The Bishop -Serial Bomber Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Crimes » The Bishop -Serial Bomber « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   

Another serial bomber is at large. Apparently, he's been active for the last two years. This is the first I've heard of him.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=645 77

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/09/eveningn ews/main2457566.shtml

The bomber, who calls himself "The Bishop," writes taunting letters, mentioning Lee Boyd Malvo and Ted Kaczynski. He also send explosive devices.

Yarbchris

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   

An article at Stratfor, a global intelligence, analysis firm, contains the following:

"The letters themselves are poorly written, though whether that is an intentional ploy to mislead investigators is not known. In one letter, however, the author also incorrectly states the name of one of the men convicted in the D.C. sniper case, Lee Boyd Malvo."

"He wrote, "You will help, after all it is so easy to kill somebody it is almost scary. Just think it could be as simple as mailing a package just like The Unibomber use to do simple mail out a package and when the suspecting recipient opens it they don't even know what hit them, or maybe like Salvo did in the D.C. sniper case just a small hole in the trunk of the car and BANG!!""

" possibly the worst thing that can happen to someone is to have a child or grandchild go missing. Kids are snatched all the time and the poor parents are tormented for years not knowing what happened to their angel do you really want to be responsible for that."

"Having seen several of his deadlines pass without action on his demands, he became more belligerent and terse in his letters, and the attacks he threatened became more specific. Instead of discussing a wide range of possible attack scenarios, he focused on one: package bombs. In one letter, mailed in June, he begins the letter with "TIMES UP!" and threatened to mail three "packages" if a specific stock price did not "end green" for four specific days. If it ended green on two of the days, he would send two packages; if it ended green three days, he would send only one, and if it ended green for all four days the target would have "BOUGHT YOURSELF ANOTHER MONTH."

"He ends the June letter with the phrase "IT IS BETTER TO REIGN IN HELL, THAN TO SERVE IN HEAVEN.""

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:03 am:   

Lots of similarities to the Zodiac missives...

Yarbchris

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

I found the Milton reference interesting. He refers to John Lee Malvo as "Salvo." Though statistics and profiles point otherwise, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the author might be a female. I doubt it, though. I also doubt that the author was as interested in stock manipulation as in causing terror among the financial community as a whole.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   

Could the Bishops real name be something like John Paul ? The 666 he used is not a good number. The name Bishop which is 6 letters also = 6 in numerolgy. Zodiac has also 6 letters in his name but his = 4. I am surprised Z didn't use that Milton line.

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:07 am:   

VERY interesting case and yes, lots of similarities to both Z and Ted K. Has anyone checked Ted's jail cell recently? It also makes me think about the 1982 Tylenol murders in the Chicago area- another random act of violence but without the specific agenda.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/w/x/wxk116/tylen ol/

It is also interesting that both of the cases mentioned by "the Bishop" were ultimately solved by requesting the public's assistance and providing actual useful information to the public about the case. It will be interesting to see if LE has learned this lesson and releases actual letters to the public. Refusal to disclose communications to the public worked REAL WELL in the BTK case afterall...

Here's the Milton reference in context:

http://books.google.com/books?id=TNvDqfNVJ4cC&pg=R A28-PA31&lpg=RA28-PA31&dq=it+is+better+to+reign+in +hell+than+to+serve+in+heaven&source=web&ots=3bcIU 5AzNq&sig=peiqlQNzB856DblMaLTT4EsjBY8

For what it's worth, Milton's phrase is sometimes used to support the ideologies of Existentialist Philosophy and Social Darwinism. Even if it is being used as a smokescreen, it seems to indicate a perp with at least some college education, IMO.

Note to self: BUY stocks that the Bishop mentions in his letters.

L2829tad
Username: L2829tad

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

"But mabey you play chess with me" from unconfirmed letters..(The Bishop)...HMMM...L2...

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   

You might want to check out T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land, with its section titled "A Game of Chess."

Interestingly, Eliot drew a lot of his material for The Waste Land from Wagner, and Kaczynski (who's still firmly ensconced in a prison cell, locked down 23 hours a day) was big on Wagnerian allusions.

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   

L2829tad, that was the first thing I thought of when I read about The Bishop. I doubt though, that it is anything more than coincidence. The chess analogy is an obvious choice for someone "playing games" with authority. It will be nice to see him put in check.

Douglas, thank for the info. The use of "time" in the poem is indeed interesting, whether it relates here or elsewhere. It is a very haunting read.

BTW, a reward for $100,000 was issued Tuesday. Maybe the authorities are going to be more aggressive in the Bishop's capture than they have been in the past couple of years. I'm surprised the press isn't giving this more attention. It seems this story is found only if you're looking.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   

Yarbchris, Eliot's The Four Quartets was all about time. I'm not sure what you're looking at in terms of the word, but if Eliot fits you might want to have a look at that particular poem.

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   

I wasn't looking at anything in particular. I haven't seen anything regarding "time" that I, myself, see as truly relevant. I was just thinking about the talk of the word "time" in relation to the Zodiac. The Bishop did use the phrase "time's up", and wrote of targets buying more time. I don't see anything more than just coincidence.

I am a fan of written words, both poetic and prose, and Eliot certainly has his own way of using words. Since both Zodiac and the Bishop seemed to be influenced by literature on some level, I like to read anything that might have some tie-in to their thinking. It had been a while since I had read anything by Eliot, and I just wanted to show my appreciation for the reminder.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   

No problem, Yarbchris.

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   

A mail clerk at American Century Investments opened a package sent from The Bishop (containing an incomplete IED) and found a note inside reading, "Bang! You're dead."

The movie The Mechanic, with Charles Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent, concludes with Vincent's character killing Bronson's character, his mentor. Vincent's character then gets in a car and finds a note from Bronson's character that says "Bang! You're dead." Bronson's character is named Arthur Bishop. What a coincidence!

Yarbchris

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   

Here is a clip of the ending of the Mechanic, from 1972, containing the scene mentioned in my last post. Notice that Bronson's (Bishop) note also uses the phrase "end of game," which is a term used in chess.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JSCid-iOoe0

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:19 am:   

I've posted this link before on the subject of serial killer communiques since it discusses Z, BTK, Kaczynski and several others who have chosen to actively communicate with LE or the media. It seems relevant to this case because it discusses the various responses by LE to the communications and how effective these responses seemed to be.

http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol9is2/guillen.ht ml

I think the natural response by LE to this kind of case is to keep it secret, let the "experts" handle it and only release selected tidbits (if anything) to the public to prevent all of us wackos from calling in useless tips. It is the absolute WRONG response, IMO, as evidenced by Kaczynski's family's recognition of his Manifesto style, Rader's wife's statements after his arrest, the proactive use of the public in the D.C. sniper case etc. etc.

Someone knows this guy and would recognize his style, his ideology, his spelling, his grammar, his fascination with Milton or some other aspect of the communications. The only question, IMO, is whether they'll have the opportunity to put the pieces together.

If the Zodiac case had been handled by Wichita P.D., this case would have been forgotten about a long time ago...

Bababijan
Username: Bababijan

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:12 am:   

Deoxy, the police establishment in the state of California could not sweep the Z case under the rug for various reasons in later years because of folks like Dave Paterson, Dr. Howard Davis, Robert Graysmith, Harvey Hines, Tom Voigt ... Instead of what they had been doing, they could all go to Cuba to invest in a cigar factory. But they did not.

Outside of California, the Z case is still not a household name. However, there is a possibility that it may become one after the official release of the upcoming Zodiac movie.

A case that can be publicized to the hilt for maximum effect has a better chance of getting it resolved than a case which is being kept in an old wrinkly paper bag in the basement of a well-known police department.

Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   

Deoxys, thanks for the very relevant link. I agree that in this day and age, releasing a little more than what they do would be a service, rather than a disservice. Unfortunately, it seems to be a last resort.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration