I wish you a happy Christmass. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » Dec. 20, 1969 Belli Letter » I wish you a happy Christmass. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 8:37 am:   

Here's a thought that just occurred to me: I once had an English acquaintance who refused to say "Merry Christmas," because in his modern English parlance the word "merry" implied drinking, and his religion (some branch of Christianity; not Mormon) frowned on the use of alcohol. Could this have been what Zodiac had in mind when wishing Melvin Belli a "happy" Christmas, as opposed to a "merry" one?

Whatever the case, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, in all understandable senses of the word.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 9:47 am:   

So Doug, you think Z was a teatotaler?

Happy Xmass to all.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

Could be, Dave. Or, he might have taunting Belli by wishing him an "un-merry" Christmas; i.e., one without any strong potations.

For my part, I plan to be quite merry between this afternoon and tomorrow night, and I hope everyone else is the same!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

I tend to agree with you. Z's underwear may have been a little too tight!

He may have been upset about Belli's supposed wealth and representation ,as compared to his own situation. It's weird, because as it turned out, Belli didn't have squat at the time of his demise.--Thought--Belli represented Jack Ruby, and Ruby's sister owned a club in SF. Have you found any connection?

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   

Maybe he was inspired by the Beatles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles'_Christmas_Album

http://www.beatlefans.com/images/xmas/xmas6b.jpg

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   

He appears to be by the use of "blue meanies." (Yellow Submarine)

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 2:21 am:   

Not only did my regular shifts at the spa fall on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day (and had I not missed 3 weeks of work because of pancreatitis and gallbladder surgery, I might have tried to sub them out), I got conned into working 3 extra shifts this week. I'm told it'll be busy, but then, I had 6 hours of work today and have 4 booked tomorrow already, so it may be worth it after all!

So... that means I can't exactly have a lot to drink (don't want to breathe on the clients with beer breath!), but I did have some plum wine tonight...

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 6:33 am:   

A look at the envelope that housed Zodiac's letter to Melvin Belli indicates that he did wish the famed attorney a Merry Christmas after all.

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:47 am:   

Yarbchris you may not be too far off with the Beatles. Their original band name was the Quarry Men for one thing. Compare a Beatles timeline to the letter and murder dates. There is even a Larry Kane associated with the Beatles. Kane at 21 years old was a broadcast journalist in Philadelphia and was the only American journalist to accompany the Beatles on every stop of their two American tours. Google Larry Kane Beatles. FYI

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   

My attempt at Christmas Eve merriness was almost foiled. I poured some of my birthday present, some Cask Strength Macallan ,into a never-used, stainless steel flask received some years prior. The flask had an almost invisible leak at the seams. I felt like I was bleeding. Oh well, I'm sure they'll make more.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   

Nachtsider, you're right. Another theory shot to blazes!

I've been pretty merry so far, but they haven't had to carry me out from under the Christmas tree. Yarbchris, I wasn't lucky enough to get anything in the way of Macallan, but I had some nice Johnny Walker Black (a little too smooth, to tell the truth, and I prefer a bit more of the peatiness) some Sam Adams Winter Lager, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Warsteiner Dunkel and just for moderation's sake, some Heineken Light, along with a couple bottles of good French wine, some Gluwein, Metaxa and a smattering of Wassail. There's never a dearth of Christmas cheer in the Oswell household!

Merry Christmas once again!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   

Yarb--I used to have over 70 Beatles Albums. Thanks for trying to educate me! Mery Christmass.

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   

Doug, I love Warsteiner Dunkel along with Murphy's and various other brews and distillates. (Now you know my real inspiration.) I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black for a recent BYOB evening dinner, not real peaty, but better than Glenlivet any day. My standby is Teacher's, a nice smoky blend I discovered after a rather painful cystoscopy.
---
More Beatles notes: A young Richard Starkey owned a Ford Zephyr Zodiac.

Was Happiness to Zodiac was a warm gun? The song "Happiness is a Warm Gun" with its innuendo certainly sounds Z-like to me.
---
Dave, If you are like me, forgive me if I've tried to educate: I like to learn, but abhor being taught.

Hope everyone is having a happy, if not merry, Christmas. And a Happy New Year!

Nachtsider
Username: Nachtsider

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   

Thanks a bunch for the credit, Doug. Please bear in mind, though, that I harbored absolutely no intention of being a party-pooper or spoil-sport when I posted my last message.

Glad am I to know that everyone is in the best of spirits and having a great time. Season's greetings to all of you once again!

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   

No problem, Nachtsider; it was just a thought in keeping with the Christmas season. I had a great Christmas, incidentally, apart from the consumption of spirits. My wife broke down and presented me with something I've been wanting for a number of years, a medieval rebec, custom-made by a friend of my daughter's. There's nothing like a special "toy" to make Christmas fun for an adult.

J_eric
Username: J_eric

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   

All day long I had the premonition that someone would call to wish yours truly a Merry Christmas (or even a Happy one!). Sure enough, at around 7 PM, the phone rang. It was a wrong number, but the lady DID say "Merry Christmas"...and so my premonition came true!

Could Z have been "almost" giving us his sign by writing the holiday as "Xmass"? He got the cross-hairs in there!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:41 am:   

Anyone notice how Z talked of Mery and Happy Christmass, but not much about Happy New Year!

Davidmm
Username: Davidmm

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

I've heard that the "Happy Christmas" vs "Merry Christmas" isn't so much a drinking reference as it is that "Merry" was another term for "hearty and strong", like in "Robin Hood's Merry Men." They weren't jolly or drunk, they were robust. I don't know if "Merry" still carries that connotation in the UK, but Robin Hood still has his "Merry Men" and they still wish each other a "Happy Christmas."

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   

This thread has been moved to the "Zodiac Letters Dec. 20, 1969 Belli Letter" topic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration