SLA letter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » Unconfirmed Zodiac Letters » SLA letter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

This letter can be viewed at: http://members.aol.com/Jakewark/SLA.html

Simple solution that explains all oddities (ie the greeting and the cursive "sla")...

"Near Mr. Editor" -> Near ME
"sla" is very close to ala (sorry, I'm going there!)
"sla" is written in cursive because a cursive "s" looks very much like a cursive "a" !

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   

The sla letter with envelope came from my collection.I got a copy from Z expert Dave Peterson who thought it was from Z.So do I.

There is an upper case D or "Dear Mr.Editor."It is cut off by copying.

The 1/29/74 Z "note" was probably written in response to the black muslim killing(CM said , "The heavy dudes,though,are the black muslims.They'll be the ones who bring the sh*t down...a full on war...they'll be hiding in their basements with all kinds of weapons and srategies..." FYI)of whites as per det.Toschi.

After a silence of some four years Z suddenly comes to the surface right during the black muslim attacks which was being mentioned in all the news headlines.
See the Zebra murders.

I think we have the same thing or factor here-the abduction of white Patricia Hearst by the SLA(CM according to author Jess Bravin"...continued to interpret everything outside as a harbinger of the coming revolution... CM wrote:"The SLA fire...was our fire and it is locked in the Universe...CM...even touched on the numerological significance of the telephone number at Spahn ranch,which,he explained,had foretold the nine[the number nine was of importance to them]murders of which he would be convicted."This shows his interest in numbers as symbolic)a black led group.

Although rare,Z had mentioned a current event in the past such as the bomb blast that killed sgt.B.McDonnell 2/16/70;so he could have had an interest in the SLA kidnapping and their other violent misdeeds and as he did in '70(4/20/70) he mentions another current event or group and sent it on Valentine's Day!All FYI

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:09 am:   

Howard,
I don't see how the top of the "D" could be cut off while the rest of the greeting (Mr Editor) is intact and sits higher up on the page than the "D".

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   

Could be that whoever copied it, in order to ensure the lines were more horizontal for easier reading, rotated the letter a bit to give it that appearance. Hence the top of the D can be cut off, but the rest of the line appears higher, right where the cut would be.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   

Has this letter ever been checked out by a handwriting expert? It looks pretty consistent with other Z letters, particularly the envelope, but there just isn't enough info., IMO, to say whether it is genuine.

IF this and the Exorcist letter are genuine, it would be interesting commentary about Z as a person. He pops up after a three year hiatus to comment on two current events- a movie about demon possession and a radical leftist organization promoting a Black revolution.

As Howard writes, this would be an interesting connection to the Manson ideology. The Diggers, by the way, also shared Manson's support for a "Black revolution", if not his wacky beliefs on how this would occur.

http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/huey.htm

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   

Howard, to which newspaper was this letter written?

Why call the recipient "Mr. Editor" when customary English (for no reason I can think of) is to address such person merely as "Dear Editor."

And signing off as "a friend" guarantees your letter, no matter how sage, will never be printed; only signed letters with an address of the sender get published, for legal reasons.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   

J eric, The address is to the S.F. Chronical.I don't believe the Zodiac letters to any of the papers had his address on the envelopes,yet they were printed. Who knows why Z did anything for sure ? I am with Howard,it looks very much like Z's printing, check out that spacing between the letters,it's the same. Not many people knew that the z had a strange way of spacing his printing and using cursive mixed in with it.I think there are a lot more Z notes out there that were thought of as fakes and weren't. We have no way of knowing because it is one mans oppinion,and how do we know how good is he ? The best one is no longer with us.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   

I agree, Sandy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other genuine letters (especially later ones) were ignored and lost forever.

Many of BTK's communications were initially ignored or nearly lost to the point where Dennis Rader began anally numbering them and asking for confirmation that they were received. I'm honestly surprised that the Exorcist letter, with no return address, no "this is the Zodiac speaking" and no symbol didn't wind up being ignored or tossed in the shredding bin.

Ratman
Username: Ratman

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   

It was "signed yours truely" and had his count (37-0) so they probably didn't want to take the chance that it wasn't him. I have bigger problems with "The Red Phantom" letter (verrry different writing), and the "L.A." letter (Atkins,Gates,etc. never came close to being "Z" victems).

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   

Almost immediately after his first successful kill as the Unabomber, (December, 1985) Ted Kaczynski mailed a letter to the San Francisco Examiner, taking credit for the crime and admitting to a number of earlier bombing attempts. The letter must have been completely overlooked, because it never saw the light of day until after Kaczynski's capture, when a copy was found in his cabin. As the Unabomber, Kaczynski referenced the letter in a 1995 letter to Penthouse. The 1985 original was probably chucked into the trash by some perfunctory editorial assistant for not having a return address or telephone number. I can well imagine that some of Zodiac's letters were handled in the same way.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   

Ooops, I see the envelope now!! Well, of course an unsigned letter with the Zodiac symbol would have drawn attention - this little "sla" note might not have been obvious to a secretary or editorial assistant, as Douglas surmises.

And even if this letter is by a "copycat", there is still the perplexing question of - why pretend you're Zodiac, putting every cop hot on your trail? For just one unimportant rambling?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration