Gerald F. Mason Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Crimes » Gerald F. Mason « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hallowtim
Username: Hallowtim

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   

Here is an amazing case. Gerald F. Mason robbed four teenagers while they were at lovers lane. He also raped one of them. Upon his escape he was pulled over by two patrolman. He shot and killed them, but not before being shot in the shoulder by one of the officers. It took them forty five years, but due to a fluke...the caught him.

http://www.apbweb.com/articles-z29.htm

So see, all it takes is that one piece of evidence that can start a chain that leads to a killer.

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   

Someone over on the A&E boards was convinced this guy was Z, and when Ed Neil put him in his place the guy went nuts...

Hallowtim

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 8:14 am:   

I can certainly see how the crimes has some 'z' tone when the program first started. Here is a guy who attacked some lovers at lovers lane...BUT then he took and raped one of the young girls. Something 'z' has never been reported as doing. Then he robbed them, and tons over other stuff that weren't 'z' motives. No, not even close in my opinion.

Etphoto
Username: Etphoto

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   

I wonder what new FBI print database the article refered too.

ET

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

It's interesting to note that Mason was arrested only once and that's the reason his prints were on file. After the rape and double murder, he committed no other crimes anyone is aware of (or that he's admitted to), and lived a respectable life. So... is it too much of a stretch to think that Z may never have been arrested before or since the Z murders, which is why his prints have never been identified?

Etphoto

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:59 am:   

I agree Ed. Its hard to believe that a psycho can go on a several year killing biege and then stop and live a respectfully life. In fact, I would have doubted it until the recent arrest and conviction of BDK.

ET

Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   

Nope Ed, not too far of a stretch. Secretly that was what I was thinking.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   

Etphoto: Z's known career in crime lasted a little less than 10 months. Rader murdered 7 of his 10 known victims in the first 4 years of the 31 years he was at large, and took his next 3 known victims sporadically over the following years. So, keeping Mason and Rader in mind, it's not difficult to see that Z could never have been arrested and led a respectable life afterwards. And that is probably the main reason he was never identified: he did not fit the profile LE had developed for him. If he was ever questioned, then he was obviously cleared immediately and forgotten.

Etphoto

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   

Ed,

That is just it. His "known" career in crime. I'd be surprise if his first crime was murder. He probably had some pattern of crime that evidentually graduated to murder. He just never got caught. Or, he got caught doing some petty stuff and was cited to a lesser court that didn't keep the records a higher court would keep.

I'd like to compare it to a mountian climber. You spend a lot of time working up to Mount Everest and once you climb that, what else is there to do? I can see Z working his way up to murder and after he did that for awhile he got . . . bored (for a lack of a better word) and stopped.

I first had the theory that Z was either dead or in jail and that is why he evidentaully stopped his murdering. But now I'm not so sure.

By the way, that is my first name, Ed. You know what they say. Two Eds are better than one. :-)

ET

Etphoto

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   

Secondly, I think Z was probably questioned at some point in the investigation. Probably thousands of individuals were questioned at some point or another. I has been my experience that once a cold case is solved the name of the person evidentaully arrested is somewhere in the case jacket (for the majority of the cases, not all). Either they were always a suspect or someone that was questioned briefly and released.

It wasn't a cold case but once the dust was settled and the dirtbags arrested, it was discovered the two Washington DC sinpers, Malvo and the other idiot, were questioned at least once during the investigation. It was at one of the crime scenes a cop briefly stopped them and after a few seconds waved them along. It was found out because the cop wrote down the license plate of the vehicle they were in.

ET

Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   

Not sure if he was questioned. Some think he may have avoided that whole investigation.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:49 am:   

I think Z at some point was questioned - maybe in a friendly way and sort of off the record.

I also think his other crimes are arson related.

Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   

This Story was on Forensic files again.

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:35 am:   

I totally agree with Ed. I believe Z's desire to kill was actually fairly minimal. I think he really desired publicity and notoriety.... My background is in Public Relations and trust me - attention, no matter how much you desire it - gets old.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration