The Black Dahlia Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Movies » The Black Dahlia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ubpclaw
Username: Ubpclaw

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:03 am:   

Did anyone see this movie over the weekend? I was so disappointed, it was a Hollywood love story/mystery that barely touched on the Dahlia case. It was more of a back story really to the love triangle with Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johanssen, and the third guy that I cant remember his name lol.

The movie had so little to do with the case that they had to put a blurb at the end of the movie saying that the movie was a fictionalized Hollywood movie loosely based on the murder of Elizabeth Short.

Wrecknball
Username: Wrecknball

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   

I tried to make this clear on the other Black Dahlia thread. I guess you didn't read it....Ellroy's novel is great but the Black Dahlia is only a subplot.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   

I saw it and rather enjoyed it, but yes, the Black Dahlia's background was almost completely fictionalized and really only a small part of the movie. While that's OK for a novel, I am a little disappointed that James Ellroy and Josh Friedman (who wrote the screenplay) strayed so far from the truth; for instance, it depicted the discovery of Beth Short's body in an open field on the edge of town, and a block away were some businesses or something where the cops were engaged in a shootout. In reality, she was found in an empty lot in suburban LA. They even claimed Beth's middle name was Ann; in reality, she had no middle name.

Ubpclaw: you're thinking of Aaron Eckhart (who was also in Suspect Zero 2 years back with Carrie Ann Moss and Ben Kingsley (who's great in anything he does). Actually, it was 3 love triangles (of sorts) when you think about it: Eckhart, Hartnett and Johansson, and Hartnett, Johansson and Hilary Swank... the third was Eckhart, Hartnett/Johansson and Mia Kirshner, since Eckhart's character became totally obsessed with Beth and solving her murder and it made life difficult with his partner and threatened to destroy his relationship as well (which is ultimately what happened).

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 6:55 am:   

Not surprisingly, Ulli Lommel's Black Dahlia movie is sooooo melodramatic and off-topic it makes for a great "saterical comidy." I picked it up by terrible accident this weekend and cut it off within 5 minutes. I double dog dare anyone to try watching it for longer than that.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   

Lemme guess... like his version of The Zodiac Killer, it's as much based on fact as Hidalgo (for anyone who doesn't know, the story behind Hidalgo is 100% BS that never happened, despite the fact that it's claimed to be based on a true story)?

Breakout
Username: Breakout

Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:50 am:   

You are 100% correct from the 5 minutes I saw of it. It was set in modern day Denver, Co. I couldn't stand it any longer when it showed a rocking, dramatic goth girl writing numerical statistics based on 666 in her oversized, coffee table, pentagram-embellished diary. Get a life Ulli!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration