Black envelope? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » Oct. 27, 1970 Halloween Card » Black envelope? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   

HC

In the above photo of the Halloween card, what appears to be a black envelope can also be seen. Perhaps it was included with the card, but kept a secret by police?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   

On second look, I guess it could be a second card...maybe a duplicate of the first, but without the extras Zodiac added. Still, it's odd that it appears to be stored with the evidence.

Another possibility is that someone else received a Halloween card. Perhaps Melvin Belli?

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   

Tom,
Johns told me she got a Halloween card from Z in October of 1970 and later sent it to Paul Avery.
Did it end up in evidence?

Also,your discovery of the enclosed two stickers in the Halloween card was a good one!

L2829tad
Username: L2829tad

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Under magnification,it seems to be a booklet of some sort.JMHO.You never cease to amaze Tom,more brainfood.Thanks..Your friend....thardu..

L2829tad
Username: L2829tad

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:51 am:   

Not an envelope.When measured,the card(when folded in half)would not fit in whatever it is.

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   

It looks like it has a child's face on it to me.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   

An excellent SFPD source told me his guess was that it is something to hold the negatives in. But he wasn't sure.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   

Tom,

Do you have any photos of the other side of the Halloween card? I'm still very curious whether the pasted on skeleton was cut from another source or possibly drawn/created by Z himself. Am I correct in presuming that the source of Z's more anatomically correct skeleton has never been found?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:53 am:   

Sorry Deoxys, I have no others. Yet.

Dunno about the skeleton.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   

It looks like a envelope to me with a stamp in a odd place. I took a measurement of it and the card would have fit with some room left over. If it was a envelope and it was painted black, I would be interested in knowing if it was done with black ink or shoe polish ?

Joanne_in_mb
Username: Joanne_in_mb

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   

Sandy, the archived board is down, but I remember that you once wrote about the black hood which you found in your car. The hood bore a striking resemblance to -- and possibly was -- the executioner's costume that Z wore at Lake Berryessa. When you found the hood in your car, I remember you said that you didn't think much about it... because this was BEFORE the newspapers had published a description of the Lake B disguise. But wasn't your impression that the hood was NOT made of fabric... but rather of paper which was painted with black ink or shoepolish? Perhaps this was a technique Z was familiar with.

http://www.JoAnnesPage.net

Juno
Username: Juno

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:15 am:   

I think those may be photocopies of the card.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:02 am:   

When I enlarge the black square, I see a woman's face below the odd sticker, stamp thing. Funny thing is you can see a face pointing in two different directions, yet it is the same anomaly.

Bababijan
Username: Bababijan

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:22 am:   

I have a similar question from Tom and Dr. Davis so I just present it here in one post instead of two. Here it is:

Did Kathleen Johns ever mention to you that her Halloween greeting card from Zodiac contained two small pink stickers?

Please keep me up-to-date on this matter so I can bring some life back to this thread.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   

She didn't remember many details when I interviewed her, so no.

Bababijan

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   

Tom, I thank you for the quick response.

Now I have to wait for the verdict from Dr. Davis.

Howard_davis

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   

Baba,
She told me that all she remembered was that she got a "Halloween card" in 1970 around October after the abduction and hand written inside the card was,'To the lady in the blue(?)station wagon'or words to this effect.
She knew that there had been no mention of the color and make of her car or wagon,actually,in press reports,so she felt this card was from the man who took she and her daughter on the 'terror ride.'
She knew the card was an implied threat.

This same man-she believed-had called her home and threatened her,etc.

I asked what she did with the card and she said she"mailed it to Paul Avery."This was after the interview she did with him.
The only 'new' piece of possible evidence given to Avery was that the driver had acne scars(she told this to GS some years later)on his chin.She could see the scars in the light of the full moon that evening.

By the time we got to her she was forgetting some elements of the incident.We know now she had arteriosclerosis which can affect memory.She was in poor health then.
She said that the GS account was 'good,'she was in pretty good health then.

We contacted Avery sometime before he passed away and he said he had no recollection of getting this card,although mail was sometimes lost for one reason or another.He had a lot going on during this time.

She just knew it was a Halloween card,but so much time had passed she was unable to give a lot of details.

If this was Zodiac he may have been attempting to use the card along with his own writing inside the card with the inside info about her wagon to verify he was the one responsible for KJ's abduction.
He may have even thought that the police held back this info at the time.

Sorry,but this is all I know at this time.

Bababijan

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:22 am:   

Dr. Davis, I thank you for all your juicy tidbits.

I will get to work so I can keep you posted.

Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   

Bababijan,
As to the real "tidbits-"it WAS our'det.'Tom that located the 10/27/70 Halloween card's two stickers!A great find as usual!
He really hasn't gotten the full credit he deserves for much of his great Z discoveries.
Thanks Tom!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration