Bus Bomb Letter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » Nov. 9, 1969 Bus-Bomb Letter » Bus Bomb Letter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   

I read Howard's book "Zodiac Manson Connection" and was intrigued by the numerology and Beatles aspects Howard presented. Howard has an entire column in the index devoted to the Beatles. Revolution9 was an anthem for Helter Skelter. With that in mind this is what I found in the Bus Bomb Letter.

The Bus Bomb letter is the only multi-page letter to have numbered pages. On page 3/6 (3+6=9) in the text there are numbers when added together work out to 9.

10 min
150 ft
2 cops
3 min
5 to
10 min
_______
180 1+8+0=9

with the page # added in the total would be 189 1+8+9=18 1+8=9

In numerology it would be written
1+0+1+5+0+2+3+5+1+0=18 1+8=9
with the page #
1+0+1+5+0+2+3+5+1+0+3+6=27 2+7=9

The letter was postmarked Nov.9,1969. November is so named as the ninth month of the ancient Roman year, which began with March.

The Beatles connection to this is Paul McCartney's alleged death date in the "Paul is dead hoax" was Nov. 9,1966.

http://beatlesnumber9.com/dead.html

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 9:42 am:   

Seagull,

I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to numerology but the Nov. 9 connection is quite interesting. So perhaps Z was writing to the Chronicle on Nov. 9, 1969 to reaffirm that Paul is dead- Paul Stine that is...

Maybe EBecker knew something when he voted for "John Lennon on acid" as a Z suspect!

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

Deoxys Anyone would be a skeptic about numerology after reading Baba's drivel. What ever he was doing it wasn't numerology.
I'm glad you saw the two Paul's connection.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   

You're right about that, Seagull. What Baba did was called "forcing a solution in accordance with a preconceived notion" (yes, I just made that up right now, but that is precisely what he did).

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   

That's called a FASIAWAPN.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   

http://www.kevin-moore.com/gallery/displayimage.ph p?pid=449&fullsize=1

http://www.kevin-moore.com/gallery/displayimage.ph p?pid=450&fullsize=1

1) The bomb in Zodiac’s diagram is set up to go off at either 9 am or 9 pm, but since he was supposedly targeting “kiddies” it would be safe to assume it is 9 am.

2) The bomb has to set up within 12 hours of detonation.

3) The idea here is that when the small hand “G” hits 9 o’clock, the bomb is not set off, but is activated so that if certain other conditions are met, only then will it explode. At 9 o’clock, the flash light is turned on and the relay is engaged at the same time. A constant beam from flashlight “A” is reflected off mirror “H” and into the photo sensor “B” keeping the relay engaged. The sole purpose of 6 volt battery “E” is to keep the flashlight beam lit, while 6 volt battery “D” is entirely dedicated toward igniting the bombs. The igniter(s) most likely consisting of a very fine wire coiled like a light bulb element.

4) Once engaged, flashlight “A” requires a constant light beam being ON to prevent detonation. It’s only when the light is switched OFF that the bombs will explode. Using a clock prevents trucks and other large vehicles (in theory) that may pass by the site earlier from setting off the bomb. The clock also prevents drain of the battery which supplies energy to the flashlight, as well as preventing unnecessary attention that a constantly lit flashlight would bring.

Why the bomb wouldn’t work

While the theory and wiring of the bomb was sound, in practice this was impractical to carry out for three main reasons. First, setting the correct angles for the flashlight, sensor, not to mention mounting the mirror would have been extremely tricky. It would have meant time spent along both sides of the road which definitely would have attracted the attention of passing cars while setting up. Second, it’s questionable that the flashlight beam would have been strong enough to keep the sensor activated from the distances shown. The third and most important reason is that when the clock hit 9 o’clock position, both flashlight and the relay are engaged simultaneously. There would have been a very good chance that if things didn’t work out exactly perfect, the bomb would explode before the flashlight had become fully lit.

Conclusions that can be drawn:

1) The Zodiac spent serious time thinking about this. He also mentioned it in more than one letter; he probably really wanted to make it work. Had his sound theory been practical, he most likely would have carried his threat out.

2) The Zodiac had an above average knowledge of electrical circuitry. This can be shown by his correct use of jumpers on the schematic, the wiring of the bombs in a parallel circuit, and by his understanding of how to wire a relay as well as a photo sensor.

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   

Kevin,

Your observations and conclusions are similar to my own. I wrote up a description of this and the other bomb circuit on the archived MB. It's apparently not available on this site at the moment, but it can be found here.

One note, the Zodiac was definitely aware of the relative timing constraint that you raise in your third point. It's accounted for in the circuit in two ways: (a) the flashlight contacts are positioned slightly lower than the bomb contacts such that the flashlight turns on first, and (b) the flashlight "tab" is longer than the bomb tab and thus the bomb turns off first. It's interesting to note that Z makes the flashlight tab quite a bit longer than the bomb tab. This, in fact, would be required because the tab has to account for both the extra "pre-arm" time and the "post-arm" time.

As you say, Z definitely had some knowledge of circuits and he invested a non-trivial amount of time thinking about his "design". The latter point is further evidenced by the theoretical improvements between the first and the second bomb circuits. On the other hand, his inability to provide specificity with respect to detonation (i.e. blasting caps) suggests he was not especially experienced with explosives.

Kevin

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:05 am:   

Hi Mike,

I had never seen your explaination. I think your correct about the contacts. I was always at a loss as to what the medium dash, short dash, and longer dash represented at the bottom and side of the diagram but perhaps he is refering to the timing of the contacts here. It makes sense as he refers to leaf springs, which is nothing more than a flat bent piece of thin copper as one would see in a battery compartment of your TV remote control, etc. It's condusive to sliding.

This also brings out another error in the yellow book where he says it is based on a teletype machine circuit - rubbish again. Ed, add that to your list.

I don't think he needed blasting caps or that was his intention. Do you know the ignitors in model rocket engines? A very thin wire and when a current is placed across it, it turns red hot. That's all you need. Notice he says "1 bag each." Earlier in the same letter his says, "take one bag of amonium nitrate fertilizer...." etc. This is basically the same kind of bomb that Timothy McVeigh used and we know what kind of results that had. I conclude that he probably did play around with explosives a bit as he further states, "it will positively ventalate anything...", it's like he has had the experience. This was pre-internet days so in order to learn this information he had to be a little more pro-active in searching it out than a person would now. An intersting angle to look at would be to try and research what books at the time had explanations of this.

While it's not rocket science, it's not average either. So whether it be his hobby (i.e. ham radio) or his occupation, it is a very safe bet that he had to have some kind of schooling or background in electronics. Big revelation? No, but with so little to go on, it's nice to know a few basic facts. I do actually think this could rule in and out certain people.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:12 am:   

The first bomb looks similar to Ted Kaczynski's American Airlines bomb of 1979, described in the Turchie Affidavit:

"The fuzing system consisted of four C-cell batteries wired to a modified barometer switch and a loop switch to two improvised wooden dowel initiators. The device was contained in a homemade wooden box with a lid hinged at the rear. The barometer switch was designed to initiate the device as the aircraft gained altitude. The device also contained a second fuzing system which was an anti-open switch which would activate the device upon opening its lid."

Kaczynski didn't have schooling in electronics, as far as I know, but then he was quite adept in a number of areas where he didn't have regular formal training, such as literature and chemistry. Of all his bombs, including the early ones with their fairly primitive explosves, only one turned out to be a dud. The electronics of the devices were never an issue with him.

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   

Kevin,

A blasting cap, or similar initiator, would be required. The model rocket engines you describe are intended to burn and in the process create the force necessary to propel the rocket. For this, an igniter that gets red hot is sufficient. However, in order to create an explosion using the type of explosive described by Z, it is not sufficient to apply heat directly. One must provide a small initiating explosion - the purpose served by a blasting cap. IMO, Z didn't quite understand this or wasn't comfortable enough to fully address it. Again, this suggests to me he understood the circuitry but had limited experience with explosives...

Kevin

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:21 am:   

The bomb described is stove oil, ammonium nitrate, and gravel. He says, "set it off." This is really very close to the bomb that Timothy McVeigh used, wonder how he set his off? You could be right about this - I have zero experience in this area.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:45 am:   

Seems to me it all depends on how quickly you need it to detonate. For Zodiac's bus bomb, it would have to explode fairly quickly, given that the bus, if travelling at, say, 30 mph, would cover 44 feet in a second. At all events, even with a "fast" detonation he'd need to compensate for that distance, by placing the explosives beyond the detonating device. Pretty tricky stuff, if you ask me.

With the OKC bomb, they simply had to park the truck in proximity to the building, set the timer and get out of the area--not a hugely time-critical operation.

Stew
Username: Stew

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   

Kevin - the medium, short and long dash to me represent the axis on which he is flipping his sketches 90 deg. The drawings on each side of these axes correspond to each other except that they are viewed from a 90 degree different aspect/profile/view.

Stew

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

The guy who dreamed up this bomb idea was no moron, despite its impractibility.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   

Another thing that gets me about that first diagram is how the bus and car are sitting on a crowned road and actually tilted a couple of degrees to the side.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   

> "how the bus and car are sitting on a crowned road and actually tilted a couple of degrees to the side."

Could that possibly be a clue as to the road Zodiac had in mind for his plan?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   

Could be; but I think most of those country roads are crowned.

Kevin

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   

The bomb diagram tells you what kind of person Zodiac was, you learn a little bit about this guy. Whether it really worked or not isn't so important.

1) Practical or not, he spent time on it and mentioned it in more than one letter. He really wanted to make it feasible. It wasn't for lack of trying. I'd be willing to bet his plan had progressed beyond the schematic stage and he had probably accumulated parts and what not.

2) The kind of killer that would leave a bomb is quite a bit different than say, a Bundy. Not that I think Ted K. is Z, but this is where you can learn a lot from Ted. The fact that he was using a bomb with a delay shows he was going to great pains to not get caught.

3) Technically, the wiring of the bomb diagram is sound. The guy has training in either electronics or electrical work, his use of the relay and jumpers prove this. This training would have most likely come from one of three sources - the military, the private sector, or from a hobby like ham radio. If any of the known Zodiac letters can be proven to be written on teletype paper, it would only reinforce this.

4) There is also the strong possibility that he got this idea from some other source, as he has been known to do. Perhaps this new book discovery may yeild some information.

Stew

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   

The guy who invented this bus bomb may not be a moron, but the guy who invented the word "impractibility" in the above post might just be.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration