Postal workers on alert. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » General Letter Discussion » Postal workers on alert. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:17 am:   

Zodiac sent 14 cards and letters in a row that were post marked San Francisco, so it would seem that after the 4th or 5th letter, the investgators would have ask the Postal inspector to put all postal workers in the San Francisco postmark area on alert.

I would think Zodiac used the big blue metal sidewalk drop boxes to deposit his letters, thus those postal workers could have checked letters at each drop box for those that did not have a return address and for similar hand writing. This could have givin the investigators a fix on a particular drop box to stake out, or if anything get an idea of zodiacs general location.

I know this is hindsight, but?

Jbheath
Username: Jbheath

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   

Hawk:
I have often wondered that same thing. Because mail was not as volumness as it is today. So in my opinion it would have been easy to check.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   

I doubt Z was stupid enough to use the same mailbox. It's always been my opinion that he lived in (or near) Vallejo, and so mailing things in SF would make far more sense, since there were far more places to drop mail than could be reasonably staked out by the police (or postal workers, for that matter). Since Z mailed things at irregular intervals anyway, that would make a stakeout very expensive and highly ineffective.

Hawk

Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 10:07 am:   

Ed, Hartnell claimed (LB police report,pg24) "he did not seem well educated".lol

Look at it this way, the Postal workers would have been doing most of the work by simply taking a little extra time to look through the letters at each drop box, thus no extra cost. Then, "IF" one or two particular drop boxs were being used by zodiac then the detectives could have staked them out. The detectives were staking out lovers lanes so why not drop boxes?

Think about the overall cost investigating zodiac. 4-5 police agencies, FBI and the extra security men that were hired to monitor the school buses after the bomb threat. The list goes on. But you don't think the postal thing would be cost effective and or a logical thing to try?

Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   

Sure, but I did it really happen?

Hawk

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:20 am:   

Not from what i've read.

Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   

Exactly. Apparently SFPD and/or the post office never thought of it, or decided that it wouldn't be cost effective. Interesting idea, but oh well...

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   

What if Z -only at certain times-used a little drop box office located in S.F.(using an alias for his personal drop info account)in S.F.?They would remail letters,boxes,etc.,with NO questions asked.

Z would not even have to be in S.F.!All he had to do to get a S.F. postmark (or any other location postmark)was to mail a 'Z letter' enclosed in a larger envelope addressed to the drop box office in S.F.and the guy forwards or mails it from any mailbox to the S.F.address or other address(even his LA Times letter!)as given on the envelope complete with postmark.

The envelopes were for the most part plain with no return address,etc.Some are somewhat srange,but those guys could care less.
Maybe this is one reason why he wrote "Rush" on some envelopes-so that the drop guy would quickly forward or remail it.!All FYI

Could this validate or factor in Tom's postulate that Z mailed his 10/13/69 letter as a prewritten letter?See his remarks.
Most of those guys were extreme secrecy buffs for various reasons and everyone's info was kept secret.No questions asked.Just send them the monthly fee.They would have no idea who you were-they didn't care anyway.

I did a study on drop boxes.Some guys use them to avoid alimony and /or child support.A friend would get a letter from the errant 'runner'with a Tampa,FL.postmark and if it or the letter were found out by the ex-wife and her lawyers they won't be able to trace it to his real address,say in MN!

You can get a drop for a small fee today to increase your privacy,etc.

All anti-detection publications recommended them to avoid being ID'd.

OK,now who wants one and why?

Hawk

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 5:23 am:   

Howard, if the Postal inspector got involved with the case, i don't think he would have limited his search for the Z letters to just the big drop boxes and would have the little boxes checked also, and i think that would be a sure fire way of getting caught because of the billing address.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration