Zodiac & His Victims Age Differential... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Theories » Zodiac & His Victims Age Differential « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:47 am:   

OK, here is a topic that I do not recall ever being touched upon, at least in it's own thread. This is also a great question for our Criminologial, Psycological professionals on this site.

If Z's motive was to kill young couples in lovers lanes, wouldn't it most likely be because he was somewhat close in age to those couples and was aggravated that he was never able to have times of sexual activity as such while a teenager? How many years could somebody like Z last before he just blows up in rage and decide to do what he did? Why would somebody like Z wait until he was in his 30s or 40s before, at least to our knowledge, begin killing these types of people. Furthermore, wouldn't you all agree that naming himself the Zodiac was a bit immature? Something that a person in his, say, 20s would do. It could also be why he eventually did away with the Z name. He might have thought to himself that calling himself the Zodiac Killer was immature and it was time for him to find mature means of doing his thing.

But then again, if he was older, he could have been a disgruntled priest, or whatever, that just lost his mind and had it with all of this pre-marital sexual activity that was going on.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   

Good questions, Tommyt, and I'm not sure I have a good answer. We are, of course, presuming that this WAS Z's motivation (attacking teenage sexuality because he didn't get any as a young person) but I think there is some evidence to support that. I was going to comment on the fact that Kaczynski didn't start killing until well into his 30's but Doug might disagree with that, lol. My gut feeling is that this kind of repressed sexuality hatred would take a fairly long time to percolate and a person under 25 or so would probably not feel the rage of missing out on sexuality himself. Pure speculation there...

I agree that Z showed signs of immaturity but I'm not sure we can read too much into his actual age based on this. Consider for a second some of BTK's juvenile humor "I'm a cereal killer, haha", displayed in communications when he was nearly 60 years old.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   

I don't know, Deoxys. When you're so damned desperate at the age of 24 that you decide to get yourself emasculated because the only way you can touch a woman is to be a woman, then change your mind at the last instant and decide to start killing people instead, I think that lends a kind of immediacy to any need you might feel to lash out against the people who are getting all the things you're missing. Just a little speculation; nothing more.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   

Maybe the Zodiac still saw himself as the outcast teen, even though, physically, he was well into manhood. If this was the case, he wouldn't see the victims as younger, but as copies of those he grew to envy and hate while in his pubescence.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   

I find the Ted K sex change angle very interesting, though I think the media has glossed over this area of the case.--As far as Z, he may have made quite a few pubescent attacks or attempts in the East Bay at places like Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond, Rodeo, Concord, Antioch and Martinez, without receiving much gratification or notoriety. He may have decided on a deliberate campaign around San Pablo Bay, then other points of the Bay to the south, to hook into the major SF media.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   

All good points.

Ted was obviously sexually desperate by his mid 20s and he wound up being a killer. I'm very interested to see how you hypothesize Ted's transformation from wannabe tranny to Z to Unabomber in the book.

I like Yarb's idea and VDave has a valid point that we really don't know if or when Z might have been acting out in other (perhaps sexual) ways. Hell, we don't even know when he started killing ('62? '66? '68?). I guess I've always tended to view Z's level of organization as an indication of someone 30+ but, once again, pure speculation.

I think another idea to consider would be the whole organized vs. disorganized dichotomy. Z seems to have characteristics of both, IMO, but I don't want to take this thread off track.

http://faculty.ncwc.edu/TOConnor/428/428lect06.htm

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   

Deoxys, I've devoted a good 40 pages to the transformation. But it wasn't really so much a transformation as it was simply that you had a very angry guy who was capable of being pissed off in more than one way.

Tommyt
Username: Tommyt

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   

Let me get at another point of reasoning here. Lets say for instance that Z graduated High School in the early 60's. Throughout High School, he didn't get any women. Then he goes off to College, say RCC or a Cal Poly. Again, no desired attention from women througout his early college years. During college, he gets ideas of killing and decides that he will do so in the manner he decided and show it off to the world via media. This occurs in 1966 when he finally had enough brush offs, that is to say if Bates was his doing. He finally commits this murder and has to sit on it for a while. Also by this time, he is 3 or so years into college, early to mid 20s. Then once he comes to terms with what he did, and accepted a job in the Bay area, he then goes onto to his Z attacks, when he is possible between 25 to 30 years of age.

This is all that i'm getting at. And this is to assume that Dom & Edward were really his 1st, around High School, Bates, while in college etc. I'm probably wrong, but that was my thought when starting this tread.

Scott_ben
Username: Scott_ben

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   

My reasoning as to the youthful age of the victims, has always been, that is the age of people who go to "lover's lane" areas. You are not normally going to see 30 or 40 year olds parked somewhere on a dark light road "making out".
In comparison I believe Zodiac was much like "Son of Sam" he was looking for a type of victim however also had certain areas where he trolled for victims. Once he found a target he struck. That's why I never bought theories that he knew any of his victims.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   

Good point, Scott.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration