The Phoenix Serial Crimes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Crimes » The Phoenix Serial Crimes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   

Here's a brief rundown of what's known so far:

The first series of shootings began in May 2005. Police believe 25 shootings may be related, although only four have been definitively linked by physical evidence. Four people were killed and five wounded in Avondale, Tolleson and Phoenix. Three horses and five dogs also were killed.

The "Baseline Rapist" first attacked in August. The murders began in December, when Tina Washington, 39, was snatched from a bus stop in broad daylight. Since then, four other people have been killed, most recently Carmen Miranda, 33, who was abducted from a self-serve carwash June 29. Police believe the "Baseline Rapist" is responsible for 19 attacks that also include sexual assaults and robberies. They say he was on foot and made contact with the victims before the attacks.

The third predator is believed to be responsible for as many as 13 shootings in Phoenix since May 2. The victims have all been walking, biking or outside alone between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. Police say this series of shootings is believed to be linked because of the method of operation and evidence, although the evidence does not definitively connect the individual shootings. The last two victims were shot 20 minutes apart early Saturday. All the victims have survived.

Wrecknball

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   

Nancy Grace featured the Phoenix crimes on her CNN show last night, and the episode is scheduled to air again on Saturday

Deoxys
Username: Deoxys

Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   

For anyone interested, these cases were profiled on America's Most Wanted last night.

Links to profiles of two of these suspects:

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=37563

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=39736

I tend to think the "Baseline Rapist" is going down soon.

Wrecknball

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   

This case is all the buzz right now as you will see if you type "serial killers" into the Yahoo search engine.

Something I actually found funny....one article was about how the Guardian Angels have decided to step up their presense in the aftermath of it being determined that there were indeed two killers. What's funny is that the article said they were increasing patrols in Southeast and Eastern Phoenix while most of the attacks have occured in the West/Northwest area of the city. Good looking out guys!lol

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   

If I were a Guardian Angel I would patrol in a nice air conditioned Mall.

Wrecknball

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   

Yeah Jim...you're telling me!

I mean here's a guy going around shooting random people at night, and as a Guardian Angel you're about as good as neighborhood watch, so what are you gonna do if this guy decides to shoot you?

That's why it's so funny that they're patrolling in areas where this guy hasn't even been hitting. Either someone at GA has their head screwed on straight and doesn't want to get shot or they're a complete moron and think that they're actually making a difference.

Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   

On one of the cable news programs the reporter said Phoenix was a low crime area? On the local PHX news all thats on is car crashes, shootings, drownings and illegal alien dumping. Robert Fischer who killed his family and then disapeered is still on the FBI's most wanted list. Sammy the Bull Gravano on the witness protection program was arrested for selling the drug extasy. Transient Crimes are never solved and home invasions are common. Not only that but former governors have served time in prison. The Keating SNL fraud were from ARZ also. How any times has the show COPS been filmed in Mesa, Tempe or PHX? Lots of illegal drugs come accross the border in ARZ and in PHX there are the Sinforina Cowboys, the persons who make the money smuggling in the drugs, dressed in cowboy hats, boots and gold jewerly.

Wrecknball

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   

I just saw on CNN last night that they had a shooting this past weekend that they have added to the list of Serial Shooter victims.

One of the problems is that in Arizona you are legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm which bodes for an increasing crime rate.

Chari
Username: Chari

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   

what if robert fischer had done the killings?
iam not saying he did but never know

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 5:48 am:   

Arrests made in relation to the shootings:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14180059/

No new news on the baseline killer.

Jim_t

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

When Robert Fischer went into hiding in the mountains north of Phoenix the TV station reported on the late night search and one station hoping for a scoop, said he was holed up in a cave and the police negioator was talking to him thru a robotic dvice. The next morning nothing. the station never mentioned anything about any negiaotions with Fischer. Fischer is still on the FBI's top ten list

Muskogee
Username: Muskogee

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   

Phoenix is where I went to med. school and did all my learnin' with the medical examiner. I have nothing but praise for the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office...they're amazing. Between my experience with them and as a ride-along with Phoenix Fire (to keep my EMT skills up), I can say there is some strange, messed-up stuff that goes on there. While I didn't do autopsy work anywhere but Phoenix, I've done emergency medicine in a lot of other places (just outside Philly, the cornfields of Indiana, San Francisco, and Houston), and I think Phoenix is the winner for strange occurrences of violence...some cases were so strange, I wouldn't have believed them if I hadn't seen them myself.

A side note about Fischer: we were in Phoenix at the time of that fiasco. My husband's friend from work was dating someone from the Scottsdale PD who was tangentially involved in the case and writing a book about it. I don't know what ever happened with that, though...

Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:22 am:   

Muskogee, do you remember another murder case similar to Fischers? The husband said he took his wife and two step children to the airport to visit the wife's sister in Minesota, but they never arrived. The police searched his house but found no evidence. Later Sherrif Joe got involved and removed all the carpet and bedding and drained their cesspool. This is not the Morris person who shot his wife and took her body to San Diego and dumped it in the ocean. Later he became a suspect because he was having an affair with his wifes sister. When they did DNA testing on blood they found in Morris's house, to see if it was the wifes, they also tested their kids and found out that the daughter grandfather's was also her father(incest).

Muskogee

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:22 am:   

This rings a bell, but I wasn't involved in it, myself. I think this might have been the case near my house around 2001 or 2002 (NW side of town)...where the police thought the guy might have dumped the bodies in a mine shaft? I remember this because there was some private property I used to hike on near my house that had some old abandoned vertical mine shafts. The mine shafts would be great for body disposal, except the mine shafts I knew about were in some steep terrain over which it would be hard to transport a body. Of course, there could have been other shafts near dirt roads or something that I didn't know about. The mine shafts were unmarked and hard to see unless you were almost on top of them.

There was one shaft I passed by on most of my hikes. I checked the depth of it by throwing a rock and calculating distance based on the time it took to hit the bottom (please see "geek" thread...). I believe it was about 120ft. deep.

Jim_t

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 8:56 am:   

Speakng of mine shafts remember the AM-Track train that was derailed outside of buckeye? Someone left a note on a road nearby that claimed the Aryan brotherhodd was responsible. The searched alot of mine shafts and found alot of cars and stuff but nothing connected to the crime.

Jim_t

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:09 am:   

Muskogee were you involved in the case of the woman in Scottsdale who dismembered her ex-husband. She said he came to visit her and he had a heart attack, she was affraid the police would blame her for his death, so she went to a home depot and bought an electric chain saw. She put the body pieces in plastic bags and dumped them behind a supermarket in a dumpster. A deliveryman saw a mercedes benz parked by the dumpster and told the police after the body was found. The body was identified by the tatoos. The woman was only 5 ft tall and looked like Farrah Faucet.

Muskogee

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   

Hmmm, I don't remember either of those two. When did they occur? I only lived in Phoenix from Aug. 1999-June 2003 and from June 2001-June 2003, I was in-and-out of the area, as I did a number of "away" rotations (each a month at a time).

Muskogee

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   

Oh, and I wouldn't drink the tap water in Phoenix. I'm sure it's safe, apart from the occasional fatal case of Naegleria fowleri, but everyone seems to like to dump dead bodies in the canals. The canals supply the tap water. I'm sure the water's cleaned up properly before it reaches the faucet, but still- it's kind of gross.}

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   

That reminds me of a biography I read about the famous Bronte sisters who lived in Yorkshire and whose father was a local minister. The well that supplied their drinking water was right below the churchyard where most of the locals were buried. Sweetest water in town, no doubt.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   

Muskogee, LOL. I have a friend who is a baggage handler at Phoenix I A. I'm going to relate your canal theory to him. BTW, some web sites are referring to Phoenix and Las Vegas as suburbs of LA!

Jim_t

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Musky, Phoenix has had alot of infamous crimes and murders and the local news really builds the stories up for maxium tabloid style reporting. The boy who asked his older girlfriend to marry him and she said no. Later he asked her to meet him at where he worked, a landscaping company. He grabbed her and tried to push her into a huge wood chipper! He wanted to commit a double suicide but slipped and fell in and she was okay. Another time a family took a hot air ballon ride and the ballon caught on fire, All of the family jumped except the grandfather. The ballon kept rising higher untill he had no choice and jumped at 500 ft! The television reporter intro line line was "Imagine a familly going on a hot ballon ride that caught on fire and kept on rising, until finially one family member decided to jump. this happened to a local man today."

Muskogee

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   

Douglas, that's a piece of Bronte history I'd never heard! Places not to drink the water: Yorkshire, Phoenix....

Dave,
That's a heck of a commute...as I recollect, it's about a 5 hour drive! There are a lot of folks from LA living there, though.

Jim, this case was related to me at the ME's office...it was actually a "copycat," of another suicide-by-woodchipper that happened in Phoenix. I did not believe them at all; I thought the folks at the ME's office were screwing with me (they tend to joke around, and I've been known to be a bit gullible), until I read about the cases independently. Later, I did see autopsy photos from the first case (the one that "inspired" the case you're talking about)...not mulch left to autopsy.

You're so right about the local news there...I didn't watch the t.v. news very often, but I read the Arizona Republic and was additionally amazed at the amount of factual errors about cases I was involved in.

And now someone in Phoenix let rattlers loose in a theater where they were showing "Snakes on a Plane." Now, personally, I think this would be quite amusing, but I'm in the minority of folks that likes snakes, including rattlers. I found those mine shafts I was telling you about when I was hiking in remote areas looking for rattlers.

Jim_t

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   

Thank you for reading my post Musky, do you remember the case of the boy that shot another boy because he thought he was trying to steal his girlfreind. He put the body in a garbage can and it was taken to the dumps. he later admitted to the crime but they couldnt find the body. They used ground penetrating radar and spent 100's of thousands od dollars removing layers of trash but couldnt find it.

Muskogee

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   

Jim, thank you for your interesting posts! Do you remember what year this was? I don't recall the case.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   

Muskogee, I enjoy your posts, as well as the other posters. I have an Arizona connection too. My grandparents owned a home in Tombstone--I visited them several times--killed a rattlesnake with a rock near their home. Wish I wouldn't have killed it now. My great grandparents owned a home in Yuma. My daughter got married in Sedona, and I lived in the Salt Lake City area in 46 to 50. There was no talk of serial killers or murderers in my experiences there, except of course on Allen St., The Crystal Palace and Boot Hill in Tombstone.

Muskogee

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   

Dave,
We used to go up to Sedona to hike and we were in Tombstone once. I'm surprised you didn't get bitten by the rattler! Was it sluggish because of cold weather?!

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   

I had an Arizona connection also, my mother-in-law lived in Sun City West, the retirement community in the north of greater Phoenix from 1983 to 2000 and we spent a fair time there off and on. I can't say I know the town well, but know it better than just passing through. I still have several astronomy friends in Phoenix, one in Prescott and one in Vail, just south of Tucscon. I always had the impression much of Phoenix was a rough town, and was not surprised to hear of serial shootings and a serial rapist at large.

Muskogee

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   

Awww, OkMike! You could have stopped by and visited! I lived right down the street from SunCity West!

Some of the neighborhoods nearby had old folks driving golf-carts on the regular streets. Not the safest practice, and I recall a number of motor vehicle vs. golf-cart accidents (golf-cart usually lost). I got to help autopsy one (the driver, not the golf-cart).

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   

I was there in April. The rattlesnake was about 10 yards away from me. I picked up a rock and threw it. It just happened to hit it in the head! Seems I have always been lucky that way. But, I should have left it be---it was not threatening me. Probly looking for horned toads, mice, and other critters!

Musky--did you go to Nogales? That was a good time for me. We also went to Collosal Cave, and the Saguaro National Monument, in addition to Patagonia. Some day, I want to see the Grand Canyon!

Jim_t

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   

Phoenix has some of the fastest speeds on streets, cars average around 50-60 on some streets, in town, Some report said cars average about 57.5 running red lights. Lots of bad accidents in intersections. Alot of hit and run drivers involved in fatalities. It seemed like every busy intersection had the remains of flares, ash and broken glass. Lots of stolen vechiles too, some head south accross the border, other are joy ridden by teen gang members then dumped on the Indian reservations.

Muskogee

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   

Dave,
Yeah I've been to all of the above! We went to Collosal Cave, just because we couldn't pass up going to a place with such a cheesy name. It turned out to be pretty good. Patagonia is great for bird-watching, but I only went there once.

I only hit Nogales once, too, but a few of my classmates in med. school did rotations there. I had a great time harassing my friend and fellow classmate there. She is extremely rich and a bit out-of-touch with average folks. She's terrified of poor folks. She wanted to go to Nogales because she heard there are some "great buys" on silver jewelry in Mexico. Previously, she had only left the country with her parents to go to Europe. She was terrified that, on returning to the US, the border patrol was going to think she "wasn't American" and keep her in Mexico. This girl is Ashkanazi Jewish, with the whitest skin you've ever seen and bright blue eyes. She doesn't speak a word of Spanish. No one would possibly question her country of origin, but I had a fun time worrying her about it the whole time we were in Mexico.

Jim, you're so right! The "timed" lights don't seem to help much. How's that saying go? Lights timed for 35MPH are also timed for 70MPH.

A lot of folks piled 8-10/vehicle sans seatbelts, too. Keeps the ME busy. This was the lion's share of the autopsies I saw/worked on. It's a good way to learn how the laws of physics apply to the human body.

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   

I know what several of you mean about the driving in Phoenix. I remember feeling as I was being run down with cars zipping past left and right because I was only going 10 mph over the legal limit!

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   

I am going there in two weeks to do some investigating of two of my suspects. One who is there now,the other one who was there in 86. Looking for more handwriting to check out againest known Z notes. Not looking for the Base Line killer for sure.

Muskogee

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   

OkMike- it's a deadly combo- old people driving 30MPH under the speed limit and rednecks driving 30MPH over the speed limit!

Sandy, good luck on your trip! Stay out of the sun and keep hydrated! Watch out for the aforementioned drivers!

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   

My baggage handler friend from Phoenix was here today. He loves it there, and said he would not move to anyplace else right now.---I mentioned the drinking water, and he said they only found one decomposed body in the canals.

Sandy--enjoy your trip! Take pics and give us your thoughts when you get back.

Sandy
Username: Sandy

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   

Vallejo Dave/ Muskogee, Thanks for the warning. I wish someone would have told me about the water in Florida a few months back ! Very bad, even to bathe in. I will take pictures Dave, I know how much you like pictures. Geez only one decomposed body in the water ?

Muskogee

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   

Dave, no offense to your friend, but 1.) I don't know that the PPD reports all the bodies directly to your friend, 2.) They're not all decomposed when they're pulled out...some are quite fresh, and 3.) I personally saw more than one body come out of the canal in the very brief time I was with the ME!

Keep in mind, most murders don't make the news there. The news is very quiet about most gang-related, drug-related, or homeless murders. I saw one drug-related triple homicide that got about a 3 sentence article in the paper. Unless your friend is with the ME's office or the PPD, I think it's unlikely he's going to have a good grasp on the number of bodies in the canals. But that's just my opinion.

Additionally, there are accident and suicide bodies occasionally floating around in there. They got there by different means, but they're still fouling-up the water!

Jim_t

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   

One of the most famous drownings around Phoenix was at Lake Pleasant above Sun City when the newspaper heiress (cant remember her name, but her family owned the Contra Costa times and some other newspapers) disapeered off a houseboat. Her husband or boyfreind road buffalous at rodeos and was a suspect. They found her body somewhere near the houseboat a couple of days later.

Muskogee

Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   

Most of the canal bodies I saw were killed elsewhere and dumped in the canals. The only drownings I recall off the top of my head were: a suicide drowning (canal), a homicide drowning (swimming pool), and an accidental drowning (Salt River). The accident and the homicide were in the news.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:29 am:   

A man was arrested in the Baseline killer case today, I read the article minutes ago.

Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   

The Phoenix sniper/serial rapist has been one of the biggest stories since the Phoenix arsonist who burned down homes that were being constructed near open park space, wildlife areas. Eventualy he was caught but not before he gave an interview, in person to an independent weekly newspaper in Patriot park next to downtown Phoenix.

Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   

The person arrested is responsible for only two of the crimes committed in 2005 and does not match the evidence that connects 11 of the 23 sexual assualts. He lives in the area the crimes occured and just a block away from where the women was kidnapped from the car wash. His wife and neighbors can't believe it, and feel the police have the wrong man.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   

42 year old construction worker Mark Goudeau.
Wife calls it a miscarriage of justice and says he's innocent of the September 2005 attack on two sisters.
Police chief Jack Harris says Goudeau is not linked to any of the other crimes.
Doesn't match the 25-30 year old age range they were looking for.

Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   

Tonite on the Discovery channel they have a program called "Crimes that shook the World" on the Phoenix strangler. It's a good program last week's was on Ivan Millat and the week before was on BTK. By the way Mark Goudeau was charged as the Phonenix serial rapist and had a dreadlocks wig and other disguises.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration