Nascar? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Sports » Nascar? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hallowtim
Username: Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   

Any Nascar fans here?

Douglas_oswell
Username: Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   

Is the bear Catholic? Does a Pope use the lavatory in the woods?

Socal
Username: Socal

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   

I love sports, but haven't got into this one. What am I missing?

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   

Count me out on this one too. I don't get it either.
People are crazy for motorized "sports."
You could strap a motor to a squirrel's ass and people will pay money to watch it go around a track.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   

Count me out too. I grew up near Pocono Raceway, and passed Sears Point every day when I lived in Vallejo.--I was never tempted to watch . I'm more into people sports as opposed to metal contact.

Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   

You're missing a lot. My brother is a race car driver. Not in Nascar but small track racing.

You see some misinformed people think that there isn't much to the sport, but there is. Week after week you have to spend many hours getting the car in shape. Your car has to be perfect and your driver the best. Your driver sometimes has to go out there in 110 degree weather, add the heat of the motor and the inside of the car can reach 200 degrees plus. It's about being the best.

I don't down sports I don't like, because I know that many of those athletes go out there week after week and pour their guts into insuring that their teams win. It is the same with racing.

Hallowtim

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   

Sorry I brought this up, you all know me I try to keep things cool. Say Ed or Tom can you delete this thread.

Sorry everyone....didn't realize I touched a rought spot.

Scott_b
Username: Scott_b

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   

NASCAR is going 100% ethanol next year.

Johno

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   

You didn't touch a rough spot. I'm sure none of us hate Nascar who have commented above. We just don't follow it. I'm sure no one is misinformed either. We know all about it and have seen it for years and years but have never caught on to it and by now we likely never will.
I'm not too much into Indy, Formula, Cart or Le Mans racing either.
Snowmobile racing I like.
A good demo derby once in a while ain't too bad.
Figure eight demo is pretty good.
Demo derby with cars hauling trailers is the best.

George
Username: George

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   

HallowTim,

I know about the significant athleticism a Nascar or racecar driver must have - God knows many a PGA golfer wouldn't make it behind the wheel - as well as the necessity of being a skillful driver, knowing your vehicle, your sponsors, your crew and the rest of it.

As Johno said, I simply don't follow Nascar; I don't despise it. I don't care for the hard sell by Nascar: Danica Patrick or images of milk-drinking race winners who, the next time they race, deliberately knock cars out of contention. This sort of grasping, but admittedly good PR (play up the violence) has grown old to me. Plenty of Nascar fans on the board, I'm sure.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

I wouldn't necessarily say I have anything against it, but I'm annoyed by it. I live in a small city of about 30,000 people which twice a year gets visited by 120,000 individuals who, while they may be the salt of the earth, don't look, act, or smell like it. Don't get me wrong; they're great folks, but they're so damned uncouth. I had to laugh at my son a couple of years ago. He took a job at the racetrack directing traffic at a parking lot, and when he got home the first thing he said was, "I never want to see another redneck again, as long as I live!"

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   

Doug, earth salt isn't supposed to smell good.

By the way, I'm not a NASCAR fan either. However, to imply Tim's a redneck because he's into it is what I'd call a stereotype.

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:45 am:   

Heaven forbid we should indulge in stereotyping.

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:57 am:   

Lots of NASCAR fans resemble Larry the Cable Guy. However, I'm sure not all are rednecks. (Trust me, I live in Oregon and know rednecks.)

Douglas_oswell

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:22 am:   

I know they're not all rednecks. But so what if they are? Being a redneck is no crime. Or are you insinuating it is?

Tom_voigt

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:23 am:   

Tim, good thread.

Believe it or not, there's a NASCAR connection to the Zodiac case. Ever heard of Jeff Gordon? He's a driver who has had HUGE mainstream success, even hosting Saturday Night Live. Anyway, he's a close blood relative of a guy named Buzz Gordon, who was a Vallejo cop and dated Darlene Ferrin just months before she was killed by the Zodiac.

True story.

Hallowtim

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 5:53 am:   

Thank you everyone, and a big Thanks to Tom. I just didn't want to have been the one to have started a thread to cause any friction.

I didn't know that about Jeff Gordon. I have always followed him. He isn't one of my favorite drivers, but I know the guy has a lot of talent.

Nope, believe or not...I'm not a redneck LOL, not that there is anything wrong with it. I guess we each come from different back grounds and naturally that is what makes the world what it is.

Racing does run strong in my family. My Uncle was a famous illinois short track racer. My father was part of his pit crew, and did some racing also. My Dad's good friend, started out in small tracks and was just starting out in the indy racing until his was killed in 1971. It's never been solved.

Hallowtim

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 6:13 am:   

In fact, if I can find the article I will post more information about Henry Pens, in the crime section. Maybe someone will come along with information and be able to bring closure for the Pens family, my father and all Henry's friends.

Bryanthegiant
Username: Bryanthegiant

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 7:36 am:   

I'm into Nascar, I like to follow Jeff Gordon because he's from near where I got older (wife says I never grew up) and drivers from California are a rare breed. I also live in San Diego and follow Jimmy Johnson. All though I'm not a JR fan I follow his Navy car in the Busch Series. I think Tony Stewart should be suspended two years from nextel and made to stay down in the Busch series for two years
Bryan

Hallowtim

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   

I follow Mark Martin. It is ashame he is retiring this year. I guess sooner or later all the veterans have to retire. It will be nice to see him driving the trucks full time.

Jeff Gordon isn't my favorite driver but I have a lot of respect for him because he does have a lot of talent.

Johno

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   

Nascar driver Tim Fedewa is my brother-in-law's cousin.
Nascar driver Dick Trickle is from the town I was born in.

Nick
Username: Nick

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:25 am:   

Of course there are deep intricacies to all motor sports. But it's more about the machine than the man, and as such, it's always been a hard sell to a television audience. 100 laps around an oval is how the average American views a racing event. For most, the occasional right turn and checkered flag are the only highlights.

NASCAR has done a great of selling the sport to a wider market over the past few years. Standings and point systems have helped, but the biggest boost has come from giving the drivers distinct personalities and story lines. On and off track feuds are common now and the commentators seem to be schooled in breaking it down for us. I sort of liken it to the difference between olympic wrestling and the WWE. Can't say I blame them.

BTW, my favorite driver is Kurt Busch... : )

Racerx
Username: Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:34 am:   

Tom's right. Jeff/Buzz are related. Jeff's stepdad, John Bickford, moved the family to Indiana when Jeff was a little tyke. Jeff also is a co-owner of Jimmy Johnson's team, another vallejo born driver. Nascar is not going to ethanol next year, that is the IRL. Sunoco has a long term contract with Nascar. Dick Trickle, as close as can be guesstimated, has won more races than any other driver. second place isn't even close;when he got his break in Nascar he was 58 years old,Nascars oldest rookie of the year award winner. Dick is still racing today in other divisions.USAC/Nascar held yearly events at Riverside in the 60's; Arthur Lard Ass (ALA),was a race fan at that period of time.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:52 am:   

Jeff Gordon used to live in American Canyon (Rancho Del Mar), and raced in the track in the parking lot of the Solano County Fairgrounds--carts. The family moved to Indianapolis to further Jeff's career.

I would not be surprised if ALA hung out at Sears Point Racetrack.

Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:17 am:   

ALA had a racing license, he could not compete or even get on the course without it.members only.

Socal
Username: Socal

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 7:03 am:   

Same here. I don't hate or dislike Nascar. I have never been into any time of racing.

Alot of folks love it. I am sure it is very exciting to the people that understand it.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 7:47 am:   

I must say I am a fan of the Andretti racing family. Nazareth is near my home, and Mario is still very popular there.

Does anyone know if there was a Vallejo Speedway, and where it was? ALA comes to mind.

Racerx--Is that the "Trickle Down" effect?

Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:23 am:   

Good one Dave. If you could save the Mario book for me,I'll buy it. You are less than an hour away from me, when I get a chance I'll make an appointment with you and stop by and pick it up. also any books on Indy roadsters/drivers of the 50's and 60's.

Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:49 am:   

Also Dave,Vallejo Speedway ran from the 50's to 1979. It was located somewheres in vallejo; it's either a parking lot or a Wal-Mart now.

Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:57 am:   

I am getting ahead of myself here;Vallejo Speedway is still in operation. It's under different ownership and is located at the Solano County Fairgrounds.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:51 am:   

I will save that book for you, along with some others. While you are here, I will give you my DNA samples and some fingerprints,lol.

Was there another defunct Vallejo Speedway? Where did ALA race?

Bryanthegiant
Username: Bryanthegiant

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   

Racerx Jimmie was not born in Vallejo, He's very big here in San Diego and owns his own Chevy dealership.}

Jimmie Kenneth Johnson was born on September 17, 1975 in El Cajon, California and is a current NASCAR NEXTEL Cup race car driver who currently drives the #48 Lowe's Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS owned by teammate Jeff Gordon and operated by Rick Hendrick's Hendrick Motorsports.

Racerx

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   

I stand corrected,he was born in El Cajon and lived in Vallejo.Dave, just one Vallejo Speedway that I know of. Without having to dig it up, I think it was with the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America)that ALA tried his hand at racing on the road course at the Point.Why do I need your prints and DNA for? Are you trying to tell me that you are........The Kodiac? lol.

Hallowtim

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   

Many of the Nascar drivers started out at the local tracks. Some of them were road course racers at one time.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   

Vallejo Speedway:

http://www.vallejospeedwayhardtops.homestead.com/

Click on the 70's driver pics. The one guy near the bottom right looks like ALA with a black wig!--click on the links for the Petaluma, San Pablo, Antioch and other tracks. Hmmm.--Yes, Tom and ET are after me. They think I am the KODIAC

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   

Here's a good link:

http://www.andretti.com/

They were there before Pocono Raceway came into existence---Compliments of the Torzillo Family.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 8:24 am:   

It's the ads plastered all over the car that I find so tacky...The Tide car looks just like a box of, well, Tide with four large tires.

Hallowtim

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 6:14 am:   

LOL, that's the fun of it Warren. Plus, it costs so much money to run those cars....they need sponsors like that.

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 7:05 am:   

I'm living in the south, born in the north, don't really like racing, its a southern thing mostly. I do know there's fans all over the states,but they treat it like the national past time here. Rednecks are okay, although all southerners aren't rednecks,believe it or not. Anyway it is a neat piece of information about Jeff/Buzz Gordon.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   

It is interesting how a lot of these drivers started out young at local speedways. There is another story. If you click on that Vallejo Speedway link, and look at the photos, There is a group photo of kids at the speedway. One of the kids in the front row is Jimmy Buckner, brother of Bill Buckner, major leaguer.

Seagull
Username: Seagull

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   

VD I went to high school with Bill Buckner's wife, Kathy. The Buckner's were from Napa.

Calistoga Speedway at the Napa County Fair Grounds, a half mile dirt track, was a starting point for some, too. They race 410 Sprint cars. I've seen Tony Stewart race there many times before he joined NASCAR.

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   

Hey, here's a couple hundred pics from the Pocono 500, and the Pennsylvania 500--enjoy.

http://photos.thepoconos.com/picd/

Seagull--Bill Buckner was born in Vallejo, and lived in American Canyon.(Rancho Del Mar). He went to HS in Napa because they didn't have a HS in American Canyon then. Bill and his brother Jimmy played in the West Vallejo Little League, near the main gate to Mare Island. His older brother, Bob, and sister, were also involved in local sports in Vallejo.

Hallowtim

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   

Thanks for the photos!!

Ratman
Username: Ratman

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   

My son is an avid racing fan.
Loves Corvettes with a passion.

Hallowtim

Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:50 am:   

Any photos??

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:29 am:   

There is an update here:

http://www.andretti.com/

Vallejo_dave

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:36 am:   

Hey, here's some cool auto memorabilia. You can place bids by email:

http://www.gatewayauction.com/2006oct28/2006oct28_ garagepreview.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration