also of the opinion that if Z's "collecting of slaves" had an element of truth, he wasn't talking about people to pick cotton in his afterlife, he was referring to women as sex slaves. Men were just necessary collateral damage, either because women were usually accompanied at midnight in vulnerable areas, or that he didn't miss a chance to throw in a male killing as a distraction. For a psychopathic killer, killing someone is about as emotional as killing a spider. There are just so few cases in history where the act of "serial killing" in society, if not just a spin-off feeling of power and control, didn't involve a sexual element or link. The lack of control, power and success that is felt in not getting what they want in normal life interactions is reversed in the experience of killing a helpless victim.

Some of us are so angry at Graysmith that they reject anything that might confirm one of his theories (like stalking Darlene Ferrin) even if the suggestion of stalking or selecting his prey has nothing to do with RG's concocted evidence.

The question is how are we to get evidence for a conviction of any suspect?

Apologize for rambling on here without much help, but I think you have something (direct experience) that a lot of others don't have. Just beware that positively ID'ing a photo is difficult after many years, and IMO people subliminally want to answer in the affirmative to be of help.

I'd like to help you, though I'm not in the Bay area.

Regards

Stewart

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   

Regardless how one feels about that author, there's simply no evidence Zodiac knew/stalked Ferrin.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   

I'm not zoned in on any one suspect, but I find Bruce Davis and Lawrence Kane closer to Zodiac's likely profile than some of the other persons of interest. Kane's way of changing his appearance is also an intriguing characteristic. Larry Kane is a person I would like to know a lot more about.

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   

We're sort of spinning our wheels here. For a few hundred bucks, Kane could be found if the right people were retained to do it. But what then; ask him if he's the Zodiac?

Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   

Stew wrote:

Fingerprints are good at convicting someone if there is a match. However, conversely, they're not good at exonerating people - ie. the bloodied prints in this case may belong to one of the paramedics who handled Stine's body if I'm not mistaken.

If these prints are not of Z then potentially we will never catch him based on comparing fingerprints. Remember it is a fact in this case that they obtained prints, however it is only an opinion (if I'm not mistaken) that they belong to Z.

If it was only an opinion of someone that the prints with traces of blood were Z's, why then were they used to help eliminate thousands of suspects? And I'd hope even Toschi wasn't stupid enough to neglect to print everyone at the scene, including the paramedics, to eliminate their prints. And while the prints may not be enough to include a suspect, they can certainly exclude, ie, let's say the prints with traces of blood had, for the sake of argument, whorls, but a suspect had arches in his prints. He's therefore instantly excluded on that basis alone.

Some of us are so angry at Graysmith that they reject anything that might confirm one of his theories (like stalking Darlene Ferrin) even if the suggestion of stalking or selecting his prey has nothing to do with RG's concocted evidence.

As Tom said, there's zero evidence that Z stalked anyone, especially Darlene. If she was stalked by someone her family and friends thought was her killer, why did each and every single one of them fail to mention this to the police in the days and weeks following Darlene's murder when VPD was intensely investigating the case? We first find mention of it 17 years later in a largely fictional "true" crime book written by a discredited political cartoonist. That alone makes the story highly suspect; regarding the fictional chase to BRS, the story was not told to Yellow Book by Mageau, but came second hand from Pam and Linda, Darlene's sisters, who claimed that Mageau had told them this years before. Uhh, my BS detector just went off... why did Mageau tell 2 people who could do nothing about it, but chose to keep this from the cops who could arrest the killer? Not only that, why didn't Pam and Linda bother to tell the cops? Why'd they mention this to Yellow Book, and why didn't he check with VPD about this???

It's crap like this that turns everyone off Yellow Book, and makes us suspicious of others who make similar claims about their own pet suspects, such as Hines with Kane. My BS detector went off on Hines when he started looking into Lass, stated with conviction that she was murdered and that it was a Z crime, found Kane and accused him of being Z. That's as credible as Carl looking for an RH at Washington and Cherry, finding Hunter and accusing him of being Z.

Scott_n
Username: Scott_n

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   

I should clarify. When I said we can find Kane, I'm talking about the person who was arrested in Redwood City in 1968 and who later moved to Nevada--first Tahoe and then Vegas. I am assuming those are all the same person. Other Larry Kanes will have to get in line.

Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:15 am:   

Well, considering the general sloppiness of the "investigation," who knows how many Kanes are said to be the guy arrested in Redwood City in 1968.

Stew

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:12 am:   

Ed -

Like I said. If the prints matched a suspect, it would be hard to disprove the person's connection to the crime (the matching of the prints would mean the prints were of Z - unless the suspect was also a paramedic - highly unlikely). Hence the police have an interest in keeping the prints and using them for conviction (even if they are not sure of their authenticity). If no match is found, it shouldn't disqualify the suspect as there is no real guarantee of the prints being Z's, assuming Zodiac Unmasked had this fact right (I thought he was in bed with Toschi so to speak, and it is Toschi who complains about the sloppiness at the crime scene). Please debunk this if it is wrong.

The point I am making about the stalking possibility is that we shouldn't make assumptions that box us in on Z's MO. Just because RG came up with a fictitious story about Darlene Ferrin, doesn't mean that Z definitely didn't stalk his victims. Hunters often do. It seems that Cherri Jo Bates was stalked though that could be a fiction generated by the killer who may or may not be Z.

As soon as we box ourselves in to a conclusion on Z, we stop going down any other contrary path that may lead to a surprise result. Even if we are 95% sure, given the stalemate in this case, it is quite possible that Z is outside the box he created for us in his few crimes and potentially bogus info in his letters.

I have an example. Z comitted LHR crime, right. Its a pretty established fact. Based on what? The letter he sent with a list of crime details.

As Mike Cole so discovered, Z was very pedantic about his meaning in his letters. Crossing out "complet" and writing "all control".

Well Z had 7 months to find out those crime details. When I started looking at the death of BLJ, I wanted to find out more about how she died. In the process I think I found something else (that is probably not new, but unless you find it yourself, it doesn't click).

When Z was asked for more info on LHR and BRS, he went into great detail on the re-enactment of BRS. But in adding to his LHR account he re-enacted nothing. He came up with some pencil flash light sight story thing after going into a tirade about the naughty things being said about shooting at night (NB. be aggressive, it throws people off that your story is hanging on a tenuous thread). "I sprayed THEM like a waterhose". That was bulls$@# I'm afraid. And this is in a letter where he can't afford to make an error as it would reveal him as a liar straight away. Not only is the pencil light flash less likely to work than his buss bomb, the killer never sprayed David Faraday with anything. He was shot with the barrel against his head. BLJ also was not sprayed like a waterhose. There is no way to use that light for a distance longer than 10 ft, and you need a surrounding backboard to highlight the "dark spot" in the middle. I have studied the bullet paths which I am going to repost, and this thing is complex. It can't be explained by ricocheting bullets inside her rib-cage or without her being moved after being shot.

Furthermore, the killer left David Faraday alive at the scene (its arguable whether he knew BLJ was dead). How could he be sure or know where the police found the bodies?? One mistake here and the police would have laughed him off with his "claim letter".

Added to this we have evidence that he can falsely claim in a later letter - " I shot a man in a car with a .38". This was later found to be false (unless he shot someone else - which would be a coincidence). So he lies. And he puts in an anecdote as well in the previous "My name is" letter saying "it just wouldn't doo to move in on someone elses teritory" (interesting he uses "doo" a colloquial synonym for "sh_t"). Just trying to get us to believe all his claims (including murder count).

As soon as he phoned in and announced the BRS crime, he claimed the LHR crime. By connecting these two crimes, he effectively gave the impression of random hits. If someone else comitted LHR, then they would be happy to have him falsely owning up to their crime. Certainly they wouldn't be running to the police to clear it up and confess that they were the real killer(s).

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:41 am:   

I think one key reason the police have used those prints to eliminate suspects is because with those suspects they simply haven't had anything else cogent to go on. And it's not so much that they're "eliminating" the suspects, but simply releasing them from suspicion. They certainly came back to Allen when they thought they could get something on him by a search of his property.

Stew

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   

Tom wrote

Regardless how one feels about that author, there's simply no evidence Zodiac knew/stalked Ferrin.

Tom I very much respect your knowledge of this case and realize that it may feel to you like wasted time educating people like me who are not up to scratch with the facts. Is there any evidence that Darlene Ferrin felt uncomfortable about somebody or threatened by somebody in the months prior to her death? I am not asking if this person is Z. Is every witness RG mentioned concerning this aspect a fabrication. Is Darlene's witnessed anxiety also a fabrication? Darlene's answer to MM ("never mind") is suspicious nonetheless unlesss that's also a fabrication.

Is it logical to conclude that because we don't have evidence Z was stalking his victims then that means he definitely didn't stalk his victims? I am not saying he did, however IMO we can't rule it out either.

Also IMO if Z did stalk victims, IMO he wouldn't inform us of this aspect to his MO, which is potentially a big hint on acquiring evidence. In fact I would imagine that he would do the opposite, which is what we find.

On a semi-related note, the LHR police report seems to not be the complete case file on the LHR crime. This would be understandable. Is this the situation with all the police reports on this site, ie there is or could be other pertinent info not included here?

I (and I think I can say "We") are very grateful for you providing this well-designed and information-packed website. Donation forthcoming.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   

Stew, thanks for the kind words.

The only person I recall being named in the police reports who apparently made Darlene uncomfortable was a guy named George Waters. However, he didn't fit the description of the stalker referred to in the yellow book.

If I recall correctly all of this "Darlene had a stalker" nonsense came about in the 1980s and can be traced back to some extremely unreliable sources.

Regarding police reports: I publish all that I have, unless it can't be read clearly.

Sandy

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   

I was also told by Darlene's family that Darlene did in fact tell them that someone was watching her. He was at the house on Virginia st, at the so called painting party that wasn't a painting party. He was at Terry's, and was seen parked outside of her home smoking in his white car. He was the same man who brought her presents,from Mexico. Just because it isn't in a police report, doesn't mean it didn't happen,and that the police weren't told about it. They for sure don't write everything they hear. Betty lou's mother said that someone was lurking around their house before she was killed. We don't know everything about this killer,what he thought or what he did. Kanes printing by the way, is the closest to the Zodiacs than any other suspect so far, a well known handwriting "expert" has said. Why not try and prove that he isn't,like was done with Hunter and the others ? Lets knock on his door and see how he welcomes us.I find it too much of a coincidence, that he talks in a slow and deliberate manner , walks like a duck, has all of the scars that Kathleen Johns discribed ( even though you think she wasn't picked up by the Z),it just happens that he has them. His mother was English , his father Jewish. His real name isn't Kane or Cane,so if he gave it as a clue in "My name Kane" cypher he was only toying. "DOJ" knows something about the Z having a lazy eye, not in any report you say ? Well not everything is in the reports. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ,then by gosh it is a duck !I am sorry if it looks like a chicken to you.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   

Sandy, Kathleen Johns described a man much younger than Kane would have been in 1970. If she got his age wrong, maybe she was also mistaken about other things. In any event, Kathleen eventually settled on Bruce Davis as her abductor, and he looks nothing like Kane...so go figure.

Along those same lines, the people primarily responsible for the "Darlene had a stalker" stuff were her sisters, Pam and Linda. The fact is, Pam and Linda have identified numerous men over the years as being the stalker; Kane is just one of them. William Grant is another, and not long before Linda died she e-mailed me claiming Allen was that man. Give me time and I can probably add more names to the "Darlene's stalker" list as well.

Ed_neil

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:45 am:   

If Darlene was being stalked and her family knew about it, why didn't they bother to tell the cops who could do something about finding the killer??? Why'd they tell a discredited political cartoonist about it what, a decade later??? Then some other cop named Hines comes along, looks into something that may not even be a crime that is not linked to the Z murders other than through a highly suspicious card that could have been prepared by anyone and finds some guy named Kane who he believes is Z, then suddenly, the very people who couldn't be bothered to tell VPD get all excited when this Escalon cop comes along and then all these other stories come out??? My BS detector just overloaded...

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   

Tom, I see your point and agree about Kane not being a prime suspect. I did not know that he was not listed in the investigation reports. However, would you agree that if they found DNA on Lass that was not hers, it would be compared to him after psssible elimination of prime suspect(s).

Furthermore, do you have a link to those PI reports?

Sandy

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   

The Kane I know looks to be in his mid 60's now , and in 1968 looked 30 to 35 to me. It is a crime that these witness's, picked out pictures of so many men, for what ever reason they had, it sure makes it hard to believe any of them. Linda for instance,in front of many people saw Kanes face on my tee shirt and yelled that is Kane, the man who killed my sister ! Bruce Davis looks like he could be R.Hernandez's brother, but looks nothing like Kane. I have seen the man called Kane with R Hernandez when they followed me together one day in 89 or 90.For me it is plausable that there is more than one Z connected together, and that would explain the man with the big round face, and the smaller man with the crew cut. Again I say that it has something to do with the counterfiet ring in Vallejo at that time. And those small flexable packages Darlene was receiving, was the phoney money she passed at work for them.I think she wanted out,and they "took" her out. Making it look like a random act, by killing others at random. So far if that is what happened, it has worked.The person I knew in that ring mentioned the name Dee, is why I believe this could be true.

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   

Sandy was Cal Robinson, of Lendvest/Drug Tug fame, part of that counterfeiting ring. He had served time for counterfeiting before his big hash bust in Antioch.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration