Tower records to go out of business Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Other » Tower records to go out of business « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim_t
Username: Jim_t

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   

Tower Records will be closing in 6-8 weeks after having toubles with bankrupsty. Tower started in Sacramento behind a drugs store and later opened near Fishermans wharf in SF. Tower then opened many more stores in northern and southern california and in some other states. Tower started to have troubles financialy in the 90's when it ran into competition with the internet.

Ratman
Username: Ratman

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   

I bought alot of records from there- esp. at the corner of Columbus and Bay in S.F.

Socal
Username: Socal

Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:27 am:   

Are all Towers closing?

I still use the one on Sports Arena Blv. in San Diego.

Best selection in town.

Jim_t

Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   

All Towers will be closed within 6 to 8 weeks. I wanted to caption this thread "The Day The Music Died". Tower was the place to find records and hang out and hear new music. One of the most famous Tower stores was in North Hollywood on sunset Strip. Rod Macquen wrote a song about it and it was famous for its record releases with huge crowds waiting to see the goups in person. Tower stuck to its tried and true brick and mortar sales even though alot of Towers competitors went out of business. Tower thought that Amazon.com would be a passing fad, along with internet downloads .

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

I bought a lot of albums in the 1980's at Tower Records in the San Fernando Valley. At Weeza's wedding rehearsal in June, Tom & I had nothing better to do except watch the proceedings, so we went out for a stroll and I spotted a Tower records nearby. We browsed for a while, and I couldn't believe how expensive everything was! No wonder I shop online now...

Socal
Username: Socal

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 6:56 am:   

Jim t....One correction......That Tower is on the Sunset Blvd in Hollywood.

I used to be a sunglass salesman and sold to all of the Towers in Socal for a year or two.

I hate to see them go.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:20 am:   

An ex-employee of mine went from here to Tower Records in Nashville.

I remember the one on Columbus and Bay in SF. It was always crowded.

Jim_t

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   

Anther franchise or company that isn't doing so well is Kripee Kreeme dounuts. They have been closing stores the last year due to failing business. I remember how popular they were just a couple of years ago, people would wait in line for hours when a store first opened to try a Krispee Kreeme. They also expanded their business by having dounuts at gas stations and supermarkets. Also their stock soared in value, now the boom is over.

Ratman
Username: Ratman

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:05 am:   

Not much else is better than getting a Krispy Kreme right off the line- it practically melts in your mouth and makes you crave more and more and... Anyway I think their main problem (like so many others), is that they are toooo BIG and even though they're good anytime they can't be delivered warm to all places like before when they had a smaller area to deliver to.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   

Snapple had the same problem back in the 90's... they kept growing and growing, and projected all sorts of amazing things, then suddenly, business levelled off and they had oodles and oodles of stock sitting around in warehouses just getting old. In 1994-95, I worked in a warehouse doing inventory of flavored teas and fruit drinks, and we had a contract for Snapple which we lost, presumably because the projected demand for it was never there to begin with, so they no longer needed us to produce any. We finally got rid of it all, but it took months... and it sounds like Krispy Kreme is having the same problem, projecting a demand for donuts that isn't really there...

Jim_t

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   

Krispe Kreme was rolled over by the Atkins diet. How many people do you know that follow the Atkins and eat normal foods in strange ways!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration