Celestial Navigation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Theories » Celestial Navigation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_cole
Username: Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 2:42 am:   

Here's a first draft of something I've been working on for a while. Please have a look:

http://www.mikecole.org/zodiac/bowditch/latest/

Mike_cole

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:03 am:   

Happy Summer Solstice!

I was planning on having my post coincide precisely with the arrival of the solstice which occurred at 5:36 PDT this morning; but alas, the website was afflicted with some "technical difficulties" and my plans were foiled. The relatively good temporal proximity of the post will have to suffice...

Mike_cole

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:58 am:   

Somebody must have something to say about this... Am I on to something? Am I totally off base? Is it interesting? Uninteresting? Crazy? Let me have it!

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   

Personaly, i like it. The summer solstice/BRS is a bit of a spred but maybe Z felt hunting would be better on the 4th of july.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   

Mike,
How then would August 1-3, 1969 fit into your equations on celestial mechanics and the the Zodiac killer?
He mailed ciphers to the Vallejo Times, San Francisco Examiner and San Francisco Chronicle that he wanted printed by the afternoon of Friday August 1, 1969 and if they weren't he threatened to go on a killing rampage to begin that Friday evening and continue through Sunday.
That murder spree never happened of course but if he's choosing dates to murder on then why those?

Mike_cole

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

I reformatted the page and made a few minor edits. It looks better now...

Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:17 am:   

Hawk,

Thanks for responding! Yes, BRS is a little problematic. But the possible implications are interesting...

Variation to a bordering weekend doesn't bother me much. For example, the 1969 autumn equinox preceded the LB attack by four days. However, the former was on a Tuesday and the latter was on the following Saturday. That sounds reasonable.

However, the summer solstice was on a Saturday while the BRS attack did not occur until the Friday almost two weeks later. Was this an intentional delay so as to make the attack coincide with the 4th of July? Were the Vallejo lover's lanes less populated because of the LHR attack? Perhaps Z was trying to kill somebody on one or both of the previous weekends. It would be interesting to know if there was any suspicious activity on those weekends. The same goes for the weekends surrounding the spring equinox. Perhaps Z almost got caught and decided to just play it safe and not do anything during the spring equinox...

Another thought about BRS. We know Z chose tie up and stab a couple for his next attack. Perhaps Z spent one or both of the prior weekends trying to find a victim to tie up and stab but failed - either because the circumstances weren't right or perhaps he decided his approach needed to be refined. If that's the case, he may have decided to just revert to shooting a couple in the Vallejo area by the time the July 4th weekend rolled around.

Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:50 am:   

Johno,

Thanks to you too for responding! You wrote:

"How then would August 1-3, 1969 fit into your equations on celestial mechanics and the Zodiac killer?"

I think the answer is that it doesn't fit for a couple of reasons. First, one could argue that Z never really intended to go on his "kill rampage". But even if we accept that he did, I suggest that the solstice/equinox relationship is a one-way relationship. In other words, Z planned to do meaningful things near the solstices & equinoxes; however, he was not limited to acting during these times. He was free to do other meaningful things during other times.

Interestingly, if true, it appears that initially Z was intending to commit murders on these dates and later he settled for sending certain letters. This idea provides an explanation for the unusual tone of the Belli letter. The letter was sent in association with the winter solstice. It was the first time Z sent a letter rather than killing somebody (although he didn't do anything during the spring solstice...). In some real sense, the letter was being offered as a substitute for a murder. As such, the letter explains how Z has "this thing" inside him "in check", albeit marginally.

Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:03 am:   

Another implication of this theory is that Z actually may have killed Radetich...

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 4:38 am:   

Hey Mike,
I think your original find here is something well worth considering, that being the similarity between the compass rose and the drawing on the Phillips map.There's probably something to that in and of itself.

I think there are several obvious problems with the rest of it and without getting into them at this point, let me put it this way by asking...what would be the point in going at something like this (for him)if he wasn't/couldn't be, in a position to stick to it/get it close?

Also, how do you figure he could have been responsible for RR?

Mike_cole

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

Sean,

Thanks for your input! You wrote:

"...what would be the point in going at something like this (for him)if he wasn't/couldn't be, in a position to stick to it/get it close?"

Like I mentioned above, inaccuracy to a previous or subsequent weekend doesn't bother me much since Z appeared to prefer to act on the weekends. Also, I suggest that murdering people in such a way as to get away with it is not an activity that lends itself to precise control with respect to timing. If we accept that Crow and the girls at LB encountered Z, then we have evidence of Z attempting to find victims and failing. How many other such instances exist that we don't know about? Another question, how much did Z rely on finding the appropriate circumstances? We know at BRS Z initially parked behind the victims' car, left, and then came back. Perhaps he was checking to ensure the situation was somehow acceptable.

And we don't know how Z's attitudes changed over time. However, it is interesting to note that LHR, the very first murder committed by "The Zodiac," has excellent correlation with the winter solstice.

As a final note, I'd like to point out that I didn't go into this investigation attempting to prove a correlation with the solstices/equinoxes. Rather, I was attempting to find possible inspiration for the persona of "The Zodiac" that was somehow related to the compass rose. Bowditch did this very well with the added bonuses that (a) it's found on every ship in the U.S. Navy and (b) it makes a clear and compelling connection between "the zodiac" (navigational astronomy) and the solstices/equinoxes. In other words, I've just gone where the trail has taken me. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Is it meaningful? I think so.

Regarding Radetich... To be honest, I didn't pay too much attention to Radetich until I looked up some newspaper articles and noticed the date of his death. Of course, SFPD is and always has been adamant that Z had nothing to do with his death. However, it's pretty clear to me that SFPD adopted a policy of dealing with Z that involved denial and minimization. Yet, they probably did believe that Z had nothing to do with the murder. Initially a suspect, Joe Wesley Johnson, was identified. However, I don't think he was ever convicted... I have to do some more research on this front. I think Ed has some additional insight. Perhaps he can shed some light.

So, that leaves us with a murder that: (1) matches the claim made by Z, (2) involves no apparent motive, (3) has never been solved (I believe), and (4) occurred just prior to the summer solstice. That sparks my interest...

Hawk
Username: Hawk

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:56 am:   

Just as an added point, Mike's numbers are closer than that of the Astrology Killer which Graysmith feels is the work of the Zodiac.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 7:10 am:   

By definition Mike, given the areas and victims he chose meant he'd have to search. I've no doubt that on the first two occasions he was probably driving between LHR and BRS and areas in between looking for victims.
If he was, for example only able to carry out these murders at weekends, you would still imagine he'd get closer than the second week. Even to accept that he was confined on the murder side, he surely cannot have had the same constraints when coming to post a letter.
For me at least the poole of occurrences listed is too small. There are what? 20 odd letters in all.Nothing for the spring date, Stine doesn't come under anything. It just seems to me if there was something to this, it would align a little better.

Interesting find on Radetich, I thought someone was convicted for that. Incidentally I found another letter that could go to this. It's probably a fake though.(since we haven't seen it) I'll post on it in the letter section.

Mike_cole

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   

Sean,

Regarding the Belli letter, it was postmarked on 12/20 and received on 12/23 - the solstice was on 12/22. Also, there was likely a secondary (or primary?) motivation to have the postmark coincide with LHR.

According to Jake's site, the pines postcard was intercepted before being delivered. It appears the date of this interception was 3/22/1971 - a Monday. The spring equinox occurred on the previous day, Sunday, and thus no mail would have been postmarked on that day. So, it's possible the postcard was actually put in the mail on the equinox. In other words, this timing is really as close as practically possible.

I understand your points of disagreement. I think we will have to agree to disagree. Nonetheless, I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Sean

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:41 am:   

I wouldn't have any doubt Mike that he played with the Zodiac theme, but not that it was central.The best evidence I've seen of that(taking it in and of itself) was the posting of the "My Name is" code/letter. He uses that strange new symbol, which appears to be a Taurus symbol encolsed in a circle.
The 20th of april being the day the sun enters taurus. Of course it's also 4 months to the day after Belli, so again that would also suggest dual motivation.
So on that score you have LHR..BELLI..MY NAME IS, which fits perfectly with your idea. Perhaps there was/is a direct connection between those things that do align.
I still think if he wanted to go this route, he could pull it off/would be in a position to do so.
Maybe it's a case of concentrating on the occurrences that match only, rather than expanding the theory to include all.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   

Mike,
Full and new moons could-at times- factor in too.

I know you don't agree,but a'holiday' of some kind seems like fair speculation.Perhaps this is one reason why Zodiac didn't kill that often-all the 'signs' as it were had to be on or close,etc.

Starting at:
Bates 10/30/66 FM Halloween-very close-Harvest moon
Letter 11/29/66 FM

12/20/68 NM-Z calls this "christmass"

9/27/69 FM Feast of Tabernacles-on

10/11/69 NM Stine Columbus Day-very close

3/22/70 Johns FM Palm Sunday

9/6/70 Lass Labor Day on-Druid NM

Code One mailed on FM

11/9/69 code NM

Some examples

For example,June 19 1970 was a FM.On 10/11/69 was a new moon.On 9/27/69 was a FM.

Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

And 6/19/70 was a FM.Shot in head as with LHR;an attempt at a head shot at BRS as per Z's letter reference and PH was a head shot.

6/19/70-no conviction.Originally based on a witness seeing a man at night,with Officer/s feeding them Joe Johnson's photo from day one!
The car the man was seen in was moving at night so this was a good pair of eyes!

Johnson said (in Dec.'71) that he was out of town then as he was wanted by the SFPD-so he had fled the city long before the Officer shooting!

He saw his face on a wanted poster and that's how he knew he had been wanted for that crime.

Maybe Ed can be so kind,as he has done in the past,tell us if the papers said WHAT cal.the weapon was before Z's letter reference to a .38.

I can't find any reference to a.38 until AFTER Z's June '70 letter reference.
The N CA press seems to have withheld that info,but we need to find out.

I don't have the SF papers,just some.Checked the Oakland Tribune too.

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   

Thanks Howard! I'm happy to have input from you.

I actually checked a couple days ago. The S.F. Chronicle did mention that a .38 shell was found in one of the early stories. I'll find the quote when I get home tonight...

Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   

Mike,
Good as I wondered about that one detail.

I forgot to mention you did a spectacular job-as usual- in your presentation which is very thought provoking!

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   

Here it is... From Mystery Gunman Kills S.F. Officer, S.F. Chronicle, 6/20/1970:

"The only solid clue the police could find was the casing of a .38 caliber bullet lying outside the smashed window of Radetich's car."

Howard_davis

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   

Mike,
Great!I note the police and papers called it a "sneak" attack.Of course,Z had engaged in this kind of blitz attack at LHR,BRS and to a degree at PH.No proof it was Z,to be sure.

We will post the good Officer's autopsy.He was a hero.His kidneys were donated to those in need at the time.
His mother died of a "broken heart"about three years after the attack.His wife passed away a few short years later grieving over her loss and leaving a child behind.
Tragedy struck again when Radetich's brother who was on the force in San Mateo was involved in a drunk drivng accident.I agree with his mother's letter to the Editor that there was too much harsh treatment of this good man as his record was excellent.He did everything he could to make it right.
I felt very sorry for this good family.

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   

BTW Howard, thanks for the kind words.

Mike_cole

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   

The other possible implications of this theory are that (1) Kathleen Johns was abducted by Z and (2) the pines card was from Z since both events occurred one day after the spring equinox in 1970 and 1971 respectively.

Howard_davis

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   

Mike,
As we know Zodiac wrote the 3/13/71 and about 9 days later comes the Pines card 3/22/71 dated to the one year anniversary of the KJ attack.

Much has been made of Zodiac's one year post mark anniversary communications based on the 12/20/69 letter harking back one year to the 12/20/69 LHR attack,but Z(like the letter Z-only used once in the Halloween card and once on the envelope-only once did Z place his cross/circle symbol on an envelope!)used this 'one year missive timing' very rarely-unless unknown vicims- after the 'change the way and no longer announce a murder'letter were made reference to by some post 11/9/69 letter date.This is speculation,of course,as is most Z discussion content!

So our proposed forger of the Pines card reacheddddd for this small little used detail with the 3/22/71 year to the day John's abduction date when he could have selected a much more canonical Z crime.

Z,of course,remained silent with the publication of this Pines communication as well as the 'bloody cross'card.
Zodiac did send his 10/27/70 card some 22(!)days after the 10/5/70 card was mailed.Z did not denounce the 10/5/70 as a forgery,but this would be an arguement from silence.

Both the Pines and the Halloween card had Avery's named misspelled.

"Crack proof" appears in both the 3/13/71 and the 10/5/70.This seems like a cluster association of sorts as per my oservations above.
all FYI

Mike_cole

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   

Howard,

I'm wondering if Z thought it would take longer for the L.A. Times letter to arrive. As it is, it was mailed on the 13th, apparently arrived on the 15th and the newspaper published a story about it on the 16th. It could be that he was planning for this letter to arrive closer to the equinox (3/21) so the story would better coincide. Just a thought...

Scott_b
Username: Scott_b

Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   

This is a good theory, Mike. In fact, what you have outlined is in all probability the genesis of the killer's moniker. However, I wouldn't be too quick to rule-out the "astrology" significance to the Zodiac Killer as it concerns him on a personal level.

As you have noted, there is a definite correlation between the two; one being scientific and one being pseudo-scientific, and you are correct for pointing this out. On the other hand, belief systems are an intangible thing and, even though there is a scientific usage for "the zodiac" doesn't invalidate the notion that the "user" might be assigning a lot of the non-scientific variety to his "plan" and affecting the same result. For example, practitioners of certain "Black Arts," Wicca, Voodoo, etc., observe the solstices and the equinoxes in ritualistic and non-scientific ways. I think what you have shown is the scientific background and conclusions regarding "the zodiac" that are undeniable, but I don't think this negates the concept that the Zodiac Killer could have conceptualized his plan in a much more ritualistic fashion.

Mike_cole

Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   

Thanks Scott!

You're right; it's possible the killer attached some astrological significance to his identity as "The Zodiac," even if he derived the name from celestial navigation. We certainly can't prove he did not. However, the thing that influences my thinking on the matter is that there really is nothing in the accepted evidence of the case that clearly relates to astrology. On the other hand, the compass rose symbol ties in directly with nautical navigation and all the navy-related components of Z's persona (e.g. cryptography, KJ's description, etc.) tie in indirectly. I just think if astrology was a factor Z would have found some way to indicate it.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken.

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   

I don't think this theory is any more provable so far as the symbol and monikor as several other theories (rifle sight, film leader, watch) but it is well thought out and the ideas are consistent. This certainly is a plausible explanation and I find it personally intruguing as an amaateur stargazer.
I hope you continue to develop the idea. Good work!

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   

Mike,

I continue to think back to the diagram at the end of the Bus Bomb letter in which Z APPEARS to mark off his murders according to the solar calendar. This idea was independently discovered by several posters and discussed in the archived and deleted message board:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/BombLetter6.html

If this was indeed Z's intention, I believe it lends support to the ideas that he held some identification with either astrological symbolism or celestial navigation and that the circle/cross symbol has some form of deeper meaning.

As Okie Mike pointed out in another thread, I think it is entirely possible that Z's symbol was selected for its ambiguity and multiple possible meanings. Like the ciphers, letters and diagrams the Z symbol seems designed to create maximum possible confusion and establish himself as a mysterious, enigmatic, intellectual killer. I also agree with Okie that the theory will be difficult to prove but it is certainly terrific creative work and worth developing further.

I was blown away by this map, which you had discovered and posted in the archived thread. Very interesting...

http://www.zodiackiller.com/mba/gzd/1301.html

Mike_cole

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   

Sorry for not responding sooner... I've been out of touch for a bit.

Mike_cole

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

Okie Mike,

Thanks! You're right in that none of the theories are "provable" given the current set of facts. However, I do believe this theory is better supported than the others due to the actions of the Zodiac himself.

The compass rose, especially the kind that is found on nautical charts which includes an inner magnetic compass rose, is strongly associated with nautical navigation. By drawing what is clearly an amalgam of his own symbol and a compass rose, the Zodiac is the one who created the connection between his persona and nautical navigation. IMHO, the direct actions of the killer support none of the other theories in this way.

Mike_cole

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:37 am:   

Thanks Deoxys!

Yes, I'm familiar with the theory regarding the bus-bomb diagram. To be honest, I've never bought into that theory. As I think you know, I prefer to believe that diagram also ties in with the compass rose and it represents the geographical locations of the various crime scenes.

I'm glad you liked that map from the archived message board. That was from my very initial investigations into the compass rose.

Mike_cole

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   

"The precise moment of the 2006 solstice will be December 21, 2006 at 7:22 P.M. EST" [1]

Happy Winter Solstice... Was this concept a fundamental component of the Zodiac persona??

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   

Interesting thoughts. Happy Winter Solstice. Today is my one daughter's birthday. She was born in San Mateo in 1971, and the Doctor induced labor. I wonder if the good Doctor was into this Solstice theme.

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   

Having spent 10 years in the Merchant Marine as a radio officer, I found this interesting. All of the cadets that would come on the ship would have to practice celestial navigation, they still need to learn it.

Interesting thing no one has really brought up here - did you know that California Maritime Academy (merchant marine) is located smack dab in Vallejo? It's a quasi-military type of thing, during the '60's and '70's a lot of people passed through there.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   

I see it whenever I drive out that way along I-80, but never really gave it much thought. I idly thought it had something to do with Mare Island, if anything at all...

Kevin
Username: Kevin

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   

I have a retired sea captain friend who went to California Maritime in Vallejo during the time of the Zodiac killings. I asked him to look at Mike's page for his thoughts.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   

I am aware of that Maritime Academy Ship. I fished down there right next to it in 69-70. There was even some kook on the old board who claimed that Z was a cook at the Maritime Academy vessel,lol. You could see it from the old I-80 bridge over Carquinez Strait.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration