Beyond Coincidence: The letters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Theories » Beyond Coincidence: The letters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:08 am:   

Before I get into this side of things proper, there is one find I wanted to get out of the way.
As a stand alone item it means little and as I posted often enough about these things, it has no value as "proof" in and of itself, except that it's repeated.

I suppose the first thing to grab anyone who looked at the envelopes, was the curious phrease "Please Rish to Editor", it's also the phrase Zodiac used his copying device on.
In any case, did Zodiac really believe this would "rush" his communication to it's destination or could be have been playing some game with words.
Coincidentally these words contain the anagram:

Spot Arthur Lees I.D or Arthur Lee posts I.D

It's interesting I think when we (by following the murder sites and dates) can come up with the name Arthue lee linked to the first murder.

Sean

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:44 am:   

As I've said in the other thread (if this theory is correct) Zodiac chose two different ways to point us to the same thing.
There was purpose and design in his choice of murder sites and dates to point us to a name.
What he does inside the envelope (the game on paper) is also structure and designed to point to a name to give us the full picture.
These two theories combine when blood and ink (symbolic) come together for the final time with the Belli communication.

Just like the murders connect to Belli so do the revelant letters and codes.Even if you were not buying into this theory, it's hard to ignore how this letter becomes central.

Same principal. Jefferson (copying device) to the first cipher. The bloody shirt to the second major cipher and the my Name is cipher, posted exactly 4 months to the day after Belli.
The exact same tricks used to connect up the murders...

Sean

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 6:06 am:   

Not only was everything connected back to Belli, on each individual side; the murders (by the American revolution)there appeared to be conscious design within the letters in the way they were numbered.
The sixth letter (Pen and Cipher) had the word "Thing" followed by six exclamation marks and underlined six times. The infamous deleted symbol/correction was 6 places in and 6 places down from the right hand side.The next letter the 7th, Zodiac chose to claim seven victims and the letter itself was seven pages long. The Belli letter the 8th, Zodiac implies a victim count of eight and the letter had exactly eight sentences.
In the next letter the 9th (MY Name is)we have three new symbols used for the first time. The suggestion is that these contain a Taurus symbol and the number of taurus is 9.In fact the day it's sent 20th of April is the day the sun enters Taurus
These thing,I suggest,do not happen by coincidence, the happen by design and it's another good reason to believe that there was something going on here, that went to more than one letter.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 7:14 am:   

The following two links, speak of a well know early version of a Concealment cipher, the "Worthie Sir John" letter.

You should look at both because there's relevant information in each.

http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~wcherowi/courses/m54 10/m5410cc.html

The information is right on top of the page.

Second link :-
http://www.yale.org/ynhti/curriculum/units/1978/1/ 78.01.02.x.html

The information here is in section 7B, just over half way down the page under B Crypotology

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   

If you have read the information on those links you will understand how a Concealment cipher works and how they can be spotted.

I've gone through this on the board before, so I'll give the short version.The Belli letter never sat right with me, it looked "off" for several reasons.
When I looked at how Z wrote " the one thing I ask of you is this, please help me" it looked contrived.
He could have wrote, "I'm writing asking for your help" or something similar.The fact that he used the words "Please help me" three times, looked the same, it just didn't feel right.
This was a clear departure from anything before or after and I didn't trust that Zodiac was in a period of reflection/realized or wanted real help.
he certainly didn't follow up and was back to his old ways with an increased body count in his next letter.
I had been comparing this to other letters and noticed also that this was the first time his introduction " This is the Zodiac speaking" wasn't seperatef from the rest of the text or didn't have a full stop after it.I marked one in one day, closed the book and forgot about it.
It wasn't until I got to the Exorcist letter much later that I became convinced that it was a direct clue back to Belli....

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   

In fact I have come to believe that that is why he "came back" to quote the Exorcist, having seen the film and spotted the irony.

In the film, there is one scene where the girl has the words "Help me" on her stomach/belly..Belli.( I stand to be corrected here, but I also think I remember that the words "help me" on the girl's stomach were very similar to the way Zodiac wrote them in Belli) The Belli letter spoke of "this thing inside me won't let me" again aligning with the Exorcist. The latter also spoke of Plunging into a billowy wave..drowning. In the Belli letter Z writes "Please help me I am drownding".
Again, with many other letters we see a link back to Belli.
As with other info here, the Belli letter does appear to be set up to be something special.
If the first cipher linked with the copying device
and the My name is, linked by being posted 4 months to the day later, well then, why couldn't the belli letter itself be a cipher, with the introduction of jefferson?

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   

It was then it hit me that this could be a Concealment cipher and I set about trying to find clues (there are many different forms) From other letters I had this no. 9 in my head, not least from the "Taurus" clue in the My Name is.
I also wondered when Z wrote that letter and asked
"By the way have you cracked the last cipher" if he wasn't referring to Belli.
In any case the clue was right there in the letter itself. Zodiac writes "if I hold back too long from No. nine" he doesn't say next victim (which again I thought odd in the circumstances.
"Hold back" could also be a reference to "pausing" which is exactly what you do with punctuation, so I re-wrote the letter, aligning it one letter under the other, taking the punctuation in consideration....

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   

t.h.i.s.i.s.t.h.E.z.o.d.i
i.w.i.s.h.y.o.u.A.h.a.p.p
t.h.e.o.n.e.t.h.I.n.g.i.a.
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e.
i.c.a.n.n.o.t.r.E.a.c.h
i.a.m.f.i.n.d.i.N.g.i.t
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e
a.t.t.h.e.m.o.m.E.n.t.t
b.u.t.i.f.i.h.o.L.d.b.a
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e

The letters in column 9 read in order:-
E.A.I.L.E.N.L.E.L.L

The resulting anagram reads LEE ALLEN IL

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   

The coincidences began to stack up immediately.
We had 8 sentences, Zodiac had added only one comma, giving 9 breaks. however he also wrote
"nineth and posibly tenth".

We already had the clue "From No.9 and this lined up in column nine.
The encoded message itself, mirrored the overal premise of the letter. Zodiac was saying please help, implying he was "ill".
We are one letter short though, we are missing an L. However Zodiac deletes the word "COMPLET", (when it was spelled correctly to that point, also missing one letter)which I took to mean the encoded message was Incomplete, short one letter.
Instead of complete he writes ALL and right in that area we can see reading down FROM..ALL..E..N

So from, no. nine/from Allen we get an encoded message giving the name LEE ALLEN by counting out 9 places after each punctuation starting from the beginning.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   

Now we can see the two sides of this puzzle coming together and what might be happening.
The murders point to the name Arthur Lee
The game on paper completes the name Lee Allen.
Arthur Lee Allen.
Neither one is his name, but are part phonetic match.
However, if this incomplete message and name was to be correct, there had to be more and that missing "L" would have to be explained. Why else would he have designed it that way.
Before I get to that, there was another later find, I want to deal with now and we are on the subject.Following the same line of thinking, if the Exorcist letter was the clue to point back to Belli and he came back to "sign-off", could he resist signing that also? As we have seen, Tom discovered the glyph at the bottom of the page, could be arranged reasonably to spell LEIGH, in fact,nothing else to date fits as well.
But I believe there is more to it....

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   

With the Exorcist, Z opens with his comments on the film. Following that we have "Yours truley :"
an indication that a signature is to follow.

We don't get a signature, instead he gives us a verse from the Mikado.
Following that we have a "P.S" which again, comes after a signature.
So,could there be something in the verse itself that went to signature.
Zodiac writes:- He plunged himself into a Billowy wave". Who's he speaking about " himself/ Zodiac.
So if he plunged himself into a Billowy wave, where is he? if not "in" the Billowy wave, literally.
Look at the spacing and alignment of letters....

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   

.....He...plung.Ed...him...sELf...into
...the....b..i.LLowy...w.av.E
...and.........AN..echo...arose.....from

Sorry, it's not the best layout here, take a look at the letter itself. Down through the "E" in plunged we have ALLEN and in self and wave we have LEE.
Could this be backed up, well there is no Zodiac symbol here, instead he writes ME-37.

That the first line in this verse and the letters from which the name starts.
........8........14/15.....
HE PLUNGED HIM SELF INTO

The E in "Plunged" is the eight letter .
The E and L in in Self are the fourteenth and fifteenth respectively. 8+14+15 = 37

The verse is misquoted it should begin "And he plunged himself...."
Why might Allen pick this verse? It was alleged that he used the phrase Titwillo, titwillo, titwillo (again misquoted)
Being a diver I'm sure he plunged into a billowy wave on more than few occasions in his time.
he also of course worked at " The PLUNGE" in 1963

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   

Which Plunge are you referring to Sean, in 1963?

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   

The one directly across the street from Vallejo High where Allen used to work.

Scott_b
Username: Scott_b

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   

Sean, it's Arthur LEIGH Allen, not "Lee." Can you show me one instance where Art wrote his name out spelling his middle name "Lee"? In other words, you're theory is missing an I, a G, an H, and has one too many Es. How do you explain this?

Scott_b

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   

Pardon the spelling: it should be your theory not "you're theory."

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   

No Scott, my theory isn't missing LEIGH, I just didn't get to it yet.
One Too many "E's"?

I can't give you an instance where Allen wrote the name LEE.
What I can give you is the following link:-
http://www.zodiackiller.com/AllenInformants1.html

and also remind you that when Allen worked at Ace hardware, his nametag read "LEE" not LEIGH.

If that's your argument at this stage Scott, I think you are missing the point of the whole theory

Scott_b

Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   

Sean, I know that Allen often went by the nickname "Lee," that's not my point. The point is that Allen, when writing his name, never wrote it out or spelled it that way except when writing the Zodiac letters, if he in fact wrote them. How doesn't that apply to your theory?

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   

Scott,
A couple of points:-
We have, what? a drivers liscence and an Atascadero letter from Allen, perhaps there's another one or two I'm missing, I'm not sure.
To begin with, how can you claim that Allen "never wrote it or spelled it that way", maybe he did, it's not as if we have a whole load of correspondence by which to judge. We know from the samples provided that he used Art, Big Al, and Leigh. I can't say he used Lee, but who's to say he didn't?

In any case that's not the point, what we know is that he used this name AFTER the Z killings.
Isn't that suspicious in and of itself?
I'm sure if Allen was confirmed to be Z, then everyone would say and understand that he wore that watch, to let everyone know, likewise he's going around Ace Hardware, with a "LEE" nametag.
That's the whole point of this theory, he's rubbing it in, just as the Z letters claim.
If anything, it only adds to this theory IMO.
That's the person I see in these letters.
If you add to that his fondness for word games and pun's as seen in his recipies, this all fits....

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   

I'm suggesting Scott, that he (for whatever reason) decided to play this game, murder and leave clues to his identity, even going the whole way.
There has to be an element of self-preservation in this, in how he choses to lay this out and there is. there is absolutely no chance of anyone getting this until all the letters are in.
There is one chance to identify the name "LEE" that he gambles on, but even if it's found it's useless at that stage. (I'll explain later)I'm claiming he identified with Arthur lee and that's the way he laid this out.
The murders,,linking to Arthur Lee
The letters and codes, completing the Puzzle linking Lee Allen.. Arthur Lee Allen.
He eventually brings all of these together, including the correct spelling of LEIGH.
The idea of hiding that has two purposes
1. Allows him to lay this out
2. Protect that unusual spelling.

It could hardly be a case of simply solving a cipher to say ARTHUR LEIGH ALLEN.
Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Scott_b

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   

Sean asked: Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Nope.

Maybe it would help things if you gave us a thesis statement in as concise a manner as possible.

Also Sean, this is going to have to be one damned intriguing theory for it to outweigh the direct evidence, all of which points to someplace other than Allen.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   

Fair enough Scott! Apologies, I can understand how it may appear disjointed. I'm not helped here trying to bang this out on a dodgy computer, with enforced time limits for posting.
Also I have this running around in my head for a few years now and assume,(probably incorrectly) that everyone understands where I'm coming from.
Help me out here please,and tell me what it is you're having problems with (specifically).

Believe it or not I also understand, where this theory sits and am fully aware of the evidence that says Allen isn't Z.
My position on it is this;I am absolutely convinced that I have something special here, I accept it may not be correct, but I've been around codes etc now for long enough to know that it (at the very least) deserves to be considered.
I believe that what I'm looking at is there by design or an incredible coincidence that I can't explain.I have a shot at proving that, which I have to take.
Bottom line is this....if the code is correct, Allen has to figure in this case, regardless of anything else. If it's flawed, I can't understand how and am looking for someone to explain why that's the case.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   

Mr.Sean!
Only have spots of time as of late,but I quickly found the following in the letter jumble:
Lane
Alien
Nail
Ale
Lien

Nale(proper name for a family)

Ell(Old English for arm-Z would pull these things out of his hat at times!)
Lie
Nil
Eel
Lean -with a little more time it would be,etc.,etc.

We have, I-an-in-all-'ll-all of which,including just the words given quickly- can form a 'message.'
Why ,and I am ONLY asking sir,does it have to be a person's name?
Neil,Lane,Nale are 'names' too.Which letters could be intitals like A.Lane or E.L.Neil,etc.?

I sometimes wish there were no suspect 'names' thus freeing all of us of all prejudicial subliminal leanings.

Z's name could have been Al Lane (or Neil)or Lee Nale or could it refer to a street or lane as some sort of clue,etc.?
Who knows,but KEEP us thinking!

Scott_b

Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   

Sean wrote:

"Bottom line is this....if the code is correct, Allen has to figure in this case, regardless of anything else. If it's flawed, I can't understand how and am looking for someone to explain why that's the case."

So that is your hypothesis, right? "[If] the code is correct, Allen has to figure into the case . . ."

Sean, your hypothesis can only be correct if it takes into account all of the known facts. It may not be a known fact that Allen always wrote out his name as "Leigh," but there are examples where he wrote his name as Leigh as opposed to zero examples where he wrote it as "Lee." (At least that I know of; Mr. Tom Voigt would be a good source to go to for the answer to that question.). Nevertheless, in order for your theory to be correct, there would have to be very good reasons why Allen can 'seemingly' be exonerated using the direct evidence and yet still be the Zodiac. Do you have any ideas on how your solution to the code accounts for these facts?

You are asking me if I think your theory is flawed; the answer is "yes" if it doesn't consider and account for that which is known: the direct evidence doesn't match Allen. Without a hit on the handwriting, the DNA, the fingerprints, and the eyewitness testimony, your thesis would HAVE to be: Allen is the Zodiac because of the resolution to the code regardless of any and every other factor. If that is what you are saying then let's see it; I'm as anxious as anyone.

Sean

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 3:29 am:   

Howard,
You are half right. If you have looked at how a concealment cipher works, the number is what forms the basis for the extraction.In other words the number is the "key". Once that's identified I'm locked in and can't change that.
If that's the way it's set up then "all" of the letters must be used.
What's extracted from there comes under the rules of anagramming, that is, anything that you can arrange those letters to say is as good as anything else.One reading of this is LEE ALLEN IL.
That's of course,if this is a cipher at all,in the first place.
When this was originally shown to a code expert, he said it was a reasonable theory(the Belli Letter) but not without it's problems(as a once off). The advice he had for me....If Z did it once, he may have done it again.
It's up to me to demonstrate how he did it again and why that "solution" makes sense.
Anyone at any time can come in here and pick one aspect of this and offer an alternative explanation, just as anyone can do on any aspect of the evidence.To judge it fairly we must judge it as a whole, taking all of the links into consideration.

Sean

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 3:46 am:   

Scott,
All ciphers are based on Math, so when solved, they are much like how DNA works. You find a selection/reading that excludes all others to math odds.
That's how we know for example that the solution for the first cipher is correct, without question.
And that's also how we know Graysmith's solution to the second is flawed, because there are alternative possible readings.
Now had the first cipher in the course of deciphering read "Scott Bullock" it would be a certainty that that's what it read.
If the witnesses at Washington and Cherry described a guy 2 feet tall, it does not make that code wrong. That's my point, where this will take us from there I don't know.
I'm asking that you judge this on it's totality and ask if all of these coincidences can be dismissed as such, in favour of something else......

Sean

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:36 am:   

As a researcher all we can ever hope to do is to be able to explain everyting using one core issue.

We see it all over this board where explanations are offered by different people to pull their suspects into the equation. For the most part, it's anecdotal and usually only adresses one aspect of the case.That doesn't make them wrong, but there's no end to the list of suspects that we could throw suspicion upon, using those methods.The only real value would be in a case where you could tie everything together.
Now, I'm not claiming that my theory is any more correct, but at the end, I will have offered an explanation for everything and tie it all together.
The murders,the dates, the stamps, the increasing body count, the misspellings, the errors and it all points in one direction...Allen.
Little to none of it,goes to the evidence already considered against Allen.
At the end of each and every "Find" is either a verifiable "fact" that can be checked independently or something in Zodiac's own words.
I'm not making up my own codes and am not defining my own rules.What I will show,is there, it's up to others to judge for themselves.
As an exercise (if you want) just make a list of the coincidences as we go and take a look at that at the end.
That's been the claim from the beginning, what's here, is here by design or a set of extraordinary coincidences pointing to Allen.....

Sean

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:50 am:   

Scott,If Allen used the nickname LEE, how would he have conveyed that, if not in writing or spelling ?
Allen, when working at Ace Hardware had a name tag that read "LEE".He surely forwarded application forms and/or personal details for tax reasons. The alternative is to believe that his employer made a mistake and Allen (being such a nice guy) didn't mention it.
Also in the Manhatten Report it clearly states "AKA LEE" right after the name ARTHUR LEIGH ALLEN. If the person writing the report was spelling phonetically/in error, then would he not have written Arthur Lee Allen.
Now, I don't know where it came from, but it's there, somebody thought/knew that he used the name "Lee".
I have no record to say he used that before these murders,(not that he didn't) but if he didn't, doesn't it make it all the more suspicious, in the circumstances. Alternatively, it's another one of these weird coincidences that drove this theory.

In any case, I think the best thing I can do it move on.If there's anything along the way, please jump in. If there's anything concerning the murders please post in the first thread and I will answer.

Sean

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:47 am:   

A question to you Scott (or anyone one else)that will take me on to next step.....
Regardless of the "solution" offered here i.e Allen as Z....Do you accept (given the third post in this thread) that there's something going on(by design) with the letter order/numbers?

6th letter..6 statements/"thing" followed by 6 exclamation marked, underlined 6 times,deleted symbol 6 in and 6 down from right hand side.
7th letter..claiming seven victims (only 5 known) 7 pages long etc etc.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   

Sean, are you familiar with the proposed condo community in the Marin Headlands in 1970, tentatively called " MARINCELLO"? The Army was trying to sell off parcells and engage in land speculation before the NPS got fully involved. It was supposed to house 20,000 residents, but got defeated. I wonder if Belli had any clients associated with this.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:19 am:   

Sean, I am not trying to torpedo your theory. I just find the names "Monticello", and "Marincello" oddly coincidental to all of this, plus you have the water connection and the Jefferson connection in both names.

http://www.baynature.com/2003julysept/headlands_20 03julysept.html

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:04 am:   

Don't worry about it Dave, it's here to be knocked.
I have a feeling (and that's all it is)that there is some water connection here somewhere.Not one that offers an alternative to what I'm suggesting but rather, something that is part of it/compliments it.
I don't know, perhaps there's evidence stashed somewhere, that's a wild guess!
I haven't been able to nail it down though and am not convinced by what I've seen so far.If there is a water connection, there would have to be a point to it.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   

I have already shown and demonstrated how the name "LEE ALLEN" appears in the Exorcist letter.
It took the form of a fairly straightforward cryptic clue, but crucially, it was also linked to the "Score" he gives at the bottom of the page.. "ME-37"

I have also shown and demonstrated how the "key" to the Belli extraction was linked to No.9
and also how a possible reading of "FROM ALLEN" was achieved by Z replacing the partially deleted word "COMPLET" with "ALL".

Before the information was lost on the previous board I also dealt with the L.A Times letter:-

"Like I have ALLways said if the Blue MeanNies are everE"
"Always and ever" a clear link to the bible.
Always and ever...I am the Alpha and the Omega..I am the first and the last (and everything in between.
The first ALL
the last E
in between N another simple trick achieved by adding three letters, three misspellings with one extra letter each time.
"I am the First and the Last" coming from Revelations 1:17....17 the "score" on this occasion

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   

While there are others, I want to give one more at this time to make the point.
In Zodiac's 7th letter, 7 pages long,with a claim of 7 victims (when only 5 were known)
Zodiac writes:-
"For their telling lies about m..E
So I shall change the way th.....E
Collecting of Slaves I sh......ALL
no longer announce to anyo......NE"

Similar method used to Belli "FROM ALLEN"
This time though he needs an error to make it fit.
"Change the way THE collecting" as opposed to proper wording.
The score this time is 7 and the central piece of this comes on line 7 with "ALL".
Coincidentally again, while the name is clearly there, we are missing an "L". One of the "L's in ALL has to double with the EE above and the EN below to give LEE ALLEN.
Remember though, this letter was part of the original design, I'll come back to the missing "L"
The claim is that everything that came after Belli pointed to a puzzle already in place...

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   

The thing about these "finds" is that,when taken individually/once-offs they are only curosities.
(With the exception of BELLI because that shows real design) However,collectively they do show pattern and design and reinforce the crucial BELLI cipher.
But there is something much more important at this stage.What is he doing?
Clearly he's given Numerical pointers/clues to hidden messages concealed with letters.
Now, for the first time there's a real connection that ties back to what we have found independently
within the murders.
Arthur lee, who's anniversary fell on Dec 20th , the date of Z's first murder. Remember, he was most famous for two things, writing the Monitor letters...letters to the editors of Newapapers under a pseudonym and also inventing the "Dictionary Code".
The dictionary code (adopted by the military at the time) worked by giving numerical clues to pages and lines within a dictionary where the cleartext message could be found.
Now we have Zodiac (if correct) giving numerical clues to hidden messages within his own writings and other works (bible).
It's a clear indication the the unearthing of Arthue Lee on Dec 20th is no fluke.

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   

One problem with this theorizing, Sean, is the facile means by which you can wring the letters A, L, and E out of virtually anything--I mean, they're three of the commonest letters in the alphabet. If anything, the work you've done here reflects on your own creativity, not necessarily Zodiac's.

Now if your suspect's name were "Oscar Guggelhupf" things would be a bit different.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   

E AND A are Doug, coming in at positions 1 and 4 and 12.7% and 8.2% respectively, however L ,according to frequency analysis stats comes in,at position 11, at just 4%
E,T,O,A,N,I,R,S,H,D,L.
Then there is a double "L"! So that claim doesn't stack up.It also ignores the fact that these "finds" can be linked directly to numerical clues given by Z, which again multiply the odds against chance.
It's the same thing, same letters, each time. Now is it not reasonable to suggest that if this was some kind of coincidence linked to common letters that we would expect to find it happening with more common letters that L?
I can tell you, for what it's worth, that when the Belli find fell, this thing came together in quick order, simply because ( at least as far as I'm concerned)I knew the trick.

Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   

Doug wrote:

Now if your suspect's name were "Oscar Guggelhupf" things would be a bit different.

Now, if it was Seymour Goldfarb Jr, Oscar Henry Jigglelance or, even better, Wilberforce Claybourne Humphries, then things would definitely get interesting!!!

Sean

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 4:55 am:   

His name is his name guys, and his name is there.
To dismiss this because E and A are more common letters is premature and completely ignores the other connections.
The fact is that "L" has a frequency analysis of just 4%. So, in the Belli letter linked to No.9 we have a string of 10 letters. The chances of an L being one is only 0.4% It shows up 4 times, running at a 40% strike rate.
It's quite reasonable to believe that this was manufactured by Z, finding a phase that fits; "PLEASE HELP ME" and manouvering it around punctuation.
Hence the poor construction when he writes "The one thing I ask of you is this,PLEASE HELP ME.
The only comma on the page.

Unquestionably, the numerical link in his letters is manufactured in the case of letters 6,7,8,9.
So in letter 7 (see above)it's also goes to ignore
that arrangement coming on line 7.

In the L.A times letter, we are not even speaking of natural spelling. Zodiac has just three mispellings in the whole letter, each time it's one letter added. I don't think there is any of us who believe Zodiac is unconsciously misspelling.This in particular is very suspicious.

Sean

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:27 am:   

Let's go to the Red Phantom letter.
Right on the first line there's a large misplaced comma.It happens to be 17 places in. The letter itself is 8 lines in length. 17X8..Where have we seen that before?...the first cipher.

p.u.t.m.a.r.c.o.b.a.c.k.i.n.y.h.E.h.e.l.l.
f.r.o.m.w.h.e.n.c.e.h.e.c.a.m.e.H.h.a.s
a.s.e.r.i.o.u.s.p.s.y.c.h.o.l.o.G.i.c.a.l
a.l.w.a.y.s.n.e.e.d.s.t.o.f.e.e.L.s.u.p.e.r
s.u.g.g.e.s.t.y.o.u.r.e.f.e.r.h.I.m.t.o.
m.e.a.n.w.h.i.l.e.c.a.n.c.e.l.t.H.e.c.o.u
c.o.l.u.m.n.s.i.n.c.e.t.h.e.c.o.U.n.t.c.a.n
w.r.i.t.e.a.n.o.n.y.m.o.u.s.l.y.S.o.c.a.n.i...

Sean

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:36 am:   

Reading from the top down in column 17 we get.
E.H.G.L.I.H.U.S
The 17th word in the letter is "Disorder".
The first five give an anagram of "LEIGH"
However I was left with "HUS" and at first thought it just a coincidence.
Upon checking an american dictionary.
HUS, referred to John Hus or Huss.
He was a martyr burned at the stake for heresy.
However it is pronounced "WHOOS"(Athur Lee, dictionary code, read cleartext)
So was this in the form of a question WHO'S LEIGH?
and if it was, there had to be an answer.
Take a look at the very next "column".
Reading from the top down in cleartext
"HE IS ME NO"

Jbheath
Username: Jbheath

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:40 am:   

Has anyone ever thought about the possibility that Z did read News Accounts and purposely put clues in his ciphers of other Z suspects to throw people of as to his true identity?
Because everyone seems to keep coming up with ALA. And we all know for a FACT that with Handwriting & DNA That ALA was not the Zodiac.

Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   

jb,
Also that there was a very popular musician in the 60's named Allen?
The name was used as an alias by DeCarlo who you have researched- so it is not a totally unique name.
It would be something if both men knew each other!To what degree,if any, can not be determined at this time.
Allen did know some unsavory characters.
We are all zpeculating.

But,ALL of Sean's cipher work is very rich for consideration.We have not gotten a firm key,but all of his work and that of others needs to be made public and fully explored.I know we both agree.

Of course,there are very necessary components in forensics that need to apply too and we do not have this.A person will not be convicted in a court of law based on a cipher/s!

We are all positve they WILL-at some time in the future- fall into place.
I am thinking of the BTK and the Green River cases.Both cases seemd impossible in crack and yet over many years they finally yielded to a solution.

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   

Sean,
I've just re-read your posts. You've done an amazing job!
I'm unclear on your explanation, though, as to why he waited until after his 2nd murder to start writing. Wouldn't letter writing fit most closely with Arthur Lee and therefore the 12/20 attack.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 1:42 am:   

Thanks Eric!...Bacically "Arthur Lee" is the "solution" not the "key". He had to be sure he had the date of July 4th (jefferson's Anniversary and also the date of the BRS murders)to tie all together.
See 2 posts in previous thread posted Saturday May 13th at 6:26am and 6:44 am.
If you still have questions I'll be happy to answer

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:54 am:   

I'm led to believe there is some confusion here with regard to those things that I claim are encoded/enciphered and those things that go to clues only. There's a big difference between the two and one that is very important in terms of what I'm suggesting here.

When I speak of encoded/enciphered names/messages the only thing I'm referring to (thus far) is the messages that have been extracted for the Belli letter and the Red phantom letter. Both, I believe are Concealment ciphers, where we can at least apply some rules.
Neither is it a case of "LEE ALLEN" being the beginning and end of what's encoded. You have got to take the full message into account.
"LEE ALLEN IL" and "HUS LEIGH HE IS ME NO" are strings of 10 and 16 respectively.

So this "common letters" suggestion (even if it were correct,which it's not)doesn't take into account the full message/s......

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 7:08 am:   

Every other example provided are clues, cryptic and otherwise, designed to point us in the right direction and allow us to confirm that the messages extracted within known cipher methods, are most likely correct.

It is definitely NOT a case of Allen (LEE ALLEN) encoding his name all over the place.
The Exorcist, for example, is a simple straightforward cryptic clue. He plunged into a billowy wave, hence he's in the billowy wave.
The letter designed to point us back to Belli where the name LEE ALLEN is extracted under rules.
There are no rules here, just the clue in and of itself.

The L.A times letter is exactly the same. He gives us an three extra letters, but the cryptic clue comes to life because of the words and order he chose to insert the "extra letters" in. This again is NOT Allen "encoding his name".

These things keep showing up for exactly that reason, he has chosen to give a number of clues.
It is not as it has been painted, naturally occurring common groups of letters.In fact that's already proven by the fact that Z needs misspellings (unnatural)to set these up in the first place.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 7:37 am:   

So, back to Belli again and the curious message extracted from No.9. "LEE ALLEN IL"
If this was correct, the most obvious thing to ask is why he simply, didn't just, add another line and make the message "Complete".
Well, I didn't know, but one thing that could be reasonable drawn from it was if it was correct there had to be more and that missing L would have to be explained. If that could be achieved,then it put this way beyond chance/coincidence.
The clue came from the next letter posted four months to the day after the Belli letter.
This letter contained the "My name is code".I thought it more than a little suspicious that this particular letter and code should follow and link to Belli, having just found his name in the latter.He also wrote "Have you cracked the last code I sent you" apparently referring to the second major cipher, but I wondered if it wasn't Belli he was actually hinting at.

The real clue came though, not from the code itself but from the strange misspelling in the next line, which as it turned out wasn't a misspelling at all.
Zodiac writes "I am mildly cerous as to how much money is on my head"
In other words "reward". But again he was putting one thing in front of us while really pointing at something else the word "Cerous" and that was the real "reward".....

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 7:54 am:   

Back to the dictionary:-
"Cerous adj of or containing cerium with a valence of three"

Cerium a metallic element from the rare earth group exists in more than one state, it can have a valence of three or four, that is, made up of three or four parts.(Atomic number 58)
Cerous however referred to cerium with a valence of 3.
As it turns out Cerium with a valence of 3 is most commonly found in "Allenite" and is actually referrred to as "Allenite CE"
There was "Allen" again also found in a string of 10 letters made up of 8 and 2 letters.
Very similar to LEE ALLEN IL.
However the real clue was the valence of 3. Something made up of three parts and the only thing to date made up of three parts was the first cipher.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 8:09 am:   

Immediately of course we remember that it was here where Zodiac claimed his identity could be found, however upon the Harden's decipherment the code read "I will not give you my name".
My suggestion here is that this first cipher not only came in three parts, but also had to be deciphered in three parts, the Hardens only accounting for the first step.Essentially what we have is a cipher within a cipher.
Here is where the real design is and the lynchpin that holds everything together and also our best shot at proving that what we have goes way beyond coincidence.
First lets' look at how the cipher is constructed and the methodology behind it.
This is a homophonic substitution cipher.There are two types. A progressive and a random.
The progressive works as follows. Suppose we take a letter T for example. This is one of the more common letters so we need to disguise it/protect it by attributing more that one symbol.
Let's say we give it 5 symbols and to make it easier we will give it numerical symbols 1,2,3,4 and 5.

Sean

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 8:16 am:   

With the progressive type the symbols are used in order and rotation. So the first time a "T" comes up in the text we substitute "1" the next time "2" next "3" and so on. When we get to 5, we start again at the beginning and go back to "1" and keep going around in circles in order.

The random cipher is just as the name suggests, instead of keeping order we pick and choose the symbols 1 through 5 in any order, even repeating if we want. 2311452233355, anything it's random.

What Zodiac did however was curious to say the least, he bagan with the progressive type and half way through changed to Random.
The Random cipher makes it easier to solve, so why did he choose to do this? he understood perfectly well how these things worked and was mindful of frequency analysis.

Scott_b

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   

"[W]here this will take us from there I don't know. I'm asking that you judge this on it's totality and ask if all of these coincidences can be dismissed as such, in favour of something else......"

Fair enough, Sean. For now I'll just try to follow along.

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:33 am:   

Ok Scott, jump in if you have a question.

So then,what began as a Progressive type of Homophonic Cipher turned to a Random type.
The change wasn't abrupt, it held for the first third, gradually began to break up in the second third and by the final third, had become almost completely random in construction.

What I am suggesting is that he wanted to use the symbols/ciphertext in conjunction with the cleartext, to clue us in.

So then in the final third we have (at a point that goes right to the heart of the matter we have:-

Cleartext:- L.N.O.T.G.I.V.E.Y.O.U.M.Y.N.A.M.E
Ciphertext: . . . . R.U.C . . D. . . . . . .
Cleartext:- B.E.C.A.U.S.E.Y.O.U.W.I.L.L.T.R.Y
Ciphertext: . . . . . K.E. . . . . . . . . . .

I've just filled in the relevant sections.
Right on the line, where he says he will not give you his name, we see a message combined with the clear text that reads: "RUCE YOU DUMY"
In turn the "R" in "Ruse" Combines below with "USE" in Because to read RUSE..USE KEY

Remember here that he's working in confined space and there's a limit to getting things perfect....

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

On that score, you may be better off taking a look at a copy of the cipher, as I haven't it aligned it perfectly either. Sorry,Just working with what I have here.

If this was correct, it appeared he was distinguishing between his claim that his identity was here and the fact that the cipher, when broken, said he would not give his name.
Remember the follow up letter also;- "When they do crack it they will have me"

Right where he says he will not give his name, he's telling you that it's a Ruse and that we should "use the Key".
So if it was correct, where was it and how do we apply the "key"?

Again we go back to the cleartext.
"I will not give you my name because you will try to slow down or stop my collecting"

When you think about this, it doesn't make a lot of sense technically.If he gives his name, it over, he's caught. They will stop him, but slow him down!
Then we see, he didn't write "Slow Down" he wrote
sloi down. slo ID own

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:58 am:   

It's almost as if there's a double clue here. "In this cipher is my identity" my I.D , slow down and take a look.

Look at the symbols he has chosen to represent I and D. The I is represented by the triangle, which is the first symbol used in this cipher to represent "I" the ego and the all important crossed cricle to represent the D. (I Z)
Again take a look at the symbols that represent the O. The were four in all, but because he changed from Rrogressive to Random, he uses two X's in a row at either side of the triangle and crossed circle, as if to "mark the spot",in the traditional method as on treasure maps

SL..O..I..D..OWN
....X..T.(+).X...

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:23 am:   

Just to explain a few things before I continue.
If the Belli and Red phantom letters met the criteria of being Concealment Ciphers, this cipher, when broken would be a hell of a lot more obvious.
In fact, had he not already established in the accompanying letters that he did misspell, there would have been red flags all over the place, had this cipher shown up with spelling errors,without previous errors.
That's the reason I believe he began spelling incorrectly in the first place.He needed to hide
messages within normal text and it's just not possible, without all kinds of errors, spelling,grammer,syntax.
He's even more confined here because his cipher is in "grid form" a block cipher.He cannot do it without errors and even then,there's a limit to the amount he can achieve, without giving the game away completely.
Earlier I spoke, of him gambling on given the name "LEE" away.This is where this comes into play. To misspelling of Slow as Sloi was a horrendous "error" and then to link it with D in I.D/identity will explain the form the name takes here.

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:39 am:   

n.p.a.r.a.d.i.c.E.A.N.d.a.l.l.t.h
e.i.h.a.v.e.k.i.L.L.e.d.w.i.l.l.b
e.c.o.m.e.m.y.s.L.a.v.e.s.i.w.i.l
l.n.o.t.g.i.v.E.y.o.u.m.y.n.a.m.e
b.e.c.a.u.s.E.y.o.u.w.i.l.l.t.r.y
..........I.D....................

Right above the "I.D" we have "LEE" in a straight line connected to "ALLEN".
Remember "Cerous",(three parts) related to cerium with an atomic number of 58. The "E" that begins this sequence is in position 58.

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:41 am:   

Again sorry, that didn't translate correctly upon posting. Please consult a copy of the cipher.
I'll ask Tom to post some proper diagrams for me later.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:25 am:   

Sean, I'm using the same technique and getting a completely different result. The only difference is that I'm not stretching things to anywhere near the extent that you are here. I think you've got the right idea in regards to what I've heard described as "meta codes," but Occam's Razor still applies. The more convoluted it gets, the less likely it is to be valid.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   

Whhile fascinating, remember that Penn looked at the Z letters and extracted O'Hare's name, Zander looks at the same evidence and keeps extracting Ted K's name, and the name Kane popped up almost immediately as well.

Considering the fact that using different methods on the same evidence yields at least 4 different names tells me something is amiss. It's relatively consistent thus far, but I have to wonder how many other names can be extracted as well?

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   

Ed, any name at all can be "extracted," depending on what kind of technique is used. It's like writing classical poetry, to which human intelligence is ideally suited.

Here's the section of the Three-Part that I'm most interested in:

tidewavebell

There's nothing really convoluted about it. You have a relatively small section of plaintext (five contiguous rows) with four-letter words, three of which clearly intersect the word PARADISE and bear a relationship to one another. A short distance away you have the four-letter words HEAL and EARN, side-by-side and staggered one letter. To the right of EARN you have two names connected by the word AND. Simple and elegant, like you'd see on a Scrabble board.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   

Or you could end up with something like this:

mathiteach

Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   

Ed-Doug,
Correct...ANY and MANY!!!Over the years some solutions have been sent to me.Many are ingenious,but fail as to a solid key and they all disagree with each of the other solutions!

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   

Howard, those aren't intended to be solutions to the cipher--the Hardens have already taken care of that.

Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   

What I'm talking about are assumed ciphers Z purposely hid within the plaintext of the letters, or ciphers hidden within the ciphers themselves. What Sean has found is certainly interesting, but it must ultimately be compared to other extration methods used by other investigators who have derived different names. Z can only have been one person, not 4 (or more). It's unfortunate, but the fact that more than one name can be derived in other ways diminishes the intrinsic value every solution.

Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   

Doug,
This is what I meant as per Ed's last post.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   

You're still mistaken, Howard. I'm not looking for ciphers within the ciphers. I'm looking for codes within the ciphers. And I don't buy the notion that the existence of one set of clues invalidates any others. It all depends on how the clues are presented, and how they're reinforced by other evidence. Look at the plaintext of the Three-Part that I've presented above. We have a contiguous line that reads MATHITEACH. Just two letters down from that, in the same column we have TEDANDDAVE. Directly across from TED we have two four-letter words, EARN and HEAL. Who earns his living by healing? A doctor, of course--in this case not a medical doctor, but a doctor nonetheless. Ted teaches math, and he's a doctor of mathematics. Dave is his brother, who shared his worldview and remained very close to him during the time in question. It doesn't get much clearer than that, and you don't have to twist logic into a pretzel to see what's here--it's right in front of your face.

As for TIDE, WAVE and BELL, they cut right through the word PARADICE, following the example on the Halloween Card. All three words bear nautical meanings. I've expounded on this on the old board, and I've worked on it since, but I'll save it for my book.

I'll take it all back, though, if you can help me get a copy of the Donna Card!

Scott_b

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   

Is this theory "beyond coincidence"? No, it's beyond belief. That's just my opinion, of course. For this plan to have worked as you describe it Sean, Allen would have to have been as smart, or smarter, than you. I seriously doubt that to be the case.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   

Tom made a very salient point in another thread about how many bright folks discerned all kinds of clues in BTK's rambling messages and misspellings. The "BTK puzzle" was partially available on-line and yielded some really incredible theories. I know one person, in fact, who had been able to discover the entire cast of the Mikado in the BTK puzzle using a similar method as Doug and Sean are using above (no kidding...).

Could Allen, Kaczynski or any other reasonably intelligent suspect have hidden additional clues, codes or ciphers within his ciphers? Sure. I tend to believe that Z was far more intelligent than Rader and it is certainly worth searching for. My point is that someone with a deep fund of knowledge about a particular suspect will invariably find clues which relate to his or her own suspect and, in the absence of some consistent scheme, I would chalk it up to Zynchronicity.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:58 am:   

Deoxys, there are some criteria by which you can judge the worth of these observations. The first is their simplicity. The second is their relationship to other known factors associated with the suspect. And the third is the amount of time it takes Howard to appear.

Based on those criteria, I'll stand by the cogence of what I've found here. The fact that other people have literally wrung "solutions" out of these materials using such convoluted means as binary arithmetic, expanding the polynomial, adding the letter values and subtracting minutes left to play, or jumping about the grid from one character to the next, isn't about to make me wring my hands in grief when something both rational and patently obvious comes my way.

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:08 am:   

Ed,
1. Zander has not extracted TK's name and neither has anyone else.
2.I haven't seen Penn's work only a few examples.
All I can say is what I've said from the beginning, I'm using known methods, Zodiac's own words, and explaining,step by step, why I'm looking at each place.

Doug,
1. If any name can be extracted, please show me, not a once off and please explain why you have chosen to extract, for the place you pick it from.
2. Anyone can go in here and spell words at random, there's no linmit. Can you show why (apart from the fact that they're there) why we should consider them important and link them repeatedly to something else,including other places they can be found?

Howard, same things..yes many names can be extracted, show me please, where the names are, the methodoly used and where they can be repeated in a reasonable way.

Scott,
I need to finish this, because the most important is yet to come. I think it will be differnt by the time this is over.

Deoxys/all,
I really do appreciate the input from everyone, this is here to be tested and I welcome that in all forms. However, all I'm looking at are sweeping generalizations, most of which are false.This is the same thing over and over again, using the same methods each time, this is the major difference.
Thanks to all, seriously!

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:15 am:   

Sean & Doug,

Hope you both understand, I'm not trying to diss anyone's hard work. I appreciate the willingness of you both to explain your methods and conclusions here. My point is this:

If you take any matrix of 340 or 408 random letters and look for meaningful words or phrases in the ways you both are doing, the possibilities are virtually endless. I bet if you thought about it, you both could think of hundreds or thousands of terms which relate to your suspects and there's a good chance that some of those can be dug out of such a matrix (the word, MATH, for instance, would certainly jump out of the page to Doug).

"TIDE" and "WAVE" running perpendicular to "PARADICE" is an interesting find considering the speculation about Z's affinity for water (which I don't buy either...). The water connection to "BELL" is a stretch, in my opinion.

EARN & HEAL? Would Ted K. really use these clues to secretly reveal his own identity? Yes, he EARNED money but I doubt he would define himself as a healer based on his Ph.D. in Mathematics.

I agree with Sean's last statement that a viable solution should be consistent, using the same methods, and most of all, intellectually honest.

Ed, you're good at this... pick another suspect whom we know a lot about and see what you can find, using the 340 or 408 ciphers...

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:15 am:   

There's nothing "extracted" at all, Sean; the name is right there in three contiguous letters. Moreover, it's sitting directly beside the words EARN and HEAL, two four-letter words (far more unlikely to be the result of chance than three-letter words) which are lined up side-by-side, and directly under the contiguous words MATHITEACH, which, once again, require no process of "extraction" to perceive. Further, the name TED is contiguously attached to the words AND DAVE. Dave is Ted's brother and sidekick; Ted is a math teacher, and a doctor of mathematics. The references are all contained in a very tight section of the entire production, measuring thirteen rows by four columns. And it doesn't require a rocket scientist to interpret.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:24 am:   

section

Maybe this will help. It's a very small section of the whole. And it's not just the words themselves that have significance; it's the meanings they convey and the relationships that those meanings bear towards one another.

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:51 am:   

Deoxys,
There will be absolutely no offence taken here with you or anyone else.This is why I put this theory out, to test it.All that matters here is the truth at the end of the day.
This will eventually be tested mathamatically regardless of what I or anyone else thinks and I don't know what the outcome will be.
However,what I can deal with here and must are sweeping generalizations that are put forward as argument against this theory. There are many misconceptions which will have to be tackled in detail.Not least the idea that there are countless names here that have been extracted
honestly, using known methodology and the difference between picking words at random and doing so in connection with direct clues.....

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:10 am:   

To that end, I agree with you 100% when you speak of a matrix of 340 or 480 and being able to extract any number of "words" that look interesting.That's exactly my point, anyone can do this with all types of letters and Doug has provided the perfect example.

Deoxys/Doug,
Yes you have extracted spellings in and around the word "paradice" but the problem is where to draw the line and explaining what makes this any different that picking words from anywhere else, within this block.
For instance "TIP" and "FIR" are also right there.
So we have Tip, Fir,Wave, Bell,Tide and so on.
We could go to other parts of the text and whip any assortment of different words.
Is it likely that Z aligned all of these for some purpose? I doubt it,but in order to show design
you have to follow that up in a meaningful way.
Including other examples of these words elsewhere.

What I have done is question the difference between Zodiac claiming his Identity was here and the claim that he had not given his name.
Not only have I given a direct numerical clue, but also aligned it with misspelling and given a full explanation as to why he chose to change systems half way through.This in turn must be taken in context with everything I have produced before now and everything that's still to come.
There isn't a single "find" here that cannot be backed up at least twice and in some instances three and four times. That's the only way to judge
these things and that's what seperates them from once-off's....

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:18 am:   

As I've said earlier,I have left alot of connections out here sticking to the main points for the sake of time, however in the context of what's been purposed here, let me give another example.
When I re-wrote the Belli letter in order, the actual extraction, when alignes looks like this.
heLPME
..E..
..E..
..A..
heLpme
..L...
..E...
..N...
..I...
heLpme

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:27 am:   

Now, go forward to the Halloween Card...
"I feel it in my bones you ache to know my name and so I'll clue you in"

Compare the "Paradice slaves" construction to this.If you turn this sideways, there almost an identical match.
The construction itself is in the form of an H and H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, coincidentally Belli is Zodiac's 8th.
Not just that but if you look to the words "By Knife" the N is reversed. In other words, it's a mirror image. The construction is a mirror image, but also I believe goes deeper than that as a direct clue.
William Heirens was the famous Lipstick killer, who infamoulsy wrote on a mirror ( sorry the exact words escape me right now)
Please help me /catch me before I kill again, I can't help myself.
This is where I believe Z got his idea for the Belli letter.Again this is consistent with the rest of this theory, providing back up time and time again to each find.That I believe is still the difference here.

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:20 am:   

Design and repetition is the key to this theory.

If the name Lee Allen was designed as I have suggested here, then the link was the misspelling to provide I.D. In this cipher is my identity (Zodiac's own words)
It also means that he gave his name right in the place he said he would not.This was at the beginning (the first), now go to the Red Phantom again (the last)
"Since the Count can write anonymously so can I"
Look straight up the middle of the page beginning with the "L" in anonymously (and also consider the spacing).
I will not give you my name.
write anonymously.
The name Lee Allen is broken only by the (IM) in "him.
Spacing, the same trick as used in the Exorcist letter. The first and the Last, same as the L.A times letter.The encoding of the "leigh" message in block form in that same letter, same as we have here.
By any standard the odds against these things happening by chance are astronomical.

Ericd
Username: Ericd

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:47 am:   

Sean, I'm not following you here.
You wrote "When I re-wrote the Belli letter in order, the actual extraction, when alignes looks like this." Can you give more info as to how you did this. I'm trying to replicate this finding but have been unsuccessful.

Also, with the "Paradice slaves" construction, what are you saying its a perfect match to?

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:06 am:   

t.h.i.s.i.s.t.h.E.z.o.d.i.a.c
i.w.i.s.h.y.o.u.A.g.h.a.p.p.y
t.h.e.o.n.e.t.h.I.n.g.i.a.s.k.
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e
i.c.a.n.n.o.t.r.E.a.c.h.o.u.y
i.a.m.f.i.n.d.i.N.g.i.t
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e
a.t.t.h.e.m.o.m.E.n.t
b.u.t.i.f.i.h.o.L.d.b.a
p.l.e.a.s.e.h.e.L.p.m.e

That's it in it's raw form. the key to this was the phrase "please help me. The L"" being the ninth. So when the anagram is arranged in correct form, it's as the construction in that above post.
Zodiac was asking for help...lee Allen asking for help.

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:13 am:   

Eric,
I believe Zodiac clued us in on the Halloween card by giving that construction (Paradice slaves H).
That was to let us know that, he was capable of spelling in different directions. The clue went right back to Belli again and the extracted format
is very close.
Just turn the "Lee Allen Il,Help me help me,help
me" on it's side and compare to the Paradice slaves construction in the halloween card.
They would be identical in shape and also see how the missing "L" would line up against the "S" in slaves had it been there. Another indication that there was a letter missing on purpose.

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:24 am:   

E.......E.........E
M.......M.........M
P.......P.........P
L.E.E.A.L.L.E.N.I.L.L
E.......E.........E
H.......H.........H

Compare to Halloween Paradice slaves construction

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:27 am:   

You could also flick it around to have "Help me" reading downward, then you would have the same three "E's" coinciding with the same three letters in paradice slaves.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 7:48 am:   

From here on in I will be tying all together and explaining how everything interconnects and fits.

Remember we started here with one whole theory split into two halves.
The murders and dates pointing to Arthur lee
and the communications completing the picture by giving us Lee Allen.
We have arrived at this point through a series of clues and now have LEE ALLEN linked to a clue I.D
LEE ALLEN I.D, linked to the extraction in Belli
LEE ALLEN IL.
However, there's still something missing. If we can account for the missing "L" in Belli, we don't have the whole picture, however if we can, it again shows deliberate design in and of itself even....

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 7:55 am:   

The clues were there however....
When Zodiac sent these three envelopes he used a copying device on two of the three envelopes.
The Chronicle (2nd) and the Examiner (3rd).He didn't use on on the first.
However, and he does this all the time, he gives us a back up.
Also on the envelopes he uses 2 stamps each on these same envelopes, while there are four on the Times Herald.
Clearly there is something at play here by design.
He's telling us that the message in the bottom two
is mirrored in the top or in the case of the stamps 2+2=4. Put two and two together and it will equal 4.
Again, any theory that fails to account for this ,is missing something.He was playing a game with this cipher....

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:07 am:   

But what was the game? What had he done up to now/what was he doing generally.
Simply he was encoding his name and leaving clues to his identity.
But how was he doing it? He was doing it phonetically. ARTHUR LEE is not ARTHUR LEIGH
and LEE ALLEN is not LEIGH ALLEN.

Not only that but this was coming together in a HOMOPHONIC CIPHER...HOMO meaning "same" PHONIC meaning "sound"..."Same Sound".

Now there's another horrendous misspelling in the top third of the cipher, that at the same time isn't a misspelling at all.

So here is the "KEY"...DANGEROUE. This word is a perfect phonetic match for the French word DANGEREUX meaning exactly the same thing, DANGEROUS.
So why the French connection? What part of the original spelling is french?
ROUE is french for "WHEEL". Wheel Cipher?
Thomas Jefferson not only invented the Wheel Cipher but did so while In France.In fact the Wheel Cipher is Jefferson's most famous cipher.
And as already explained, Jefferson was also famous for using a copying device called a POLYGRAPH as used on two of the first three envelopes that held this code....

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:14 am:   

If there is a Wheel cipher at play here, it proves that when Zodiac put the Jefferson Stamps on Belli it was no accident and if that's the case
it also goes to show, given the timing, that the murders had to be connected.
That the murder on July 4th, Jeffersons anniversary was also by design.
Now if this Cipher can be used to identify Allen as per what we have seen, how can we chalk this up to coincidence.
The beauty of a Wheel Cipher is that it operates in and of itself.So along with the "Cipher text" you know it's correct because when the "Alignment" comes the cipher text can be checked against the clear text.
So in and of itself there is a mathametical calculation that can be made.....

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:26 am:   

Time and time again Zodiac pointed here to the area the "Wheel Cipher" was at Play.
The halloween card with the eyes peeking out through a tree. The peek through the pines card.
Where is it we find these trees...in the "Forrest".
When the seventh letter arrived, the name came together on the seventh line. Dangeroue is on the seventh line.
Paradice "PARA" meaning two, two sides of a dice always equals 7.

Arthur Leigh Allen himself when interviewed in 71 volunteered this information to the shock of detectives. The Most dangerous game was his favourite book as a child.
This is how this whole theory "fits" when we compare what we did know about Allen.
He had a penchant for word games, just check his recipies. When interviewed he was already ahead of the game and the interview turned into a run around. We have no record of Allen using the name LEE until after this was over. Then Allen pops up with the name tag LEE at Ace hardware. He's wearing it just like the watch, right under everyone's noses. That's precisely what's at play within these communications

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:38 am:   

When Zodiac replied to the the press/police request for more details, he immediately asked about the code.
He also changed paper, the paper used in the original letter was cheap, but with this letter he changed to expensive bond paper with a water mark that read FIFTh AVENUE.In that same letter also he spoke of spraying them as if with water.(it wasn't an UZI he was carrying)
He also withheld the name Zodiac until now.

When he sent the Halloween card to "clue us in" it was the first time he wrote the address on an envelope. Paul AVERLY at FIFTH&MISSION.

The first time Zodiac uses a Z in his code is at the top of the "Fifth column. The value he attributes to Z is e EZ ..easy. He's playing games the whole way through.

In the Halloween card there's a new symbol.
Coincidentally, as Doug points out this symbol can be seperated to make two letter from the Runic alphabet L and A.
The clue to the dots is the eyes. Look.
In other words, open your eyes and look.
In other words they're closed or blind.
The two dots on the left in Braille correspond with I , the two on the left correspond with E.
LA IE LA I.E LEE ALLEN I.E Literally LEE ALLEN in other words.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:58 am:   

Look at column 5 reading from the top down to a string of 10:-
E.A.I.L.E.N.U.L.E.E
Compare it to the extracted string in the Belli letter extracted under the number 9:
E.A.I.L.E.N.L.L.E.L

The first 6 letters are identical.

Look at them vertically:-
....E...
....A....
....I...
...ILL..
....E...
....N...
....U...
...ILL..
....L...
....E...
....E...
Scroll back up a few posts and see the Belli layout. Lee ALLEN IL, HELP ME, HELP ME, HELP ME

The message from belli is that he was ILL and wanted Help.
I don't know what the odds of this are in and of themselves, but...!

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:07 am:   

Oops. there's 11 in that string, after the bottom "ILL" EE.

Now we know the vertical alignment is what's at play. The "spoiler" the "U" in dangeroue(on line 7) must be moved if a wheel cipher is at play.
At this stage, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that the letter we want in there is "L"
the missing "L". However, I have to stick to strict rules.For the sake of this theory, I have to assume at this point that I don't know what letter is to be moved, where it's to be moved, what direction it must be used.
I have to take the instructions given.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:17 am:   

For that to work, I must go back to the dictionary to get a definition for ROUE.

"the break on the wheel, <L rota a Wheel (see roll)orig: a nickname given to the dissolute companions of the Duc de Orleans, a dissipated man: debauchee: rake"

How that definition goes to this theory in more ways than one.
It also goes back to what was discovered on the murder side of things. Jefferson to Arthur LEE and the strongest connection between them.
When jefferson refused a commission to France, Lee took his place. Jefferson/wheel cipher, Lee/dictionary code. One taking over from the other, In France!
In any case we have "< L" derived from latin.
It not only shows the letter to be moved but the direction.
However, that's still not airtight, there are three "L's on that line and I have still to define
where it stops.

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   

Sean, you wrote (a while back):

"The Random cipher makes it easier to solve..."

Generally speaking, it's the other way around. Systematically iterating through ciphertext equivalents makes the cipher more predictable and thus easier to solve. Whereas randomly choosing ciphertext equivalents makes the cipher less predictable and thus harder to solve.

Having said that, it does make sense that a person creating a cipher may choose to use all ciphertext equivalents before employing an algorithm to reuse equivalents.

Therefore, what Z did sounds completely logical to me.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   

Mike,
Glen Claston posted the exact opposite to that
(his posts are back there somewhere).
The again, as far as I'm concerned,it depends on the length of the cipher as repeated high frequency couplings could be given away more easily.
That said, what I have outlined is the way my logic worked and how I went from place to place.
Is "Ruce you Dumy" and "use key" therefore invalid? I couldn't say, but they make sense in the context of everything else and are there.
It offers a reasonable expalnation as to why he changed. There is no question,I believe, that he wanted this solved.
I find it illogical, that having decided to approach this in one way, would change half way through, regardless which of method is easier or harder.
It was suspicious,in my view,that he changed at all.
The item that convinces me most are the symbols he chose for I and D, the trine and the crossed circle symbol and the fact that the O was represented by X at each side.As if to mark the spot.It has for example been suggested by psychologists that he may have attributed the crossed circle symbol to one of his own initials.
This isn't wide of the mark.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   

Just to add to that Mike. You have long suggested/believed that Zodiac was mostly truthful in his claims and would find some form of words to make his statement technically correct.
If he said his identity was in here and it wasn't, it's a lie
or if he said he would not give his name and he did, it's a lie so,doesn't "Ruce you Dumy" get him out of jail?

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   

Sean,

I'm not trying to say anything one way or the other about your overall theory. I'm just disagreeing with a minor, supporting claim.

I know Glen made the point (or something close to it) on the old MB. If he, indeed, was saying that generally random selection is less secure than sequential selection, he was wrong. Apart from coming to this conclusion on my own, I've seen the point made in one of my cryptographic sources. If I can figure out which one and where, I'll post the reference.

Yes, I think Z's identity is encoded in the cipher in some way, shape or form...

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   

It wasn't a defensive reply Mike. I keep saying, I'm prepared to let the dice (pardon the pun) fall where they may.But I will argure this theory, beacuse I believe in it or until someone tackles this based on what's there and proves it wrong. After five years on this, I want out, in one form or another. I appreciate when someone/anyone puts a theory on this board, the theorist as well as the theory comes under scrutiny, that's the way it should be.I've been over it a million times and if it's incorrect, I'm looking for someone to point to the flaw, because I can't figure it.
I'm perfectly mindful of other evidence that appears to eliminate Allen.But for now,I trust what I see and know and I know that the mathametical probability of all of this coming together is staggering.
If this is flawed, it's my flaw and I can accept that. I don't want Allen to be the Zodiac because it would make me right, it would be nice of course, but let him be whatever he was, if not a murderer.
Of the billion formations that could have showed up on that line , it happened to be "Ruce you Dumy" and of the billion formations that could appear beside I.D it was Lee Allen.
It should be possible one way or another to apply statistics to this theory, as least that's what I'm hoping.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

. . . . . . . . ........ W . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . ...R....E . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . ..T...E. . . . . . . . . .
N.A.M.A.L.O.F.A.L.L.G.E.R.O.U.E.A . . . Turn
. . . . . . . . . . . . ........I .. G . .I . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . ........T H . . .L . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . ....... ..E. . . . . . .

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 8:57 am:   

Again. apologies, that's not perfect, so please consult the code.
Having taken the instruction from the dictionary definition of "roue" "<L" we know that the L was the important letter.
However we didn't know which "L" or where it should stop.
However a second and third back up is in place.
The alignment of "Weel" and "Rite" defines this.
It's Ok to have some idea that a wheel cipher was at play, but to then discover the these words not only aligned, but aligned through misspellings is another indicator that this could only be achieved through purposeful design.
There are three categories of Misspelling in this cipher.
a.Where a letter is added as in "Forrest"
b.Where a letter is dropped as in "Experence"
c.Where the word is misspelled but has the same amount of letters as the normal word would have...

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:10 am:   

If "Forrest" is spelled correctly the word "WEEL" does not line up.
If the extra "I" in "experence" is added the word "Rite" does not align.
The effect of an extra letter is to push the grid forward and the opposite for a letter less.

Notice also that 5 of the spelling errors congregate in this area, something else suspicious. This is what I've been saying all along, in order to force a message in here he needs these errors, to get words to align.

Also in "forrest" we have ATR (Art) and "lee" in Weel reading the other way up.
Most amazingly of all though is that the original misspelling of dangeroue, the "E" moves across the line to connect up with LIGH, to give a spelling of LEIGH.

The all important "L" repositions in column 5
to gave the string:- EAILENLLEE.
Almost exactly the same as the Belli letter.(Which was in and of itself a further clue to tell us the "L" was missing.
This time though the anagram is LEE ALLEN I.E.
Literally Lee Allen in other words and his name is in other words. It also connects back to the new symbol on the Halloween card a combination of RUNIC and BRAILLE giving LA I.E

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:32 am:   

In the course of this I have been able to explain and account for the misspellings of :
DANGEROUE,FORREST,EXPERENCE,SLO(I D)OWN and PARADICE (not only does this occur on the 7th line but the Wheel is revolved 7 places.This also ties back with Zodiac 7th letter.
Every one of them play a part in this design.

There are 3 more errors. The first a syntax error.
Zodiac writes "and all the I have killed"
Again very similar to Zodiac's seventh letter , where he writes " I shall change the way the collecting".
At the bottom corner of the second third of this cipher the letters T and H have values (out of sequence) of I and M, respectively.
Right at the top of the third section, the cleartext is "LEE". IM LEE.
This just cannot keep happening by chance IMO.

The next spelling error is on line 12:-
Zodiac writes "the best part of it is THAE" when I die" subbing an E instead of a T.
Read the name that's anagrammed there in the form of an arrow heading straight in the 5 o Clock position (roughly) MEL BELLI.....

Sean

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:38 am:   

Not only that but it appears in the same section of text that the message "LEE ALLEN I.D is discovered. Right between these two messages is the word "READ".
LEE ALLEN I.D READ MEL BELLI.

That shocked me as I'm sure it will shock others.
I almost didn't want to believe it. However if every other error went to revealing a name, then this error did too.If true the implication is very real, this was planned out. Each find constructed as a back up to the other.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:47 am:   

Let's continue this discussion here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration