Button/Phillips 66 letter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » June 26, 1970 Button Letter » Button/Phillips 66 letter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   

The past couple days I've been looking at some of the more egregious spelling errors in Z's letters. One of the first that came to mind was his spelling bus with two s's on the Phillips 66 letter.
What immediately jumped out at me was that Z capitalized "School Buss." SB made me think of Santa Barbara and the Domingoes/Edwards murders.
I then noticed the next line "But now school is out for the summer, so I punished them in an another way." This too seemed to fit the D/E murders as the victims were out of school and the murderer had to abandon his plan to stab them - having to kill them by gunshot and later attempting to set their bodies on fire.

Ericd

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   

I then looked at the map "coupled" with this letter. Since he used a Phillips 66 map, I decided that the 6 on the hand drawn compass rose/Zodiac symbol was what was important (ie the line pointing south). I then set O to Magnetic North (which was 16 to 17 degrees east at the time the letter was written)and extended the line labeled 6 all the way down to just off the coast of Calif right by Gaviota Beach (the site of the D/E murders)

Ericd

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   

Go back to the handwritten part of this letter. Notice that the zodiac symbol / scorecard is not at its customary position at the bottom of the page. Now notice that the line in the crosshairs pointing south or at the 6 o'clock position points directly to the word "coupled."

Ericd

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   

Next, take a look at the end of the Little List letter Zodiac sent exactly a month after the Phillips 66 letter.
He draws a very large Zodiac symbol and adds a PS about the Mt. Diablo code.
Notice that the circle part of the symbol starts and ends at the 6 o'clock position. Z typically starts and ends the circle at the 1 o'clock position.
The writing is also at the 6 o'clock and an s and a b are on each side of the line.

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   

Ericd,

I've made many of the same observations, mostly here (the formatting got messed up somewhere along the line...) although some pieces are elsewhere.

The problem with the Santa Barbara part of your theory is that the 6 position does NOT get close to Santa Barbara. It hits the coast around Santa Cruz.

Ericd

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   

Mike,
I just went through it again and you're right (darn it!) My mistake was setting the declination 17 degrees west instead of east.

I'm glad you agree there is some significance to the 6 o'clock position on the Zodiac symbol. I think it's worth more scrutiny.

Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   

Ericd,

I definitely agree. Now more than when I started the above thread, I believe the given solution to the cipher is either correct or nearly correct. However, even if the solution is completely wrong, there is clearly, IMO, a deliberate effort on Z's part to draw attention to the 6 position.

Ericd

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   

I'll probably get ripped on this due to my error above... but I feel it could definitely be legit and would like some feedback.

The 6 o'clock line pointed so close to Gaviota Beach when I used 17 degrees west for the declination, that I didn't want to give up on it. I thought I'd look for a clue suggesting I should use the mirror image or opposite of 17 degrees east (ie the 17 degrees west that I want to use.)
I found a clue to do just this and feel it is legit because it is really the most glaring error on this letter. This is the sentence I'm talking about:

"so I punished them in an another way..."

The "an" obviously shouldn't be there, suggesting that the "an" in "another" also shouldn't be there. Remove the an in "another way" and you've got "other way."

So the instructions are... with the figure on top of Mt Diablo, set 0 to magnetic north (17 degrees east) but go the other way (17 degrees west). Follow the 6 line (for all the reasons outlined in previous posts) and arrive at Gaviotta Beach.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   

Magnetic north is 17 east of north. Why would you want to go west instead (contrary to what Z said to do), other than because it kinda works? Also, the map and code have nothing to do with SB, they have to do with a bus bomb. Why would you use it for something other than what it was designed for?

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 3:13 am:   

Ed,
I would definitely appreciate your scrutiny and feedback on this.
This is something I've stumbled across the last couple days, so its kinda been a work in progress. I really do feel I'm on to something, though, and just found more that I believe backs this up in the Kathleen Johns letter.
To accept this theory, I agree that you would have to also accept the Bus Bomb as a ruse - I'll try to convince you...
First I'll post a recap of what I see in the Phillips letter and then I'll make a post on what I've found in the Kathleen Johns letter. I'll make this as concise as possible.

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 4:09 am:   

One additional thing, I believe it would be very helpful to have a copy of the letters in front of you, so you can see what I'm talking about. I will try to be concise here, as I went into more detail above.

Starting with the Phillips Map. Zodiac labels the compass rose with 0,3,6,9. The important one is the 6 as this is a Phillips 66 Map. This is backed up with the PS at the end of the Little List letter. Notice how the PS is written at the 6 position of the Zodiac symbol. Notice also how the circle part of the symbol starts and ends at the 6 postion.

Now look at the Zodiac symbol on the written letter accompaning the Phillips Map. The six position is right above the word "coupled" or that 6 line points right at "couple"

There are only a few "mistakes" in this letter. They are:

promiced
anilating
School Buss (an error with extra s and un-needed capitalization)
an another

Bus with two s's is an atrocious error that should really focus someone to that area. The capital S and B there are for Santa Barbara.

The second really bad "error" was "...in an another way..." It should say "...in an other way..."
This is the instruction for going the "other way" when setting 0 to magnetic north.

The topics mentioned in between "School Buss" and "an another" also relate back to Santa Barbara. School was out and the victims were punished in another way - with the victims being shot and burned after things went wrong.

The misspelled words I believe are so key to this, so it's fair that I mention all the other errors (Maybe someone else can see something)

"promiced" - I have nothing for this yet.
"anilating" - a possibility. Another misspelled word with "an" at the start could focus one on the "an another" error.

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 5:00 am:   

Now to his next letter, the Kathleen Johns one sent one month later.

The theme of this letter is the starting of his list (or, I believe, telling us about his first murders).

These are the only "errors":

woeman
intersting
coupple
howers

The important area is the 7th and 8th lines. This is where "howers" occurs (once again this is gross and obvious misspelling and clued me in with "how"). This is what those two lines look like, with capitalization for my emphasis:

For a COUPPLE HOWers ONE
evening a few MONTHs BACK that

The "errors" make "couple how..." and then the instructions... "one month back"
The Phillips letter was sent a month before and contained how to get to the location of the "couple"
Also notice the start of this important section (on the same line as coupple howers).
You'll have to look at the letter to appreciate this (and this is really a clincher for me). "for" has a very distinct circle, which is no accident, at the intersection of the lines in the "f". This makes for a "hidden" Zodiac crosshair symbol and the circle portion is drawn more toward the 6 position.

There are only two errors that don't play a part in this (maybe someone can find a different reason for these two errors than I'll propose, but I think this makes sense)

"intersting" needs an "e"
"woeman" has that extra "e"
an extra little puzzle courtesy of Z.

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 5:24 am:   

One thing I forgot to mention in the post above about the Kathleen Johns letter. I believe Z is trying to clue us in to the start of his "murder list" and I believe the start was with the couple in Santa Barbara that, unfortunately, ended up being burned. "Burning" is, of course, mentioned in this Kathleen Johns letter

A couple possibilities: Zodiac did not kidnap Johns but saw the story in the paper, liked that it ended in burning, and claimed it so he could allude to burning. Or
Z burnt Johns' car so that he could allude to burning (and therefore his first murders) in a letter. Otherwise, this (burning the car) was pretty inexplicable behavior.

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 9:08 am:   

Eric,
The map coupled with the code will tell you where the bomb is "SET".
You have until next fall to dig it "UP"

Set that letter up the same way as I've done with the Belli letter(punctuation). Ignore the introduction(seperate) and begin with "I have become very "UPSET"

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   

Sean,
How much are you counting after the punctuation.
I've tried 6 and 12 with no luck.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   

Eric,
Use all punctuation , full stops and commas. Just re-write the letter down as far as the break with the symbol.
I have become....(keep going)
They have not.....
I promiced....
by anilating...
but now school....
So i punished them...
I shot a man....

Have a look around when you're finished and see what you come up with. Belli... exact same principle

Sean

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   

Reproduce it here if you like and I'll point it out if you don't see it.

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   

I see "cave school"

Is there more I'm missing? I suck at anagrams!

If there is more, I'll post the setup.

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   

Sean,
I'm still working on it...
So far I see
"hit area" definitely-column 3
"go to die" very probable - column 11
Is "east" in column 8 and "south" in column 2?

Had you noticed the "cave school" in column 7? It caught my eye since it is only there with the misspelled c in promiced.

Can you clue me in by giving additional columns to look in?

I did this trick on the next letter (Kathleen Johns) and quickly got "Lee"!
Did you figure this out for the entire Little List?!

Ericd

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   

Sean,
I've got "hit area" column 3 and "to go dive" in column 11 and into 12. If there's more, you'll have to point them out to me.

The beautiful part of the two I listed above is that they aren't even anagrammed! Also, I knew just where to look for them with Z's .38 clue!!

Ericd

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   

Sean,
The other beautiful part of your find is that it explains the two spelling errors that I couldn't account for in my theory!

Could you please take a good look and give me feedback on what I've posted here about this letter pointing to the couple murdered outside Santa Barbara. I am absolutely convinced that it makes complete sense. It also plays by all the "rules" you've set down in your theory!

Ericd

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   

One more find to support my conclusions.

The added in # sign on the PS of the little list. Mike pointed out how odd it was for this # sign to be squeezed in there and he's right, it's a clue.
Remember I'm saying the 6 line points at the couple. Well couple is a number, right!

Z then draws an arrow right below, pointing at the # sign!!!!

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   

Eric,
What hit me about this originally were the last two sentence endings. "where the bomb is SET"/ you have until next fall to dig it UP".
I thought the use of the word "set" was off.I thought he had better choices such as where the bomb is located/hidden/buried. "Set" went more to the mechanism.
Notice then it's the first time he uses the word "UPSET" on the first line...I wondered if there was a link upset/set up!
Reading downward (column 18) from the "S" in Set, you also have "SET" linked to "School".
Was he saying it was set at a school?
If so, what School?
School is mentioned twice in the letter and if you go to column 7 (you have already spotted it/the reason for two of the misspellings is "CAVE" again connected to "School".
Of course this is where Allen worked. Right beside that in cloumn 5 is the word "Bail" connected to "NOW"
Cave School/Bail now/SET School.
If you take the other error "in an another" again connected in column 18, you have SET/SCHOOL/FAN

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   

Note also the "lied" in complied crosses "Set" in column 18. Maybe that goes to your theory!
And at the end of "school" connected to "Cave" are a group of letters spelling "Leigh"

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   

What I keep saying about this theory and what continues to impress me is not only that these messages appear, using the same methodology,but they also appear in a manner related to the topic of each letter.
In the first cipher we have LEE ALLEN I.D and Z has said his identity was in the cipher.
We also have LEE ALLEN I.E (in other words) and that what he would have been doing hiding his name in other words.
In Belli we have "LEE ALLEN IL" and the letter spoke of needing help and implying that he was ILL.
Here it concerns a bomb threat and we have "Cave School" where Allen worked.
The exorcist "plunging into a billowy wave" and there it is again and Allen had previously worked at "the Plunge". Each time it's not only there, but mirrors the premise of each communication.
I really do not have control over these thing, what you adopt the methodology, I have no control over what come out, but it's there, time and time again.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   

Apologies for the errors!

Ericd

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   

Sean,
I always love your reasoning but
I DON'T THINK YOU'VE REALLY LOOKED AT THE WHOLE OF MY THEORY!!

You have CONVINCED me of your overall theory to the point that I'm ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY SURE that Allen was Zodiac!

I believe I've used the EXACT methods you've outlined.

I believe your theory is right on, consistent, and straightforward!

I think so few have supported it or are providing feedback is because they can't SEE what you're talking about and they give up.

I took the time to read all the way through your posts, print out the various letters, plot out what you were talking about, and see exactly what you'd found.

I'd REALLY appreciate it if you'd do the same with my theory above, because I'm sure of what I see.
The one assumption you have to make is that the Santa Barbara murders were Z's first murders.

I believe the concealment cipher you pointed out backs up everything I'm saying. I'm not discounting what you've pointed out but look at column 3 and 11!!!!! which connects to .38 - "hit area, to go dive" !!!!!

Sean

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 4:25 am:   

Eric,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been tied up with other things.

Anyway, the are two problems I have with your theory, Ed has already pointed out one,(including accepting that "in an another way" would account for this) and secondly, getting from School Buss to Santa Barbara takes a leap of faith.
There is no doubt that the SB murders are a strong possibility as being the work of Z, but as strong as that is and as much as it should be looked at, it's still not nailed on( ever though I belive strongly that it was).
That said,(whether I'm right or wrong)I personally believe that the definite murders that we can attribute to Zodiac exist within themselves in terms of this case. In other words, while Z may have committed others (this one and CJB are the only ones I consider)they were not part of this for him.
Bottom line at the moment, I wouldn't rule out your theory, but I'd need more to be convinced.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

Mike,
Santa Cruz was where Elaine Davis was found.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:02 am:   

Ericd, these may or may not help in advancing your theories:

"promiced" = "iced" as in killed.
"School Buss" calls to mind the Bussy Work Zodiac gave the cops.
"Anilating" has me recall Z's boast that his stove oil and fertilizer mix would "positively ventilate" people. He sure seems "elated" over the thought.

And I really do like your theory about "in an another way" as it fits my thoughts about having to turn Z ciphers backwards, upside down, and generally in any which way but the conventional layout of English language to get at the secret messages.

From your secret pal

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Here is the setup of the top part of this letter as a concealment cipher (a new line starts with each period or comma). I'm adding capitals in areas for emphasis. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get these things to line up perfectly - it's much easier to see on graph paper! I had to add a couple spaces to make things line up correctly.

IhAveBEcomEVeryupSetwiththepeopleofsaNfranbayarea
ThEyhAVenoTcompliEdwithmywichesfortheMtowearsome
IpRomICedtOpunishThemiftheydidnotcompLy
byAn iLAtinGafullschoolbuss
BuTnowschoOlisoutforthesummer
soIpunis heDtheminananotherway
IsHotamansIttinginaparkedcarwitha.38

Ericd

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

I think it makes sense that the numbers 38 and 12 are additional clues that tell which columns to look in.
column 3 reading up - "hit area"
column 11(3+8)and into 12,reading down - "to go dive"
column 38, reading up - "lmn" (coincidence?)

column 8 (which, I believe, should be important)is "ceetcsa" - possibly anagrammed as "east cec"? Any suggestions?

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   

Reading that "ceetcsa" as a rebus, could be "Seas To Seas - A." (ee = e's, so it generates its own "s" sound in there) Don't know where you're taking this, Ericd, but "seas to seas" kinda matches up with "to go dive."

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:09 am:   

Mike Cole,

I had seen this post of yours before but never read through it carefully: http://www.zodiackiller.com/mba/zc/1363.html

Great work! I always enjoy reading your stuff. You make reference to your Zodiac Circle Theory but the link on the archived message board is broken.

Any chance you could repost this, perhaps in the "Zodiac Theories" thread?

Thanks.

Mike_cole

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   

Deoxys,

I'm currently very busy so I'll just give you the link here:

http://www.mikecole.org/zodiac/two_theories/latest /

The analysis is a bit dated. In particular I now believe the fire and rope quadrants are reversed partly due to some of the observations made in the thread you referenced.

Thanks for the comments and the interest.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration