Possible Inter State Serial Killers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Crimes » Possible Inter State Serial Killers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

We were discussing this on the hacked message board. Here's a new one that just occurred near Hagerstown, MD. A 24 year old woman from Silver City, New Mexico.

http://www.nbc25.com/main/

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 5:33 am:   

http://www.nbc25.com/main/modules/news/article.php ?storyid=2344

Chari
Username: Chari

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   

I bet she been raped, tortured, beat and stangled to death. since she been missing also, she had not been dead long. Not first or last killing.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:49 am:   

It turns out the victim had tatoos of 2 dragons on her back, and had been arrested in CA and Wash State in the recent past:

http://wjz.com/local/local_story_138080724.html

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_133143457.ht ml

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   

I forgot to point out that she was in Arizona also, and had another tattoo saying "Gypsy Rose".
I'm hoping Hawk and Johno and our other theorists about possible interstate driving serial killers will post!

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   

I've heard the FBI estimates between 30-50 serial killers are presently active in the USA.

Being that the FBI doesn't present much info on what crimes they believe these killers to be responsible for, in the past I have suggested that possibly us board members might be able to start identifying areas where a serial killer may currently be operating.

This thread and the case mentioned is a good start.

I'm not sure how aware most board members are, but for awhile now Howard and I have known about a potential serial killer operating between at least two states in New England.

Known as the "Connecticut River Valley Killer" he was most active in the 1980's, but there is evidence to suggest that he has been operating up there as recent as 2004.

Try and google search "Twilight Kingdom" for more info.

Wrecknball

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   

MY BAD! The above posted route is now defunct.

This one works: Google "Huff's Crime Blog" or for a faster result google "Connecticut River Valley Killer" and then scroll down to "Huff's Crime Blog". Complete with maps of the killers' body dumps, this article is great when comparing the crimes of 2004 with those of the 1980's.

There's even a "nurse" connection, same as some rumored Z-victims.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   

There was another murder that took place in Fredrick MD.Her name was Tracy Lynn Kerpatrick. Her killer placed a phone call to the local police,saying he got into a arguement with her. He said he stabbed her with a small knife that he has with him at all times.He said that she was working at a clothing store.She was not raped ,he did not steal any money. And his voice was very much like the man who calls me,that is why I remember the case so well.He had a speech impediment, and spoke slowly.I don't remember the date she was killed but I believe it was in the late 80s. She was very pretty and a good girl,who also worked at a laundermat.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:27 am:   

Here's a link to Tracey Lynn Kirkpatrick:

http://www.cityoffrederick.com/departments/police/ Homicides.htm

Wreck--thanks for the info--I'll check it.

Linda
Username: Linda

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   

Hi, Dave... Dusty Shuck is the young woman found just recently along the I-70 here in Frederick County. Apparently, due to lack of evidence at the scene, police feel she was killed somewhere between New Mexico and Maryland; I believe that tips being phoned in seem to indicate the possibility of a trucker being involved. Other than that, there’s nothing more on the case that I’ve seen recently.

And Sandy, you're right, the Tracey Kirkpatrick murder occurred in 1989 at a shopping center (just a couple of miles from where I live). Tracey was still in high school, only 17 years old. She was working in one of the clothing stores at the shopping center and was last seen around 8:50 (just 10 minutes from closing). There were no other employees in the store – she was the only one closing. (I have a major problem with this – allowing a juvenile under the age of 18, who requires a worker’s permit, to be in a store without adult supervision – especially for opening and closing a store… but, that’s another story in itself). The front entrance to the store leads to a large parking lot for the center and there was an exit door to the rear of the store. It has been felt that either the perpetrator hid inside the store until closing OR that Tracey knew the person and allowed him/her to stay after she locked the doors or let that person in herself after closing (if the case was that she knew him/her). I think, too, it's believed that the murderer left by the rear exit. I don't remember that any weapon was found - but I could be wrong - it's been so long.

Anyway, from what I have heard over the years, the police apparently do have a fairly strong - but un-named - suspect in mind, and I believe it was someone who knew Tracey; however, and unfortunately, there was no concrete evidence to charge anyone and the case remains open. A very sad case.

If I get hear any updates on either of these two cases, I’ll certainly let the board know.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

I read the info on the Connecticutt River Valley cases--interesting.

This area where I am is a body dumping Mecca! You have I-80 going coast to coast, and have I-81 going from Canada down to Tennessee. You also have the Pennsylvania Turnpike going thru here, and I-70 from the west headed to DC and Baltimore. Truckers have to use these routes from the west to deliver goods to NYC and the general east coast megalopolis!--I'm not saying the killer was a trucker, but it gives us a perspective.

You also have the Lincoln Highway(route30) going thru here from NYC to SF, and you have the National Highway (route 40) going from DC to Illinois.---I'm hoping some of us posters can help solve some of these crimes.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:17 am:   

I forgot to mention--the tattoos on Dusty's body reminded me of the Devil drawings at Fish Head Beach--Cutshall/Allen. They seem to be from the same school of art!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 7:30 am:   

Dusty got picked up by the police at the Ontario, CA airport in March! There is a story about it in the Frederick Post of May 11, if you want to pay the archive fee.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   

Here's something else. Dusty has a friend in CA who worked with her at the bowling alley in Silver City, New Mex. Maybe some of our CA posters could talk to her while the case is still hot!!! We are seeing a pattern here--CA, WASH, Arizona, New Mex, El Paso, MD. Points in between are of interest too.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/dis play.htm?StoryID=49041

George
Username: George

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   

Dave,

Thanks for the links, which place Dusty's discovery in/near Mt. Airy, MD, about forty miles southeast of Hagerstown. This one looks especially ominous -- as Linda noted, very little evidence at the scene.

Dusty had schizophrenia and a history of walking away from hospitals and clinics. In New Mexico, I think, she was either abducted or, perhaps impaired by her condition or medication for same, accepted a ride from a stranger.

Either way, it looks serial. I hope I'm wrong on that angle but there are some disturbing earmarks in the mix. If the criminal was driving a truck, a heavy, eighteen-wheeler, he may be extremely difficult to capture. If he's criminally clever, he can create alibis and as a truck driver has legitimate reasons to drive anywhere and at all hours.

To that end, there may be one ray of hope. Her murderer dumped her along the side of an Interstate highway, and while I-70 can be dark in places, depositing her right next to an Interstate is very unsophisticated and reckless. (If he wanted to "display" her, there are any number of exits he could have taken and used a different road for this purpose.) Dropping her next to I-70 may also indicate that the killer was unfamiliar with the area outside of I-70.

He did her in with both knife and blunt-force trauma; if he's serial, he's a predator and nowhere near stopping. But it's just my opinion.

Dusty weighed all of 100 pounds. I hate people who prey on easy targets! And I agree with Chari; if serial, I doubt this was his first.

You mention truckers. One I'm aware of who was serial is Jesperson. I read a very interesting book about him but can't recall the title.

Scott_b
Username: Scott_b

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   

George wrote:

"You mention truckers. One I'm aware of who was serial is Jesperson. I read a very interesting book about him but can't recall the title."

Was it I: The Creation of a Serial Killer by Jack Olsen? If so, it's a damned fine but highly disturbing book.

George

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   

That's the one, Scott! I'd never read Jack Olson before that book, but read a couple of others of his after reading this one. I agree, excellent reading but at times feral as hell. Especially the one he dragged on the highway under his Peterbilt.... I did learn a lot from it, though.

George

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   

Dusty was found fully-clothed. If her killer were a traditional sexual predator, it's probable that she would have been nude or only partially draped. I hope that they carefully checked how well her clothes fit. Some murderers do try to put the clothes back on a victim and they often don't do a good job of it.

Yet in this case there seems to be no hint of a sexual assault in the first place. She walks away from a mental health center in Silver City, New Mexico and just happens to end up 2,500 miles away on the shoulder of I-70. Something's wrong with this picture. Additionally, she was found near a truck stop, not at one. There may not even be a truck connection, at least of the eighteen-wheeler variety. This is a weird murder. I can't even think of a plausable scenario as to why she ended up so far from home.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 9:40 am:   

Excellent obsevations, George. I don't think this guy is finished yet. She may have been trying to get to Baltimore or DC, or NYC, if she was hitching.

I'd like to read that Jack Olson book.-------BTW, the letter from Dusty's friend in Wrightwood, CA that I linked to was removed from the Newspaper's posting board!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   

I got my maps out today. I have 2 scenarios of how Dusty got to Mt. Airy MD. My Aunt used to live in Las Cruces, and her husband previously had a photo shop in Deming, and my DAD had flight training for B-17's in Deming, all of which are near Silver City!--My grandparents had a home in Tombstone, and her sister had a home in Yuma.----I think Dusty got picked up and travelled North to Denver, and hit I-70 East, or got picked up and headed East on I-10, thru Texas and Arkansas, and Tennessee, then took 81 North, thru VA, eventually hooking up with I-70 near Hagerstown, MD. All of this indicates a trucker, to me. I am an old Hippie(lol), and have travelled these routes over the years. I await comments!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   

I don't want to press the issue, but I also lived in Utah, in Tooele, and my youngest daughter got married in Sedona Arizona. I am somewhat familiar with the SW. When I came down thru Amarillo and Clovis in 1977, I passed thru Roswell, Ruidoso Downs, Almogordo, Mescalero, Tularosa, White Sands, on my way to Las Cruces and Tombstone. On the way back, if you can believe it, I hit Graceland!---I just offer this to show possible routes of our suspect.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 6:33 am:   

Here's an update:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PA_INTERSTA TE_BODY_PAOL-?SITE=PACHA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEF AULT

Breezewood is along the PA Turnpike.

George

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   

Yes, a trucker seems almost definite. The timeline seems to be around ten hours, very loosely, from when last seen (alive) to when found. The article says "evening" of May 3 so I interpret that arbitrarily as 8 PM. Then she was found 5:45 AM, May 4.

Last seen alive: "The evening" of May 3, 2006, at Petro, a truck stop in Breezewood, PA. (Two witnesses.)

Found: 5:45 AM, May 4, close to a truck stop in Mt. Airy, MD, on the shoulder of I-70.

* According to the article, police suspect that she was murdered after 9 PM, May 3, 2006.

Another mystery is the schizophrenia. The articles which have mentioned the illness say she "was doing better," which is vague; maybe she was indeed much better, good. But why such an extensive series of truck travels? She disappeared on April 24. Perhaps she was abducted from the start, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. If she was of sound mind, she knowingly left behind a four year-old son. However, I don't know his situation and due to her illness he may have been domiciled elsewhere than her residence. Need more info.

Dave, this thing is really strange. Right now it seems that Breezewood, PA and the truck stop, Petro, there accelerated the start of her demise. It appears spur-of-the-moment (opportunistic) but might it have been prearranged in some fashion?

It still seems unusual to travel so far in such a fashion; very dangerous, she was on the road, alive, nine days.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   

George, you are much more objective than me. You really lay it out there! You are right about that Breezewood truck stop and the Petro station. Breezewood is about 40 miles from me, and the area in question is on I-70, which fits in with my post above that Dusty may have made it to Denver and took I-70 East. I think there is a good chance she was killed in PA.

This whole I-70 scenario south from Breezewood to Frederick reminds me of the original Z case because I-70 follows indistinct county and government jurisdictions. You can be in PA, MD, W.VA, or VA in a very short time. This guy is going to be hard to catch. One idea I had was that if he gassed up in Breezewood, LE could backtrack and estimate where he had previously gassed up.-------I have an old college friend(nickname--"The Breezewood Balls") who still lives there. I'm going to try and get him to check a few things.

Incidentally, the local paper where I got this update from today, has already deleted this story.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=i nternal&addtohistory=&latitude=%2b4m1J7jWMDY%3d&lo ngitude=qW%2bv0T07Vik%3d&name=Sac&country=US&addre ss=121%20N%20Breezewood%20Rd&city=Breezewood&state =PA&zipcode=15533&phone=814%2d735%2d4503&spurl=0&& q=Breezewood&qc=Convenience%20Stores

Zoom out on this link and you can see the Mason Dixon line and major highways. There have been other bodies of females dumped near Carlisle PA over the past 10 or 15 years.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:34 am:   

George, do you know if Dusty's body was found off the Eastbound or Westbound lanes of I-70 by Mt. Airy? If in the Westbound, the perp could have been circling back to the I-70, I-81 interchange at Hagerstown. There is another gigantic truck stop in Greencastle, PA, just across the border.

Petro is like a city in itself. Click on the large map here to see locations of Petro stops along I-70 from Kansas to Carlisle, PA:

http://www.petrotruckstops.com/location_detail.sst g?id=53

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   

Wreck, I can't forget about your post above. There is definitely an active serial killer here, whether he passes thru or has a local connection. Anyone interested should google a map of south central PA, and imagine a rough triangle of the following:-----Start at Carlisle and go west on I-76 to Breezewood. Take I 70 south to Hagerstown, MD. Then take I-81 north back to Carlisle. This guy is operating here! There is an even bigger Petro station in Carlisle, with a truck driver's movie theatre!!!

Within the past year, the Cumberland County DA had a sting operation going on at truck stops in Carlisle. Several drivers were arrested for solicitation. Our perp may be trying to throw this back in their face.

The interesting thing about where Dusty's body was dropped is that you can go a little west to the I-81, I-70 Interchange--turn south and go all the way to Tenn, then hit 40 west to the El Paso area. Or stay straight on I-70 west and get back to Kan/Colo. Or, turn north at the Interchange at Hagerstown and do the whole circuit over again!

George, her shoes are missing. Maybe a trophy or an indication that she was killed outside the truck cab!-------I may go to Breezewood tomorrow for a Blimpie sandwich and a shower, just to check things out.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   

George, I found out that her body was dumped on the East side of I-70. This could mean that the driver was headed to Baltimore, or he could have hung a U-turn to get back to that I-70, I-81 interchange.

Just conjecture here, but from the descriptions of the bodily injuries he may have hit her in the head with a "blunt" instrument and beat her up inside the cab. I doubt if he wanted to get blood in his nice Tractor Trailer, so he probably took her outside to slit her throat!( I know this is gruesome-it hurts!)

In addition to my guesses about how Dusty got to PA, there is a closer route from her home. I-40 up to Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Joplin, and then intersecting with I-70 in Illinois.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   

Maybe someone could do a psychological profile on me, since I am posting so often!

I'd like to get Musky's comments on the condition of the body.

Since Dusty was seen at Petro in Breezewood on the night before her death, I would hope that LE has put a freeze on all credit card transactions at that location for that day! It's a good bet that the driver uses a credit card, and possibly a Petro credit card. If this was not premeditated somewhere out west, he stopped there to gas up, eat and find a lady.

And, it's not out of the question for that Connecticutt River Valley guy to be down in this area. He'd just have to take I-84 from Conn. over to I-81 south, and be down here in a matter of hours. BTW, Dusty's body was dumped off the eastbound lane of I-70.

Chari
Username: Chari

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:38 am:   

I know they have a fuel cards from trucking companies that have their names on it. My dad a truck driver and he tells me this. I hope they keep the reciepts.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   

Chari, you are so right. There are no Petro truck stops in MD, so this may be a clue.

Here's another case in the same area.

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_164110737.ht ml

Google a map centered on Mt Airy, MD and I-70--zoom out. You will see that this latest case is connected to I-70 E too. Her credit card was used last in Reisterstown at a bar. The burned out van(reminds me of Z "by fire"), was found near the Baltimore beltway, which if you backtrack , heads up I-83 to Harrisburg and Carlisle,PA, and I-81 again. Interesting to follow.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   

Now it turns out that there were more than 2 witnesses who saw Dusty at the Petro Truck stop in Breezewood the night before her body was found.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=813406

My take is that she hitched from out west and got dropped off in Breezewood. She was unlucky enough to get picked up by this Homicidal Serial Killing truck driver who has been operating around the East Coast.

I stand corrected. There is one Petro stop in Maryland, in Elkton, on the Delaware border. There are also 2 near El Paso, and 1 NW of Silver City.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   

This fits in with our discussion of Inter State Serial killers, and hits home to me because the victim is from my home area.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? AID=/20060620/NEWS/606200318/-1/NEWS

He left home 6-7-06 (no vehicle mentioned, btw) to go to his job in NYC from the Poconos, and was dumped over a week later in NJ (still no pov mentioned)--If you google a map of Vernon, NJ-Sussex Co., you will see that the body was found roughly half way between I-80 and I-84. Also note how close the Conn. border is via I-84.

I know this is far fetched, but it can't hurt us all to stay aware of the possibilities, and it is a hot case.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   

Here's another. On I-81 none the less. Notice the body was seen along the road at 6:00 am. Police found a receipt that placed her at a Pilot Truck stop earlier that morning.(2, 3, 4 am?) Was she deliberately run over?

http://www2.abc27.com/news/stories/0606/338480.htm l

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 6:31 am:   

We have a vehicle description. Might he have seen or disabled her car at the Truck stop and followed her?

http://www2.abc27.com/news/stories/0606/338799.htm l

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   

They found the Russian woman's body that I linked to above in a wooded area of Owings Mills, MD. Still no info on who may have done it. Her body was found 6-20-06.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   

Here's a better pic of the tattoos on Dusty:

http://www.davenemo.com/hotnews/MCAC.pdf

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:50 am:   

Interesting. The Breezewood truck stop is in Bedford County, and Shuck was found not far from Williamsport, MD.

http://www2.abc27.com/news/stories/0706/342964.htm l

Angie
Username: Angie

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   

Sorry to be jumping into this one so late, but I just finished reading Olson's book about Jesperson & it truly is a disturbing book... I also recently read that on 6/14/06, Jesperson was finally charged with the victim found east of Gilroy in '93 - she is still unidentified & despite the fact that he wrote a letter to the Santa Clara County Distric Attorney's office in '97 to confess the murder, it still took 9 years to charge him. Apparently, they were hoping to have an ID on her before they brought charges. Sounds like they are willing to forgive the death penalty if he chooses to help them find out who she was.

(Dave, I'll send you the book... it's well written, but quite sad)

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   

Angie, thanks, I'd love to read that book. I read another Olson book, but I forget the title.

Wrecknball

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   

Angie, I'm wondering if the "east of Gilroy" victim is one of the people Dalles Mckinsey thought his trucker stepdad was to have murdered.

Being that this thread talks a lot about trucker serial killers, I reccomend picking up a copy of Mckinsey's "Childhood Lost"...

Angie
Username: Angie

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   

That's a good question, Wreck... and unfortunately, because there are so many missing & presumed murdered young women along the I-5 corridor, it would be virtually impossible to:

#1. determine how many actual victims there are out there
#2. determine who is actually responsible for each crime

I have little doubt though that some of these victims have been claimed by more than one murderer.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   

Now this interests me. They have a name of the trucker that did it. It was a hit and run fatal. He is being handled with kid gloves. The victim had receipts from the truck stop nearby, either on her body or in her van.---If I did something like this, you could be sure I would be smiling at you from behind bars.
http://www2.abc27.com/news/stories/0706/343329.htm l

Muskogee
Username: Muskogee

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   

Like Angie, I'm a bit late joining in...

I've been thinking about this case today, and your discussion about it. I think some great possibilities are raised, here, regarding the how/who/where/and when of this murder. However, I don't feel I know enough about this case to hazard a very educated guess regarding many of the aspects of this crime. I'd really need a detailed description of the wounds/injuries to give you any "useful" information.

While I think the killer *could* be a trucker, I don't feel this is a given, by any means. The only evidence I see (at least, from what I've read) that supports this at this point is the long distance Ms. Shuck traveled. On the flip side, she could have traveled as far as she did without any truckers being involved. If there are other similar murders across the country, I'll be more inclined to suspect a trucker. Other similar deaths nearby (in PA, MD, etc.) certainly don't rule out the possibility of the killer being a trucker, but, IMO, don't make an exceptionally strong case for it. First, I'm not seeing enough evidence that these crimes are related (I'm not saying they're *not* related, just that I have no reason right now to believe they are). Second, assuming they are connected, I believe that the killer could just as easily be a "local" who travels in the region for work or recreation. Assuming Ms. Shuck "hitched" across the country (and we still don't know if she did or not), she may have gotten rides from non-murderers until she reached Maryland and met her killer. The fact that her body was near a truck-stop may or may not be important. When I've traveled across the country, I've seen as many, if not more, private motorists as truckers at truck stops. All of this is just my opinion and supposition, and I'm really just playing devil's advocate...

Ok, back to the body! I'm assuming the authorities believe Ms. Shuck was killed elsewhere and dumped d/t lack of blood. In a murder involving open wounds, this is the most obvious indicator that body location does not match the location of the murder. There are other reasons they might come to the same conclusion (for example, position of rigor being inconsistent with the dump location). This is important because it indicates another location was quite a bloody mess immediately after the murder. Even with thorough cleaning, it will be difficult to eradicate all traces of blood from the kill location. If the police have a suspect (for example, Joe Trucker), it will then be possible to check a suspected kill location for trace blood (for example, Joe Trucker's cab). However, without a suspect, a cleaned-up kill location will likely go un-noticed.

The *way* Ms. Shuck was killed could indicate a number of things. First, it could be "overkill" by someone who knew the victim and was quite upset with her. It could be "overkill" by someone who didn't know the victim, but still became quite upset with her (or transferred anger towards someone else onto her). She could have been beaten (without the intention of murder) with her assailant "accidentally" knocking her unconscious during a struggle and then had her throat cut to assure she didn't tell police she was beaten if she "came to." She might have been beaten unconscious and the throat-cutting was for "assurance" that she was dead. These are just a few thoughts that come to mind. Again, without more detail about the injuries, I can't tell much more.

The wrapping of the head could indicate the killer was ashamed, though this clashes with fact that she was dumped in plain sight along the road. This could indicate the killer knew his victim, but I don't know how likely that is. The killer might have wrapped the head for utilitarian reasons: to minimize blood spatter or spray (during the murder) or drainage (during transportation of the body).

IMO, the dump site indicates the killer was either in a hurry or didn't care if the body was found. I agree with earlier discussion, that it wasn't being actively "displayed," as there were better ways to do that. When I think of lack of emotional investment regarding a dump site, I think of contract killings, drug war killings, and gang-related killings. Victims I've seen in these categories, though, have generally been shot in the head (efficient way to kill without having to get "up-close" to the victim and risk personal injury), so this murder doesn't strike me as falling into these categories.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   

Muskogee, thank you for your excellent assessment. Like you, I don't believe the other deaths I linked to are related to this one.

She was at the truck stop in Breezewood PA, and I think there is a good possibility she was killed in PA, and dumped in MD.

Muskogee

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:13 am:   

This case is interesting, to say the least. I'd love to hear more thoughts on the matter.
George? Wrecknball? Angie? Sandy? Dave? Scott?

I have to say, for all the silly things some posters write (need I remind anyone of Nate's Double Wide Trailer?), we have a lot of cerebral talent on this board. My brain has NOT been working too well these days, so apologies if the marathon post above is incoherent at all. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   

Muskogee, given your interest in forensics and crime , I post this. It all happened about 30 miles from Breezewood, and I-70 could have been used as an escape route. I know this killer is of a different ilk from the serial killers we are studying (Domestic Issues), but it gives a flair to the issues around here, and he is obviously familiar with all the escape routes. He is still at-large.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&st ory_id=143627&format=html

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   

Here's his latest pic--It keeps changing every day! The weapon was first described as a 30-30 Winchester rifle, with casings found. Today on some web news there is mention of a shot gun!

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&st ory_id=143624&format=html

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   

Here's the original pic, with much cropping done to it. He had a jade necklace in the original.

http://www.nbc25.com/main/modules/news/article.php ?storyid=3046

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   

Here is the conclusion to the case of the fatal hit-run tractor trailer accident:

http://www2.abc27.com/news/stories/0806/352121.htm l

Muskogee

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   

One of the strangest things I learned from one of the Maricopa County MEs, is that, especially at high rates of speed, it's possible to hit someone without knowing it. She said it's not uncommon for freeway "hit-and-run" drivers to think they hit debris in the road or to be completely unaware of hitting anything until they see the front of their vehicle. I can get into the specifics of how-and-why, if anyone's curious. It was counter-intuitive to me, but the mechanics behind it were explained to me, it actually makes sense.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   

Just for some light Friday night reading, here is the conclusion to that domestic case I linked to above:

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/localnews/ci_42 34670

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   

I received an e-mail from someone who went to High School with Dusty, and hope to keep you up to date, while preserving their privacy.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   

Here is a high school pic of Dusty, from Tucson, sent to me by her best friend then. No new word on the perp from around here:

shuckC:\mysettings\mydocuments\shuck.jpg

Colette
Username: Colette

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   

There was a recent case of Casey Crowder, teen who ran out of gas and was murdered. They caught a suspect who is a long distance trucker. At the age of 46, who knows what all he has been up to. Kenneth Osburn was employed by USA Trucking of Van Buren as an over-the-road driver -- a job that has taken Osburn across the country. Here is just one story: http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0906/365275.html

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   

Here's another high school pic of Dusty from Tucson. I'm hoping someone will identify her from her trip from Silver City to Breezewood, PA. Someone bashed her in the head with a blunt object, slit her throat, and threw her out along I-70 in Maryland.dustyC:\mysettings\mydocuments\dusty.jpg

Colette
Username: Colette

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   

There have been many cases where a female bike rider or jogger has been run down by car so they can be sexually assaulted. Dusty was a pretty girl, I hope they solve the case.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   

I doubt if she brought her bike from New Mexico.--Even if she was hooking at truck stops, she didn't deserve this.

I have an informal psychic advisor here, although I don't believe in the para-normal.--He describes the truck as a step-in delivery truck, similar to UPS and FED-EX! Makes sense to me--deliveries to and from Balto, DC, Pitt, Harrisburg, and local deliveries.

A question I have--why come across country on I-70, stop at Breezewood, PA, then head south toward Balto and DC? Was she with this guy all the way, or did he pick her up in Breezewood?

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   

The murder of Dusty Schuk is going to be hard to solve.
She going through a rapid decline in her mental health during the last months of her life and had a history of running away.
She suffered from shizophrenia and was functional and normal when on her medication but she had a history of not taking it. When not on her medication she could become agressive and confused.

She had lived an orderly life working and raising her four year old son and was the same kind and giving person by all accounts that she had been since childhood but in 2005 she began talking to herself and claiming to be hearing voices. She was not a drug addict but she had done meth in her early 20's and it may have triggered the schizophrenia. By the fall of 2005 she had quit her job at a bowling alley and started traveling and hitchking around the western states.
She also had an inexplicable desire to go to Canada although she had no friends or relatives there.

She also suddenly claimed that she could speak 10 different languages fluently and would speak gibberish and get frustrated that people couldn't understand the language she was claiming to be speaking.
Her only police record had been a failure to pay fines in a criminal traffic case in Arizona from 2004.
In February she was found shoeless and dehydrated in a pecan field in Tucson and sent to a mental health facility but walked away from it in mid February and disappeared until mid March when she showed up at her father's in California. By now she had a rap sheet that included trespassing, disorderly conduct and weapons misconduct.
by April she had been in and out of mental health care facilities and homeless shelters in Arizona, California and New Mexico.
She had spent Easter with her mother and was showing an improvement in her mental health and was taking her medication but she still had this desire to go to Canada. Her mother tried to stall her on these plans by saying she would help her get a passport and help her to get there but it would take several weeks to get everything in order hoping to buy time to talk her out of her plan.

I don't know if she ended up with a serial killer. She may have ended up with some undesirable individual or individuals in her last 9 days alive on the road. Not taking her medication her mental condition would probably have been pretty unstable. The knife that killed her might have been her own. Somebody could have attacked her or she got in a fight with someone and she pulled the knife and they clubbed her in the head and took her knife from her and cut her throat out of rage.
I don't even think it was a truck driver that killed her but she ended up with some individual or individuals who were promising to help her get to Canada and they were some real seedy people who staked out truck stops and rest areas to rifle through unlocked cars and trucks to steal stuff. Something went down and they killed her and dumped her.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:09 am:   

Johno-WoW-Where did you get all that info?

I still think it was a truck driver. She was at the Breezewood truck stop, after coming cross country on I-70 I presume. Then found near a big truck stop on I-70 east the next morning in MD.

A question I have--Was it someone who followed her from New Mexico to get revenge, like an ex? I doubt that. Why would they wait so long to kill her?--I don't think she was killed with her own knife. I like your thoughts about seedy people stalking truck stops, but I don't think they have murder on their agenda.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:30 am:   

Here is an example of what we are dealing with:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PA_TRUCK_ST OP_RUNAWAY_PAOL-?SITE=PACHA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE= DEFAULT

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:14 am:   

Mother offers $10,000 reward in Dusty case:

http://www.nbc25.com/content/fulltext/?cid=10186

In a related note, 2 more unidentified male bodies were found along I-81 north of Harrisburg.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration