Kit Carruthers - the Anti-Zodiac Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » May 8, 1974 Citizen Letter » Kit Carruthers - the Anti-Zodiac « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:46 am:   

Zodiac had to have loathed this picture. Here is a guy that is everything Zodiac is not. He emulates James Dean. He's got a girl with him through all of his murders. Where Zodiac seems to be a pitiful reject, Kit is made out to be a sex symbol. Kit kills with little regard for his capture, while Zodiac sneaks and hides. The looks, the virility, the attention, the companionship, and the star-like persona were all things Zodiac likely craved. No wonder he wanted the advertising pulled. He was being upstaged again, by the same types he has always envied and hated.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

I'd previously been unaware of the history and story of the movie. I'd just assumed that it was another generic 70's action movie. I agree with you that Zodiac must have been green with envy and genuinely wanted it pulled from the paper. Good insight!

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   

Yarbchris,

This thought has crossed my mind too. IIRC, early in the movie there a line of narration similar to: "Kit could have any girl he wanted." Toward the end, Kit is so charismatic and personable, the police can't help but like him after he's been captured. The character was a serial killer (and thus encroached on Z's turf), yet he possessed all the characteristics that drove Z to lash out at society in the first place. I can easily imagine Z having a problem with this movie...

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   

Here is the original trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNoPmj6xcE0

Warren Oates is one of my favorite actors.

Stew
Username: Stew

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

though I haven't seen the movie, I believe, on the contrary, that this is the exact portrayal that Z would love to have the public believe in. Are you saying that Z would rather have seen a movie where the serial killer's character was a snivelling reject? Everyone wants their character in a movie to be portrayed as a hero. Even though this was not meant to portray Z, why wouldn't he enjoy the depiction of a serial killer as a hero?? The May 8, 1974 letter-writer was conveying that murder should not be glorified. Z saw a lot of glory in his killing. He probably thought movie-goers could have reasoned that maybe Z wasn't the evil outcast that they had assumed.

Stew
Username: Stew

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

Why would it have been assumed in 1974 that Z had hopeless experiences with girls? As it is in all likelihood probable that he did, this movie would have fed the illusion that he was more like Kit, something he would have loved himself and the public to believe.

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:51 am:   

It's a good point, that Z would seemingly be supportive of anything that portrayed serial killers in a favorable light. However, since this was based on a true story (at least generally,) I think it's a good possibility that Zodiac would have been simply jealous, rather than supportive.

In life, I doubt that geeks watch the jocks get easy grades, girls, and adoration, and applaud them with the reasoning that it makes it easier for them to attain the same things. The runner up in any contest isn't always thrilled with the perks that the winner receives.

I think it's also possible that Zodiac had wild mood swings and bi-polar-type issues, which opens up the possibility that he would become a sincere finger-wagging-puritan on occasion. Perhaps this was an expression of such a period. Similarly, I've heard that the BTK Killer was a neighborhood association enforcer, and was relentless in his criticism of trash cans and lawns. How's that for hypocritical?

Of course, this debate hinges on an acceptance of the Citizen letter as being from Zodiac, and him being honest in his expression of opinion. Both of which are shaky conclusions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration