The Hautz Letter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Letters » Riverside Writings » The Hautz Letter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   

This is probably the wrong place for this thread, since it is, most likely, not a Zodiac letter. Just curious, has anyone else discovered the information? I notice there has been no related discussion on the new board.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspiciousLetter.html

http://crimeshadows.com/news/2006/09/hautz-letter. htm

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   

After waiting for months for signs of new interest in the letter, I posted some information on my blog on February 2, 2006. An excerpt appears below:

I have located the namesake of the letter's author. My research indicates she was living in the Riverside area at the time this letter was authored. As of this writing, the person I have located lives within an hour of Riverside. I can say, with a degree of certainty, that a woman named Patricia Hautz did live in the area at the time this letter was written. Of course, this person no longer goes by her maiden name. It is quite possible that she was the author of the letter. It could also be that someone wrote the letter using her name. With respect to the person's privacy, I can post no more information at this time.

http://crimeshadows.com/news/2006/09/hautz-letter. htm
-----------

Is this already old news? I ask because Tom's site still says "Was this sent by Zodiac? The origin of the letter is unknown. No "Patricia Hautz" has been located."

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspiciousLetter.html

I believe I can provide some closure to the mystery of this letter.

Fredcasa
Username: Fredcasa

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   

Have you been able to uncover more of this mystery?

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   

Yarbchris, I didn't see that blog until tonight.

Unless she is interviewed and asked about the letter, I don't see how locating her helps.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   

I certainly have. Because of legal and privacy issues, I'm trying to be as discreet as possible while sharing the information I have discovered. Tha is also the reason I have been slow in sharing; I have had this info since early 2005. A trustworthy source who would be diligent in obtaining even a short interview with the subject would be my choice for who receives what I have. This person would also have to share the same respect for privacy. On the other hand, the information is quite public, though it can not all be found in the same place and some assembly is required. I would be interested to hear the subjects side to this story, if possible. I am sorry I cannot share everything with everyone, but I do want to close the door on this letter, or perhaps open another.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   

Tom, you posted while I was typing my last post. If you are interested and would seek an interview, let me know.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   

Yarbchris, why don't you simply ask her if she wrote the letter. If she did, end of story.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   

I have tried to contact this person on several occasions. I have received no response as of yet. That is why I said I needed someone diligent. I am not looking for money or any other gain. I am only looking for someone genuinely interested in pursuing this further and sharing their information. If no one else is interested, I will continue my attempts at contact alone, though it really isn't my bag. Simply asking has not been that simple for me, that is why I started this thread. I have more questions I hope can be answered.

Did she write this letter? That would pretty much end the story and close the door. There are still questions that could be asked about her memory (if any) of the case.

If she did not, a new door is opened: Who was she acquainted with at the time, or who does she think may have used her name?

Frankly, I think she wrote it. There is also the possibility that she may not remember writing the letter. That was a long time ago. She may not want to be associated with something as morbid as the topics we so readily discuss. Strange folk asking about murder and long ago letters might even make me a little nervous. I do hope someone will find the info and "simply ask" the questions. I'm curious.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   

I think Howard Davis would be the best candidate to interview her, as he lives in that general area and discovered the letter.

Yarbchris

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   

Sounds good. I was hoping for someone in the area. May I send you the contact info? You may do what you wish with it. Or would you rather I contact Howard directly?

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:43 am:   

Interesting. In Riverside some years back, I checked what directories they had for anyone named Hautz in the area, and I don't recall seeing any listed. For some bizarre reason way back when, Polk's did not list people who lived outside the city limits, so if she did, that would explain why...

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:35 am:   

Yarbchris - may I ask one question which you might know the answer? Was her father named John?

Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 9:01 am:   

Hint: Even in California, women have a tendency to accept a new last name once they are married.

Her father was not named John.

Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   

I feel like I'm trying to give away an old fruitcake.(National Fruitcake Day was December 27)

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   

Worth pursuing, Yarbchris.

It might just eliminate a piece of mystery in a case that has far too much mystery already. I agree with Tom's suggestion re: Howard. I'm sure he would be willing to give it a go.

Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   

I am still waiting for a response from Howard Davis. I just emailed him last night, so he probably isn't aware of it, yet.

I think it might clear some mystery, as well, depending on whether or not this person is indeed the author. If she did not author the letter, then many more questions are left to be answered.

Just a note: I did not pay for this info, and I am not selling it, or trying to gain from it in anyway besides finding the answers. I would post the info on the board, but I am trying to respect the privacy of the party in question while at the same time enlisting some help in the matter.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   

I admire your honesty and values, Yarb.

Dahlia
Username: Dahlia

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   

Did someone mention fruitcake?!

Tom_voigt

Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   

Howard's been in Hong Kong for the last couple of weeks, but he's back now.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom. We will keep the board posted with anything new.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 6:16 am:   

Tom--Thanks for the warning.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   

Got it.Will check.Since the writer called 'herself' a "fellow student" I checked every student directory and year book in that area with no Hautz.
Phone directories yielded nothing as well as newspapers.
I know astute Ed did research too.
The archived board presents our speculations concerning this PH note.Even the German word Hautz and it's meaning did not miss observation!

The RSPE reporter that gave a copy of the Hautz letter(see Tom's posting of it in his fine Cheri Jo Bates section )to me said that they thought it was very 'suspicious' and speculated it may have been from the killer.

Dave,
Don't say we don't keep you warned and informed!

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   

Did I claim she lived in Riverside? If I did, forgive me. I found that she lived in the Riverside area, and I thought that I claimed as much. I do not have access to Riverside directories or annuals. I do know I have seen many annuals and yearbooks that have failed to list all of their alumni. Perhaps this was the case.

Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   

I did not know that being listed in the school directory was an absolute criteria.

Thanks to all who helped investigate this further. I thought I had some good info. Apparently it was not good enough. Since the info doesn't seem worthy of further investigating to anyone, I will continue on my own. I only wish I had used more discretion.

Again, thanks to all.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   

You did say "the Riverside area," Yarbchris, but the directories I checked listed people only in the city of Riverside, and I found she did not live within the city limits. Doesn't mean she didn't live elsewhere, as you've found...

Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   

Howard said he'd check into it and was just giving you some background on what had already been done regarding Hautz.

Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   

Tom,thanks.

Yarb,
As I said I will act on your info no matter where she lived.I just went over the fact that no PH lived in or near RS or went to any of the schools there.
A paid for check revealed nothing either.She or the writer did say she was a "FELLOW student"and showed much more sympathy for the killer than for Cheri,which the reporter thought strange.

I believe that I was told the envelope had a RS post mark,and no return address,but going through my files I can't locate my notes.I think I was told a copy or the original was in police archives.

When I move I am going to reorganize everything.After several moves and others moving research files/boxes,it's a mess.

It is very GOOD you are digging for more info.We all are when TIME permits.We both can seek and I will share anything I find with you first.

I don't post or spell very god as most posting is done from work quickly when I can get a space of time.So I take blame for not being more clear.Everything is on the table.

Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought that you were relaying the info was not enough to pursue. I had trouble understanding how the question of her alumni status couldn't be resolved upon contact. When I spoke of using more discretion, please, do not think I was referring to the sharing of info with you. Everything I have shared is public info available to anyone. Furthermore, I believe you are the reason that I became interested in the origins of the letter. I was referring to the thread in general, and what appeared to be a lack of interest, which nicked a bit. If my efforts in seeking assistance have been productive, that makes it worthwhile. Again, I thank you for your efforts and apologize for my misinterpretation of your correspondence.

Yarbchris

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   

The previous post should have been addressed to Howard.

Warren

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:57 am:   

A couple of years ago, I did some checking and I seem to recall that I found a John Hautz in Riverside through the SS death records (I think). His age would have been about right to have a daughter in school there. Hence my question. I'll see if I can find my notes but doubt if I can. Perhaps an obit somewhere in the Riverside paper?

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:30 am:   

At zabasearch.com there are 12 Hautz's listed for Calfornia. All of them are in southern California. One of them might lead you to who you are looking for.

Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   

Yar,
No problem.We all have an interest in all things that MAY relate to Zodiac!

There are no RS school student lists that have a Patricia Hautz at any time.Reporters have checked in the past.But anyone who has an interest in this contraversial piece recheck.FYI

Good Warren.

Thanx Seagull.

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   

I believe I have found who I was looking for, without the need for zabasearch. It is now only a matter of actual contact.

Without digressing into a game of twenty questions:
We are referring to a college, where many of the students come from the area, not necessarily the same town. I will say once again, for the benefit of the curious, it is uncommon for women to keep the same last name over a span of 40 years. A simple search of directories, like zabasearch or white pages will not reap any results initially.
A person has to dig a little deeper, but the info is still public and rather simple to stumble across. The info I have found is being looked into and any further knowledge regarding the info may be posted as it becomes available.

Warren

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   

Well, here in Houston I can, online, check marriage records for our county and they are indexed by each person's name, including the female's maiden name.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration