Sanford & Son? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » Zodiac Media » Sanford & Son? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:42 am:   

I recently heard from a good source that an episode of the 70s TV show "Sanford & Son" featured a reference to the Zodiac. Apparently Fred (Red Foxx) locked the junkyard extra tight because the Zodiac was still at large.

The episode just aired recently on TVLand. Anyone see it? I can only imagine Zodiac's reaction. LOL! Not exactly a high-brow show.

Dave
Username: Dave

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:27 am:   

Tom,

I have a few seasons on DVD and will make it a point to track down the episode. Fred actually referred to Zodiac on two occasions. The first was locking up at night, the other I believe, was a laundry list of things Fred was afraid of!

Both references appeared I assure you. Guess I'll go start a marathon!

D

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:18 am:   

I'd like to see those episodes. I loved that show. I don't have cable now.

Lamont Sanford , I have an affinity for. I lived on Lamont Court in Vallejo.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   

I don't understand the reference to Zodiac on Sanford & Son if the show is set in the Watts area of Los Angeles and the Zodiac is in San Francisco?

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   

Johno, The zodiac claimed to have killed in Southern Calif. He wrote the LA times, because they wouldn't bury him on the back pages,like the S.F. Chron did.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   

I realize that Sandy but I still don't get it.
The Zodiac wrote that in March of 1971 and it was never substantiated that he ever actually killed anyone in L.A. let alone that he was terrorizing Watts. Sanford and son didn't go on the air until January of 1972. By then it was clear that the Zodiac was not killing in the L.A. area and no new murders had been linked to him in San Francisco either.
I don't know when these two references to the Zodiac were made during the five year run of Sanford and Son but L.A wasn't in the grips of Zodiac fear during the show's 1972-1977 seasons.
Zodiac mails a letter in 1971 from the Bay area to L.A. taking credit for a murder of a white woman that occured in Riverside five years earlier and that there were others "down there", no other bodies are linked to Zodiac in southern California and he has killed no black people anywhere yet the predominantly black area of Watts is in fear of the Zodiac in the years of 1972-1977.
Maybe the absurdity of it made it funny at the time.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   

That is unusual, and makes me think that someone on the cast, crew, production , or direction, had inside info on the zodiac case.

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   

The various world news shows of the major networks (including Cronkite and CBS) featured the Zodiac case several times.

The S&S show was aimed at a national TV audience, not Zodiac experts. To Joe Public, Zodiac was just another nut in California that made headlines.

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   

While the L.A. area was not in the grips of Zodiac fear, people were quite aware of the case. In point: my cousin graduated from high school in greater L.A. in 1971 and she wanted to go to college at a school in the Bay Area. Her mother was against it as, among other reasons, "that horrible Zodiac Killer is up there". So by the time of Sanford and Son the general population in southern CA knew what Zodiac was. If any show needed a reference to an at large criminal, Zodiac would fit the bill just right. I watched the show fairly often but do not recall the Zodiac mention. It was probably along the lines of one charachter telling another, "You forgot to lock the door last night. Lucky the Zodiac didn't come in here and get us!" or such.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration