Early Z letters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » July 31, 1969 Letters » Early Z letters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   

Johno's post about revisiting Lake Herman Road made me take a look at some of Z's early letters (the three 7/31/69 letters and 8/69 Debut letters).

What struck me most is that these letters seem to be consistently written by someone who is a just plain poor speller. They contain plenty of common spelling errors and there is no "a cid" or "cerous" type error, which make a lot of people wonder about whether these may be intentionally misspelled or contain clews in themselves.

Take a look at the spelling errors found in these letters (there may be some I missed):

Christmass
lyeing
pattrened/paterned
coupples
untill
haveing
tireing
squealling
shabbly
silowets

All seem to be common misspellings, no?

Z actually spells "patterned" three different ways in each of the 7/31 letters (one correct, two not). Really interesting is his spelling of "CYIPHER" in the Vallejo Times-Herald letter.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/VTHLetter1.html

It appears to me that he had started to spell the word with a "y", questioned the spelling (or even looked it up), then added an "i" because he genuinely did not know how to spell the word. The word is then spelled correctly in the other two letters. To speculate, I would guess that the Vallejo letter was, therefore, written first.

I think it is very possible that Z experimented later with some intentional misspellings for "vexing value" but these letters make me believe that Z was, by nature, a crappy speller.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   

My theory has been that he intentionally (and blatantly) mispelled words in order to cover up his actual poor spelling. Of course, he could have consulted a dictionary and avoided all the mystique; but that would have taken away from whatever "experience" writing the letters gave him.

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:43 am:   

Zodiac prides himself on being Clever/Smarter than the Blue Meanies. Do you agree?

Then why would Zodiac intentionaly misspell words which would make him look stupid?

Ed, where ya at? lol

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:49 am:   

Perhaps he was exceptionally well-educated and didn't want that coming across as obvious, lest certain individuals within his circle of acquaintance catch on.

Take Kaczynski for example, in his campaign as the Unabomber. Of course there was no way he could get away with looking stupid when his intention was ostensibly to promote a philosophy. But he was sufficiently concerned that people would know he had advanced degrees that he sent a red herring letter to one of his former victims, Dr. Gelernter, sneering "people with advanced degrees aren't as smart as they think they are. If you'd had any brains you would have realized that there are a lot of people out there who resent bitterly the way techno-nerds like you are changing the world and you wouldn't have been dumb enough to open an unexpected package from an unknown source."

We know this was a red herring because the authorities found a note Kaczynski had written to himself regarding it. The note pointedly said that the purpose of the letter was to make people think that Kaczynski himself had no advanced degree.

I don't think Zodiac worried too much about the police catching on. He worried about the people close to him putting two and two together.

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:21 am:   

Doug, but yet Ted K did a 360 and wrote the Manifesto which was an unmisspelled brilliant piece of work as far as terrorist are concerned.

Linda
Username: Linda

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:42 am:   

If the Zodiac crimes were actually Ted's first murders, Ted would have only been in his 20's and certainly would be working on a "trial and error" basis in trying to "disguise" his writings/crimes. Spelling mistakes would have been an easy way to attempt this; of course, the Zodiac letters contain other accounts of difficult words spelled correctly and use of punctuation that most people have difficulty in using appropriately - to me, a giveaway in his actual level of intelligence.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:09 am:   

Right, Hawk--that that's what did him in. One can only think he had some kind of death wish at that point, because everything in the Manifesto pointed directly toward him.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:53 am:   

Some people consider poor spelling to be a mark of genius. Albert Einstein was a poor speller. Just because Zodiac may have been intelligent doesn't mean that he possessed good spelling skills. On the other hand, I believe that most of his spelling mistakes were intentional.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration