BTK's house to be a park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Zodiackiller.com Message Board » General Discussion » Other » BTK's house to be a park « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Weeza
Username: Weeza

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/10/btk.house.ap/inde x.html

PARK CITY, Kansas (AP) -- The suburban Wichita house where BTK serial killer Dennis Rader lived with his family for 25 years will be torn down and turned into a park access point, city officials said.

Park City bought the home from Rader's wife, Paula, for just under $60,000, Mayor Dee Stuart said. The City Council authorized the purchase in November and the closing was last week.

Rader, who called himself BTK for "bind, torture and kill," pleaded guilty in 2005 to killing 10 people between 1974 and 1991. He is serving 10 consecutive life terms in prison.

The house will be demolished before spring and turned into an entryway to Jardine Memorial Park, a small park with swings and a basketball court, Stuart said.

The property had been put up for auction in 2005, and an exotic dance club owner had tried to buy it for $90,000, but the sale fell through amid a debate over how the proceeds should be distributed.

Vallejo_dave
Username: Vallejo_dave

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   

What a shame from an investigative standpoint. There may be further evidence associated with that house that may not be apparent today, but could be helpful in the future. Maybe they should sell the dismantled house on ebay.

Evidence?--I'm thinking of routes from the house to his car, or where he started his day from, in addition to routes to neighbor's homes. What did he see when he looked out the windows? This will all be lost.

Greygost
Username: Greygost

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   

Dave:

You're probably right about the loss of any evidence(particularly if this mutt was successful in concealing bodies he didn't confess to). On the other hand, most of Park City and Wichita are undoubtedly glad to see it go and get the nightmare behind them.

Cheers,

Bernie

Sanfranguns
Username: Sanfranguns

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:23 am:   

I always thought it was sort of abrupt the way the investigation came to a screeching halt. There really could be more to investigate with this case.

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   

I agree absolutely. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Rader was convicted of murdering 10 people, 5 in the first 3 months of his reign of terror, and the other 5 over 30 years and 10 months. Sorry, I just do not believe he murdered 50% of his victims in the first 0.8% of the 31 years and 41 days he was at large since the Otero murders and the other 50% during the subsequent 99.2% of that time. I suspect he's guilty of at least 2 dozen murders, probably more, and probably in other states besides Kansas.

Vscantu
Username: Vscantu

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Actually Ed, you may want to revise your statistics slightly. I agree that he probably killed lots more than we have found out about. But Raders' known killing spree lasted for 17 years: 1974-1991. (The last victim was Delores Davis, 1991).

Ed_neil
Username: Ed_neil

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   

Known killing spree. Rader was at large from 1-15-1974 to 2-25-2005, which is 31 years and 41 days. He claimed he was planning one more murder but was caught before he could, and I personally doubt he hadn't killed anyone in the last 14 years before he was arrested. Others have opined that the Oteros were not the first either, and I am inclined to agree with them, but they are the first we know of, so we have to start from there (and with Rader not claiming any others, all we can really do is speculate).

James78
Username: James78

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   

There's no doubt he killed at least double of what he claimed! A guy like that, he just don't want to be executed.

Johno
Username: Johno

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   

The FBI's main argument is that once he started talking they couldn't shut him up and they feel he would have confessed to any additional murders.

There are a lot of unsolved murders of women in the witchita area that occured during the BTK years that went unsolved. Linda Shawn Casey, Denise Rathbun, Carol Mould, Sherry Baker, Hattie Smith, Deanna Law and Gayle Sorenson among them. I would think that there would be a good chance that Rader may have killed one or more of those women and also a good chance he may have been responsible for a more that were out of the area or out of state.

I seem to remember that it was reported that some of jewelery found among his stash was never linked to belonging to any of the 10 murders he confessed to.
Like Sanfranguns says, the investigation came to an abrupt end. Once he confessed to the Hedge and Davis murders, which he immediately did, the investigation was over.

Warren
Username: Warren

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:59 am:   

Johno, well it's certainly cheaper and less embarassing that way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration