Cheap Trick Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Music » Cheap Trick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_voigt
Username: Tom_voigt

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   

Yeah, they were very successful. But why didn't they make the level of super group?

Check 'em out in a classic late-70s performance on YouTube.

Yarbchris
Username: Yarbchris

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   

I grew up listening to Cheap Trick on 8-track. I loved their songs: Voices, High Roller, Way of the World. I remember people always accused them of being Beatles imitators, but they had a unique sound. I suspect that reaching their peak in the Disco era hindered any chance at being a "super group." How could you have topped the Bee Gees on a commercial level?

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   

By it's original definition a "supergroup" was a band comprised of members who came from well-known bands and it was coined when Cream formed. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young became a supergroup.
I guess it's come to mean an upper echelon group today or a superstar group. I would say there are four classifications of groups by the venues they can fill. Bar/Club Band, Theater venue band, Arena band and Stadium band. Cheap Trick actually did that entire circuit but are now back to the theater venue status. Not too many bands that can maintain that stadium superstar status like the Rolling Stones, Eagles, Pink Floyd, U2 and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have.
It's cool that they have the same original four members in Cheap Trick today as they did when they first started as Cheap Trick in 1974. Peterson left for about seven years in the 80's but from 1974-1981 and 1987 to today it's the same four guys. That's pretty cool

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   

Good idea. I think we need a music thread to discuss what Z might have listened to back in the day. Cheap Trick? I doubt it. Maybe Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Cold Blood, Big Brother, The Loading Zone, Moby Grape, and others, of course the Beatles. I have a feeling Z cruised around in his car, without valid license and insurance, listening to AM radio. When the FM live rock scene took over around that time, it may have blown him away!

Scott_ben
Username: Scott_ben

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   

Cheap Trick is a great band! Very influencial as well. Their first three or four albums are all brilliant. Live at Budokan of course was the one everybody had to have back in '79. "I Want You To Want Me" was huge.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   

I love their rendition of " Ain't That a Shame" from Fats Domino.

Oklahoma_mike
Username: Oklahoma_mike

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   

I suspect that Z was NOT a big fan of most 60's music. No evidence, but I have always had a gut feeling that Z was someone from that time and place who did not identify with the whole Haight-Ashbury, summer of love, flower power thing. I think he saw himself as 'too straight' for that type of thing. He did at least, though, know of the Beatle's reference to Blue Meanies. But that was in the animated movie Yellow Submarine, and we all pretty much agree he was a movie fan.
Yellow Submarine, btw, is still a great trip!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration