Identity of Jack the Ripper set to be... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Crimes » Identity of Jack the Ripper set to be revealed! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean
Username: Sean

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 9:01 am:   

Breaking news over here....records from the original investigation in 1888 have been uncovered by a descendant of one of the investigators.These are being loaned to Scotland yard and apparently contain the name of the person they thought responsible at the time!

Etphoto
Username: Etphoto

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 11:57 am:   

My guess is the name of the "top" suspect is properly already known and has been looked at by all the investigative reporters that have followed the case over the years.

ET

George
Username: George

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   

Sean, thanks for the post. I'm interested but as ET said, new information, even if previously unknown and somehow surfacing now, forces me to be skeptical. But stranger things have happened. What'll interest me most is the credibility of the explanation of how such material is only now appearing after nearly 119 years.

It's still important news, and I don't much follow the JTR crimes but it's the world-famous serial crime series which has had unsuprassed influence from changes worldwide in law enforcement to tens of millions of serious followers since the crimes occurred. (I only hope that Druitt isn't the one named: of contemporary JTR suspects, Druitt is the teenaged "Ricky" from the Benecia LHR report of Zodiac suspects, in my opinion.)

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   

There were two police jurisdictions involved where the murders took place.
Metro Police suspected Aaron Kosminski who was eventually put into Colney Hatch Asylum where he died.
City Police suspected Hyam Hyams who also was also put into Colney Hatch Asylum but was eventually released.
Kosminski was the the most favored suspect and I wouldn't doubt that that is the name which again will come up.

Nick
Username: Nick

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:46 am:   

I'll go out on limb and guess they are personal records of Chief Inspector John Littlechild, and the suspect is Francis Tumblety. It would fit as apparently Littlechild's investigation resulted in Tumblety being charged with the Whitechapel murders on November 12th, 1888. He allegedly jumped bond and fled the country prior to his trial date. The problem with Tumblety has always been that nearly all of the official documents are missing. Some historians feel that Littlechild may have hoarded them prior to leaving his post.

Sean

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:39 am:   

Here's a follow up from todays newspaper:-

RIPPER NAMED

A woman-hating Polish barber has been nemaed as Jack the Ripper- in notes by the cop leading the original case in 1888.
Aaron kosminski was identified as the prime suspect by Chief Insp Donald Swanson.And yesterday Scotland yard pubically backed his expert opinion.
Kosminski's name, along with reasons why he was the killer were found written in the margin of an autobiography written by Swanson's boss. The book was later found by great-grandson Neville Swanson,68- and yesterday went on display at Scotland Yard's crime museum.Det Supt Steve Lovelock, head of the Yard's crime academy, said " Swanson had most information available, His opinion is of significance"...
Kosminiski, a polish Jew who came to England in 1882 was already one of several suspects for the slaughter of five prostitutes in London's East end. He was first named in 1894 by cops who said he hated women and had homocidal tendencies.
Chief Insp Swanson's notes say an eyewitness picked him out but would not give evidence. He died in an asylum shortly afterward".

George

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   

Kosminski was the man sometimes called "David Cohen." (The names sometimes confuse me as well.) "David Cohen" and Kosminksi, according to Martin Fido's dissertation, were one and the same. Fido is one of many JTR theorists but he's one of the best of the lot, is a researcher of forty years and works from facts.

I'd never assert that I knew who JTR was but Fido's dissertation, which isn't overly lengthy, is sensible, logical and fact-based, to my eyes. Johno's correct, another strike against Kosminsky/Cohen. Sean, thanks again.

Johno

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   

It's been long believed that Kosmiski was a lunatic but his mental health had descended into stereoypical raving lunacy and his brother and relatives and neighbors suspected he may have been involved in the Ripper murders.
A member of the Jewish community had identified Kosminski as being near the scene of the Eddowes murder but the Jewish community didn't want to have it on their conscience that they helped send a man to his death through the inevitable death penalty he would have recieved when convicted.
The police sympathized with their point of view because they didn't want to arrest a Jew for the crimes and then be criticized as using a member of the Jewish community as a scapegoat and thus fueling an anti-semetic atmosphere among the already tense situation of the murders.
It's believed that the police put him into an asylum very quietly and assured the Jewish neigbors and relatives who were in on the arrest that they would not execute him or even try him but they would never release him from the institution or publicize his arrest.
It really seems like this is what may have indeed happened and Kosminski was in fact the Ripper.

Etphoto

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 5:50 am:   

John,

You're saying the cops covered up the identity of the one of the most notorious seriel killers of all time so they wouldn't hurt of the feels of the Jewish community?

ET

Johno

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   

No Et, It had nothing to do with the feelings of the Jewish community. You didn't read my above post as I intended it to be conveyed.
The police were afraid of the potential of a volitile situation.
The Jewish population may protest that the police are simply arresting a Jew for the Ripper crimes so can have a suspect in custody as a matter of convinence and claim anti-semitism.
The non-Jewish populace meanwhile would be fueled with rage that a Jew and a foreigner was the culprit and they would take out their hostilities in mob-fashion against the Jews and riots would break out and hundreds of people would be injured and dozens more may be killed and Jewish owned shops would be burned down.
The police didn't want an anti-semetic fueled riot resulting from a publicized arrest of a Jew as Jack the Ripper.

Sean

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 6:33 am:   

This would be further backed up by the writing on the wall that the police supposedly erased as the time,for those same reasons.
I can't remember the exact words but wasn't it something like " THE JEWS ARE NOT THE MEN WHO WILL BE BLAMED FOR NOTHING".
Something like that, although there were other claims that "JEWS" was spelled JEWES giving rise to the Freemason link.

Etphoto

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   

Johno, Sean,

You're probably more read up on the ripper case than I, but protecting the identity of the ripper inorder to aviod a possible riot seems farfetched to me.

Now, the cops having a strong suspect and not enough evidence to make an arrest. Then, getting him committed to a mental hospital so the killings stop, I can believe that.

Kind of like the FBI not having enough evidence to arrest and convict Capone on murder charges. So they get him for tax related charges.

ET

Bryanthegiant
Username: Bryanthegiant

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   

Well I have been on a couple of the walking JTR tours and the popular theory is that it was the Queens doctor that was the JTR, he was covering up for the first murder with 4 other murders, Inspector Abberline, knew who the murder was, and in 1911 when asked about the theory if the doctor was indeed JTR, he said thanks finally some besides me know now the truth (Abberline lived to ripe old age after retire a few years after the murders had stopped)Who has the power to stop the investigation? The Queen? The Royal Carriage had been seen near each of the scenes, the Doctor had full use of the royal carriage. Kominski, although a favorite suspect would not have the Queens, or the Freemasons protection.
Bryan

George

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   

Heck, why not Jill the Ripper?

L2829tad
Username: L2829tad

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   

Or,Jack + Jill "The Rippers"..Great Point G..
.......Later...thardu..........

George

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   

I don't know who JTR was but a Kosminsky/Cohen, to me, makes more sense than the Royal Family theory or believing as fact that the Goulston Street graffito was certainly written by JTR or that a midwife who was really an abortionist is a great suspect as she could be out at all hours and be bloody and the police wouldn't suspect her.

There's already a gigantic Internet site about JTR and there exist a few similarities between the Zodiac killer and the Ripper but there are many significant differences as well. Anything's possible but it seems to me that JTR is the deadest of dead horses.

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   

Kosminski is an excellent subject especially for the police of that time since they were looking for someone who was obviously crazy. The inonculous type SK's who would fit into society werent what they were looking for. On one of the A&E or discovery programs a profilier named Smallwood (?) said Kosminski fit his profile to a T. Both Swanson and Aberline said the suspect died soon after being put in an insane asylum. Kosminski outlived both of them? Other than eyewittnes what evidence did they police have agaisnt Kosminski? I like the Lodger suspect but he probably never existed.

Howard_davis
Username: Howard_davis

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   

I will take Insp.Frederick George Abberline's(he was lead over the ground detectives in WhiteChapel-he was sent to the Ripper case as he had an intimate knowledge of the East End and was a very keen detective)suspect-in his latter years- George Chapan(Severin(!)Antoniovich Klosowski).
Chapman was a Polish surgeon(he could not make it in England so he became a barber)that came to the East End around 1887.
He lived a few yards from where rhe first Ripper victim was found and wa salways easily within striking distance of each victim.

Some(except for Mary Kelly)or all of the canonical victims were taken down and their throat cut 'military style.'
Chapman was in the Russian military.Not only did they use the same methods as the Ripper (as per a Russian ex-military man I know) using a knife,but getting training as a military surgeon-in addition to hospital work- Chapman HAD to learn to work fast even the dark due to battlefield conditions,and we find that the Ripper did the same.

The only evidence against him being the Ripper was that in his later years he (slowly!) poisioned three wives!Some don't see a match to the Ripper's mentality,but this is easily refuted.
It was found in police reords that he had beaten and tried to strangle his wives and that on one occasion he was about to take a ' long knife' to one of them,but was prevented from doing so at the time.

He was hanged for these crimes.Abberline said that Chapman had eluded them as a suspect while the Ripper was working.C worked as a barber in a basement in White Chapel for a time.

As soon as he arrived in America after the R murders,a woman was killed in NY in Ripper fashion.The papers screamed that the 'Ripper had come to America!'C went back to England.

Philip Sugden leans towards Chapman as being the best suspect and he is one of the finest historians around as well as writing the first truly well documented Ripper book.All FYI

Vscantu
Username: Vscantu

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:45 am:   

Very intriguing, Howard. I like the angle about him being a 'battlefield surgeon'. As such, not only would he have had to learn to work fast in the dark, but he probably would have had lots of experience seeing men (and possibly civilian women- you know, "collateral damage") with torn open stomaches, guts, etc. He would have probably had many instances where he was forced to handle the victims' exposed vital organs (intestines, kidneys, etc.) in order to put them back into place & sew them up to save their lives.

It's a short jump from that to the 'Ripper' to performing this in reverse; tearing apart the Whitechappel 'unfortunates' in a fit of murderous rage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration